The Specific Functions of the Unit are to:
- Prepare and report on management account and financial statement.
- Check the summary and detailed Trial Balance for errors
- Confirm accuracy of records by means of balancing and confirmatory procedures.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual management accounts for the Management and Council.
- Prepare the financial statement of the University for Statutory Audit.
Call Over of Receipts and Payment Vouchers
- Confirm accuracy of codes assigned and the correctness of the documents.
- Raise journal vouchers to correct errors observed
- Receive payment vouchers and receipts from the Cash Office.
- Arrange both payment vouchers and receipts by bank account name for ease of call over exercise
- File both payment vouchers and receipts according to their respective bank account
- Retrieve past records for External Auditors and Government representatives (Auditor-General, Accountant General of the Federation) from archives or any other source
Co-ordination of Statutory Audit of University’s Financial Statements
- Invite the External Auditors for the annual audit exercise.
- Agree on a date with the External Auditors for the commencement of the audit exercise.
- Attend to issues raised by the External Auditors during the audit exercise.
- Respond to Management Letters from the Auditors.
Visitation by Representatives of various Government Financial Regulatory Bodies & Agencies
- Receive officials from Supervisory and Regulatory Agencies
- Respond to queries raised (if any)
- Responsible for the creation of accounting codes
- Communicate to various units concerned informing them of the created codes.