ECHEREOBIA, CHRISTOPHER OGBUJI
- B. Agric. (Hons.) Crop Production and Protection (Jan.1999) , Federal University of Agric. Umudike
- Master of Science ( Entomology, April, 2002), Michael Okpara University of Agric. Umudike
- Ph.D (Applied Entomology) in Progress.
- MASHAV SCHOLARSHIP to attend a short training on Research and Development of New Concept in integrated pest management held at Israel from 4th-26th May, 2009.
- African Doctoral Academy Scholarship to attend a summer Course in Research Methods held at Stellenbosch University, South Africa from 17th-28th January, 2011.
Teaching and Professional Experience
As a Lecturer, my duties include ; Teaching, Research and Extension services. My research thrust is the control of insect pests of Agricultural importance using environmentally safe and sustainable control measures such as Integrated Pest Management, use of biopesticides and irradiations.
- Echereobia, C.O. and S.O. Emosairue (2009). Evaluation of the efficacy of aqueous plant extracts in the control of Okra flea beetles (Podagrica species). International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development (IJARD), Vol. 12, Pp. 136-142.
- Adikuru N.C. and Echereobia, C.O. ( 2009 ). Pesticide education for school children in Nigeria. The journal of pesticide action network, UK. No 88 pp.19 – 20.
- Echereobia, C.O., Okere, C.S. and Emeasor, K.C. ( 2010). Determination of repellence potentials of some aqueous plant extracts against Okra flea beetles ( Podagrica uniforma). Journal of Biopesticides, India, 3(2) : 505-507.
- Echereobia,C.O., Ene-obong, E.E., Chinatu, L.N. and Chigbundu, I.N. (2010). Evaluation of tomato (Lycopersicon lycopersicon) Cultivars for yield and yield attributes in acid soil. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development (IJARD), Vol.13(2). Pp 370-373.
- Echereobia, C.O., Ojiako, F.O., Onwubiko, N.C. and Obilo, M.K. (2011). Screening of Cowpea Cultivars for yield and Resistance to Cowpea pod borer (Maruca testulalis ). International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development ( IJARD), Vol.14(1), Pp 405-409
KEYAGHA ROSEMARY EBERECHI
- B.Agric Tech., (2004), Crop Science, Federal University of Technology Owerri.
- M.Sc., (2009), Plant Breeding, University of Ibadan, Ibadan Oyo State.
- N.Y.S.C Kano State Honors Award. August, 2006.
- The Goi Peace Foundation and United Nations, Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) International Essay Competition 1-4-5 Hirakawacho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0093 Japan. September, 2007.
Teaching and Professional Experience
Plant Breeding and Genetics
- Young Professionals Platform on Agricultural Research for Development (YPARD). 2010
- Science Association of Nigeria(SAN), 2010
- Genetics Society of Nigeria (GSN), 2010
- Agricultural Society of Nigeria (ASN). 2009
- Organic Agriculture Project in Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria. 2009
- Nigerian Conservation Foundation (NCF). 2009
- Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM). 2006
Many important agricultural traits such as crop yield, weight gain in animals, and fat content of meat are quantitative traits, and much of the pioneering research into the modes of inheritance of these traits was performed by agricultural geneticists. I have keen interest in carrying out research to evaluate the mode of inheritance of these agricultural traits that are believed to be controlled by multiple genes segregating according to Mendel’s law.
In my recent research on a dwarf okra variety, I was able to incorporate the dwarf trait that was found to be monogenic into some desirable cultivars to reduce plant height thereby minimizing lodging as well as increasing plant population per hectare which may have resulted in high pod yield.
As a plant breeder, I am interested in the development of new crop varieties that will withstand pests& diseases, cope with drought and other environmental stresses; and dramatically increase farmers’ yields using improved seeds produced through conventional and molecular breeding methods, thus increasing farmer’s productivity, producing a good marketable surplus, hence making a major contribution towards ending hunger and poverty in Nigeria.
- Onuoha, E.R., Mbuka C.O., Onyishi G.C., Aken’Ova, M.E., and Poly Mba, C.P (2011) Inheritance of Dwarf Plant height in Okra. (Abelmoschus esculentus), International Journal of Agriculture; Pan-African Journal series; Pan 2010-760.
- Onuoha R.E., Ashama Aku Omeji and Rosemary Eberechi Onuoha,(2010), Profitability Analysis of Food Vending as Micro Enterprise in Aguata L.G.A.Of Anambra State, Nigeria; Journal of Occupation and Training. Special Edition, Pp 1-10.
- G.O. Ihejirika, M.I. Nwufo, C.I. Duruigbo, E.U. Onweremadu, O.P. Obilo, E.R. Onuoha and K.O. Ogbede. (2006) Effects of Plant extract and plant density on the severity of leaf spot disease of groundnut (Cercospora arachidicola Hori.) in Imo State., Journal of plant Sciences 1(4): 374-377, 2006. ISSN 1816-4951 Academic journals, Inc USA.
- Onyishi, G.C., Ajagu, C.O., Onuoha, E.R., Okoporie, E.O., and Dialoke, S.A.(2010).Evaluation of the performance of Upland Rice cultivars as affected by fertilizer levels in a Clay loam Ultisol, Nigerian Agricultural Journal VOL 41(2)71-75
- Mbuka, C.O.; Agu C.M.; Ogwudire V.E., and Onuoha E.R. (2011) Growth and Yield of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus L. Moench) as affected by root-gall nematode disease( Meloidogyne javanica). International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development. IJARD, 14(1)
OFOR, MARIAN ONOMERHIEVURHOYEN
- B.Sc. Botany, 1991, University of Ibadan
- M.Sc. Crop Protection, 2000, Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- PhD Crop Protection, 2010, Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- Certificate of Attendance - Intensive training workshop on the cultivation of Edible Tropical Mushrooms, UNAAB, Ogun State, Nigeria, September, 2008.
- Certificate of Attendance - Short Course in Practical Management Course on Crop Protection, Ede, The Netherlands, Nov. 2008.
- Certificate of Attendance – 1st International Summer School on Organic Agriculture, September, 2010.
Postharvest Storage Technology
Teaching and Professional Experience
- Ofor, M.O., Agu, C.M. and Dialoke, S.A. (2003). Postharvest quality changes in rot infected tomatoes in South-eastern Nigeria. Journal of Sustainable Tropical Agricultural Research 6:5-10.
- Ofor, M.O., Ngobili, C.A. and Nwufo, M.I. (2004). Ethno-botanical uses of Garcinia kola in Imo State, Nigeria. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development. Vol 5: 140-144.
- Ofor, M.O. and Ben-Chendo, G.N. (2007). Evaluation of Postharvest monetary losses of tomatoes (Lycopersicon esculentum Mill.) in South-eastern Nigeria. International Journal of Tropical Agriculture and Food Systems. Vol. 1, No. 4, 390-393.
- Ofor, M.O., Ibeawuchi, I.I. and Oparaeke, A.M. (2009). Crop Protection Problems in Production of Maize and Guinea Corn in Northern Guinea Savanna of Nigeria and control Measures. Nature and Science, 2009; 7(12):8-14.
- Ofor, M.O., Nwufo, M.I., Ogoke, I.J., Ngwuta, A.A., Ibeawuchi, I.I. and Duruigbo, C.I. (2010). Postharvest Storage Characteristics of Bitter kola (Garcinia kola Heckel.) in Imo State, Nigeria. New York Science Journal 2010; 3(3):6-9.
OKOLI NNEKA ANGELA
- M.Sc in Horticulture, Feburary, 2010, Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- B. Agric Tech. Crop Science and Technology, March, 2005, Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- Fresh maize production
- Rapid multiplication of cassava propagule
- Cassava root and leaves production
Teaching and Professional Experience
Vegetable and root crop production
- NYSC 2005
- Member Agricultural Society of Nigeria
- Member Organic Agriculture in Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria
- Member Horticultural Society of Nigeria
- University Scholar Scheme Award 1999/2000.
- Dean’s Award SAAT – Best graduating student 2003/2004.
Food supply has become limiting in Nigeria due to factors such as adverse weather conditions, low soil fertility and acidity, diseases and pests as well inadequate supply of high yielding propagating materials. Therefore, my research interest lies in the rapid multiplication of cassava propagule by manipulating cultural practices that will enhance cassava stem yield.
Fresh maize and cassava production in the South eastern Nigeria is marred by low soil fertility and high acidity. To produce these crops within this agroecology, soil acidity has to ameliorated using organic and inorganic lime, while soil fertility can be improved using poultry manure for optimum yield.
- Okoli, N.A.; Chukwuma, M.C. and Alagba, R.A. (2010): Effect of hydrated lime supplemented with an organic amendment on maize growth and yield in an Isohyperthermic Arenic kandiudult, Southeastern Nigeria. Interrnational Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, 13 (1): 149-155.
- Okoli, N.A; Obiefuna, J.C; Ibeawuchi, I.I (2010): Effect of plant density and poultry manure on the growth and yield of cassava. Acta Agronomica Nigeria, 10 (2): 123-131.
- Okoli, N.A; Obiefuna, J.C; Ibeawuchi, I.I. and Alagba, A.R. (2010):Effect of plant density and poultry manure on rapid multiplication of cassava propagule. Journal of Agriculture and Social Research, 10 (2): 151-160.
- Okoli, N.A; Obiefuna, J.C; Ibeawuchi, I.I and Alagba, A.R. (2010). Potential of palm bunch products in sustainable crop pioduction in Nigeria. Proceedings of the 44th Annual Conference of Agriculltural Society of Nigeria. LAUTECH, Ogbomoso. 862-864.
- Okoli, N.A. (2010): Profitability of a smallholder late season rapid multiplication of cassava stem enterprise in Southeastern Nigeria. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, 13 (2): 364-369.
Ojiako Onyemaobi Francis
- B.Agric., 1984: Crop Science (Horticulture Option), University of Nigeria,
Nsukka, Second Class Hons., (Upper Division).
- M.Sc., 1990: Crop Production (Entomology Option), University of Ilorin,
Ilorin, Kwara State.
- Ph.D., 2007: Crop Protection, University of Ilorin, Ilorin, Ilorin, Kwara
- Stored Product Entomology
- Bio-pesticides/Biological Control of arthropods
Teaching and Professional Experience
- Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin, Nigeria (NYSC) (August1984-July 1985)
- Walebod Farms Limited, Ilorin. (1986-1992)
- Leonix Ventures Limited, Ilorin (An agricultural firm) (1992-2009)
- Member, Entomological Society of Nigeria (ESN)
- Member Agricultural Society of Nigeria
- Member, Organic Agriculture Project in Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria
- Member, Agrochemical Association of Nigeria (Crop-Life)
- Member, Nigerian Society for Plant Protection
In the last three decades, considerable efforts have been directed at screening plants in order to develop new botanical insecticides as alternatives to the existing synthetics which are associated with problems such as phytotoxicity, pest resurgence and resistance, widespread environmental hazards and high costs, etc.
Various workers have screened some plant materials as protectants of field and stored produce against these insect pests. The recourse to the use of bio-pesticides (and acceptance of organic farming), therefore, initially received rave acclamation and acceptance. The euphoria was, however, short-lived as most of these natural products could not protect the crops/produce as expected. Under experimental condition, the bio-pesticides mostly come out highly effective. When, however, these plant products are applied in real – life situations, they performed less creditably. The situation, therefore, is very worrisome. A solution must be found, and fast, before our farmers lose faith in the use of biopesticides for storage management.
The future of agriculture, especially for the resource poor subsistent farmers in the so-called under-developed world, lies in the use of non-toxic substances for preservation and general crop protection. My keen interest, therefore, is in the sustenance of the use of biological control and bio-pesticides in the control of arthropod pests of stored products and field crops.
- Balogun, O.S; Idowu, A.A. And Ojiako, F.O. (2004): Evaluation of the effects of four plant materials and fernazzan D on the mycelial growth of Aspergillus flavus isolated from stored maize grains. The Plant Scientist 4(4): 105-114.
- Ojiako, F.O. (2007): Effects of ten plant materials in the preservation of stored cowpea against Callosobruchus maculatus F. Agrosearch: 9 (1& 2) 33 – 42.
- Ojiako, F.O. and Adesiyun, A.A. (2007): Comparative effectiveness of some plant materials and Pirimiphos – methyl on the mortality of the Cowpea weevil, Callosobruchus maculatus F. (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) in stored Cowpea: Journal of Agricultural Research & Development 6: 51 – 62
- Ojiako, F. O. and Adesiyun, A.A. (2008): Comparison of Moringa oleifera LAM seed powder and Actellic 2% Dust in the control of Callosobruchus maculatus F. (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) on stored Cowpea, and their effects on nutritional and organoleptic characteristics. Research on Crops 9 (2): 466 – 475.
- Ojiako, F. O. and Adesiyun, A. A (2008): Post-infestation assessment of some plant materials and Actellic dust on Callosobruchus maculatus F. (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) adult emergence and seed damage. Environment and Ecology 26 (3A):1364 –1368.
- Ojiako, F. O. and Adesiyun, A. A. (2008): Effects of selected plant materials and Pirimiphos-methyl (Actellic 2% D®) on oviposition by Callosobruchus maculatus (Fab.) [Coleoptera:Bruchidae] and on organoleptic properties of treated and stored cowpea [Vigna unguiculata (L) Walp.] Nigerian Journal of Entomology 25: 26 – 33.
- Ojiako, F. O. (2009): Assessment of the curative potency of some plant materials applied to stored cowpea with established infestation on progeny emergence of Callosobruchus maculatus (F.) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae). In: Organic Agriculture for Health, Wealth and Environmental Conservation: Proceedings of the 5th National Conference of Organic Agriculture Project in Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria (Eds: Obiefuna, J.C.; Udedibia, A.B.I.; Osuji, G.E.; Ofoh, M.C.; Osuigwe, D.I.; Onweremadu, E.U. and Etuk, E.B.; November 15-19); Pp 149 – 158
- Dialoke, S. A.; Agu, C. M.; Ojiako, F. O.; Onweremadu, E.; Onyishi G. C.; Ozor, N.; Echezona, B. C.; Offor, M. O.; Ibeawuchi, I. I.; Chigbundu, I. N.; Ngwuta, A. A. and Ugwoke, F. O. (2010): Survey of insect pests on pigeon pea in Nigeria. Journal of SAT Agricultural Research 8. eJournal. Icrisat.org. 1 – 8
- Echereobia, C. O., Ojiako, F. O., Onwubiko, N. C. and Obilo, M. R. (2011): Screening of cowpea cultivars for yield and resistance to the cowpea borer (Maruca testulalis). Int’l Journal of Agric. and Rural Dev. 14 (1): 405 – 409.
- Ofoh, M. C.; Obiefuna, J. C.; Onwuliri, C. O. E.; Ibeawuchi, I. I.; Ibe, A. E.; Ojiako, F. O.; Adikuru, N. C.; Nkwocha, V. I. and Chukwueke, T. C. (2011): Nursery and field establishment of Moringa oleifera: The Federal University of Technology Owerri Experience. Int’l Journal of Agric. and Rural Dev. 14 (2): 589 – 594.
- Adikuru, N. C.; Okafor, O. E.; Ojiako, F. O. and Ibeawuchi, I. I. (2011): Prospects and challenges in the utilization of Moringa oleifera Lam. For agroecosystem Sustainability in Nigeria. Int’l Journal of Agric. And Rural Dev. 14 (2): 661 – 665.
TOM CHRISTIAN THADDEUS
- B.Sc.Ed.Agric.Unicross 1991
- M.SC CROP SC. (CROP PRODUCTION) SEPT 1995
Teaching and Professional Experience
Field And plantation crop production
Christian Thaddeus Tom is an important figure in the field of crop science with a research interest in horticulture (plantain production).He is currently a lecturer in the Department of Crop Science and Technology, School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology, Federal University OF Technology, Owerri. He joined the services of the university in January 2001 as an assistant lecturer, now lecturer 1. Tom read and obtained a B.Sc.(ed) and M.Sc. from University of UYO 1991 and University of Nigeria 1995 respectively. His PhD programme is in advanced stage of completion. He is a member of Agricultural Society of Nigeria and the Horticultural Society of Nigeria. He has some journal publications to his credit.
- Tom, C. T and J. E Asiegbu(2002). Evaluation of short duration ICRISAT pigeon pea cultivars in mixture with FARZ – 7 maize under the derived savannah conditions of Nigeria. Int. J. Agric Rural Dev: 3:138 – 43
- Tom, C. T and J. E Asiegbu (2002). Effect of time of planting on grain yield and yield components of short duration pigeon pea cultivars in Nigeria. In: M. U. Iloeje, G. E. Osuji, U. Herbert and G. N. Asumugha (ed). Proceedings of the 36th annual conference of the Agricultural society of Nigeria held at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria. October 20 – 24. 2002. Pp 418 – 421.
- Ibeawuchi L. L., C. T. Tom, M. C. Ofoh and C. C. Opara (2004). Effect of planting date, harvest stage and pod location on seed protein content and water uptake of Lima beans (Phsolus lanatus)Pakistan Journal of Biological science 7(6) 63 – 130.
- Ogoke, I. J, Igwe C. S, Tom C. T and Ofoh, M. C. (2006). Effect of Nitrogen fertilizer split treatment on maize yield in a humid tropical environment. Int Journal Agric. Rural Dev. 7(1) 133 – 137.
- Tom, C. T. Ibeawuchi I.I., Nwufor M. I., Obiefuna, J. C., Nwosu, F. O. And Okorowu, F. C(2007). Utilisation of food crops in Imo state, Nigeria implications for sustainable development. Global approaches to Extension Practice (GAEP) Vol 1 -3. No2. PP137 – 145.
Dr Obilo, Oyibo Patricia
- BSc in Botany from Abia State University, Uturu (1995)
- MSc. in Plant Protection and Environmental Biology (1998)
- PhD in Plant Pathology (2008) University of Ibadan
- Advance Organic Agriculture, 1st UNAAB international Summer School programme on Organic Agriculture held at the
University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Nigeria, September 13 – 24, 2010.
- Electronic library resources training workshop on Research4life and TEEAL programmes, November 15 – 17,
2010 at the University of Port Harcourt, Nigeria.
- Seminar on Certification and regulations for food safety. (Sense and Nonsense) Wageningen, The Netherlands,
31st May, 2005.
She obtained her BSc degree in Botany from Abia State University, Uturu (1995) and has a MSc. in Plant Protection
and Environmental Biology (1998), M.Phil in Plant Ecology (2001) and PhD in Plant Pathology (2008) all from University
of Ibadan. Her research interests are in the area of control of plant diseases of field crops, vegetable fruits using plant
extracts and cultural practices. She was awarded the Netherlands fellowship to do short courses on International Training
Programme on Integrated Pest Management for Sustainable Agriculture and Food Safety at Wageningen, Netherlands (May 23-July 1,
- Obilo, O.P., Ikotun, B., Ihejirika, G.O. , Ibeawuchi, I.I. and T.T. Oben (2010). ‘The effect of the incidence of
cassava anthracnose disease (CAD) on the performance and yield of cassava cultivars’. Crop Protection 2010, Vol.29,
Issue5, May 2010: 482 – 486. Elsevier Publishers Ltd.
- Obilo, O.P. and B. Ikotun. (2009).‘Spread of CAD through the use of infected planting materials and susceptible
cassava varieties in Nigeria’. International Journal of Agric. Dev. (IJARD), 2009.12(1): 66-74
- Obilo, O.P. and B. Ikotun. (2009). ‘Effect of canker size on availability of cassava planting materials in Nigeria.’
African Crop Science Journal, Vol. 16. No. 3, pp. 203 – 209. ISSN 1021 – 9730.
- . Obilo, O.P., Ikotun, B., Ihejirika, G.O. and Ibeawuchi, I.I. (2009) ‘Reaction of selected cassava cultivars to cassava
anthracnose disease (CAD) in Nigeria.’ Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences, 2009. Vol. 3, Issue 2: 186 - 193. ISSN 2071 – 7024
- Obilo OP. and Ikotun B, (2009). ‘The effect of Cassava Anthracnose Disease on the yield of some cassava cultivars in
Eastern Nigeria’. Journal of Applied Biosciences 14: 761 - 767.
Dr Onyishi, Godwin Chuka
- B. Agric. (Crop Science) 1979. University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
- M.Sc. (1988) in Crop Science, Specializing in Crop production with emphasis in Plant breeding and Genetics.
University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
- Ph.D (1992) in Crop Science, Specializing in Crop Production with emphasis in Plant breeding and Genetics.
University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- Fellow of the Institute of Corporate Administration (FCAI)
- Crop Improvement and field Crop production (Maize, Tropical pumpkin (cucurbita maxima) water melon, rice, okra).
- Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Agronomy and
ecological Management, Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu.
- Director, Technical services, Enugu State Agricultural Development Programme (1997 -2009). Collaborated with research
Institutes, Universities and input Agencies for the purpose of Generating improved technology packages/innovations to address
identified farmers production constraints. Conducted on-farm research trials and multiplication of foundation seeds for
distribution to farmers.
- Crop facilitator for Enugu State, Nigeria in the Food and Agric. Organization (FAO) Managed National Special Porgamme
for Food Security in Nigeria (NSPFS)
- Enugu State Agronomist in the International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA) Managed Cassava Mosaic Disease
Project (IITA/CMD Project).
- Enugu State Root and Tuber expansion programme (RTEP) Coordinator in the IFAD Sponsored RTEP.
- Agric. Consultant with NEXIA International Business Solutions.
Born in Nsukka town of Enugu State of Nigeria on 4th May, 1954. Attended St. Joseph’s Primary School, Nsukka (1960-1967).
St. Teresa’s College Nsukka (1970-1974) and University of Nigeria, Nsukka where he obtained B. Agric (crop Science) in 1979,
M. Sc (1988), and Ph.D (1992) in Crop Science, specializing in crop production with emphasis in Plant breeding and Genetics.
Teaches Crop Genetics, Plant breeding, and Crop production. Goal of research is Crop improvement.
Member of the African Academy of Sciences, Agricultural Society of Nigeria (ASN), Genetics Society of Nigeria (GSN),
Horticultural Society of Nigeria and Organic Agricultural Project in Tertiary Institution in Nigeria (OAPTIN).
- Onyishi, G.C.; Ajagu, C.O.; Onuoha, E. R.; Okporie, E. O. and Dialoke, S. A. (2010). Evaluation of the performance
of upland rice cultivars as affected by Fertilizer levels in a clay loan ultisol. Niger. Agric. J. Vol 41(2): 71 – 76.
- Onuoha, E. R.; Mbuka, C. O.; Onyishi, G.C.; Aken’ova, M.E. and Polymbah, C.P. (2010). Inheritance of Dwarf plant height
in Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) moench). International Journal of Agriculture, Vol. 3 (2): 26:29.
- Onyishi, G.C. and Obi, I. U. (1994). Correlation of protein, oil, amytose, and amydopectim contents with five agronomic
traits in maize (Zea mays L.) Nigeria Journal of Sc. Vol. 28: 7 -10.
- Obi, I. U. and Onyishi (1994). Development of high protein population maize (Zea mays L.) from two cycles of reciprocal
recurrent selection. Samara Journal of Agric. Res. Vol. 11:63 -68
- Onyishi, G. C. and Obi, I. U. (1990). Reciprocal recurrent selection for increased protein, oil, amylase and amylopectim
contents of two populations of maize (Zea mays L.) Niger Agric. J. vol. 25 (2): 58 -68.
Iheanyichukwu J. Ogoke
- B. Agric., 1990, Crop Production, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria.
- M.Sc., 1994, Horticulture, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Ph.D., 1999, Crop Physiology, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Visiting Research Scholar, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria (1996-1999)
IFS Grantee (2004)
- Mechanisms of increasing crop production efficiency
- The responses of agronomic and non-crop species in crop production
- Stress physiology in field and horticultural crops
- The optimization and harnessing of N from Biological Nitrogen Fixation in legumes for crop production.
- Member, Senate Examination Committee (2011 till date)
- Examination Officer, Department of Crop Science and Technology.
- SIWES Co-ordinator
The challenge of food insufficiency has remained in focus especially in sub-Saharan Africa where crop production
is carried out within cropping systems that have been adapted to suit the agro-climatic conditions but with limited inputs.
Improving such cropping systems will require that agricultural technologies are not wholesomely imposed but adapted relative
to prevailing local conditions. In addition, efficiency of resource use in agriculture has become imperative especially in
sub-Saharan Africa where fertilizers are either unavailable or costly. Also the dependence of crop production on rainfall
has remained a source for concern. Dr. Ogoke’s research efforts, therefore, have focused on mechanisms of increasing crop
production efficiencies within the cropping systems which traverse different ecological zones in Nigeria. One major goal
has been the reduction of high energy input in the farmers’ fields.
- Ogoke, I.J., Togun, A.O., Carsky, R.J. and Dashiell, K.E. (2006). N2 Fixation by soyabean in the Nigerian moist savanna:
Effects of maturity class and phosphorus fertilizer. Tropicultura, 24(4): 193-199.
- Ogoke, I.J., Carsky, R.J., Togun, A.O., and Dashiell, K.E. (2006). Phosphorus recovery from triple superphosphate by
soyabean in the Guinea savanna of Nigeria. Tropical Science, 46(3): 129-133.
- Ogoke, I.J., Togun, A.O., and Dashiell, K.E. (2006). Soybean phosphorus-use efficiency in the moist savanna of West
Africa. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, 28(1): 5-18.
- Ogoke, I.J., Igwe, C.S., Tom, C.T. and Ofor, M.C. (2006). Effects of nitrogen fertilizer split-treatments on maize
yield in a humid tropical environment. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, 7(1): 133-137.
- Ogoke, I.J., Togun, A.O., Carsky, R.J. and Dashiell, K. (2004). Effect of phosphorus fertilizer on soya bean residue
turnover in the tropical moist savanna. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science, 190: 367-373.
- Ogoke, I.J., Togun, A.O., Carsky, R.J. and Dashiell, K. (2004). Phosphorus uptake and balance in a soyabean-maize
rotation in the moist savanna of West Africa. Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development in the Tropics and Subtropics, 105:
- Ogoke, I.J., Togun, A.O., Carsky, R.J. and Dashiell, K. (2004). Effect of phosphorus fertilizer on soyabean pod yield
in the Guinea savanna. Nigeria Agricultural Journal, 39: 40-48.
- Ogoke, I.J., Carsky, R.J., Togun, A.O. and Dashiell, K. (2003). Effect of P fertilizer application on N balance of
soybean crop in the Guinea savanna of Nigeria. Agriculture Ecosystems and Environment, 100: 153-159.
- Ogoke, I.J., Togun, A.O., Carsky, R.J. and Dashiell, K. (2003). Maturity class and P effects on soya bean grain yield
in the moist savanna of West Africa. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science, 189: 422-427.
- Ogoke, I.J., Egesi, C.N. and Obiefuna, J.C. (2003). A review of some non-destructive linear measurement procedures for
leaf area determination in crops. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development 4:74-80.
- Ogoke, I.J., Carsky, R.J., Togun, A.O., and Dashiell, K. (2002). Organic carbon inputs by soyabean in the West African
moist savanna. Biological Agriculture and Horticulture, 20: 133-142.
- Ogoke, I.J., Carsky, R.J., Togun, A.O. and Dashiell, K. 2001. Maize yield following phosphorus-fertilized soybean
in the Nigerian guinea savanna, pp205-213. In Badu-Apraku, B., M.A.B Fakorede, M. Ouedraogo and R.J. Carsky (eds.).
Impact, Challenges and Prospects of Maize Research and Development in West and Central Africa. Proceedings of a Regional
Maize Workshop, IITA-Cotonou, Benin Republic, 4-7 May 1999, IITA/WECAMAN.
GABRIEL ONYENEGECHA IHEJIRIKA
- B.AGRIC. TECH., 1994, CROP PRODUCTION, FEDERAL UNIV. OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI
- M.Sc., 2000, AGRONOMY (CROP PROTECTION), FEDERAL UNIV. OF TECH., OWERRI
- Ph.D., 2005, CROP PROTECTION (PLANT PATHOLOGY), FED. UNIV. O0F TECH., OWERRI
- MEMBER, NIGERIAN SOCIETY OF PLANT PROTECTION,
- MEMBER, AGRICULTURAL SOCIETY OF NIGERIA,
- MEMBER, NUTRITIONAL SOCIETY OF NIGERIA,
- MEMBER,HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY OF NIGERIA,
- MEMBER, GLOBAL FOOD CRISIS
- MEMBER,RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT NETWORK.
- PLANT PATHOLOGY,
- CROP PROTECTION;
- POST HARVEST LOSSES AND CONTROL
- CROP DISEASES AND CONTROL
- PESTICIDES TOXICOLOGY AND APPLICATION
- PHYSIOLOGY OF PARASITISM
- CROP PESTS AND CONTROL
- COMPUTER AND APPRECIATIONS
- REMOTE SENSING
- ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT AND IMPACT ASSESSMENT.
MERITOROUS AWARD NIGERIAN ASSOCIATION OF AGRIC STUDENTS, FUTO 1992;
MERITOROUS SERVICE AWARD IFE-SOUTH CORPERS ASSOCIATION 1993/94.
Dr. Gabriel Onyenegecha Ihejirika, a Senior lecturer has been at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri Nigeria since 2001. He attended Owu Amakohia Community School in Ikeduru LGA between 1974 – 1980; Amuzi Community Secondary School Ahiazu LGA between 1980 – 1985 and the Federal University of Technology, Owerri between 1988 – 1993. He holds a bachelor degree in Crop Production, masters in Agronomy (Crop Protection), and a doctorate degree in Crop Protection with specialization in Plant Pathology (Mycology). He is a member of several professional bodies including Nigerian Society of Plant protection, Agricultural Society of Nigeria, Nutritional Society of Nigeria, and Horticultural Society of Nigeria. His primary research interests are in areas of identification of microorganisms associated with field and storage diseases of tropical crops and their control. He has co-authored a number of books including Fostering Subsistence Agriculture, Food Supplies and Health in Sub-Saharan Africa. Agricultural extension in the tree crop sub-sector in Nigeria. Agrarian Science for Sustainable Resource Management. He has attended and presented research papers in more than 30 conferences and has made well over 47 publications in both national and International Journals. He has supervised well over 30 undergraduate, 8 Masters and 3 Ph.D students. Dr. Gabriel Ihejirika is married with three children.
- IHEJIRIKA, G. O., NWUFO, M. I., (2001). Plant population and Nitrogen Application on Severity of leafspot disease of Benniseed. African Journal of Science and Technology. Vol. 2, No. 1 & 2: 203 – 207.
- IHEJIRIKA, G. O. (2002). Fungicidal effects of selected Medicinal Plants on Post Harvest Rots and Biodeterioration of Banana. African Journal of Science and Technology. Vol. 3, No. 1 & 2: 68 – 70.
- G. O. IHEJIRIKA AND M. I. NWUFO, (2002). Varietal Differences on Incidence and Severity of Leafspot Disease of Groundnut. African Journal of Science and Technology. Vol., 3: No. 1 & 2: 44 – 46.
- IHEJIRIKA, G. O., NWUFO, M. I., (2003): Varietal differences on Podrot and Yield of Groundnut. Journal of Scientific and Industrial studies. Vol. !, No. 1: 20 – 22.
- IHEJIRIKA, G. O. & NWUFO, M. I. (2003). Effects of time of planting on insect damage and yield of Groundnut. Journal of Science and Technology Research. Vol. 1, 2, No.2, 24 – 28.
- E. U. ONWEREMADU., C. C. OPARA., C. I. DURUIGBO AND G. O. IHEJIRIKA. (2003). Effects of different Rates of Dolomitic Limestone on the Grain Yield of White Brown Cowpea. African Journal of Environmental studies. Vol. 4: No. 1 & 2, 123 – 125.
- E. U. ONWEREMADU., G. O. IHEJIRIKA., C. I. DURUIGBO AND S. A. ABERE. (2003). Effects of Woodash on the Performance and leafspot disease severity of Amaranuthus caudatus. African Journal of Environmental Studies. Vol. 4, No 1 & 2, 102 – 105.
- IBEAWUCHI, I. I., OBIEFUNA, J. C., OFOH, M. C., IHEJIRIKA, G. O., TOM, C. T., ONWEREMADU, E. U. AND OPARA, C. C., (2005). An Evalution of Four Soybean varieties Intercropped with Okra in Owerri Ultisols South Eastern Nigeria. Pakistan Journal of Biological Science. 8 (2) : 215 – 219.
- IHEJIRIKA, G. O., NWUFO, M. I., DURUIGBO, C. I., IBEAWUCHI, I. I., ONYIA, V. N., ONWEREMADU, E. U. AND CHIKERE, P. N. (2005). Identification of Fungi Associated with storage Rot of Groundnut in Imo State South – Eastern. Nigeria. Plant Pathology Journal.4 (2): 110-112.
- IHEJIRIKA, G. O., NWUFO, M. I., DURUIGBO, C. I. AND ANYIA, V. N. (2005). Effects of Plant Powder on the Incidence of Seed-borne Fungi and germination of groundnut varieties in Imo State. Nigerian Journal of Plant Protection. 22, 38-45.
- ONYIA, V. N., MBUKA, C. O., IHEJIRIKA, G. O., OBILO, O. P., DURUIGBO, C. I. AND ONWEREMADU, E. U. (2005). Studies on the Performance and Prevalence of Fusarium wilt (Fusarium oxysporium) of Tomatoes grown under Plastic mulch. Nigerian Journal of Plant Protection. 180-187.
- IHEJIRIKA, G. O., NWUFO, M. I., ONWEREMADU, E. U. AND DURUIGBO, C. I. (2006). Effects of Tillage operations and Plant density on leafspot disease severity and grain yield of maize in Ultisols. Int. Journ. of Agric. Rural Development (IJARD). Vol.7. (1), 33-36.
- Obilo, O. P., T. T. Oben, E. U. Onweremadu, C. I. Duruigbo, G. O. Ihejirika, V. N. Onyia and K. O. Ogbedeh. (2006). Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) in Relation to Food Security: Need for Government Policy for Implementation. International. Journal. of Agric. Rural Dev. (IJARD). Vol.7. (1), 80-84.
- G. O. Ihejirika, M. I. Nwufo, G. Chikere and O. P. Obilo, (2010). Effects of water-stress on the fungal growth and quality of vegetable Amaranth in storage. Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection, 43: 3, 290-295.
- G. O. Ihejirika, M. I. Nwufo, V. N. Onyia, C. I. Duruigbo, E. U. Onweremadu E. R. Onuoha and K. O. Ogbedeh. (2006). Effects of plant extract and plant density on the severity of leafspot disease of groundnut (Cercospora arachidicola Hori) in Imo State. Journal of Plant Sciences. 1(4): 374-377.
- Opara, A. C. and Ihejirika, G. O. (2006). Planting and mulching Techniques on emergence count, dry mater, weed score, 1000–grain weight and severity of leadspot disease of maize. Journal of Research in Agriculture. Volume 3, No 4, 8 – 12
- Emmanuel ONWEREMADU, Ugochukwu NKWOPARA, Chukwuemka OPARA, Gabriel IHEJIRIKA, Vincent ONYIA and Magnus OFOH, (2006). Vertical distribution of heavy metals in two soils in Isikwuato, Abia State Southeastern Nigeria. Journal of Sustainable Tropical Agricultural Research. Vol. 18: Page 17 – 21.
- G. O. Ihejirika, M. I. Nwufo, E. Oputa, O. P. Obilo, K. O. Ogbedeh and V. N. Onyia. (2006). Effects of NPK fertilizer rates and plant population on Foliar Diseases, Insect damage and yield of groundnut. Journal of Plant Sciences USA. 1 (4): 362 – 367.
- G. O. Ihejirika, (2007). Effects of Maize intercropping on incidence and severity of leafspot disease (Cercospora arachidicola Hori) and Nodulation of Groundnut. International Journal of Agricultural Research. 2 (5): 504 – 507.
- Ibeawuchi, I. I., Dialoke, S. A., Ihejirika, G. O., Nwokeji, E. M., Chigbundu, I. N., Adikuru, N. C., and Oyibo Patricia Obilo, (2007). Influence of Yam/Cassava Based Intercropping Systems with Legumes in Weed Suppression and Disease/Pest Incidence. Journal of American Science, 3 (1): 49-59.
- G. O. Ihejirika, (2007). Evaluation of Organic Manures and Plant Densities on Pod rot, Nodulation and Seed weight of groundnut in an Ultisols. Journal of Plant Sciences. 2(4): 475 – 479.
- Emmanuel ONWEREMADU, Ette ESHETT, Cyril DURUIGBO and Gabriel IHEJIRIKA, (2007). Geospatial Distribution of Coefficient of Linear Extensibility in Southeastern Nigeria in relation to Load-Bearing Capacity. Journal of Sustainable Tropical Agricultural Research, 22: 64-69.
- K. O. Ogbedeh, M. C. Ofoh, C. M. Agu, G. O. Ihejirika, O. P. Obilo, E. M. Nwokeji and C. I. Duruigbo (2007). Effects of Organic and Inorganic Manures on the yield of yam tubers in Termite infested soils. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development. 9 (1): 66-70.
- Onyia, V. N., Anyanwu, C. P., Onwubiko, N. C., Ihejirika, G. O., Obilo, O. P. and Ngwuta, A. A. (2007). Cyto-Genetics And Relevance of Inter-Specific Hybridization in Plant Breeding. International Journal of Agricultural and Rural Development. 10 (1): 144-148.
- G. O. Ihejirika, (2007). Evaluation of Varietal Differences and Storage Materials on Some Fungal Diseases and Germination of Cowpea. International Journal of Agricultural Research. 2 (8): 745-749.
- G. O. Ihejirika, M. I. Nwufo, M. C. Ofoh and V. N. Onyia, (2007). Effects of Mulch Materials and Plant Density on some Fungal Diseases and Yield of Maize. Journal of Plant Sciences. 2 (2): 238-242.
- Obilo, O. P., Oben, T. T., Obilo, R. U., G. O. Ihejirika, Ogbedeh, K. O., I. I. Ibeawuchi and C. I. Duruigbo, (2007). Multibeneficial Effects of Mushroom Cultivation in the Tropics. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development. 10(1): 33-36.
- Nwufo, M. I. and Ihejirika, G. O. (2008). Influence of intercropping and removal of diseased leaves on incidence and severity of leafspot disease of Telfairia occidentalis Hook f. caused by Phoma sorghina. Life Science Journal. Volume 5, No. 2 81-83.
- Ihejirika, G. O., Ibeawuchi, I. I. and Ogbedeh, K. O. (2008). Assessment of Planting technique and plant density on insect damage, defoliatrion and pod rot of groundnut. Life Science Journal. 5(2): 58 – 62.
- Obilo, O. P., Ikotun, B., Ihejirika, G. O. and Ibeawuchi, I. I. (2009). Reaction of selected cassava cultivars to cassava anthracnose disease (CAD) in Nigeria. Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences. Vol. 3, Issue 2: 186-193.
- G. O. Ihejirika, (2008). Current options for improving leafspot disease resistance and yield of groundnut in an Ultisols. Archives of Phytopathology And Plant Protection. 1-6.
- Ihejirika, G. O., Ibeawuchi, I. I., Obiefuna, J. C., Obilo, O. P. and Nkwocha, V. I. (2009). Organic Soil Ammendments as a Protectant for Kola seedlings Transplant against some field diseases in Kola based cropping systems. Int’L Journal of Agric and Rural Development. (IJARD). Vol. 12. 100-109.
- Ofor, M. O., Okorie, V. C., Ibeawuchi, I. I., Ihejirika, G. O., Obilo, O. P. and Dialoke, S. A. (2009). Microbial Contaminants in Fresh Tomato Wash Water and Food Safety Considerations in South-Eastern Nigeria. Life Science Journal: 6(3): 80-82.
- G. O. Ihejirika, M. I. Nwufo, J. C. Obiefuna and I. I. Ibeawuchi, (2010). Evaluation of some fungal diseases and Yield of groundnut in groundnut-based cropping systems. Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection. Vol. 43, Nos. 10-12, 1044-1049.
- G. O. Ihejirika, M. I. Nwufo and S. O. Anagboso, (2010). Effects of Storage conditions and Tillage Operations on some fungal diseases and Yield of maize. Journal of Yeast and Fungal Research. Vol.1. (6): pp. 95-99.
- J. C. Obiefuna, I. I. Ibeawuchi, C. E. O. Onwuliri, M. O. Ofor, G. O. Ihejirika, (2010). Horticultural Seed Production to Meet National Demand. World Rural Observations, 2(4): 59-64.
- G. O. Ihejirika, (2010). Silent Spring on Podrot Reduction and Yield of Benniseed in an Ultisols. Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection. 09 March, 2010: 1-7.
- O. P. Obilo, B. Ikotun, G. O. Ihejirika, I. I. Ibeawuchi and T. T. Oben, (2010). The effect of the incidence of cassava anthracnose disease (CAD) on the performance and yield of cassava cultivars. Science Direct. Elsevier. Volume 29, Issue 5: 482-486.
- Ihejirika, G. O., Nwufo, M. I., Ibeawuchi, I. I. and Uwaleke, A. C., (2010). Effects of Microbial Spoilage on the Proximate Composition of African Star Apple fruit (Chrysophyllium albidum DALZIEL). Nigerian Journal of Plant Protection. Vol. 24: 19-26.
- Nwokeji, E. M., Duruigbo, C. I., Ihejirika, G. O., Obilo, O. P., Chigbundu, I. N., Echereobia, C. O., Ogwudire, V. E. and Peter-Onoh, C., (2011). Field Evaluation of Various Plant Biocides in the control of Black Sigatoka Disease in Plantains. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development. Vol. 14(2): 712-715.
- Ahuchaogu, C. E., Nwufo, M. I. and Ihejirika, G. O., (2011). Determination of Microorganisms associated with local spices in some selected States in South-Eastern Nigeria. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development (IJARD). Vol. 4(1): 475-482.
- Ihejirika, Gabriel Onyenegecha, Ibeawuchi, Izuchukwu Innocent, Obiefuna, Julius Chidozie and Ofor, Marian Onomerhievurhoyen, (2011). Phytosanitary Protection in Horticultural Seed Production: A Bridge to National Seed Demand. Nature and Science. 9(3): 49 – 52.
- Ihejirika, G. O., Nwufo, M. I., Ibeawuchi, I. I., Obilo, O. P. and Ofor, M. O. (2011). Phyto-pathological approach to host plant Resistance to Tikka disease of groundnut. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development (IJARD). Vol. 14(1): 395 – 400.
- Ihejirika, G. O., Nwufo, M. I., Ojiako, O. and Otuka, C. U., (2011). Potential of Plant Extract mixtures on the control of Rhizoctonia solani. The Causal organism of rot disease of yam tubers. Nigerian Journal of Plant Protection. Vol. 25. No.2: 309 – 317.
- Obilo, O. P., G. O. Ihejirika, M. O. Ofor, K. O. Ogbedeh, E. R. Onuoha, K. C. Uzosike, V. C. Ilozumba and O. P. Ibeh, (2011). Efficacy of Garlic and other plant extracts in the control of Septorial Leafspot of Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum). International Journal of Agric and Rural Dev. Vol. 14(2): 627 – 629.
- Ofor, M. O., Nwufo, M. I., Obiefuna, J. C., Ihejirika, G. O. and Dialoke, S. A. (2012). Solar Drying for Value Daaition and Minimization of Post-harvest Losses in Horticultural crops. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development. Vol. 15(1): 830 – 834.
- Ihejirika, G. O. (2012). Fungicidal effects of Organic Soil Ammendments on some Fungal diseases and Yield of Soybean (Glycine max). Journal of Yeast and Fungal Research. 3(3): pp. 25 – 29.