About the department of Computer Science
Industrial mathematics was one of the programmes, which took off right from the opening of the university in October 1981. It was under the administration of a coordinator who worked under the Supervision of the Director of Physical Sciences programme in the School of Natural and Applied Sciences (NAS). This later became the School of Earth, Mineral and Natural Sciences (SEMNS).
Following the NUC seminar held in Kaduna in September 1988, on courses offered by the Federal Universities of Technology in the country and the subsequent decision of the university in 1988, to operate a Departmental structure, the new Department of Mathematics and Computer science was created in the School of Science. The Department was empowered by senate to award B.Tech Degree (Mathematics and Computer science) with options in pure mathematics, Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science as approved by the NUC conference in Kaduna. The various courses for these options as presently offered were also discussed and approved at the NUC seminar in Kaduna. The Computer Science Programme actually started in the 2003/2004 academic session and graduated its first students in 2005/2006 session. An NUC team visited FUTO in December 2007 on resource verification for the creation of Computer Science Department.
Philosophy and Objectives of the Department
The Department of Computer Science therefore aims at providing:
- Sound and broad-based training in Computer Science in response to the national need for skilled, innovative and technologically oriented manpower for national development.
- Computer Science programme aimed at producing individuals with highly specialized, widely applicable, locally relevant and globally marketable skills.
- Computer based services to the University
- Strong background knowledge and skills required to further studies in Computer Science and Technology
- Functional hardware and software laboratories for teaching and research (standard laboratories)
- Inculcate in the students the required skills for industrial application, firms and outsourcing.
- Enabling environment to attract local and foreign organisations.