FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY OWERRI
CENTRE FOR RESEARCH AND INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CRID)
The Center for Research and International Development (CRID) serves the FUTO Community by providing accurate information for decision making, overseeing research, sourcing external funding in support of research and development and university-wide initiatives as well as overseeing University Linkages and Advancement
THE CRID 4-POINT AGENDA
- Improve research quality and impact by increasing cross-disciplinary research collaborations.
- Identify, develop and implement strategically important research partnerships
- Increase total research income from external sources
- Improve Research training
- IMPROVE RESEARCH QUALITY AND IMPACT
- To increase the quality and number of research publications
- To achieve 5% per annum growth in number of high impact factor research publications.
- To achieve 5% per annum growth in total citations.
- To develop patents
- Undertake strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats analysis (SWOT analysis) of the current status of research and innovation in FUTO and then establish key research priority areas (RPAs) that engage researchers in all Schools and Institutes in interdisciplinary research that will address pressing national and global problems as well as promote robust long lasting partnerships.Several viable sub areas will be identified within each RPA.
- Building teams for innovative research (BTIR), initially by organizing effective “Speed Networking” sessions on campus.
- Establish criteria for identification and reward of established productive researchers (EPRs); and ensure support for excellent researchers, commensurate with their productivity, regardless of research area.
- Obtain annual records of publications from each Department/Unit (from 2013) and ensure comprehensive and accurate recording of research publications in FUTO research database.
- IDENTIFY, DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT STRATEGICALLY IMPORTANT RESEARCH PARTNERSHIPS
To develop and maintain enduring and multilayered research relationships with selected developing world(China, India, Brazil, Mexico, Malaysia; South Africa) and developed world(Europe and America) institutions as measured by:
- Increased joint publications;
- Increased citation visibility;
- Enhanced research scope, scale and capability
- Joint research grants income.
- Identify, develop and sustain strategic research partnerships at institutional level with key leading research institutes and universities in the Developing World, Europe and America.
- Encourage staff to establish individual collaborations with scientists abroad.
- Initiate FUTO-Collaborator PhD programs in key areas.
- Provide support for the development of selected high-level research collaboration platforms (joint centers and research programs).
- INCREASE TOTAL RESEARCH INCOME FROM EXTERNAL SOURCES
- To achieve 20% per annum increase in external research funding
- Provide comprehensive and up to date information (databases) on available grant opportunities, including the priority focus areas.
- Increase the number of research proposals submitted
- Initiate grant mentoring/grant writing workshops at all levels
- Provide strategic and operational support for large grant applications
- Promote culture of externally funded PhD research and provide adequate incentives.
- IMPROVE RESEARCH TRAINING
- Foster a stronger research culture, with clearly measurable output.
- Increase the number, quality and impact of completed PG research projects
- Making maximum more imaginative use of available staff development funds.
- Encourage our younger colleagues to enroll for PhD programmes in FUTO and undertake part of their PhD research projects in suitable laboratories abroad, for no less than one year, with funding support from TETFund.
- Encourage FUTO staff with PhD qualifications obtained not later than five years to seek postdoctoral research training in research laboratories abroad. Funding support, where necessary, could be provided by TETFund, under the academic staff development program
- Develop and build national collaborative links in PG training through available national networks and international links through available research fellowships.
FUTO LINKAGES AND ADVANCEMENT
The CENTER FOR RESEARCH & INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CRID) is at the forefront of FUTO’s efforts to establish and build a strong relationships and collaborative partnerships with other relevant local and foreign entities such as educational institutions, industries, government and non government agencies as well as other relevant stakeholders, in such a way as to realize the University’s mission and vision in line with the strategic objectives of the University.
- INTER-UNIVERSITY LINKAGES:
Linkage with academic institutions is focused on initiation, planning, implementation and monitoring of linkage activities in the following areas:
- Initiating the mutual exchanges of undergraduates, postgraduates, PhDs students and teachers.
- Promoting the co-cultivating of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees and the development of dual degree programs.
- Expanding cooperation in scientific research in common-interest scientific research fields.
- Organizing mutual visiting programs to improve the research and teaching level of doctoral students, postgraduates and staff.
- Exchange the advanced teaching methods experience, the journals and publications between the two parties.
- Jointly organize international academic symposium (lectures, seminars, academic reports).
- Search and develop the cooperation programs of education and scientific research
- UNIVERSITY-INDUSTRY LINKAGES:
Linkage with industries, governments and government agencies is focused on:
- University-Industry joint research projects
- Product development
- Patent Licensing,
- Consultancy Services Agreement between University and Industry,
- Using Science and Technology Parks and Technology Business Incubation centers,
- Industrial Internship positions for students
- Establishment of University-affiliated enterprises/start-off companies
PROCEED TO CRID WEBSITE ……………………………………………. http://www.cridfuto.com/
For more information, regarding the Center’s services please contact the Director:
Prof. Emeka E. Oguzie
OFFICE: FUTO Consult building, Ground floor:
Tel: +234 83 432340
Mobile: +234 803 7026581
VICE CHANCELLOR: Prof. F.C. Eze, KSJ: B.Sc (Nigeria), M.Sc (Dundee), Ph.D (Nigeria)