Prof Babington O. Esonu
- PhD. (Animal Nutrition) -1997
- M.Sc. (Animal Nutrition) -1991
- B. Agric. Tech (Animal Production) -1987
- HND (Animal Science) -1980
- OND (Gen Agric) -1978
- WAEC (1976).
- FSLC (1970)
- Recipient, Dean of SAAT, FUTO roll of honour (1986-1987),
- Federal Government postgraduate award (1990),
- FUTO Study fellowship award (1992-1996),
- Grantee, International Foundation for Sciences (IFS) Stockholm Sweden (1994-1997),
- 14th Inaugural lecturer, FUTO (2009) Titled ‘Unconventional Feed Resources for Livestock Development and Food Security: Paradigms from Nigerian Livestock Industry’.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Fellow, Agricultural Society of Nigeria (FASN), Fellow, Nigerian Society for Animal Production (FNSAP),
- Fellow, College of Animal Scientists of Nigeria (FCASN),
- Registered member, Nigerian Institute of Animal Science (NIAS),
- Member, Animal Science Association of Nigeria
- Member, Poultry Association of Nigeria
- Member, World Poultry Science Association
- Member, American Society of Animal Science (ASAS)
Courses Assigned to Teach
Course code: AGR 201, AST 302, AST 304, AST 403, AST 505, AST 504, AST 506, AST 507, AST 802, AST 825, AST 826, AST 803, AST 822, AST 619, AST 604, AST 814, AST 823, AST 509, AST 908, AST 909.
Professor Esonu has also gained substantial administrative and other cognate experience under the Nigerian university system. Among other things, he has been privileged to serve as Head of Department (2005-2007), University Alumni Relations Officer (2006-2010), University Chief Examiner (2010-2011), Director, Center for Agricultural Research (2011-2012), Dean, School of Agric. And Agric. Tech. (SAAT) (2015-2017), Chairman, Committee of Deans (2016), Acting Vice-Chancellor, FUTO (2016), University Orator/Chairman, University Lecture Series Committee (2018), Member of Senate (2005 till date).
My major research area of interest is in the area of Monogastric Animal Nutrition, with a bias in poultry, pigs and rabbit nutrition. In this major area are studies on Nutrient metabolism, alternative or unconventional sources of feedstuffs, digestibility of feed ingredients and utilization of nutrients, inter-relationship and determination of optimal nutrient levels for various classes of monogastric animal feeds.
He has to his credit over 130 scientific publications in National and International journals.