Dr. Victor M. O. Okoro
|June 2017 – June 2019||Professional Certificate (Animal Breeding and Genetics), Wageningen University and Research, Effective date: June 2019.|
|Nov 2007 – Nov 2012.||PhD (Animal Breeding and Genetics), Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Nigeria. Effective date: November 2012.|
|Dec 2001 – July 2003||Master of Science (Animal Science), University of Ibadan, Ibadan Oyo State, Nigeria, Effective date: July 2003.|
|Sept 1993 – Oct 1999||Bachelor of Agricultural Technology (Animal Science), Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), Nigeria, Second Class Upper (Honours), Effective date: November, 2000|
- Post-doctoral Research Fellowship won at the University of South Africa, Department of Agriculture and Animal Health, Florida Science Campus, Johannesburg, South Africa from November 1st 2015 – October 31st 2017.
- United Nations University Institute for Natural Resources International Travel grant awarded at University of Yaounde, Cameroons from July 10th – August 09th 2009, to attend and participate in the summer training course – GIS and its applications to Management and Analysis of Natural Resources, Geomatics
- TETFUND grant for International Travel to attend and present conference papers in China. It was awarded to participate in the 34th Conference of the International Society of Animal Genetics, (ISAG XI’AN 2014) in Xi’an China, at Qujiang International Conference Center from 28th July 2014 – 1st August 2014.
- UNISA (University of South Africa) grants for International Travel to attend and present conference papers at Ireland. Awarded to travel and participate in the 36th Conference of International Society of Animal Genetics holden at University College Dublin, Ireland between 16th -29th July 2017.
Membership of Professional bodies
- Professional Natural Scientist, South African Council for Natural Scientific Professions (SACNASP). Registration No: 115877.
- Professional Animal Scientist, Registered with Nigerian Institute of Animal Science. Registration No: NIAS/RAS/386.
- Member, International Society for Animal Genetics (ISAG). Registration no: 101659.
- Member South African Society of Animal Science (SASAS). Registration no: 194480.
- Member American Society of Animal Science (ASAS). Registration no: 102140.
- Member Nigerian Society of Animal Production (MNSAP).
- Member Brazilian Society of Animal Science (Brasileira de Zootecnia (SBZ)).
Courses assigned with their codes
AGR 303, AGR 304, AST 401, AST 510
AST 701, AST 703, AST 702, AST 808, AST 829, AST 816, AST 830, AST 832, AST 901
- Animal breeding, nutrition and physiology experimental design and data analysis.
- Livestock project design, project development plans and management.
- Geographical Information System (GIS) application in animal agriculture
- Statistics and Statistical Analysis software and their uses: SAS, MTDFREML, SPSS and PYTHON.
- GIS Software: ArcGIS, ArcView and MapInfo.
- Statistical Programming: R.
Animal breeding and genetics, Animal genomics, Genomic selection and breeding.
Past 5 years’ publications:
- Ogbuewu IP, Okoro VM, Mbajiorgu CA. (2020). A meta-analysis of the influence of phytobiotic (pepper) supplementation in broiler chicken performance. Trop. Anim. Hlth. Prod., 52 (1): 17-30. doi.10.1007/s11250-019-02118-
- Mashishi MD, Okoro VMO & Mbajiorgu CA (2019). Effects of Antimicrobial Interventions and Brining on Microbiological Quality of 6 Months’ Quick Frozen Chicken Mixed Portions. Applied Ecology and Environmental Research, 17(3): 6315-6336.
- Okafor OL, Okoro VMO, Mbajiorgu CA, Ogbuewu IP, Okoli IC and Ogundu UE (2019). Influence of Chicken Growth Hormone (cGH) SNP Genotypes on Morphometric and Growth Traits of Three Chicken Breeds. Indian J. Anim. Res., 53 (12) :1559-1565 DOI: 10.18805/ijar.B-1077
- I. P. Ogbuewu, V. M. Okoro, E. F. Mbajiorgu & C. A. Mbajiorgu (2018). Yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and its effect on production indices of livestock and poultry—a review. Comparative Clinical Pathology, 28 (3): 669 – 677, https://doi.org/10.1007/
- I. P. Ogbuewu, V. M. Okoro, E. F. Mbajiorgu, C. A. Mbajiorgu (2018). Beneﬁcial Effects of Garlic in Livestock and Poultry Nutrition: A Review. Agric Res. 1-16 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/
- Ohanaka, AUC, Okoro VMO, Etuk IF, Unamba-Oparah IC and Okoli IC. (2018). Effects of palm kernel shell ash as an organic mineral supplement on the performance of broiler chicks. Indian Journal of Animal Research; 52 (11):1590-1596.
- Nwaodu CH, Okoro VMO, Uchegbu MC and Mbajiorgu, CA (2018). Effects of brooding periods on the performance of poults and grow-out small bronze turkeys in a hot humid tropical environment. Tropical Animal Health and Production; 50 (4): 851–856. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/
- Okoro VMO, Akwukwuegbu S., Mbajiorgu CA, Anyanwu GA (2017). Substitution and optimization of Nigerian White beniseed (sesamum indicum) cake for soybean (glacine max) meal in Cobb broiler diets. Chilean Journal of Agricultural Research 77(4): 365 – 372. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4067/
- Okoro VMO and Mbajiorgu CA. (2017). Crossbreeding parameter estimates for growth and conformation traits in a three pig diallel cross. Applied Ecology and Environmental Research. 15(4):117-128. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15666/
- Okoro, V. M. O, K. E. Ravhuhali, T. H. Mapholi, E. F. Mbajiorgu and C. A. Mbajiorgu (2017). Comparison of commercial and locally developed layers’ performance and egg size prediction using regression tree method. Journal of Applied Poult. Research 26(4): 476-484. http://dx.doi.org/10.3382/
- Okoro V. M. O, Ravhuhali K.E., Mapholi T.H., Mbajiorgu E.F. and Mbajiorgu C.A. (2017). Effect of age on production characteristics of Boschveld indigenous chickens of South Africa reared intensively. South African Journal of Animal Science, 47 (2): 157 – 167.
- Okoro V. M. O and Mbajiorgu CA (2017). Diallel Cross in Swine Production: A review. Indian Journal of Animal Research 51 (2): 212-218. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18805/
- Agu, E.C., Okeudo, N.J., Aladi, N.O. and Okoro, V.M.O. (2017). Effect of dietary inclusion of ginger meal (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) on performance, serum cholesterol profile and carcass quality of broilers. Nigerian Journal of Animal Production, 44 (1): 254-266.
- Okoro V. M. O., Mbajiorgu E. F and Mbajiorgu C. A. (2016). Semen quality characteristics of koekoek breeder cocks due to supplemental inclusion levels of onion and garlic at 35-41 weeks of age. Brazilian J. of Anim. Science/R. Bras. Zootec., 45(8): 433-440. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/
- Okoro V. M. O., Nwokeocha A. C. C., Ijezie C. O., Mbajiorgu C. A. and EF Mbajiorgu (2016). Effect of varying dietary supplemental inclusion levels of onion and garlic on semen quality characteristics of Hubbard white breeder broiler cocks aged 35-41 weeks old. Indian J. of Anim. Research. 50 (6): 922 – 929. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18805/
- Ogbuewu I. P., Jiwuba P. D., Iwuji T. C., Okoro V. M., Mbajiorgu C. A. and I. C. Okoli (2016). Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf and kernel and their effects on production and physiology of poultry: a review. Comp. Clin. Pathol. 26 (2): 299-307. DOI http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/
- V.M.O. Okoro, B.I. Kemka, E.H. Okoh, R.C. Osuchukwu, O. Obiozor, O. Kadurumba, U.E. Ogundu and S.N. Ibe (2015). Genetic variability among pig populations in Imo State, Nigeria using random amplified polymorphic DNA-PCR. Nig. Journal of Genetics. 28 (2): 44-47. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.
- V. M. O. Okoro, U. E. Ogundu, M. Okani, I. Oziri, O. Eneowo, O. T. Olisenekwu, O. Kadurumba, I. P. Ogbuewu, S. Onyemauwa, H. O. Ukwu and S. N. Ibe (2015). Principal Component Analysis of Conformation and Blood marker traits at pre and post-weaning stages of growth in F2 crossbred Nigerian Indigenous x Landrace Pigs. Animal Biotechnology. 26 (4): 243–250. Available online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/
- Okoro V. M. O., Ogundu, U. E., Udedibie, A. B. I., Okoro, C. L., Ukwu, H. O., and Ibe, S. N. (2015). Effect of genotype, sex and parity on growth traits of diallel crossed Nigerian indigenous and exotic pigs. Nigerian Journal of Animal Production 42 (1): 29 – 40.