FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI
PMB I526, OWERRI, IMO STATE
RESOLUTIONS FROM THE 493RD EXTRA-ORDINARY MEETING OF THE SENATE OF FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI, ON TUESDAY, AUGUST 8, 2023
The Senate of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) at its 493rd Extra-ordinary meeting held on Tuesday, August 8, 2023, deliberated extensively on the press releases by the Owerri Zone of ASUU at Awka, Anambra State which disparaged and denigrated the office and person of the Vice-Chancellor of FUTO, Prof. (Mrs.) Nnenna N. Oti, her Management team, Senate and indeed, the entire University. FUTO Senate unequivocally and unanimously condemned the action of ASUU-NEC and ASUU-Owerri Zone, for the unprovoked attack on FUTO which was aimed at degrading the image of the University.
Senate expressed serious concern over the two (2) press releases on the 4th and 3rd of August, 2023 respectively, delivered by the ASUU-Owerri Zone Chairman, Prof. Dennis Aribodor wherein he falsely accused the Vice-Chancellor of FUTO of suspending members of ASUU-FUTO Executive and replacing them with her cronies, irregular appointment and promotion of Isa Ali Ibrahim to the rank of Professor, Corruption and called for her resignation as Vice-Chancellor of FUTO and consequently made the following resolutions:
- Denounced in its entirety, the meddlesomeness of ASUU-NEC and ASUU-Owerri Zone in the internal affairs of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
- Affirmed that due process was followed in the appointment and promotion of Prof. Isa Ali Ibrahim (and other FUTO Professors) as provided in the Federal Universities of Technology, ACT, CAP.F 23, Volume 7, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria and the Regulations Governing the Conditions of Appointment of Senior Staff of the University (2016). He therefore enjoys the full privileges and rights of a FUTO Professor.
- Affirmed that the prima facie case for the appointment of Prof. Isa Ibrahim was established and approved by the then University Governing Council prior to the appointment of Prof. (Mrs.) N. N. Oti as the 8th Substantive Vice-Chancellor of FUTO.
- Established that no Executive member of ASUU-FUTO was suspended by Management.
- Condemned in very strong terms, the provocative and unsubstantiated allegation of corruption against the person of Prof. Mrs. Nnenna N. Oti.
- Expressed its profound confidence in the ability of Prof. (Mrs.) Nnenna N. Oti to pilot the affairs of the University and passed a VOTE OF CONFIDENCE on her leadership as the Vice-Chancellor of the University.
- That the Executive of ASUU-FUTO Branch, led by Dr. Chinedu E. Ihejirika should render written and unreserved apologies to the Vice-Chancellor, Council, Senate, Management and FUTO Community at large, for spreading falsehood, and colluding with external forces to embarrass and bring into disrepute the good image of the University.
- Demands that ASUU-Owerri Zone should retract the very offensive press releases and apologize to the Vice-Chancellor of FUTO within two (2) weeks from the date of this publication or the University will be compelled to seek legal redress.
Registrar/Secretary to Senate