Dr Anthony Ezechukwu Ogu
At the Directorate of General Studies of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria
- PhD, English, University of Uyo (2012)
- MA, English as a Second Language (ESL), University of Nigeria, Nsukka (1987)
- BA, (Hons) English, University of Nigeria, Nsukka (1985)
- TCII (1979)
- WASC (1977)
- Dr Ogu’s doctoral dissertation entitled “Conversational English in Nollywood and Hollywood Films” focused on the influence of the socio-cultural context on linguistic and pragmatic forms in the Nigerian and American films.
- His other areas of research interest include the following:
- Applied Linguistics
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- International Reading Association (IRA)
- Reading Association of Nigeria (RAN)
- Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA)
- Ogu, A. E. (2011a) “A Pragmatic Study of the Nigerian Home Video Films”. In Udofot (ed.) Uyo Online Journal of Humanities (UOJH), Vol. 2, pp 1-18
- (2012) “The Nigerian Playwright and the Writing of Dialogue”. In Emejulu & Abanihe (eds.) Cross-disciplinary Perspectives in Literacy & Language Studies, Vol. 2, pp 82-95
- (2016a) “Deploying Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) in the Teaching of Use of English in the Federal University of Technology, Owerri”. In International Journal of English Language Teaching, vol 4, No. 4, pp 1-13.
- (2016b) “Inferences and Background Assumptions as Key to Meaning Interpretation in Side Attraction(A Nigerian Film). In International Journal of English Language and Linguistics Research, vol 4, No. 3, pp 1-20.
- (2013a) “The place of literature in a task-based language teaching classroom: The FUTO Experience”. Accepted for publication in Africa World Literature: University of Nigeria Journal of English Studies
- (2017) “Critical and Digital Literacy for National Development and Security. (Awaiting publication in Literacy and Reading in Nigeria [a journal of the Reading Association of Nigeria (RAN)])
Chapters in class texts
- Ogu, A. E. (2001). “Writing” in Izuagba, A. C. (ed.) Functional English and Communication Skills for Higher Education Book I (pp.83-10). Owerri: Hudson-Jude Publishers
- (2002a). “Punctuation”. In Izuagba, A. C. (ed.) Functional English and Communication Skills for Higher Education Book II (pp.100-111). Owerri: Versatile Publishers
- (2002b). “Outlining and Summary Writing”. In Izuagba, A. C. (ed.) Functional English and Communication Skills for Higher Education Book II (pp.102-131). Owerri: Versatile Publishers,
- (2002c). “Phonetics and Oral Communication”. In Njoku, C. N. (ed.) Remedial English for Higher Education Book I (pp.56-98). Owerri: Hudson-Jude Publishers
- (2002d). “Official Correspondences”. In Njoku, C. N. (ed.) Remedial English for Higher Education Book II (pp.143-165). Owerri: Hudson-Jude Publishers
- Ihejirika, R. C. & Ogu, A. E. (2016). “Outlining”. In Ogu, A. E., Ihejirika, R. C. & Emejulu, O. A. (eds.). The Use of English and Communication Skills for Tertiary Education (pp.209-218). Owerri: Cel-Bez Publishing Company
- Amadi, D. C. & Ogu, A. E.(2016). “Vocabulary Development”. In Ogu, A. E., Ihejirika, R. C. & Emejulu, O. A. (eds.). The Use of English and Communication Skills for Tertiary Education (pp. 219-255). Owerri: Cel-Bez Publishing Company
- Ogu, A. E., Ahumaraeze, C. & Ujowundu, L. (2016). “Grammar”. In Ogu, A.E., Ihejirika, R. C., Emejulu, O. A. & Amadi, D. C. (eds.) Effective English Communication for Tertiary Institutions (pp.1-74). Owerri: Skillmark Media Ltd.
- Ogu, A. E. & Amadi, A. I. (2017). “Language and Style in Technical Report writing”. In Njemanze, Q.U., Amadi, D. C., Chukwu, K. U. & Okere, M. C. (eds.) Essentials of Communication Skills & Technical Writing for Higher Education (pp. 169-212). Lagos: Jil Publishers Global Limited
- Ogu, A. E. (2007). “From the Village Square”( a poem) in Amanze-Akpuda (ed.) Heartland Muse: An Anthology of ANA IMO Readings (an in-house journal of the Association of Nigerian Authors, Imo State Chapter) February 2007 edition, p.18
- (2010). “The Jungle City”(a short story) in Ajileye, G.; Duruaku A. B. C. T.; King-Aribisala, K. (eds.) Ogele: An Anthology of Creative Literature and Essays, pp.190-193
- (2010). “I Don’t Know My Name Anymore” (a poem) in Ajileye, G., Duruaku A. B. C. T., & King-Aribisala, K. (eds.) Ogele: An Anthology of Creative Literature and Essays, p.242
NOTE: Dr Ogu’s creative works that are yet to be published include fifty-four poems, four short stories, a play and nine essays on topical national issues.
TEACHING IN TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS
- 2004 – date Dr Ogu joined the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, on 26 March 2004 as Lecturer II and has been teaching the following courses:
- GST 101 — Use of English I
- GST 102 – Use of English II
- ENG 313/MGT 405 –Technical Report Writing
(Also teaches Pre-degree English courses on part-time)
- 1995 – 2009 – Part-time lecturer at Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education, Owerri.
Taught the following courses at degree and NCE levels within the period:
- ENGL 321-Comparative English Grammar
- ENGL324- English Morphology and Syntax
- ENGL 325- English Semantics
- GS 101- Use of English I
- GS 102- Use of English II
- ENG 223(SM)- Varieties of English
- ENG 211(SM)- The Structure of English
- ENG 321(SM)- Stylistics
- ENG 122(DM)- Reading Comprehension
- ENG 111(DM)- Practical Listening Skill
- ENG 324 (SM)- Summary Writing Skills
- GSE 101-Language and Communication Skills I
- GSE 102-Language and Communication Skills II
- GSE 103-Language and Communication Skills III
- GSE 104-Language and Communication Skills IV
- 1987 – Briefly taught GS 101 — Use of English in the Division of General Studies of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, while a postgraduate student.
SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHING OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE-IN-ENGLISH
- 1988 – 2004 – Taught English language and Literature-in-English with the Imo State Secondary Education Management Board, Owerri, until he joined the Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
- 1979 – 1981 – Taught briefly as a TC II teacher with the Education Services Board, Owerri, before gaining admission to study at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE EXAMINER
- 1990 – 2002 – English language examiner for the West African Examination Council (WAEC)