Prof. Babington Onyemaechi Esonu
B. Agric. Tech., MSc., PhD
Professor Babington Onyemaechi Esonu was born in Umuabali, Umuopara, in Umuahia South Local Government Area of Abia State, Nigeria. Professor Esonu attended Ezeleke Primary School (1964-1970), Evangel High School, Old Umuahia (1971-1975) and Oboro Secondary School, Umuahia (1976) from where he passed WASCE in Division II in 1976. He proceeded to college of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt and obtained the Ordinary National Diploma (OND) in General Agriculture and Higher National Diploma (HND) in Animal Science in 1978 and 1980 respectively, and joined the NYSC in 1981.
He worked briefly as a Higher Livestock Superintendent with the National Root Crops Research Institute, Umudike, Umuahia from 1982-1984 before proceeding to Federal University of Technology, Owerri where he bagged Bachelor of Agricultural Technology (B. Agric Tech) in Animal Production in 1987 (the pioneer graduating set of SAAT), M.Sc. in Animal Nutrition in 1991 and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D) in Animal Nutrition in 1997. In 1988, young Esonu was appointed Lecturer III in the department of Animal Production, Michael Okpara College of Agriculture, Umuagwo, Imo State (now Imo State Polytechnic) and was promoted to lecturer II in 1992. The same year, he left the services of the college to join the Federal University of Technology, Owerri as an Assistant Lecturer, having obtained his M.Sc. in 1991. He got promoted to the rank of lecturer II in 1994, Lecturer I in 1997, Senior Lecturer in 2000, Associate Professor in 2003 and to the ultimate and enviable rank of professor in 2006; the second FUTO alumnus to be promoted to this rank. From 1992 to date, Professor Esonu has been deeply involved in Teaching, Research and University administration in this premier University of Technology in Nigeria. He served as the School of Agric and Agric Technology SIWES coordinator for six (6) years (1996-2002), appointed Acting Head of Department (2001), Head of Department (2005-2006). Professor Esonu was appointed pioneer University Alumni Relations Officer (2006-2010), University chief examiner (2010-2011), Chairman, University Examination Misconduct Panel (2010-2012), Director, Centre for Agricultural Research (2011-2012), Visiting Professor, Imo State University (2012-2013), Dean, School of Agriculture and Agricultural Technology, FUTO (2015-2017), Chairman, Committee of Deans, FUTO (2016-2017), Acting Vice-Chancellor, FUTO (July 4, -July 6, 2016), Director, University Linkages and Advancement (2020-2023). He is the current Dean, Post Graduate School, FUTO.
He was appointed into the Governing Council of the National Mathematical Centre, Abuja (2005-2007). He was a member of TETFUND Technical Advisory Group (2019-2022) and has served and still serving as External Examiner for Undergraduates and post-graduate programmes/thesis of many Universities till date. Professor Esonu is an active Teacher and Researcher; he has so far produced/co-produced 16 M.Sc., 15 Ph.D. and over 130 undergraduate students. He is currently supervising 12 post graduate students. He has over 120 scientific publications in National and International Journals to his name and has attended over 48 National and International Conferences and Workshops. He has been to Pretoria, South Africa, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Seoul Korea, Germany and the United States of America, all on Research-related trips. He received a commendation letter from the Federal University of Technology, Owerri in 1995 in the area of publications and other productive work. He was a recipient of Dean SAAT, FUTO Roll of Honour in 1986/1987 (Pioneer Graduating set of SAAT), recipient of the Federal Government of Nigeria Post Graduate Award (1990-1991), recipient of FUTO study fellowship award (1992-1996) and a grantee of the International Foundation of Sciences (IFS), Stockholm, Sweden (1994-1997).
Professor Esonu is the first fully bred FUTO Professor, having obtained his B. Agric. Tech, M.Sc. and Ph.D. from this citadel of learning and the second Alumnus of FUTO of distinguished achievement. Professor Esonu is an intellectual of great repute in Animal Science and Livestock Management. He is held in high esteem by his colleagues as a prolific writer, versatile researcher, a good organizer and a manager of men and materials.
He was conferred with a meritorious award of Justice of Peace in the Year 2022.
At the home front, Professor Esonu has superlatively demonstrated that education that is not applied to the uplifting of his people is worthless to the society.
He is a Fellow of Nigerian Society for Animal Production (NSAP), Fellow of Agricultural Society of Nigeria and Fellow, College of Animal Science.
- First School Leaving Certificate (1970)
- West African School Certificate (Division 11, 1976)
- Ordinary National Diploma (OND) (Gen. Agric) (1978)
- Higher National Diploma (HND, Animal science) (1980)
- Agric. Tech (FUTO, 2nd Class Honours, Upper Division (1987)
- Sc (Animal Nutrition) (1991)
- D (Animal Nutrition) (1997)
- Chairman, LOC Owerri 2018, 43rd Annual Conference NSAP, 18th – 22nd March, 2018.
- Fellow, Agricultural Society of Nigeria (FASN) (2013)
- Fellow, Nigeria Society for Animal Production (FNSAP)(2015).
- Fellow, College of Animal Scientists of Nigeria (FCASN) (2016).
- Registered member, Nigerian Institute of Animal Science (NIAS)
- Consultant/Expert, FAO/WHO on Hazards associated with Animal Feeds (2015-Date)
- 14th Inaugural Lecturer, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, titled: Unconventional Feed Resources for Livestock Development and Food Security: paradigms from Nigerian Livestock Industry, delivered on Wednesday, 24th June, 2009
- Recipient, Dean of SAAT, FUTO roll of Honour (1986/87)
- Recipient, Federal Government Post-Graduate Award (1990-1991)
- Recipient, FUTO Study Fellowship Award (1992/93-96)
- Grantee, International Foundation of Sciences (IFS), Stockholm, Sweden (1994-1997)
- Member, Nigeria Society for Animal Production 1991 to date.
- Member, Agricultural Society of Nigeria, 1991 to date.
- Chairman of Scientific Session of NSAP Conference (1997).
- Rapporteur of Scientific Session NSAP Conference (1997).
- Member, African Network for Rural Development (1997 to 2006).
- Member, New York Academy of Sciences (1998 to 2005).
- Reviewer of Manuscripts for Journal Publication: Nigeria Journal Animal Production, Delta Agriculturist, Journal of Sustainable Agric & Environment, International Journal of Agric and Rural Dev. (IJARD)
- Member, Animal Science Association of Nigeria (ASAN) 1998 – date)
- Member, Poultry Association of Nigeria (Pan) (2000 – date).
- Member, Resolution Drafting Committee, Agric. Society of Nigeria (ASN) (2001).
- Member, World Poultry Science Association (2000 – date).
- Member, LOC, 36th Annual Conference Agric. Society of Nigeria (2002).
- Council Member, Agricultural Society of Nigeria (2002 to date).
- Member, Resolution Drafting Committee, Nig. Soc. Anim. Prod. Conference (2002).
- Member, American Society of Animal Science (ASAS) (2004 to date).
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Technical Education in Nigeria (JOTEN) (2003 – date).
- Chairman, Scientific Session ASAN, Abakaliki, 2004.
- Member, Editorial Board, Int. Journal of Agric. & Rural Dev. (IJARD) (2003 – date).
- Secretary-General, Agric. Society of Nigeria (ASN) (2006 – 2010).
- Registered Member, Nigerian Institute of Animal Science (NIAS) (RAS No.: 0099).
Courses Assigned to Teach
- Farm Practice II (AGR201)
- (AST 302)
- Elements of Animal Production (AST304)
- Feeds & Feeding II (AST 403)
- Swine Production (AST 505)
- Cattle Production (AST 504)
- Animal Nutrition (AST 506)
- Sheep & Goat Production (AST 507)
- Advanced Non-Ruminant Nutrition (AST 602)
- Advanced Mineral & Vitamin Metabolism (AST 623)
- Advanced Ruminant Nutrition (AST 603)
- Advanced Protein & Energy Metabolism (AST 622)
- Analytical Chemistry (AST 619)
- Advanced Pasture Management (AST 604)
- Feedstuffs (AST 614)
- Taught several courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Successfully supervised 18 M.sc and 15 Ph.D research students, plus scores of undergraduate students.(1992-Date)
- Have over 134 publications including 119 Peer reviewed articles in Local and International Journals and 15 Technical papers.
- Have attended over 57 National and 8 International Conferences/Workshops
- Have been to South Africa, Seoul South, Korea, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, United Kingdom, Ghana and United States of America (USA) on research related trips.
- Belonged to over 9 Learned/Professional Societies, Fellow in 3-Fellow, Agricultural Society of Nigeria (FASN), Fellow, Nigeria Society for Animal Production (FNSAP) and Fellow, College of Animal Scientists of Nigeria (FCASN).
- Served as External Examiner to several Universities
- Served/still serving as External Assessor of many candidates for Professorial positions in many Universities.
- Internationally recognized for research work on novel legumes.
- Visiting Professor at IMSU (2012- 2013) and ABSU (2019-2020).
My major research area of interest is in the area of monogastric animal nutrition with a bias in Poultry, Pigs and Rabbit nutrition. In this major area are studies on nutrient metabolism, development of alternative or unconventional feed resources and digestibility of feed ingredients and utilization of nutrients, interrelationship and determination of optimal nutrient levels for various classes of monogastric animal diets.
- Udedibie, A.B.I., Esonu, B.O. and Ngoka, D.A. (1988). Poultry Offal Meal as a protein supplement for grower pigs. Nigeria Journal of Animal Production. 14:108 – 111.
- Esonu, B.O. and Udedibie, A.B.I. (1993). The effect of replacing maize with cassava peel meal on the performance of weaner rabbits. Nigerian Journal of Animal Production. 20:81 – 85.
- Udedibie, A.B.I., Esonu, B.O., Obaji, C.N. and Durunna, C.S. (1994). Dry Urea Treatment prior to toasting as a method for improving the nutritive value of the Jackbean (Canavalia ensiromis) for broiler. Animal Feed Technology. 48:335 – 345.
- Esonu, B.O. (1996). The Nutritive Value of sun dried palm oil sludge (SDPOS) as energy supplement for broiler birds. Indian Journal of Animal Science. 66(4): 389 – 392.
- Esonu, B.O. (1995). Replacement value of sun dried palm oil sludge for maize in turkey poultry diets (0 – 8 wks). Delta Agriculturist 2:83 – 90.
- Udedibie, A.B.I., Esonu, B.O., Unachukwu, C. and Iwuoha, N.C. (1996). Two-stage cooking as a method of improving the nutritive value of Jackbean ( ensiformis) for broilers. Nigeria Journal Animal Production 23 (2): 107 – 110.
- Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I. and Ukorebi, B.A. (1996). Preliminary observation of the effect of two-stage cooking prior to microbial fermentation on the nutritive value of Jackbean (Canavalia ensiformis) for broiler birds. AMBIO 25 : 8, 537.
- Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I., Herbert, U. and Odey, J.O. (1996). Comparative evaluation of raw and cooked jackbean (Canavalia ensiformis) on performance of weaner rabbits. J. World Rabbit Science 4(3): 139 – 141.
- Esonu, B.O. (1997). Substitution value of a mixture of rice mill by-products for maize in diets of weaner rabbits. Nigeria Journal Animal Production. 24(2): 143 – 146.
- Esonu, B.O., Uzoma, R.A. and Egenuka, S.A. (1997). Evaluation of graded levels of Dried Poultry waste in weaner rabbit diet. Journal of Science & Technology. 3: 23 – 26.
- Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I. and Herbert, U. (1997). Nutritional evaluation of raw jackbeans (Canavalia ensiformis) for weaner rabbits. Delta Agric 4: 18- 24.
- Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I. and Okpudo, U.T. (1997). Effect of sprouting and boiling on the Nutritive value of jackbean ( ensiformis) for broiler finisher. Applied Tropical Agriculture. 2: 31 – 35.
- Esonu, B.O., Etuk, E.B. and Ezeigbo, C.C. (1997). Determination of Optimal Dietary level of Soybean hull for broilers. JOTEN 2 (1 & 2): 76 – 82.
- Esonu, B.O., Alo, K. and Anyanwu, G.A. (1997). Efficacy of synthetic papain as method of improving the nutritive value of jackbean for broiler finisher. Nigeria Journal of Agric. Teacher Education. 6 (1 & 2): 155 – 160.
- Esonu, B.O., Okonkwo, B.U. (1998). Evaluation of Nutritive Value of raw velvet bean (Mucuna pruriens) for weaner rabbits. JOTEN. 3 (2): 101 –104.
- Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I. and Carlini, C.R. (1998). The effect of toasting, dry urea treatment and sprouting on some thermostable toxic factors in the jackbean seed. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. Vol. 25(1) 36 – 39.
- Esonu, O. (1998). Performance and internal organ characteristics of weaned rabbits fed graded levels of dietary soybean hulls. JOTEN. Vol. 3, No. 1, 28 – 33.
- Esonu, B.O, Anumni, P., Obioma, K. and Eneremadu, O.F. (1999). Evaluation of combinations of maize/sorghum based Brewer’s grain, cocoyam corms and cassava root meals as substitute for maize in broiler finisher diets. Indian Journal of Animal Science. 69(2): 129 – 130.
- Esonu, B.O. (1999). Evaluation of graded levels of maize/sorghum-based brewers’ dried grain as substitute for maize on the performance and carcass characteristics of broiler birds. ATA 4(1): 1 – 6.
- Esonu, B.O. and Nwoko, C.N. (1999). Replacement value of Snail offal for fish meal in broiler diets. JSAE 1: 138 – 142.
- Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I. and Carlini, C.R. (1999). Effect of sprouting on the nutritive value of Jackbean ( ensiformis) for finisher broilers. JSAE 1: 143 – 149.
- Esonu, B.O. (1999). Effect of crude papain on the nutritive value of raw, toasted and cooked Jackbean for broiler finisher. Tropical Journal of Animal Science. 2(2): 67 – 72.
- Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I.; Kubiri, V.I., Azubuike, C., Emenalom, O.O. and Uchegbu, M.C. (1999). Evaluation of combination of different processing methods on the nutritive value of Jackbean meal for broiler starters. Delta. Agric. 6: 200 – 205.
- Esonu, B.O., E. Iwu, C.C. Opara and A.M. Bamgbose. (2000). Evaluation of partial replacement of maize with cooked wild variegated cocoyam corm meal (Caladium hortulanum) in broiler starter diet. Top. J. Animal Sci. 3(1): 85 – 89.
- Esonu, B.O. and Okparaji, P.J., Anyanwu, G.A. and Emenalom, O.O. (2000). Evaluation of raw wild aerial yam bulbils ( bulbifera) as energy source for broiler chicks. Nigeria. Agric. J. 31 – 38.
- Esonu, B.O. and A.M. Bamgbose (2000). Evaluation of the nutritive value of wild raw variegated cocoyam corm meal (Caladium hortulanum) for broiler chicken. NPSJ Vol. 1: 42 – 51.
- Esonu, B.O. (2000). Effect of dietary cooked wild variegated cocoyam (Caladium-hortulanum) on the performance of broiler chicks. Trop. Agic. (Trinidad) 77(4): 269 – 271.
- Esonu, B.O., B.I. Udedibie, O.T. Oguntuase, and U.K. Nduaka (2000). Effects of Trona Treatment on the feeding value of Jackbeans for broiler birds. Agro Science. 1(2): 14 – 18.
- Udedibie, A.B.I., Esonu, B.O. and Agbabiaka, L.A. (2000). Comparative performance of broilers fed diets containing differently processed Jackbean meals. NPSJ. Vol. 1: 32 – 41.
- Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I. and Imo, O.I. (2001). Nutritive value of Jackbean: Effect of ferrous sulphate on heat treated Jackbean meal for broiler chicks. Trop. Anim. Prod. Invest. 4: 177 – 183.
- Esonu, B.O. (2001). Comparative evaluation of raw and urea/toasted velvet bean (Mucuna pruriens) for broiler chicks. Nigeria Journal of Animal Production. 28(1): 40 – 44.
- Esonu, B.O., Emenalom, O.O., Udedibie, A.B.I., Herbert, U., Ekpor, C.F., Okoli, I.C. and Iheukwumere, F.C. (2001). Performance and Blood Chemistry of weaner pigs fed raw Mucuna bean (velvet bean) meal. Trop. Anim. Prod. Invest. 4 : 49 – 54.
- Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I. and Okah, U. (2001). Determination of the optimal dietary inclusion(s) of “cracked and cooked” (CAC) Jackbean meal for starter broilers. Int. J. Agric. Rural Dev. 2: 78 – 82.
- Iheukwumere, F.C., Esonu, B.O., Amaefule, K. and Nwokoro, C. (2001). Performance, blood chemistry and organ characteristics of weaner rabbits fed raw pigeon pea seed meal. Inter-world Journal of Science and Technology 1(2): 236 – 241.
- Onu, P.N., Madubuike, F.N., Esonu, B.O. and Onu, D.O. (2001). The effect of wild cocoyam (Caladium bicolor) on the performance and internal organ weights of finisher broilers. Journal of the science of Agriculture, Food Technology and the Environment 1:19 – 23.
- Okoli, I.C., Ebere, C.S., Emenalom, O.O., Uchegbu, M.C. and Esonu, B.O. (2001). Indigenous Livestock production paradigms revisited 111: An assessment of the proximate values of most preferred indigenous browses of South Eastern Nigeria. Trop. Anim Prod. Invest. 4: 99 – 107.
- Esonu, B. O., Uchegbu, M.C. and Nwokennaya, J.C. (2001). Nutritional evaluation of cooked wild aerial yam bulbils ( bulbifera) for finisher broilers. JASR. 1(1) 54 – 61.
- Udedibie, A.B.I., Esonu, B.O. and Okah, U. (2002). Determination of the Optimal dietary inclusion(s) of cracked and cooked (CAC) Jackbean meal for finisher broilers. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 29 (2): 176 – 180.
- Esonu, B.O. (2002). Preliminary observations on the use of toad meal (TM) as protein supplement in broiler starter diets. Int. J. Agric. Rural Dev. 3:87 – 91.
- Esonu, B.O., Iheukwumere, F.C., Emenalom, O.O., Uchegbu, M.C. and Etuk, E.B. (2002). Performance, Nutrient utilization and organ characteristics of broiler finishers fed Microdesmis puberula leaf meal. Livestock Research for Rural Development. 14(6) 15. (http://www.cipav.org.co/lrrd14/6/eson146.htm.)
- Anyanwu, G.A., Esonu, B.O., Iwuala, Okorie, K., E.B. Etuk (2003). Bambara groundnut (voandzeia subterranean(L) thouars) offal as partial substitute for maize in broiler diets. Trop. Anim. Prod. Invest. 6:55-61.
- Esonu, B.O., Iheuwkumere, F.C., Iwuji, T.C., Akanu, N. and Nwugo, O.H. (2003). Evaluation of Microdesmis puberula leaf meal as feed ingredient in broiler starter diets. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 30(1): 3-8.
- Esonu, B.O. Azubuike, J.C and Ukwu, H.O. (2004). Evaluation of Microdesmis puberula leaf meal as Feed ingredient in Laying Hen Diets. International Journal of Poultry Science 3(2) :96-99..
- Esonu, B.O., Azubuike, J.C, Emenalom, O.O; Etuk, E.B., Okoli, I.C, Ukwu, H. and Nneji, C.S. (2004). Effect of Enzyme Supplementation on the performance of Broiler Finisher Fed Microdesmis Puberula Leaf Meal . International Journal of Poultry Science 3(2):112-114.
- Emenalom, O.O, Udedibie, A.B. I, Esonu, B.O., Etuk, E.B. and Emenike, H.I. (2004). Evaluation of unprocessed and cracked, soaked and cooked velvet beans (Mucuna pruriens) as feed ingredients for pigs. Livestock Research for Rural Development. 16(5) 2004. (http://www.cipav.org.co/lrrd 16/5/enem16033.htm).
- Uchegbu, M.C., Okoli, I.C., Anyanwu, C.E., Etuk, E.B., Esonu, B.O. and Udedibie, A.B.I. (2004). Performance, carcass and organ characteristics of finisher broiler fed graded levels of raw Napoleona imperialis seed meal. Livestock Research for Rural Development. 16. http://www.cipav.org.co/lrrd/lrrd16/6/uche16401.htm.
- Iheukwumere, F.C., Esonu, B.O. and Ogbuji, L.A. (2004). Effects of quantitative feed restriction on the performance, carcass, organ weight and meat quality of broiler finisher birds. Nig. Agric. Journal. 35 (2004) 127 – 133.
- Esonu, B.O., Izukanne, R.O. and Inyang, O.A. (2005). Evaluation of cellulytic enzyme supplementation of production indices and nutrient utilization of laying hen fed soybean hull based diets. Int. J. Poultry, Sci. 4(4): 213 – 216.
- Emenalom, O.O., Udedibie, A.B.I., Esonu, B.O. and Etuk E.B. (2005). Evaluation of processed velvet bean (Mucuna pruiens) as a feed ingredient in starter diets for broiler chickens. Journal of poultry science. Vol. 42, No. 4: 301 – 307.
- Etuk, E.B, Opara, C., Uchegbu, M.C., Emenalom, O.O. and Esonu, B.O. (2005). Evaluation of raw and cooked pigeon pea seed meal as feed ingredient for weaner pigs. Bull of Anim. Prod. Afr. 53, 125 – 129.
- Iheukwumere, F.C., Okoli, I.C., Anyanwu, G.A. and Esonu, B.O. (2005). Growth performance, Hematological and Serum Biochemical Constituents of Grower Rabbits fed Microdesmis Puberula. Hook – Euphorbiacease. Animal Production Research Advances 1(1): 24 – 31.
- Esonu, B.O., Emenalom, O.O., Udedibie, A.B.I., Anyannwu, A, Madu, U, and Inyang, A.O. (2005). Evaluation of Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf meal on performance, carcass characteristics and egg quality of laying hens. Int. J. Agric. Rural Dev. 6: 208 – 212.
- Etuk, E.B., Esonu, B.O. and Njoku, C. (2006). Effect of methionine supplementation on the performance of finisher broilers fed pigeon pea seed meal based diet. Trop. J. Anim. Sci. Vol. 7 No. 2 : 37 – 42.
- Esonu, B.O., Izukanne, R.O., Emenalom, O.O., Etuk, E.B., Inyang, O.A., Samuel, S., Ezeoke, F., and Mere, B. (2006). Evaluation and economics of enzyme supplementation on the performance of broiler finishers fed soybean hull based diets. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 33 (2): 216 – 221.
- Agbabiaka, L.A., Odoemenam, S.A. and Esonu, B.O. (2006): Preliminary investigations on the potentials of wild variegated cocoyam (Caladium hortulanum) as replacement for maize in diets of catfish (Heterobranchus bidorsalic) fingerlings. IJARD 7: 138-142.
- Esonu, B.O, Opara, M.N., Okoli, I.C., Obikaonu, H.O., Udedibie, C. and Iheshiulor, O.O.M. (2006). Physiological Response of laying birds to Neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf meal based diets. Bodu weight, organ characteristics and Haematology.http://www.ojhas.org/issue18/2006-2-4.htm
- Agbabiaka, L., Okereke, F.O. and Esonu, B.O. (2006): Effect of Trona treated jackbean on growth performance are nutrient utilization of catfish (Heterobranchus bidorsalis) fingerlings. International journal of Agric and Rural Development (IJARD). 7(2): 107 – 111.
- B. Etuk, O.N. Abaoja and B.O. Esonu (2007). Raw Pigeon seed meal in Weaner Rabbit Diet: Effect of Methionine supplementation. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 34(2): 241 – 246.
- Esonu, B., Ogbonna, U.D., Anyanwu, G.A., Emenalom, O.O, Uchegbu, M.C., Etuk, E.B. and Udedibie, A.B.I (2007). Evaluation of performance, organ characteristics and Economic Analysis of Broiler Finisher Fed Dried rumen Digesta. Int. J. Poult. Sci (IJPS) 5(12): 1116 – 1118.
- Anyanwu, D.C., Udedibie, A.B.I., Osuigwe, E.I. and Esonu, B.O. (2007): Growth and Nutrient Utilization of Heteroclarias (H. bidorsalis X C. gariepinus) fed dietary levels of Carica papaya leaf meal. J.Agric, forestry & social sci. Vol 5 No 2.
- Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I., Emenalom, O.O., Madumere, C.C. and Uchegbu, O.A. (2008): Evaluator of Oil Palm (Elaesis guinensis) leaf meal as feed ingredients in broiler diets Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 35(1) 32 – 39
- Esonu, B.O., Azubuike, J.C., Okoro, G.U. and Uba, C.C. (2007). Nutritional value of fermented Bovine blood and Rumen Digesta for broiler birds. Nig. Agric. J. Vol. 38, 117 – 124.
- Esonu, B.O., Nnaemeka, A.A., Azubuike, J.C., Uchegbu, M.C. and Ezeokeke, C.T. (2007). Performance and Economic Analysis of Broiler Starter Fed Dried Rumen Digesta. IJARD. Vol.9: 77 – 79.
- Onweremadu, E., Asiabaka, C.C., Anyanwu, C.P., Anyanwu, G.A., Etuk, E.B. and Esonu, B.O. (2007). Survey of Animal Manure Production, Management, Use and Effect on a Degraded Kandludult. Int. J. Agric Res. 2(1) 929 – 936
- Anyanwu, D.C., Udedibie, A.B.I., Osuigwe, E.I. and Esonu, B.O. (2008): Growth and nutrient utilization of heteroclarias (H. bidorsalis X C. gariepinus) fed dietary levels of Alchornia cordifolia leaf meal. J.Agric & social research (JASR). Vol 8 No 2
- Emenalom, O., Udedibie, A.B.I., Esonu, B.O. and Okeudo, N.J. (2008). Effect of cracked-soaked velvet beans (Mucuna pruriens) on the performance and organ characteristics of finisher broilers, Niger. Agric. J. vol. 39, 131 – 136.
- Ezeokeke, C., Okpogode, O.S., Okoli, I.C. and Esonu, B.O. (2008). Growth performance of broilers fed palm oil treated diets supplemented with vitamin E. Animal Prod. Res. Advances, 4 (1) 78 – 81.
- O. Emenalom, A.B.I. Udedibie, J.N. Okeudo and B.O. Esonu (2008): Evaluation of processed velvet beans (Mucuna pruriens) meal in the diet of laying hens. Bull. Anim. Hlth. Prod. Afr., 56, 335 – 343.
- Esonu, B.O., Emenalom, O.O., Azubuike, J.C, Abara, S.F, Okata, E, Etuk, E.B, Uchegbu, M.C, Oguoma, N.N.O, and Ayo-Enwerem, C.N (2009). Evaluation of performance, egg quality and economic analysis of laying hens fed dried rumen digesta. IJARD 12(2) 10-15.
- Uchegbu, M.C., Igbokwe, N.O., Omede, A.A., Ekwuagana, I.C., Okoli, I.C. and Esonu, B.O. (2009). Performance Evaluation of some commercial broiler finisher rations sold in Nigeria. Int. J. Poult. Sci. (IJPS), 8(12): 1162-1164.
- Emenalom, O.O., Esonu, B.O., Etuk, E.B., and Anaba, C. (2009): Effect of Mucuna Pruriens (velvet bean) leaf meal on performance and blood composition of finisher broiler chickens. Nig. J. Amin. Prod. 36 (1): 52 – 60.
- Martins Chukwudi Uchegbu., Udo Herbert., Ifeanyi Princewill Ogbuewu., Chibuzo Hope Nwaodu, Babington Onyemaechi Esonu., Adive Boniface Ikeli Udedibie (2010). Performance and egg quality characteristics of layers fed diets containing combinations of Brewer’s Dried Grains, Jackbean and Cassava root meal. Report and opinion. 2(1) 33-37.
- U. O. Onyeagocha., N.C. Ehirim; C.E. Emenyonu., C.S. Onyemauwa., F.O. Nwosu., D. O. Ohajianya., C.C. Eze., G.A. Anyanwu., N.N.O. Oguoma and B. O. Esonu (2010) Post-Avian Flu Profitability and Resource Use Efficiency of Broiler Farmers in Akwa Ibom State, South-South, Nigeria. Agricultural Journal. 5(2).
- Iheshiulor, O.O.M., Esonu, B.O., Udedibie C.A., Chukwuka, O.K. and Ayo-Enwerem, C.M. (2010). Performance, internal egg characteristics and Haematology of laying birds fed safzyme supplementd soybean hull diet. Report and Opinion 2(3) http//www.sciencepub.net/report.
- Emenalom,O.O, Etuk, B., Esonu, B.O and Nwaiwu,L.C (2010): Phytochemical and nutritional evaluation of raw and fermented Alchornea cordifolia seed meal on the performance of broiler chicks. Nig. J.Anim. Prod. 38(1):79-85.
- Chukwuka, O.K., Udedibie, A.B.I., Okeudo, N.J., Aladi, N.O., Esonu, B.O., Iheshiulor, O.O.M, and Omede, A.A. (2010) Growth Parameters, Carcass Characteristics and Meat Quality of Broilers fed mixture of sun-dried Cassava tuber meal, dried brewers’ grains and palm oil. Opinion Report., 2(3), 104-110.
- O.M. Iheshiulor., B. O. Esonu., O. K. Chukwuka., A.A. Omede., I.C. Okoli and I. P. Ogbuewu (2011). Effects of Mycotoxins in Animal Nutrition: A Review. Asian Journal of Animal Sciences. 5(1): 19 – 33.
- A. Agbabiaka, B.O. Esonu and F.N. Madubuike (2011): Effects of processing on Nutrients and Anti – Nutrients of castor oil bean (Ricinus Communis) seeds and by – products. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 10 (6): 561 – 563.
- Esonu, B.O., Azubuike, J.C., Udedibie, A.B.I., Emenalom, O.O., Iwuji, T.C. and Odoemenam, V (2011): Evaluation of the nutritive value of mixture of fermented Bovine Blood and Rumen Digesta for Boiler Finisher. Journal of Natural Sciences research. Vol. 1 no. 4, 1 – 8.
- Ukorebi B.A., Udedibie A.B.I., Esonu B.O., Okoli I.C. and Essien, A. (2011) In Vitro Evaluation of Antibacterial Activity of Congronema latifolium (UTASI). Journal of Agric, Forestry & Social Science. Vol 9, no.2 : 258 – 264
- Esonu, B.O., Azubuike, J.C., Udedibie, A.B.I., Iwuji, T.C., Etuk, E.B and Anyanwu, G.A. (2012): Evaluation of fermented Bovine Blood and Rumen Digetsa meal for laying Birds. Nig. Agric. J. Vol 44.(nos 1 &2 ). 56-63
- Esonu, B.O., Azubuike, J.C., Udedibie, A.B.I., Opara M.N and Iwuji, T.C. (2012): Physiological evaluation of Broiler Finishers fed fermented Bovine Blood and Rumen Digesta Meal. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. 39 (2) 107-113
- Esonu, B.O., Azubuike, J.C., Udedibie, A.B.I., Iloeje, M.U and Iwuji, T.C. (2012): Performance and Economic Analysis of Broiler Chicks fed mixture of fermented Bovine Blood and Rumen Digetsa IJARD Vol 15 (1): 927 – 931
- Etuk, E.B., Ifeduba, A.V., Okata, U.E., Chiaka, I., Okoli, Ifeanyi C., Okeudo, N.J., Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I., and Moreki, J.C. (2012): Nutrient Composition and Feeding Value of Sorghum for Livestock and Poultry: A review J. Anim Sci Adv, 2 (6): 510 – 524
- Etuk, E.B., Okeudo, N.J., Esonu, B.O., Udedibie, A.B.I., (2012): Antinutritional Factors in Sorghum: Chemistry, mode of action and effects on livestock and poultry.online J. Amin and Feed Research 2(2): 113:119.
- Ukorebi B.A., Udedibie A.B.I., Esonu B.O., Okoli I.C Akpet, S.O. and Orok E.E. (2012): Performance, carcass and organ characteristics of Grower Rabbits fed diets containing graded levels of congronema latifolium leaf meal. Journal of Agric, Forestry and social sciences. Vol.10 no 1. 274 – 281
- B. Etuk, M.N. Opara, N.J. Okeudo, B.O. Esonu and A.B.I. Udedibie (2012): Haematological and Serum Biochemical parameters of local Turkey poults Fed Diets containing two varieties of sorghum J. World’s poult. Res. 2 (4): 81 – 89.
- A. Agbabiaka, F.N. Madubuike and B.O. Esonu (2012): Performance, Carcass and Organ weights characteristic of Broiler Finisher Fed varying levels of Tigernut (cyperus esculents L) meal as dietary supplement. British Journal of Poultry Sciences 1 (2): 11 – 17.
- Etuk, E.B., Udegbunam, C., Aladi, N.O., Emenalom, O.O and Esonu, B.O (2012):Effects of partial replacement of maize with 2:1:1 combination of plantain peels, yam peels and palm kernel cake in broiler starter diet. Revista Centifica UDO Agricola 12 (3): 649-652.
- Anyaegbu, B. C., Esonu, B. O and Uchegbu, M. C (2012): Use of fermented cassava, palm kernel cake and dried brewers’ grains to produce maize free low cost diets for young growing pigs. International journal of Agriculture and Rural Development (IJARD). Vol. 15(3): 1230-1234 www.ijard.com.
- Esonu, B.O., Anumni, P.E., Udedibie, A.B.I., Emenalom, O.O., Odoemelam, V and Okorie, K.C. (2013): Evaluation of two – stage cooked canavalia plagisperma (piper) seed meal as feed ingredient in layer diets. Nigerian.J.Anim.Sci.Vol.15:95-103
- B. Etuk, B. Anopueme, I.F. Etuk, J.S. Ekpo, O.O. Emenalom and B.O. Esonu (2013). Effect of different combination levels of Palm Kernel cake, yam peel and plantain peel meals as partial replacement for maize in broiler starter diet. Nig. J. Amin. Prod 40 (1): 73 – 78.
- A. Agbabiaka, F.N. Madubuike, B.U. Ekenyem and B.O. Esonu (2013): Effect of feeding different levels of Tigernut (cyperus esculentus L) meal on growth broiler chicks. American Journal of Experimental Agriculture 3(4): 996-1004.
- A. Agbabiaka, F.N. Madubuike, B.U. Ekenyem and B.O. Esonu (2013): Effect of tigernut based diets on haematology and serum biochemistry of broiler finisher. Agriculture and Biology Journal of North America. 4 (3) 186 – 191 htt//www.scihub.org/ABJNA.
- Enyenihi, E., Esiegwu, A.C.,Esonu, B.O., Uchegbu, M.C. and Udedibie, A.B.I. (2013); Gelatilization of fermented cassava tuber meal and its nutritive value or broilers. Nig.J.Anim. Prod .40(2):71-79.
- Esonu, O, Ozeudu, E., Emenalom, O.O.,Nnaji, C and Onyeikegbulam,I.K (2014):Nutritional value of sandbox (Hura crepitans) seed meal for broiler finisher birds.Journal of Natural Sciencs Research. Vol. 4, No. 23, 95-99 .
- Esonu, B.O., Agbabiaka, L.A and Osegbue, A.I. (2014): Performance of broiler starter fed graded levels of enzyme supplemented dried rumen digesta. Tropical Agric. (Trinidad) 91, no.4, 241-247.
- C. Anyaegbu., B. O.Esonu., M. C.Uchegbu and A. B. I. Udedibie (2014): Use of fermented Cassava, Palm Kernel cake and dried Brewers”grains to produce maize-free low-cost diets for laying hens. J. Agric. Sci. Env. 14:42-49.
- Esonu, B.O., Agbabiaka, L.A and Osegbue, A.I. (2014): Efficacy of Enzyme supplementation of dried rumen digesta for broiler finisher production. Tropical Agric (Trinidad) 91, no.4, 248-255.
- Ozeudu, E., Esonu, B. O. and Emenalom, O.O (2015): Performance of Starting broiler chicks on Sandbox (Hura Crepitans) seed meal. Nig. J. Anim.Prod. 42 (1): 79-84.
- Etuk, E. Bassey., Ugwu, Chidozie Clifford., N.James., Esonu, Babington Onyemaechi., Udedibe,Adive Boniface Ikeli (2015): Haematology and Serum chemistry of Local Grower Turkeys fed Diets Containing Samsorg 17 and ICSV 400 Varieties of Sorghum. J. Worlds’ poult.Res.5 (1): 01-09
- Esonu, B.O., Okeudo, N. J., Udedibie, A.B.I., Chiaka,I., Odoemelam,V and Chukwu, A (2015): Chemical and Nutritional Evaluation of Moringa Oleifera leaf meal for broiler birds. Int. J. Agric & Rural Devt (IJARD). Vol. 18(2):2183-2188.
- Esonu, B.O., Okeudo,N.J., Maduewesi, B and Chiaka, I. (2015): Evaluation of production indices of laying hens fed Moringa Oleifera leaf meal based diet.Int.J.Agric & Rural Devt (IJARD). Vol 19 (1): 2590-2593.
- B.O., Izukanne, R.O., Udedibie, A.B.I and Okeudo, N.J (2015): Nutritional evaluation of differently processed piper (Canavalia Plagiospermer) Seed meal(CPSM) in starter broiler diet. NJAP. Vol 42 (2):122-128.
- Obionwu, D.C., Esonu, B.O., Etuk, E.B., Adebanjo, A.S and Eze, B.O (2017): Evaluation of graded levels of Raw and cooked Turmeric Rhizome (curcuma longa) meal on performance of starter Brioler Chicks. Nig J. Anim. Prod. Vol 44 (3), 202 – 209.
- Esonu, B.O., Obionwu, D.C., Emenalom, O.O, Eze.,O and Adebayo., A.S (2017); Comparative evaluation of raw and cooked turmeric rhizome (curcuma longa) meal on performance of finisher broiler chickens. FUTO Journal series (FUTO JNLS 2017, Vol 3, Issue 2, pp 1- 8.
- Esonu, B.O., Obionwu, D.C, and Okoli, I.C (2017): Hematological and serum biochemistry of finisher broilers fed raw and cooked turmeric (curcuma longa) Int’l journal of Agric and Rural Dev (IJARD), vol. 20(1):2926 – 2932.
- O. Esonu., R.O. Izukanne ., A.B.I. Udedibie and N.J Okeudo (2018); Response of broiler finisher birds to differently processed canavalia plagiosperma seed meal diet. FUTO journal series (FUTO JNLS 2018, Vol. 4, issue 1, pp 368-375.)
- Esonu, B.O; Ozeudu, E; Uchegbu, M.C and Udedibie, A.B.I (2020): Evaluation of cooked sandbox (undecanted) seed meal (Hura Crepitan) as Alternative protein source in broiler diets. International journal of Agriculture and Rural Development (IJARD). Vol 23(1): 4724-4727.
- Ogbonna,U.D; Esonu, B.O; Anyanwu,G.A and Ukpabi,U.H (2020): Evaluation of Jatropha Curcas Leaf Meal on Relative Organ Characteristics and Haematological Indices of Broiler Finisher Birds. Int. J.Agric & Rural Dev (IJARD) Vol 23(1): 5013-5017.
- Ozeudu, E; Esonu, B. O; Uchegbu, M. C and Udedibie, A. B. I (2019): Replacement value of raw sandbox (undecanted) seed meal for soyabean meal in Broiler Starter diets. FUTO journal Series (In press).
- Esonu,B.O; Uchegbu, M.C; Onwukwe, C.V; Eze, B and Okonkwo, A(2020): Replacement Value of Cassia Tora seed Meal for Maize in Broiler Starter Diets. Nig. J. Anim. Sci (NJAS). Vol. 22(2): 271-276
- Ozeudu, E; Esonu,B.O.; Udedibie, A.B.I; Ojike, F.C; Uchegbu; M.C; Emenalom, O.O and Chibuike, C.E.(2020): Substitution Value of Cooked Sandbox (Hura Crepitans) Seed Meal for Soybean Meal in Layers Diets. Nigeria Agricultural Journal (NAJ) Vol. 51, no 2: 293-297.
- Esonu,B.O; Ogbonna,U.D; Anyanwu,G.A; Ukpabi,U.H; Azubuike,F.C and Odoemelam,V (2020): Chemical and Nutritive Evaluation of Jatropha Curcas Leaf Meal in Broiler Diets. Nig. J. Anim. Prod. Vol(4) 176-183.
- Esonu, B. O.; Ozeudu, E; Uchegbu, M. C; Chibuike, C. F and Ojike, F. C (2020): Evaluation of Partial Substitution of Soybean Meal with Raw Sandbox (Hura Crepitans) Seed Meal in Laying hen diets. Tropical Animal Production Investigation (TAPI) Vol 23(1) : 17-21.
Research Gate Profile URL:
Google Scholar Page URL: