B.Eng., MSc., PhD
Asonye, Gladys Uche is a Senior Lecturer at the Agricultural and Bio-resources Engineering Department of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO), Nigeria, with research interest in Crop Processing and Storage, Value addition, Post-Harvest and Bio-resources Technology. I had my secondary school education at the Girls’ College, Ipaja, Lagos, Nigeria; B.Sc. (Hons.)(FUTO); M.Sc. (Ibadan) and Ph.D (FUTO). Born on the 12th of May 1983 and hails from Otulu, Ahiara in AhiazuMbaise Local Government Area of Imo State and married to Mr. Josephat Chibukem of Ikeduru Local Government area of Imo State. I have got teaching experiences at the following educational institutions; Gombe Technical College, Gombe State; Lagooz College, Lagos State; Ihiagwa Technical College, Owerri West, Imo State; De-Unique International College, Lagos State and Otulu Community School, Ahiazu Mbaise, Imo State. Presently, I am lecturing at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri; supervising graduate and post-graduate works. I have over fifteen (15) published peer-reviewed articles in reputable national and international journal outfits as well as five (5) papers in national and international conference proceedings. I have participated in conferences and learned society activities. I have some productive works as solutions to challenges in the engineering problems of Agriculture. I have served as a member of different committees – Departmental Handbook Committee (ABE), Federal University of Technology (FUTO) (2012), Welfare Committee (ABE), FUTO, (2013-2016); Accreditation Sub-committee on Academic Content (ABE) (2016); Quality Assurance Committee (ABE) (2017); SEET Handbook Committee (2019) and Planning Committee for Student Orientation (ABE) (2015 – to date). I am a Chartered Engineer registered with Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN); Member of Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers (MNIAE); Member, Nigerian Society of Engineers (MNSE) and former State Secretary of the Association of Professional Women Engineers of Nigeria, (MAPWEN), Imo State Branch.
B.ENG. (FUTO); M.SC (IBADAN); Ph.D (FUTO)
- Nigerian Institution of Environmental Engineers (NIEE)
- Nigeria Institution of Agricultural Engineers (NIAE)
- Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) M.28972
- COREN Registered Engineer (R.27824)
- Association of Professional Women Engineers of Nigeria (APWEN)
Courses Assigned to Teach
Design and development of handling equipment for products of plant and animal origin; Mathematical modeling of cost-effective and resource-saving postharvest processes (storage, handling, processing, and packaging of plant-based materials); Optimization of post-harvest operations in terms of energy consumption and quality of final products. Precision Agriculture; Big data analysis of agricultural processing operations; Studies on the effect of agricultural mechanization practices on the environment; Engineering properties of food materials in relation to handling and postharvest processing; Application of electronics to postharvest crop processing.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Asonye, U.G.,Nwakuba, N.R. and Asoegwu, S.N (2019). Numerical and experimental studies on the cutting energy requirements of okra (AbelmoschusEsculentus L.). Arid Zone Journal of Engineering, Technology & Environment AZOJETE – CIGR Section VI Special Issue, 14(SP.i4): 22 -38. Published by the Faculty of Engineering, University of Maidiguri, Maidiguri, Nigeria.
- Nwakuba, N.R., Chukwuezie, O.C., Asonye, U.G. and Asoegwu, S.N (2019). Energy analysis and optimization of thin layer drying conditions of okra. Arid Zone Journal of Engineering, Technology & Environment AZOJETE – CIGR Section VI Special Issue, 14(SP.i4): 135-154. Published by the Faculty of Engineering, University of Maidiguri, Maidiguri, Nigeria.
- Nwakuba, N.R.,Asonye, U. G. and Asoegwu, S.N. (2019). Influence of process parameters on the energy requirements and dried sliced tomato quality. Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 54(1): 1 – 20. https://doi.org/10.13031. To be published by American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE).
- Asonye G. U.,Asoegwu, S. N., Maduako, J. N. andMadubuike, C. N. (2018). Energy requirements for cutting of selected vegetables: A review.20(4): 139 – 148.Agricultural Engineering International: CIGRJournal.
- Asonye G. U., S. N. Asoegwu , J. N. Maduako , C. N. Madubuike. (2018). A Mathematical model for predicting the cutting energy of cocoyam (ColocasiaEsculenta).Arid Zone Journal of Engineering, Technology and Environment.
- Asonye G. U., S. N. Asoegwu , J. N. Maduako , C. N. Madubuike. (2018). A Mathematical Model for Predicting the Cutting Energy of Okra(Abelmoschusesculentus L.)Arid Zone Journal of Engineering, Technology & Environment AZOJETE – CIGR Section VI Special Issue, 14(SP.i4): 135-154. Published by the Faculty of Engineering, University of Maidiguri, Maidiguri, Nigeria.
- Nwaigwe, K. N., Okafor, V. C., Asonye, G. U.,Nwokocha, J. C. (2015). Analysis of tuber storage techniques in africa. American Society of Agricultural and Bioresources Engineering Annual International Meeting.
- Asonye G. U.,Nnamani C. E. and Alaka, C. A. (2015). Design and Fabrication of a Remote Controlled System for a Hydraulic Jack. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (Irjet). Volume: 02 Issue: 07 |.
- Asonye, G.U.,Asoegwu S.N. and Ohaeri. O.H. 2014. Effect of moisture content on some physical and frictional properties of african locust bean (Pakiabiglobosa). 22 (4): 24-37. Journal of Agricultural Engineering and Technology (JAET).
- Asonye, G.U.,Abbah, E.C. and Asoegwu,S. N.(2014). Bio-Fuel for sustainable development in a growing economy. 22(4); 134-142. Journal of Agricultural Engineering and Technology. (JAET).
- Aremu, A. K. and Asonye, U. G. Ergonomic evaluation of an african oil bean (PentaclethraMacrophyllaBenth) seed. www.science pub.net/rural (3)2
- Aremu, A.K. and Asonye, U.G. Development and evaluation of a machine for slicing african oil bean (PentaclethraMacrophyllaBenth) Seeds. (18):1-2. African Journal Online.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Asonye, U.G.,Nwakuba, N.R., Asoegwu, S.N. (2018). A mathematical model for predicting the cutting energy requirements of okra (AbelmoschusEsculentus L.). Proceedings of the 12th International CIGR Symposium, IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria, Pp. 121 – 142.
- Nwakuba, N.R., Chukwuezie, O.C., Asonye, U.G., Asoegwu, S.N. (2018). Energy efficiency and optimization of convective hot air drying conditions of okra slices. 12th International CIGR Symposium, IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria, Pp.464 – 488.
- Asoegwu, S.N., Asonye, U.G.,Agbetoye, L.A.S. and Ogunlowo. A.S. (2011). Effects of moisture content on the frictional properties of African Breadfruit seeds. Proceedings of the Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers. ‘Ilorin 2011’ (32): 639-653.
- Asonye, G. U.,Nwakuba, N. R. and Asoegwu, S. N. (2020). Predicting the cutting energy requirements of onion bulbs using mathematical modelling. Accepted for presentation at the 5th international conference of the International Commission of Agricultural and Bioresources Engineering holding at Quebec City Convention Centre, Quebec, Canada, June 14th-18th
Research Gate Profile URL: resarchgate.net/profile/Gladys.Asonye
Google Scholar Page URL: Scholar.google.com/citations? User-87