Established in 1982, Animal Science is a professional course fully backed by the Nigerian Institute of Animal Science (NIAS), the agency regulating practice the of Animal Science in Nigeria. Our Curriculum provides the students of animal acience with the requisite knowledge, skill and working experience for the practice of animal science profession. With the establishment of the Nigeria Institute of Animal Science (NIAS), the image and status of the animal scientist have changed, giving her pride, prominence and motivation.
The Department imparts the technical skills and expertise required for successful management of modern livestock enterprises.
To become a centre of excellence in research and training in Animal Science and Technology as well as development of required expertise for the Animal Production Industry and related Industries.
To produce manpower with a thorough professional background in general agriculture in addition to a very accomplished expertise and specialization in the art, science and technology of Animal Science and Technology through quality research and teaching.
- To produce skilled man power in Animal Science and Technology through research and teaching.
- To provide academic liaison and dissemination of research findings through public lectures, conferences, seminars, symposia, workshops and publications.
- To provide policy advice and formulation in issues related to Animal Science and Technology.
In 1989/90 Session, the Department developed a highly specialized Postgraduate training for students in the areas of Animal Genetics and Breeding, Animal Nutrition, Animal Management, Animal Products Technology and Reproductive Physiology.
The Department has over the years developed viable livestock holding in the University Teaching and Research Farm. These include large and small ruminant unit, cattle unit, swine unit, poultry unit and feed mill.
In the area of research, the staff of the Department has developed a lot of novel feedstuffs for the livestock industries including jackbean (Canavalia ensiformis), velvet bean (Mucuna pruriens), gelatinized cassava tuber meal, among others.
|BIOLOGY FOR AGRICULTURE AND BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE I||BIO 101/103|
|GENERAL CHEMISTRY I||CHM 101|
|WORKSHOP PRACTICE I||ENG 101|
|ENGINEERING DRAWING||ENG 103|
|INTRODUCTION TO FRENCH||FRN 101|
|USE OF ENGLISH I||GST 101|
|PHYLOSOPHY I||GST 103|
|INTRODUCTION TO IGBO GRAMMAR||IGB 101|
|ELEMENTARY MATHEMATICS I||MTH 101|
|GENERAL PHYSICS I||PHY 101|
|BIOLOGY FOR AGRICULTURE AND BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE II||BIO 102/104|
|GENERAL CHEMISTRY II||CHM 102|
|WORKSHOP PRACTICE II||ENG 102|
|ENGINEERING DRAWING II||ENG 104|
|FRENCH LANGUAGE II||FRN 102|
|USE OF ENGLISH II||GST 102|
|SOCIAL SCIENCE I||GST 108|
|SCIENCE, ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY IN SOCIETY||GST 110|
|IGBO LANGUAGE II||IGB 102|
|ELEMENTARY MATHEMATICS II||MTH 102|
|GENERAL PHYSICS II||PHY 102|
Dr. ONYEAGOCHA Stephen Umuamuefula Osuji
Academic and Professional Qualification
- Ph.D. Agricultural Economics (Finance and Project Appraisal) University of Nigeria Nsukka (8th April 2009)
- M.Sc. Agricultural Economics (Finance) University of Nigeria, Nsukka(24th April, 1986)
- B.Agric. Agricultural Economics (Management)University of Nigeria, Nsukka (July, 1982)
Membership of professional bodies
- Associate Member, Nigeria Institute of Management (NIM)
- Registered member, Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN)
- Ordinary Member, Agricultural Society of Nigeria (ASN).
- Onyeagocha, S. (2001) “Problems and Challenges of Nigerian Financial Institutions in Credit Operations”, Nigerian Banker (the Journal of Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria), July/Dec. 2001. pp 32-35.
- Onyeagocha, S; Obi Uchenna and Onyeagocha, Ngozi (2004) “Resource Use Efficiency of Small-scale Telfaria Farmers in Imo State”, Journal of Sustainable Tropical Agricultural Research, Vol. 11.pp 114-117
- Ohajianya, D.O., and Ugochukwu A.I., (2011). An Ordered Probit Model Analysis of Transaction Costs and market Participation by Sweet Potato Farmers in South Eastern Nigeria. Contributed paper for the 85th Agricultural Economics Society Conference, Warwick University, UK, 18th – 20th April 2011, Warwick UK.
- Emenyonu, C.A., M.A.C.A., Odii, and S.U.O. Onyeagocha (2005) “Comparative Analysis of Resource Use Productivity among Green River Project Farmers in the Niger Delta”, Journal of Research in Agriculture, Vol. 2 No. 2, Uyo, Nigeria, Int’l Res. and Devpt. Institute, pp 57-64.
- Onyeagocha, S.U.O., Obi; C.A. Emenyonu; D.O. Ohajianya; N.N.O. Oguoma; and M.A.C.A Odii (2006); “Resource Use Efficiency in Rabbit Production in Imo State”, Journal of Research in Agriculture, Vol 3 No 3, pp 66-70.
- Emenyonu, C.A., S.U.O. Onyeagocha (2006) “Optimization of Resource Use Among Pig Farmers in Imo State”, Ngieria, International Journal for Agriculture and Rural Development, Vol. 7, No 1, Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO), Nigeria, pp 85-91.
- Ohajianya, D.O., N.N.O. Oguoma and S.U. Onyeagocha (2006) “Profit Inefficiency and its Determinants among Yam Producers in Imo state”, Nigeria International Journal for Agriculture and Rural Development, Vol. 7, No 2, FUTO, Nigeria, pp 67-73
- Ohajianya, D.O., N.N.O. Oguoma and S.U. Onyeagocha (2006). “Stochastic Translog Profit Frontier Approach to Measurement of Profit Inefficiency in Yam Production, in Imo State, Nigeria”. Journal of Agriculture and Social Research (JASR), vol. 6, No 1, pp 15-21
- Onyemuwa, A.S., S.U.O Onyeagocha, N.C. Ehiri and C.A. Emenyonu (2007) “Economies of Scale of Cassava-Maize Intercropping Mixtures in Mbaitoli Local Government Area of imo State”. International Journal of Agricultural and Food Systems, Vol. 1 No. 2; pp97-101
- Emenyou, C.A., N.C. Ehiri, S.U.O. Onyeagocha, and S.C. Onyemauwa (2007); “Sustainable Pig Production under Alternative Feed Sources and Management in Owerri zone, Nigeria”. Animal Production Research Advances, vol. 3 No.3; pp 245-249
- Oguoma, N.N.O., S.U Onyeagocha, C.S Onyemauwa and F.O. Nwosu (2007); “Analysis of Labour Demand, Supply and Utilization by Small-holders Mixed Farmers in Imo State, Nigeria”. International Journal of Agricultural and Rural Development, Vol. 10, pp 99-105.
- Onyeagocha, S.U.O,. Ehirim N.C. Emenyeonu C.A., and Onyemauwa, C.S. (2007); “Financing Swine Production in Imo State of Nigeria: Prospects and Problem- NACRDB Perspective”. International Journal of Agricultural and Rural Development; Vol. 10, pp 130-133.
- Ohajianya, D.O.; S.U.O Onyeagocha, C.U. Ibekwe (2000); Assessment of the Food Demand Pattern of Households in Imo State, Nigeria; Animal Production Research Advances, Vol. 1 No. pp 23-27.
- Ehirim, N.C., S.U.O Onyeagocha, C.A. Emenyeonu, O.G. Ugochukwu, Profitability Analysis Of Sustainable Swine production in Abia State, Nigeria; Animal Production Research Advances Vol. 4, No 1, pp 63-72.
- Ehirim, N.C.; S.U.O. Onyeagocha; N. Ben-Chendo; and N. Ejiogu (2008) “Resource Allocation for Efficient Pig Production in Umuahia, Abia State”; Journal of Science and Technology Research, Vol. 7, No. 2 pp 98-103.
- Nwosu , F.I.; N.N.O Oguoma; J.I. Lemchi; G.N. Ben-Chendo; A. Henri-Ukoha; S.U.O Onyeagocha; I.I Ibeawuchi (2010) “ Output Performance of food-crop Farmers under the Nigerian Agricultural Scheme in Imo State, Southeast, Nigeria; Academia Arena, vol. 2, No. 6, Marshland Press, Brooklyn, NY, USA; http:www.sciencepub.net/academia
- Onyeagocha, S.U.O., N.C Ehirim, C.A. Emenyeonu, C.S. Onyemauwa, F.O. Nwosu, D.O. Ohajianya, C.C. Eze, G.A. Anyanwu, N.N.O Oguoma, and B.O. Esonu (2010); “Post-Avian Flu Profitability and Resource Use Efficiency of Broiler Farers in Akwa-Ibom State, South-South, Nigeria”, (2010); Medwell Journals, Pakistan; Vol. 5 (2); 37-44. (PAKISTAN).
- Onyeagocha, S.U.O.; N.C. Ehirim; C.A Emenyeonu; C.S Onyemauwa and I.B. Okoye (2010); Analysis of income and Household Expenditure Patterns of Sub-urban Inhabitants of Owerri West Local Government Area of Imo State, International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, Vol. 13 (1).
- Henri – Ukoha, A., J.S. Orebiyi, J.I. Lemchi, U.C. Ibekwe, S.U.O. Onyeagocha, and G.N Ben-Chendo (2011), “Comparative Analysis of Agricultural Credit users among Cassava Farmers in Ohafia Local Government Area of Abia State, South East, Nigeria”; International Journal of Agricultural Science, Research and Technology, Vol. 1 (1). (USA)
- Ohajianya, D.O., U.C. Ibekwe, S.U. Onyeagocha, F.O. Nwosu, I.U. Nwaiwu; A. Henri-Ukoha; N.G. Ben-Chendo; N.P. Anyaoha, and I.I. Osugiri (2011); Factors Shares in irrigated Rice Production in Anambra-Imo River Basin Development Authority, Nigeria, Food Production in a Development in a Developing Economy (Ed. Nkasiobi, Silas Oguzo) 1st edition, Spain Graficas Guerrero, pp 361-366. (SPAIN)
- Henri-Ukoha, A., J.S. Orebiyi, D.O. Ohajianya, U.C. Ibekwe, S.U.O. Onyeagocha; F.O. Nwosu and I.U. Nwaiwu (2011); “Gender and Net Farm Income of Cassava Farmers under Individual Land System in Abia State”, International Journal of Agricultural Science Research and Technology, Vol. 1 (2), pp 47-54. (USA)
- Henri-Ukoha, A., D.O. Ohajianya, F.O. Nwosu, S.U.O. Onyeagocha and E.U. Nwankwo (2011), “Effect of World Bank Assisted Fadama II Project on the performance of Fish Farming in Imo State, South East Nigeria: A Comparative Evaluation,” American Journal of Experimental Agriculture; vol. 1 (4). pp 450-457 (USA).
- Ohajianya, D.O., V.A. Enwerem, P.O. Offodile, S.U.O Onyeagocha, M.N. Osuji, .I.U Nwaiwu, A. Henri-Ukoha and J.A. Echetama, (2011), “Optimum Farm Plan for Food Security among Smallholder Farmers in Imo State, Nigeria”, International Journal of Agricultural Science, Research and Technology, Vol. 1 (3); pp 133-136. (USA)
- Onyeagocha, S.U.O (2012) “Loan Size and its Determinants in Imo State, Southeast States, Nigeria”, American Journal of Experimental Agriculture. “In Press “Gallery Proof.
- Onyeagocha, S.U.O.,S.A.N.D. Chidebelu, E.C. Okorji Ada Henri Ukoha, M.N. Osuji, and O.C. Korie (2012); “Determinants of Loan Repayment of Microfinance Finance Institutions in Southeast States, Nigeria” IEEE Trans. Journal “Accepted and In Press”
- Onyeagocha, S.U.O., S.A.N.D. Chidebelu, E.C. Okorji, (2012)” Determinants of Repayment of Loan Beneficiaries of microfinance Institutions in Southeast States, Nigeria”, International Journal of Agricultural Management Development. Accepted and in Press”.
- Ohajianya, D.O., Onyeagocha, S.U.O., Enwerem, V.A., Echetama, J.A., Nwaiwu, I.U., Henri-Ukoha, A. and Osuji, M.N. (2012) “Determinants of Household Food Insecurity in Imo State, Nigeria”; International Journal of Applied Research and Technology, Vol.1, No.4, pp 18-23 (ESXON PUBLISHERS USA).
- Onyeagocha, S.U.O., Chdebelu, S.A.N.D., Okoroji, E.C., Nwosu, F.O. and Ehirim, N.C. (2012) “Loan Operational Methods as a Critical Factor in Repayment Performance of Microfinance Institutions in Southeast States of Nigeria”; International Journal of Applied Research and Technology, Vol.1, No.4, (ESXON PUBLISHERS USA).
- Osugiri, I. I., Albert I. Ugochukwu, Onyeagocha, S. U. O., Onyemauwa, C. S. and Ben-Chendo, G. N. (2012) “Population Dynamics, Labour and Small-Holder Farmers’ Productivity in Southeast Nigeria. Journal of Economics and Sustainable Development, Vol. 3, No. 2, (ANAOA) Pp 95-101.
- Nwaiwu, I. U., Eze, C. C., Onyeagocha, S. U. O., Ibekwe, U. C. Korie, O. C., Osuji, M. N., Kadiri, F. A. and Ukoha, I. I. (2012) Determinants of Net Returns from Garden Egg (solanum melongena) Production in Imo State, Southeast Nigeria. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, Vol. 15, No. 10, Pp 1258-1263.
- Korie, O. C., Okorji, E. C., Nwagbo, E. C., Eze, C. C., Lemchi, J. I., Ibekwe, U. C., Ohajianya, D. O., Onyeagocha, S. U. O., Nwaiwu, I. U. and Osugiri, I. I. (2012) “Determinants of Farm Income Generating Strategies among the Rural Farm Households in Imo State, Nigeria”. International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, Vol. 15, No. 3, Pp 1206-1211.
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Senior Lecturer, 2001 – Uptill date (Current Employment)
- Research and Project Supervision for B. Agric; M.Sc and Ph. D. students.
- College of Business, Imo State University, Lagos Outreach, Lecturer and PGD Coordinator, 1998-2000 (3years)
- Participated in Joint Credit Appraisal and Monitoring Team of National Directorate for Employment (NDE) and FUSSI for NDE –Graduate Employment, skill acquisition and Mature people’s Project in Imo State (1988-90)
- UNDP Mid-term Evaluation of Micro start Projects (Nigeria): An Economic Mission Covering the major eight Microfinance Institutions in eight states of the Federation, namely OF (Lagos), SEAP (Ilorin), JDPC (IJEBU-Ode), LAPO (Benin), NUSHO (Nsukka), PDC (Uyo), SAP (Jos), DEC (Bauchi) held between 29/01/02 to 26/02/02.
- UNDP Stakeholders Board Member on “Sustainable Agriculture, Environments and Rural Development” in Imo State (1998-2000)
- UNDP/GTZ Resource Person for the “Workshop on the Development of Nigeria Delta Areas” for Directors of Ministries, LG Chairman and Officials held at Asaba, Akure and Owerri (Sept. – October 2001)
- Consultant to Imo State Development Finance Investment Company (DFIC) on Agricultural Matters in Imo State (1998-2000).
- Resources Person for the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) Re-accreditation Visitation Panel for the Programmes of Federal College of Forestry, Ibadan, 19th – 23rd May, 2003.
- Resources Person for the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) Re-accreditation Visitation Panel for the Programmes of Federal College of Forestry and Land Resources, Egbeada, Owerri, 2005.
- 2003/2004: Member Committee on Consultancy, FUTO
- 2004/2005: PG Co-coordinator, Dept. of Agric. Econs. FUTO
- 2006/2007: Member Seminar/Workshop Training Committee, FUTO
- 2006/2013: Co-coordinator for Agric. Econs, Centre for Continuing Education (CCE), FUTO.
- 2006/2007: Rep. of SAAT at SEET and SOHT School Board, FUTO
- 2008/2009: Examination Officer, Dept. of Agric. Econs, FUTO
- 2011/2013: MDG Desk Officer FUTO.
- Allied Bank of Nigeria, Plc (defunct) Broad Street, Lagos, Financial Advisory Services Department, Ag. Head of Department
- Allied Bank of Nigeria, Plc (defunct) Broad Street, Lagos, Corporate Finance Department, Unit Head III – Assistant Manager 8
- Allied Bank of Nigeria, Plc (defunct) Broad Street, Lagos, Financial Control Department, Unit Head, General Account
- Imo State Government Liaison Office, Lagos, Commerical/Industrial Attachee, 1991 to March, 1993 (2years)
- Funds for Small – Scale Industries FUSSI, Senior Industrial Promotion Officer/Credit Office, 1981 – 1986 (5years) .2.4 Nigeria Agricultural and Co-operative Bank Ltd, Owerri (now known as Bank of Agriculture), Project/Supervisory Officer (NYSC)
- Produce Inspection Division, Ministry of Commerce and Industry Owerri, Produce Inspector/Assistant Produce Superintendent, 1975 – 1977 (2 years)
- Chairman, Imo State University, Lagos Outreach Matriculation Ceremonial Committee.1998/99, 1999/2000, and 2000/2001
- Investment Secretary, Academic Staff Union of University, FUTO Branch, 2008-2009
- Chairman, Elite FUTO Multipurpose Co-operative Society, 2008 to date.
- Chairman, Umunnawuike Multipurpose Co-operative Society, FUTO (OWERRI Welfare Association), 2009 to date.
- Secretary, Owerri Nozie Age Grade (ONAG) a socio-cultural group in Owerri Municipal Council (2001 - 2002)
- Chairman, Fr. Tansi Solidarity Movement Akoka Branch Lagos, a religious outfit (2000 - 2002)
- Sports Captain CMO St Joseph’s Chaplaincy, Imo State University, Owerri
- Agric Econs. CCE Co-ordinator (2007 to date)
- Agric Econs SIWES Co-ordinator (2007 – 2009)
- Sustainable Development Officer/MDG Desk Officer FUTO (2012 – date)