Prof. (Mrs) Uduak E. Ogundu
- PhD. Animal Breeding and Genetics – 2004
- Certificate in the spreadsheet – 1999
- M.Sc. Animal Science – 1989
- B.Sc. Agric. (Animal Science) – 1984
- Higher School Certificate (HSE) – 1980
- West African School Certificate (WASC) – 1978
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Member Nigerian Institute of Animal Science, NIAS.
- Member Animal Science Association of Nigeria (ASAN)
- Member Nigerian Society of Animal Production (NSAP)
- Member Genetics Society of Nigeria (GSN)
- Member World’s Poultry Science Association, Nigeria Branch (WPSA)
- Member Agricultural Society of Nigeria (ASN)
- Member Smallholder Poultry Forum of Nigeria (SPF)
- Member Organization of Women in Science for Developing World (OWSD).
Courses Assigned to Teach and Code
- AGR 303 – Agricultural genetics
- AGR 304 – Agricultural Biometry
- AST 401 – Quantitative and Hereditary Genetics in Animal breeding
- AST 509 – Research and Analytical Techniques in Animal Science
- AST 510 – Applied Animal Breeding
- AST 801 – Population Genetics
- AST 816 – Genetics of small Animals and Poultry
- AST 817 – Genetics of Dairy and Beef cattle
- AST 830 – Quantitative genetics
- AST 829 – Statistical Models in Animal Breeding
- AST 808 – Designs and Analysis in agricultural experiments
- AST 820 – Techniques in data analysis
- AST 832 – Advanced genetics of livestock improvement
- AST 901 – Recent advances in animal breeding
- AST 902 – Recent advances in Biotechnology
- Coordinator Postgraduate Studies for School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology…… (2009 to date)
- Director Office for University Development (OUD)…………. (2015 – 2016).
- Member senate committee for curriculum amendment for the University (2015)
- University Hostel D Mistress ………………………… (2012 – 2013)
- Member, representing congregation at senate (2011 – 2012)
- Coordinator School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology, SIWES (2010 – 2012)
- Head of Department, Animal Science and Technology…………. (2006 – 2010).
- Member, School Junior staff matters (2004 – 2006)
- Member, Library Steering Committee (2003 – 2006)
- Member, School Laboratory Steering Committee (1999 – 2016)
- Member, School Computing Facility Committee
- Professional Experience outside the university
- External examiner
- M.Sc. Animal Science Department; University of Calabar (2014 and 2020)
- M.Sc. Department of Genetics and Biotechnology, University of Calabar (2o16/2017 to 2018/2019 session)
- PhD. Department of Animal Science, Delta State University (2015 and 2019)
- M.Sc. Department of Animal Breeding and physiology, Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike (2015,2016 and 2019).
- M.Sc. Department of Animal Science, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (2012).
- PhD Department of Animal Science, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (2015).
- Visiting Scholar at University of Calabar, Nigeria (2017-2018)
- Sub-National Coordinator (Imo) for African Chicken Genetic Gain Project (ACGG) (2015 – 2019)
- Assessor of Readers and Professors in Breeding and Genetics for the following universities
- University of Calabar, Cross River State
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomosa, Oyo State.
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike, Abia State.
Area of Research Interest
Management of Genetic variation of the Indigenous Livestock species and poultry; with the application of technology in molecular biology where genomic tools could be used to characterize and improve genetic traits in our local livestock species.
We were currently involved in African Chicken Genetic Gain project (ACGG). A platform we used for testing, delivering and continually improving tropically adapted chicken for productivity growth in sub-Saharan African. ILRI-led BMGF funded project. This metamorphosised into the smallholder poultry forum, a public-private driven organ for development
- OGUNDU, U.E., ABUBAKAR, B.Y. and DIM, N.I. (1997). Growth patterns and heritability estimates of the New Zealand White and Dutch breeds of rabbits. DELTA AGRIC. 4: 56-63.
- OGUNDU, U.E. (2001). Repeatability estimates and prediction of milk suckled per kit from performance traits in Dutch Rabbit JOL. SUS. AGRIC AND ENVIR. 3(1): 149-154.
- OGUNDU, U.E. and IRECHUKWU, L. (2002). Repeatability estimates and relationships between average weaning weights and average birth weights at different parities in F crossbred pigs. JOL. SCI. ENGR. AND TECH. Vol. 9 (1): 3941-3949.
- OKOLI, I.C., NWOKEOCHA, J.R., OKOLI, C.G. and OGUNDU, U.E. (2002). Prevalence of Fasciolusis and Oesophagostomosis among slaughter animals in Imo State, Nigeria and their correlation with emaciation diagnosed at Antemortem. Tropical Vet. 20 (3), 139-148.
- DURUNNA, O.N. and OGUNDU, U.E. (2004). Phenotypic relationships between gestation length and preweaning litter traits in Rabbits. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 31(2): 154-160.
- OKOLI, I.C., ALAEHIE, D.A., AKANNO, E.C., OKOLI, C.G., OPARA, M.N., UCHEGBU, M.C., OGUNDU, U.E. and IHEUKWUMERE, F.C. (2004). Concentrations of Aerial Pollutant Gases in selected poultry pens in Imo State, Nigeria. Inter. J. of Polt. Sci. 3(3).
- UMESIOBI, D.O., KALU, U., OGUNDU, U., ILOEJE, M.U., ANYANWU, D.C. and MCDOWELL, L.R. (2004). Fertility studies on two methods of libido maintenance in West African Dwarf Rams. Jol. of Anim. and Vet. Advances 3(2): 81-84 (c) Grace Publications Network.
- OGUNDU, U.E., ILOEJE, M.U. and HERBERT, U. (2004). Modified contemporary comparison of first and second lactations in herds with cows of 25% and 50% Friesian inheritance. Jol. of Anim. and Vet. Advances (c) Grace Publications Network 3 (10) 671-674.
- AZUBUIKE, J.C., OGUNDU, U.E., AKANNO, E.G., OPARA, M.N. and NWAKALOR, I.N. (2005). Comparative study of factors affecting the birth weight of muturu, Ndama and Boran cattle in South-Eastern Nigeria. Animal Production Research Advances (1) 7-12.
- OKOLI, I.C., ALAEHIE, D.A., OKOLI, C.G., AKANNO, E.G., OGUNDU, U.E., AKUJOBI, C.T., ONYICHA, I.D., and CHINWEZE, C.A. (2006). Aerial pollutant gases concentrations in tropical pig pen environment in Nigeria. Nature and Science 4(4).
- ONWEREMADU, E.H., ESHETT, E.T., OGUNDU, U.E., ANYANWU, C.P. and OBIEFUNA, 1C. (2007). Edaphology sorptivity and bioaccessibility of chromium in a tropical soil. International Journal of Agric. Research 2(12) 997-1005.
- DURUNNA, C.S., OGBEDETA, P.O., UDEDIBIE, A.B.I., EZEOKEKE, C.T., and OGUNDU, U.E. (2007). Effect of Anthonotha MaCrophylla leaf meal on performance of broiler starter chickens. Trop. J. Anim.Sci. (10) 1-2 pp. 317-322.
- OKORO, V.M.O., OGUNDU, U.E. and EGWUEKWE (2008). Repeatability estimates of pre-weaning litter traits and teat numbers in non-discript rabbits. Inter. J. of Agric. and Rural Dev. 11 (i): 105-107.
- OGUNDU, UDUAK, E. and IBE-OJILUDU, N. (2009). The growth pattern of Ross broiler in a tropical environment. Anim. Prod. Res. Adv. 5(2): 1-4.
- OGUNDU, U.E., OKORO, V.M.O., ANYANWU, G.A., OKEKE, G.U., DURUGO, N., MBAEBIE, G.A.C. and EZEBUIKE, C.I. (2009). Effects of age, breed and sex on the serum biochemical values of turkeys (Meleagridis gallopova] of Southeastern Nigeria. Inter. J. of Agric. and Rural Dev. 12 (1).
- OGUNDU, U.E. and OKPALA, 0.0. (2009). Predictive ability of broiler production models. Anim. Prod. Res. Adv. 5(2) 72-
- OGBUEWU, I.P., OGUNDU, U.E., OPARA, M.N., OKOLI, I., C. UMESIOBI, D.O., HERBERT, U. and ILOEJE, M.U. (2010). Spermatozoa Manipulation Technique; A current assisted reproduction technology tool kit in reproductive physiology. Jol. Of Med. Sci. 5: 110-123.
- OKORO, V.M.O., EZEOKEKE, C.T., OGUNDU, U.E. and CHUKWUDUM, C. (2010). Phenotypic correlation of body weight and linear body measurement in Chinchilla rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus) Jol. Of Agric. Biotech and Sus. Dev. http://www.academicjournals.
- OKORO, V.M.O., OGUNDU, U.E., OGBUEWU, I.P., OBIKAONU, H. and EMENYONU, C. (2011). Effect of sex and system of production on the haematological and serum biochemical characters of helmeted guinea fowls (Numida meleagris Pallas) in South-Eastern Nigeria. INTERN. Jol. Of Biosci. (IJB) 1:3 pg 51-56 (online) http://www.innspub.net.
- OKORO, V. M. O., OGUNDU, U. E., OKOLI, I. C. AND ANYANWU G. A. (2011). A note on heritabilities for preweaning and postweaning litter weights of unselected domestic rabbits in Southern Nigeria. Genomics and Quantitative Genetics 3:26-29
- OKORO, V. M. O., OGUNDU, U. E., KADURUMBA, O. ILOEJE, M. U., OKOLO, C. L., NOSIKE R. J. AND IBE, S. N. (2012) Genetic variations in locally adapted turkey. 1. Additive and non-additive genetic effects on growth traits. Genomics and Quantitative Genetics 4:1-7.
- UCHEGBU, M. C., OKOLI, I. C., ABIAKALAM, J. I., OPARA, M. N., OGUNDU, U. E. AND EKENYEM, B. U. (2011) The diet of the wild Grass-cutter in Imo State, Nigeria in Relation to Compositions of Gastro-Intestinal Tract Content. Asia-Pacific J. of Rural Dev. XXI(2)139-144.
- OKORO, V. M. O., OGUNDU, U. E., EZEOKEKE, C. T., ANYANWU, G. A., OKORO, C. L. AND UKWU, H. O. (2012). Genetic variations in local ecotype Turkey 2. Effect of genotype, sex and hatch batch on growth-related measurement in live birds. Inter. J. of Biosci. (IJB) vol. 2 No. 11: 109-116.
- OKORO, V. M. O., OGUNDU, U. E., ILOEJE, M. U., OKORO, C. L., RAJI, O. A., UKWU, H. O. AND IBE, S. N. (2012). Genetic variations in local ecotype Turkey. 3 influence of direct and maternal genetic effect on growth and growth-related traits. Genomics and Qualitative Genetics 5:20-25.
- OGBUEWU, I. P., ENUMAIBE, E., KADURUMBA, O. E., IWUJI, C. T., OGUNDU, U. E., ETUK, I. F., OPARA, M. N., OKOLI, I. C., ILOEJE, M. U. (2012). Effect of dietary addition of toasted soybean meal on libido, semen quality and testis histology of rabbit bucks. Scientific Journal of Med. Sci. 1(1) 7-12.
- OKORO, V. M. O., OGUNDU, U.E., OKOLI, I. C., OPARA, M. N., OKORO, C. L., NWACHUKWU, E. N. AND IBE, S. N. (2013). Estimates of genetic parameters for growth traits in Pig crosses of Nigerian indigenous and exotic breeds at birth, weaning and maturity. Wayamba J. of Anim. Sci. p660-667.
- OKORO, V. M. O., OGUNDU, U. E., UDEDIBIE, A. B. I., OKORO, C. L., UKWU, H. O. AND IBE, S. N. (2015). Effect of genotype, sex and parity on growth traits of diallel crossed Nigerian indigenous and exotic pigs. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 42(1):29-40.
- OKORO, V.M., OGUNDU, U.E., OKANI,
M., OZIRI, I., ENEOW O.O., OLISENEKWU, O.T., KADURUMBA O., OGBUEWU, I.P. , ONYEMAUWA S., UKWU, H.O., & IBE, S.N.(2015) Principal component analysis of conformation and blood markers traits at pre-and post-weaning stages of growth in f2 crossbred Nigerian indigenous x Landrace pigs. Animal Biotechnology 26; 243—250
- OLANIKE, F. DEJI, MULEMA, A. ANNET, OGUNDU U. E. (ACGG-SNC, Imo State), AJAYI, F. O. (ACGG-SNC, Rivers State), OPAYINKA AANUOLUWAPO O. AND SONAIYA E. B. (ACGG-NG Principal Investigator). (2018). Gender assessment of Local Understanding and Indicators of Empowerment among ACGG Project Beneficiaries in Nigeria. ILRI July Bulletin Report.
- LILIAN OGECHI OKAFOR, VICTOR MELA OBINNA OKORO, CHRISTIAN ANAYOCHUKWU MBAJIRGO, CHARLES IFEANYI OKOLI, UDUAK OGUNDU. (2018). Influence of Chicken Growth Hormone (cGH) SNP Genotypes on Morphometric and Growth traits of three Chicken Breeds. Tropical Health and Production.
- OGECHI KADURUMBA, ILOEJE M. U., OGUNDU U. E., OKOLI I. C. (2018). Components of Local Duck Production in South-East Ecological Zone of Nigeria. Animal Production Science.
- A. Yakubu, O.Bamidele, W.A.Hassan, F.O.Ajayi, U.E.
Ogundu, O.Alabi, E.B.Sonaiya, & O.A.Adebambo (2019). Farmer’s Choice of genotypes and trait preference in iTABs in five agro-ecological zones in Nig.Tropical Animal Health & Production.