Prof. Isaac Ogbennaya Igwe
B.Eng., MSc. PhD
- PhD. (Polymer and Textile Engineering), Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria 2000.
- M.Sc. (Polymer Chemistry), University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria, 1989.
- B.Sc. (Hons) Chemistry, First Class, University of Maiduguri, Nigeria, 1983.
- West African School Certificate (WASC), Division 1, 1977.
- First School Leaving Certificate (FSLC), Distinction, 1971.
- Received a Merit Certificate in the MOCK WASC Examination of National High School, Aro – Ndizuogu, 1977.
- Was awarded a PRIZE for being the best graduating student, Faculty of Science, University of Maiduguri, 1982/83 Academic Session.
- Was invited by the Royal Society of Chemistry(RSC), London to write a book chapter on Transport of Penetrant Molecules through Natural Rubber Based – Blends and IPNs.
- Member, Chemical Society of Nigeria (MCSN).
- Fellow, Polymer Institute of Nigeria (MPIN)
Learned Society Activities
- Member, Membership Drive (Zone A), Chemical Society of Nigeria, Benue State Chapter.
- Member, Technical Sub-Committee of Local Organizing Committee, 26th Annual International Conference of the Chemical Society of Nigeria (CSN) Sept. 2003, Makurdi.
- Paper/book reviewer to a number of reputable journal publishers.
- The rapporteur, Technical Session, 17th Annual Technical Conference of Polymer Institute of Nigeria, Port Harcourt, Nov. 23 – 24, 2006.
- Associate Editor, School of Engineering and Engineering Technology Journal, Engineering Technology Quarterly.
- Associate Editor, Nigerian Journal of Polymer Science and Technology.
- Editorial Board Member, FUTO Journal Series (FJNLS)
- Member, Technical/Publication Sub-Committee, 26th Annual Technical Conference/AGM of the Polymer Institute of Nigeria, Owerri, October 28 – 30, 2015.
- Acting Chairman, Polymer Institute of Nigeria (PIN), Owerri District, Nigeria.
Courses Assigned to Teach
- PTE 202 Introduction to Polymer and Textile Technology
- PTE 303 Polymer Physics
- PTE 322 Analysis and Testing of Polymerics and Textiles
- PTE 405 Properties of Bulk Polymers
- PTE 503 Polymer Chain Properties and Solutions
- PTE 513 Seminar
- PTE 515/516 Research Project
- PTE 528 Glass Technology
- PTE 534 Polymer Reactions and Degradation
- PTE 803 Polymer Structure and Characterization.
- PTE 804 Fibre Chemistry
- PTE 812 Seminar
- PTE 819-Advance Fibre Physics
- PTE 816-Project
- PTE 901 – Colloid Science
- PTE 904 – Coal and Petroleum Chemistry and Engineering
- PTE 916 – Project
WORK EXPERIENCE WITH DATE
- Underwent a two-month Industrial Attachment at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) Refinery, Kaduna, Nigeria (Aug. – Sept. 1982).
- NYSC, Iruekpen Grammar School, Ekpoma, Edo State, Nigeria (Sept. 1983 – Sept. 1984).
- Chemistry Lecturer, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, Nigeria (the Defunct Federal University of Technology, Makurdi/University of Jos, Markudi Campus)(Feb.1985 – Nov.2003).
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Pure and Industrial Chemistry, University of Nigeria Nsukka, Nigeria (1986/87 Academic Session).
- Lecturer, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria (Dec 2003 – Date).
- Sabbatical Leave Professor, Department of Polymer and Textile Engineering, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, Nigeria (March 2011 – March 2012)
Coating (paints), polymer composites and blends, diffusion of penetrant molecules into polymers, polymer materials, metallic corrosion inhibitors.
- Polymer composites and blends.
- Local clay extended paints.
- Dilute solution viscosity behaviour of polymers.
- Metallic corrosion inhibition potentials of synthetic and naturally occurring polymers
- I.O. Igwe and J.A. Ibemesi. Viscometric Study of Film Thickness Effects on Drying of Oils. Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria 14, 51-56, 1989.
- J. A Ibemesi and I. O. Igwe. Anomalous Viscosity Behaviour of Fatty Acid Esters in Solutions. Journal of American Oil Chemist’s Society, 168(3), 147-152, 1991
- I. O. Igwe, E.N. Okafor and G H. Award. Studies on the Inhibition of the Corrosion of Mild Steel in Hydrochloric Acid Solutions. Journal of Agriculture, Science Sand Technology, 5-6 (1&2), 165-185, 2007.
- I. O. Igwe and O. Ogbobe. Studies on the Properties of Polyesters and Polyester Blends of Selected Vegetable Oils. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 75, 1441 – 1446, 2000
- I. O. Igwe and I.S. Odeh. A Study of Intrinsic Viscosities of Some Selected Vegetable Oils in Organic Solvent. Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria, 25, 96 – 99, 2000.
- O. Ogbobe and Isaac O. Igwe. Effect of Blending on the Alcoholysis of Some Seed Oils. Nigerian Journal of Polymer Science and Technology, I. 78 – 83, 2001
- Isaac O. Igwe and O. Ogbobe. A Study on the Kinetics of Alkyd Resin Formation I. Journal of Chemical Society of Nigeria, 26, 75-80, 2001.
- Isaac O. Igwe. The Effects of Temperature on the Viscosity of Vegetable Oils in Solution. Industrial Crops and Products, 19, 185 – 190, 2004.doi:10.1016/j.indcrop.
- Isaac O. Igwe. An Overview on the Use of Vegetable Oils in the Surface Coatings Industry: the Nigeria Experience. Nigerian Journal of Polymer Science and Technology, 5 (1), 339 – 346, 2006.
- Isaac O. Igwe, Chinomso Ewulonu and Ifeoma Igboanugo. Studies on the Diffusio0n Characteristics of Some Aromatic Solvents into Polypropylene Film. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 102 (2), 1965 – 1989, 2006.DOI.10.1002/app.24593
- Isaac O. Igwe. Thicker, yet Thinner: The Viscosity of Alkyd Solutions can increase at Low Concentrations. European Coatings Journal, 09 (06), 50 – 53, 2006.
- Isaac O. Igwe. viscometric studies on the drying of alkyd resin. Journal of Science and Technology Research, 6(2), 58 – 82, 2007.
- Isaac O. Igwe. Uptake of Aromatic solvents by Polyethylene Films. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 104, 3849 – 3854, 2007.DOI:10.1002/app.25980
- Isaac O. Igwe and Okechukwu Onyeagba. Studies on the Effects of Temperature on the Anomalous Viscosity Behaviour of Alkyd Resin in Solutions. Journal of Research in Engineering, 4(1), 79 – 84, 2007.
- Isaac O. Igwe. Studies on the Properties of Polypropylene Filled with Agricultural and Domestic Wastes. Journal of Research in Engineering, 4 (2), 8-12,(2007)
- S. A. Umoren, O. Ogbobe, Isaac O. Igwe and E.E Ebenso. Inhibition of Mild Steel Corrosion in Acidic Medium Using Synthetic and Naturally Occurring Polymers and Synergistic Halide Additives. Corrosion Science, 50, 1998-2006, 2008.doi:10.1016/j.corsc.2008.
- Isaac O. Igwe and Paul C. Njoku. End-Use Properties of Polypropylene Composites. International Journal of Physical Sciences, 3(4), 1-6, 2008.
- Savior A. Umoren, Ime B. Obot and Isaac O. Igwe. Synergistic Inhibition between Polyvinylpyrollidone and Iodide Ions on Corrosion of Aluminum in HCL. The Open Corrosion Journal, 1, 12-18, 2008.
- Henry C. Obasi, Okoro Ogbobe and Isaac O. Igwe. Diffusion Characteristics of Toluene into Natural Rubber/Linear Low-Density Polyethylene Blends. International Journal of Polymer Science, Vol. 2009, Article ID 140682, 6 pages, doi. 1155/2009/140682.
- Isaac Ogbennaya Igwe and Luvia Uchenna Ezeamaku. The Use of Some Local Clays in Alkyd Paint Formulations. Malaysian Polymer Journal, 5(1), 81-94, 2010.
- G. C. Onuegbu and Isaac O. Igwe. The Effects of Filler Contents and Particle Sizes on the Mechanical and End-Use Properties of Snail Shell Powder Filled Polypropylene. Materials Sciences and Application, 2, 810 – 816, 2011.doi:10.4236/rnsa.2011.
- Isaac Ogbennaya Igwe and Augustina Adanna Ejim. Studies on Mechanical and End-Use Properties of Natural Rubber Filled with Snail Shell Power. Materials Sciences and Applications, 2, 801-809, 2011.doi:10.4236/rnsa.2011.
- Isaac O. Igwe. Studies on Industrial Equivalent of Paints. Nigerian Journal of Polymer Science and Technology, 7(1), 56 – 62, 2011.
- Chinomso M. Ewulonu and Isaac O. Igwe. Properties of Oil Palm Empty Fruit Bunch Fibre Filled High-Density Polyethylene. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 03(6), 458-471, 2011 – 2012.
- Anyiam Chioma Kezaiah and Igwe Isaac Ogbennaya. Studies on the Use of an Industrial Waste Clay in Alkyd Paint Formulations. International Journal of Academic Research Part A: Natural and Applied Science, 04(2), 306-313, 2012.
- Isaac O. Igwe and Genevive C. Onuegbu. Studies on Properties of Egg Shell and Fish Bone Powder Filled Polypropylene. American Journal of Polymer Science, 02(4), 56-61, 2012.DOI:10.5923/j.ajps.
- Isaac O. Igwe and Iheoma C. Chukwujike. The Effect of Maleic Anhydride-Graft-Polyethylene on the Mechanical and End-Use Properties of White Star Apple Seed Power Filled High-Density Polyethylene. Journal Science and Technology Research, 11(3), 153 – 185, 2012.
- Isaac O. Igwe and Obumneme E. Ezeani. Studies on the Transport of Aromatic Solvents Through Filled Natural Rubber. International Journal of Polymer Science, Vol. 2012, Article ID 212507, 11 pages, doi:10. 1155/212507.
- Ifeoma P. Oragwu and Isaac O. Igwe. Studies on Mechanical and Water Uptake Properties of Some Polyolefins/Corn Starch Blends 1. American Journal of Engineering Research, 2(7), 22 – 27,
- H.O. Opara, I. O. Igwe and C.M. Ewulonu, Mechanical and Chemical Resistance Properties of High-Density Polyethylene Filled with Corn Hub and Coconut Fibre. International Research of Journal of Pure and Applied Chemistry, 11(2), 1-10, 2016. DOI:10.9734/IRJPAC/2016/22902
- Henry C. Obasi, Isaac O. Igwe and Innocent C. Madufor. Effect of Soil Burial on Tensile Properties of Polypropylene/Plasticized Cassava Starch Blends. Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, 1-5, 2003.
- Obasi, H.C. and Isaac O. Igwe. Effects of Native Cassava Starch and Compatibilizer on Biodegradable and Tensile Properties of Polypropylene. American Journal of Engineering Research, 03(2), 96-104, 2014.
- H.C. Obasi, I. O. Igwe, O.Ogbobe, I.C. Madufor and F.C. Egeolu. Analysis of the Mechanical and Degradation Performances of Selected Starch/Propylene Blends. Journal of Basic and Applied Research International, 7(1), 42-52, 2015.
- Obasi, H.C., Isaac O. Igwe., Ogbobe, O., Aharanwa, B.C. and Egeolu, F.C. Processing Characterization of Thermoplastic Starch/Polypropylene Blends. International Journal of Scientific Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, 1(2), 7-13, 2015.
- Obasi, Henry C. and Isaac O. Igwe. Cassava Starch Mixed Polypropylene Biodegradable Polymer: Preparation, Characterization and Effects of Biodegradation Products on Growth of Plants. International Journal of Scientific Research, 3(7), 2015.
- Chinomso M. Ewulonu, Isaac O. Igwe. and G.N. Onyeagoro. Performance of Local Clay – Titanium Dioxide Core-Shell Extender Pigments in Alkyd Paints. Advances in Nanoparticles, 5, 90 – 102. 2016. DOI:10.4236/anp.2016/51011
- C.M. Ewulonu, I. O. Igwe and G.N. Onyeagoro. Synthesis and Characterization of Local Clay – Titanium Dioxide Core-Shell Extender Pigments. Journal of Coatings Technology and Research, 13(5), 931-949,2016. DOI:10.1007/s11998-016-9786-4
- I. O. Igwe, C.M. Ewulonu, A.N. Chikei and B. Nicholas. Performance Evaluation of Aro-Ndizuogu Local Clay in Alkyd Paint Production. International Journal of Engineering and Technologies, 7, 87 -93, 2016.doi:org/10.18052/www.
- Chukwujike, I.C. and I. O. Igwe. Extender Properties of Some Nigerian Clays. Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, 4, 279 -291, 2016. DOI:10.4236/jmmce.2015.45025
- I. O. Igwe, I.C. Uche and C. Nwapa. Utilization of Oilbean and Breadfruit Seeds Oils in the Synthesis of Alkyd Resins, 11, 1 – 11, 2016.
- I. C Chiwujike, I. O. Igwe and G.N. Onyeagoro. Performance Evaluation of Local Clay – Extender Pigments on Alkyd Paint Formulations. International Journal of Modern Research and Engineering Technology, 1(3), 30 – 41, 2016.
- I.O. Eze, I. O. Igwe, O.Ogbabe, E.E. Anyanwu and I. Nwachukwu. Mechanical Properties of Pineapple Leaf Powder Filled High-Density Polyethylene. International Journal of Engineering and Technologies, 9, 13-19, (2016).doi:10.18052/www.
- O.E. Ezeani, I. O. Igwe and G.N. Onyeagoro. The Effect of Benzophenone Photo-Initiator on Some Mechanical Properties of Photo-Oxidized Polypropylene/Thermoplastic Starch Blends. International Journal of Engineering and Science, 6(1), 43-51, 2017.
- I.O. Ochiogha, I. O. Igwe, O.Ogbebe, H.C. Obasi, U.L. Ezeamaku, S.C. Nwanonenyi, E.E. Anyanwu and I. Nwachukwu. Effects of Compatibilization on Mechanical Properties of Pineapple Leaf Powder Filled High-Density Polypropylene. International Journal of Engineering and Technologies, 10, 22-28, 2017.
- Isaac O. Igwe, Gift Osuoha and Chinedu Nwapa. Characterization and Utilization of Eziulo Clay as an Extender in Emulsion Paint Formulations. Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, 5, 174 – 184, 2017.doi:10.4236/jmmce.2017.
- Eze, I.O., Igwe, I. O., Ogbebe, O., Obasi, H.C., Ezeamaku, U.L., Nwanonenyi, S.C., Anyanwu, E.E. and Nwachukwu, I. Effects of Hydrogen Peroxide Treated Pineapple Leaf Powder on Mechanical Properties of High-Density Polypropylene Composites. European Journal of Advances in Engineering and Technology, 4(8), 617-622, 2017.
- Eze, I.O. and I. O. Igwe The Effect of Surface Treatment of Pineapple Leaf Fibre on the Properties of High-Density Polyethylene Composites. FUTO Journal Series, 3(2), 71-79, 2017
- I. O. Eze and I. O. Igwe, Comparison of Some Mechanical Properties of Injection and Extrusion Moulded Pineapple Leaf Powder Filled High-Density Polyethylene. European Journal of Advances in Engineering and Technology, 5(4), 236-243, 2018.
- Chinenye C. Ekwueme and Isaac O. Igwe, Cure Characteristics and Mechanical Properties of Pineapple Leaf Fibre Filled Natural Rubber. Journal of Minerals and Material Characterization and Engineering, 6, 601 – 617, 2018. DOI: 10.4236/jmmce.2018.66043
- Chinyere C. Ekwueme, Isaac O. Igwe and Anokwute O. Vivian. End-Use Properties of Pineapple Apple Leaf Fibre Filled Natural Rubber. Journal of Minerals and Material Charaction and Engineering, Accepted, 2019.
- Ohaga, S .C., Igwe, I. O. and Nwapa, C. Mechanical and End-Use Properties of High-Density Polyethylene Filled with Plantain Peel Powder. International Journal of Polymer and Textile Engineering, Accepted, 2019