- Academic Staff
Prof. C. O. Owuama
Prof. E. E. Oguzie
Prof. (Mrs) C. G. Okoli
Dr. E. E. Nkwocha
Dr. (Mrs) S. M. O. Akhionbare
Dr. P. C. Njoku
Dr. J. D. Njoku
Dr. M. A. Nwachukwu
Dr. P. N. Okeke
Engr. Dr. A. P. Uzoije
Dr. (Mrs) R. F. Njoku-Tony
Mr. M. U. Dike
Mr. M. C. Iwuji
Dr. (Mrs) T. Ebe
Dr. J. E. Umunnakwe
Dr. C. E. Ihejirika
Dr. G. T. Amangabara
Dr. C. C. Ejiogu
Dr. D. H. Ogbuagu
Mr. E. I. Emereibeole
Mr. C. N. Uzoka
Dr. J. C. Anyanwu
Dr. C. O. Chigbo
Mr. U. O. Enwereuzoh
Mrs. K. L. Oguzie
Engr. (Mrs) I. E. Mbuka-Nwosu
Mr. J. I. Nwachukwu
Mr. L. U. Mgbeahuruike
Mr. C. C. Uche
Mr. D. C. Ashiegbu
Mrs. A. A. Ojiaku
Engr. I. Onuoha
Mrs. L. Izunobi
Dr. (Mrs) V.E. Ngozi
Engr. N. Okoro (Jnr)
Ms. I. O. Egbuawa
Miss. C. G. Onwuagba
- Other Schools
- Our Resources
Brief Professional Background
Dr. Chris Obioma Nwoko was born in Abia State, Southeastern Nigeria in 1971. Educated at University of Calabar South-South Nigeria were he obtained B.Sc degree (Botany) in 1995. He proceeded to the University of Ibadan Southwestern, Nigeria for his M.Sc and PhD degrees (Environmental Biology) in 1998 and 2010, respectively. He has consulted for private and government agencies on environmental issues such as Impact Assessment Study, Ecosystem restoration and waste management. He was Environmental Consultant on World Bank (Assisted Projects) for FADAMA III in Imo and Abia States of Nigeria from 2014-2015. He is an Associate Professor and Former Head, Department of Environmental Technology. He has over 28 publications to his credit in highly rated peer-reviewed journals nationally and internationally. He has held many leadership positions e.g coordinator of exams, class advisors and patron of some voluntary organizations in Nigeria. His current research interest is on enhancing Soil Organic Matter (SOM) mineralization to match crop needs, the role of Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi in soil contaminant removal and ways of sequestrating carbon as a strategy for abating climate change. Dr. Nwoko is a member of Nigerian Environmental Society, Ecological Society of Nigeria and International Biometric Society.
B.Sc (Calabar), M.Sc, PhD( Ibadan)
Organic matter mineralization, carbon sequestration and Ecological risk assessment
(1 ) Nwoko, C.O, P.N Okeke and N. Ac-Chukwuocha (2004). Preliminary Studies on Nutrient removal Potential of selected Aquatic Plants. Jour. of Discovery and Innovation. African Academy of Sciences. Vol.16 (3). 133-136.
(2) Nwoko, C.O and S.Ogunyemi (2010). Evaluation of palm oil mill effluent to maize (Zea mays. L) crop: yield, tissue nutrient content and residual soil chemical properties. Australian Journal of Crop Science; 4(1); 16-22.
(3) Nwoko, C.O (2010) Trends in Phytoremediation of Toxic elemental and Organic pollutants. African Jou. Of Biotechnology. Vol. 9 (37): 6010-6016,
(4) Nwoko, C.O, Ogunyemi S, Nkwocha, E.E and Nnorom I.C (2010). Evaluation of Phytotoxicity effect of Palm Oil Mill Effluent and Cassava Mill Effluent on tomato ( lycopersicum esculentum) after pretreatment options. International Jour. Of Enviro. Science and Dev.(IJESD). Vol. 1(1): 67-72.
(5) Nwoko C.O and L.O Mgbeahuruike (2011). Heavy metal Contamination of ready-to-use herbal remedies in South eastern Nigeria. Pakistian Jour. of Nutrition. 10 (10): 959-964.
(6) Nwoko, C.O and Sola Ogunyemi. (2011). Empirical Study on optimizing Energy recovery from oil palm waste in Nigeria. African Jour. for Res., Innovation and Discovery. Vol. 5(1s): 40-44.
(7) Nwoko. C.O , Peter-Onoh C. and S. Ogunyemi. (2012). Plant nutrient recovery following Palm Oil Mill Effluent Soil amendment in a maize (Zea mays) grown screen house experiment. .International Jour. of Agric. And Rural Dev. Vol. 15(2): 1109-1118.
(8) Nwoko, C.O, C. Peter-Onoh, G.Onoh (2012). Remediation of trace metal Contaminated Auto-mechanic soils with Mineral Supplemented-Organic Amendments. Uni. Jou. Env. Res. Techn. Vol.2 (6) 489-499.
(9) Nwoko C.O (2012). Fate and Transport issues associated with Contaminants and Contaminant by-products in Phytotechnology. In . ‘Phytotechnologies: Remediation of Environmental Contaminants’ Eds. Maria E. Pereira, Iqbal Ahmad, Armando . Duarte, Shahid Umar and Nafees A. Khan. CRC Press/Taylor and Francis Group, Boca Raton, Florida, USA. pp 113-134.
(10) Nwoko C.O . (2013). Evaluation of Environmental Impact Assessment in Nigeria. Greener Journal of Environmental Management and Public Safety. Vol. 2 (1) 022-031.
(11) Nwoko, C.O , P.N Okeke and P.C. Ogbonna (2013). Influence of soil particle size and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) in the performance of Phaseolus vulgaris grown under crude oil contaminated soil. Universal Jou. Enviro. Res. Tech. Vol.3(2) 300-310.
(12) Nwoko, C. O. (2014). Effect of Arbuscular Mycorrhizal (AM) Fungi on the Physiological Performance of Phaseolus vulgaris Grown under Crude Oil Contaminated Soil. Journal of Geoscience and Environment Protection, 2: 9-14. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/gep.2014.24002.
(13) Nwoko C. O., E. N. Emenyonu and C. E. Umejuru, (2014) Trace Metal Contamination of Selected vegetables grown around Owerri Municipality, Nigeria. Journal of Agriculture and Ecology Research International. (SCIENCEDOMAIN international) 1(1): 18-29.
(14). Nwoko C. O and Egonwa I. (2015). Assessment of Trace Metal Contamination of Catfish (Clarias gariepinus) and Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) obtained from Choba and Aluu Axis of New-Calabar River, Rivers State Nigeria. Universal Jou. Enviro. Res. Tech. Volume 5,( 6): 265-277.
(15) Nwoko C.O , I. Okwara, C.E. Ihejirika1, O.U. Nwosu .(2016). Biosorption of Pb(II) and Ag(I) from Pulp and Paper Mill Effluent using Corn Cob (Zea mays) and Plantain Bunch Stalk (Musa paradisiacal). Journal of Environmental Science and Pollution Research 2(3) : 95–98
(16) Nwoko, C.O (2017). The Contribution of Mycorrhizas in the mineralization of organic contaminants In: Enhancing Clean up of Environmental Pollutants. Eds :Naser, A Anjum, Sarvajeet, S.G and Navendra. T. Springer International Publishing AG . 21: PP: 101-116
(1) S.C Anurigwo, C.O Nwoko, C. Johnson and U. Anyakwo. (2013) Environmental Audit report of Roche Construction Nigeria Ltd submitted to National Environmental Standards and Regulations Enforcement Agency (NESREA) and Federal Ministry of Environment Abuja.
2.0 K.U Njoku, C.O Nwoko, P.N Okeke, U.C Anya, C.Johnson, S.N.O Ibeleme (2014).Environmental and Social Audit for the third FADAMA in Abia State ( A World Bank Assisted project) submitted to the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources. Abuja. Contract No. ABSFCO/CQ/02/13.