PRESS BRIEFING OF THE VICE-CHANCELLOR
FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI
THIS DAY, 19TH JUNE, 2018 AT COUNCIL/SENATE CHAMBERS MARKING THE 2nd YEAR ANNIVERSARY
The occasion was declared open by the University PRO, Mrs. Uche Bright-Nwelue and at exactly 12.30 pm the Vice Chancellor with his team came in and was given a standing ovation. A short prayer was said by the Dean, School of Health Technology, Rev. Sis. Prof. Evangeline Oparaocha. After that, the National Anthem was sung. Members of the Press were: Punch Newspapers, The Trumpeters, Galaxy TV, Christian Voice and others.
The University PRO Mrs. Uche Bright-Nwelue welcomed everyone and craved their indulgence to be attentive to hear the VC’s address.
In attendance were the Principal Officers: The Vice Chancellor Prof. F.C Eze, his wife, Dr. ( Egejuru Eze. The DVC (Academics) Prof. N.J Okeudo. DVC (Administration) Prof. I. C Ndukwe. The Registrar, Chief John U. Nnabuihe.The Bursar, Mrs Helen Onuoha. The Librarian, Mrs. Chinwe Anunobi. Members of the 11th Governing Council, Head of Units, Head of Departments, Directors and School Admission Officers.
The members of the press introduced themselves and the next item was the presentation of kola-nut.
The Vice-Chancellor read his address and highlighted some of his achievements. He said that since he came into office with the mantra “driving the culture of excellence” on Monday, June 20th, 2016, that his administration has recorded many achievements as follows:
- Academic activities, Accreditations and Collaboration: the university has ensured careful discharge of their mandate in areas of core competence with renewed vigour and commitment. Paying attention to the provision of teaching and learning facilities as well as the creation of a stable academic environment for effective academic activities, the conduct of workshop and laboratory practical’s and research. Examinations are administered with best ethical standards while timely marking, grading and release of results have been given due attention. Matriculation and Convocation have been held regularly at appropriate times. Inaugural lectures, public lectures, academic workshops, conferences and seminars are regularly held at various times in the University.
- All the 45 academic programmes of the University have received NUC endorsement. 41 programs have full accreditation status, 2 programmes have interim status while 2 new programs are awaiting resource verification. He further said that FUTO through linkages, advancement and collaboration with both local and International Institutions has signed MOUs with different Institutions and Universities for an exchange program, research and academic collaboration.
- In order to keep pace with the advancement in information and Communication Technology, his administration has deployed massive ICT infrastructure to enhance teaching and learning as well as the improvement day to day running of the University. 50 interactive smart boards have been acquired for all departments and Schools in the University e-learning while an internet distribution throughout the campus via the installation of an optical fibre has been completed and it is running on MTN STM – 1 backbone which is about 155MBPS bandwidth which will give efficient internet services anywhere on campus when fully energized.
- The University Website and the University Portal for registration of courses and payment of fees have received commendations for their unique features.
- The Nigeria Internet Registration Agency (NIRA) has nominated FUTO website as the best website amongst Nigerian Universities’ websites and the award will be conferred on July 6, 2018.
- Other Infrastructural development embarked upon include:
- Completion of the Architectural Studio Building Phase III
- Completion of School of Science Workshop/Laboratory building & Furnishing
- Construction of the 1km access road
- Construction and furnishing of School of Science Complex (Phase I)
- Perimeter fencing of Senate Building using special South African Wire Mesh
- Provision of electric street light on campus
- Erosion Control at the Roundabout near Senate building
- Rehabilitation and furnishing of the Health Services Building
- Rehabilitation of Road 3(LOT 1)
Other on-going Projects include:
- Construction of Academic Offices Building
- Construction of 1.2km Internal road after NDDC hostel
- Rehabilitation & Asphalt overlay of 1.72km internal roads including the construction of reinforced concrete drains
- Rehabilitation of the School of Environmental Technology Building (on-going)
- Construction and furnishing of Central Laboratory Complex
- Construction and furnishing of Materials Research Laboratory building
7. FUTO Farms Limited has cultivated over 30 hectares of cassava farm, 10 hectares of pineapple farm, 10 hectares of plantain farm, 4 hectares of orange farm, 2 hectares of paw-paw farm, 3 hectares of oil palm seedlings and 7 hectares of raffia palm seedlings plantation also would soon open its mini shop beside the Department of Dental Technology for sale of produce from the farm.
In conclusion, the Vice Chancellor thanked everyone that came for the press briefing and especially thanked the Director, Office of the University Development Prof.(Mrs) K.B Oyoh for the good work she has been doing in keeping the University environment clean. He urged other Heads of Departments, Units and Directors to be up and doing and be a patriotic staff.
VOTE OF THANKS: The vote of thanks was done by the correspondent Chapel who also commended the VC saying that the reward for every good work is more work that he should not relent in taking FUTO to a greater height.
The closing prayer was said by Mr Emeka Ihiegbulam of Punch Newspapers.