B.Eng., MSc., PhD
Engr. Okore Okay Okorafor joined the services of FUTO 12 years ago as graduate assistant (GA), presently he is a senior lecturer and the head of Department. He obtained his Bachelor of Engineering (2007) and Master of Engineering (2013) from FUTO in Soil and Water Engineering while his Ph.D (2017) was done in FUTA in Soil, Water and Environmental Engineering with the sponsorship of TETFUND. He has served the Department in a number of positions of which are Class Adviser (2012-date), Departmental Library Officer (2012-2022), Departmental Welfare Officer (2016-2022) and Departmental Postgraduate Coordinator (2020-2022). He is a member of Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), Nigerian Institution of Agricultural Engineers (NIAE), American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) and he is a registered COREN engineer. He has graduated two (2) Masters students with a good number of undergraduates in the field of Agricultural Engineering. His research area covers hydrology and hydraulics, soil erosion management/assessment, flood risk analysis/assessment, water resources engineering/management, environmental sustainability, watershed management, waste/wastewater treatment, waste management, remote sensing and geographical information systems. He has various courses both at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and some of the undergraduate courses are; Irrigation System Design, Drainage Engineering, Seminar presentation, Design of Farm Structures, Watershed Management and Modeling, Soil and Water Conservation Engineering, Decision Support and Data Systems, Hydrology, Hydraulics, Soil Mechanics/Foundations and Statistical Research for Agricultural Engineering. The post-graduate courses are; Soil Erosion, Transportation and Deposition, Advanced Drainage Engineering and Integrated Watershed Management. He has published local and international journals extensively in the area of soil, water and environmental engineering. He has also presented papers in conferences within the country. His current research direction is geared toward drone development/technology, greenhouse designs and development, expert systems/artificial intelligence and conversion of agricultural wastes. Currently he has also started research in the area of utilization of agricultural wastes (palm kernel shells, periwinkle shell, coconut fiber, bamboo ash, sugarcane bagasse etc.) as replacements in concrete either as pozzolans or as aggregates.
B.Eng., M.Eng., Ph.D.
- R.COREN (R37191)
- MNSE (32403)
- MNIAE (M2189)
- MASABE (M1049229)
Courses Assigned to Teach
- Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems.
- Soil Erosion Management
- Water Resources and Waste Management
- Bioresources and Biomass
- Flood Risk Assessment
- Nwufo, O.C, Nzebuka, G.C, Okoronkwo, O.O, Okorafor, O.O, Onwuachu, C.C, Ononogbo, C, and Igbokwe, J.O, (2023), Watermelon (Citrullus vulgaris) seed oil as a potential feedstock for biodiesel production in Nigeria. Biofuels, DOI:10.1080/17597269.2023.2167272.
- Okorafor, O.O, Chikwue, M.I, Nwakuba, N.R and Nwaobi, F.A, (2021), Mapping of Flood prone areas in Imo State, Southeastern Nigeria using remote sensing and GIS techniques.Scientific Research Journal 9(7):1-9.
- Kalu-Uka, G.M, Kumar, S., Kalu-Uka, A.C, Vikram, S., Okorafor, O.O, Kigozi, M., Ihekweme, G.O and Onwualu, A.P, (2021), Prospects of biodiesel production from Macrotermes nigeriensis: Process Optimization and characterization of biodiesel properties. Biomass and Bioenergy, 146(2021) 105980.
- Okorafor, O.O, Egwuonwu, C.C, Ujah, E.U, Chikwue, M.I and Nnadieze, G.J, (2019), Utilization of Palm Kernel Shell (PKS) as Coarse aggregate in lightweight concrete. International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, 6(10):1730-1743.
- Okorafor, O.O, Akinbile, C.O and A.J. Adeyemo, (2018), Determination of soils erodibility factor (K) for selected sites in Imo State, Nigeria. Resources and Environment, 8(1):6-13.
- Okore Okay Okorafor, Christopher Oluwakunmi Akinbile and Adebayo Jonathan Adeyemo (2017), Determination of Cover-crop Management Factor (C) for selected sites in Imo State using remote sensing and GIS. Environment and Sustainability, 1(4): 110-116.
- Okorafor, O.O, Akinbile, C.O and A.J. Adeyemo, (2017), Conservation and Support Management practices for Environmental Sustainability in Imo State, Nigeria. 38th NIAE Conference Proceedings 38(1):418-423.
- Okorafor, O.O, Akinbile, C.O and A.J. Adeyemo, (2017), Soil Erosion in Southeastern Nigeria: A Review. Scientific Research Journal 5(9): 30-37.
- Okorafor, O.O, Akinbile, C.O, A.J. Adeyemo and C.C Egwuonwu, (2017), Determination of rainfall Erosivity Index (R) for Imo State, Nigeria. American Journal of Engineering Research 6(2): 13-16.
- Anyanwu, V.K, Egwuonwu, C.C, Okorafor, O.O and M.I. Chikwue (2017), Reliability Studies of Six Evapotranspiration Models for Awka in Southeastern Nigeria. International Journal of Agriculture and Bioresources, 6(5): 227-230.
- Okorafor, O.O, Egwuonwu C.C, Chikwue, M.I, Okafor, V.C and C. Nzediegwu, (2015), Flood Frequency Analysis of Otamiri River Catchment Area Using Gumbels Distribution Method. International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering 5(10): 205-211.
- Okorafor, O.O, Okereke, N.A.A and C. C. Egwuonwu,(2013),” Evaluation of the Hydropower Potential of Otamiri River for Electric Power Generation”, Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology. 6(24): 4541-4547.
- Okorafor, O.O, Nzediegwu, C. , Duruanyim, I.L and C.C. Egwuonwu,(2013),Design of Drip Irrigation System for a Pineapple Orchard for F.U.T.O School farm. Greener Journals of Agricultural Sciences. 3(6): 497-502.
- Egwuonwu, C.C, Okafor, V.C, Ezeanya, N.C, Nzediegwu, C. and O. Okorafor,(2012), A Comparison of the Reliability of Six Evapotranspiration Computing Models for Abeokuta in South-Western Nigeria, Greener Journals of Physical Sciences. 2(4):64-69.
- Nzediegwu, C., Duruanyim, I.L, Madubuike, C.N, Okorafor, O.O, Egwuonwu, C.C and E.C. Chukwuma,(2013), Development of Local Flood Alarm System for Riverine Flood Forecasting. Greener Journal of Management and Public Safety, 2(6):200-209.
Research Gate Profile URL: https://www.researcggate.net/profile/Okore-Okorafor-3
Google Scholar Page URL: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=C1ub9gAAAJ&hl=en