Prof. Chidi Donatus Okereke
Chidi Donatus Okereke a native of Umuchoke Umunumo in Ehime Mbano local government area of Imo State Nigeria embraced love for nature, dexterity and culture early in life. As a primary school pupil he was exposed to handicraft and simple technology of making compost manure.
Despite the setback of the civil war between Nigeria and Biafra (1967 -1970), he went successfully through the crucible of secondary, post secondary and university education with strong grounding in the sciences.
Before entering Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria in 1977, Chidi Donatus Okereke had taught at Aquinas Secondary School Osu as a tutor in 1976 with Higher School Certificate obtained at Federal Government College, Port Harcourt. He graduated from ABU Zaria in 1980 with First Class degree in Agric. Engineering (Soil & Water Engineering) and did his National Youth Services Corps (NYSC) at Upper Benue River Basin Development Authority Yola before joining the services of FUTO in 1981 as Assistant lecturer.
Chidi Donatus Okereke also holds M.Sc. Water Resources Technology, Civil Engineering of the University of Birmingham UK 1983 and PhD Public Health Engineering, Civil Engineering of Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO) 2002.
He is a COREN Registered Engineer R4747 Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria 1991 and a Fellow Nigerian Environmental Society (FNES).
His research works span across areas of Biowaste and biomass to energy, water quality control, climate, environmental pollution control, soil conservation and R&D of devices/technologies in Environmental Engineering/Water resources. He has many publications and patent to his credit.
Chidi Donatus Okereke rose to the rank of full professor (Professor of Environmental Engineering) in 2003.
As a university teacher, he taught and supervised projects/research of many undergraduate and postgraduate students some of who are gainfully serving society in various capacities as PhD holders, Professors and in top echelon of their chosen areas of human endeavour.
He held positions such as
- Head of Department, Environmental Technology, FUTO (1998-2001; 2005-2006)
- Director of Office for University Development (OUD) (2006-2008)
- Director, Central Instruments Equipment Centre FUTO (2017- 2021)
- Dean, Postgraduate School FUTO (2008-2012)
- Chairman, NUC Accreditation Environmental Science ‘A’ in Northern Zone, team for ATBU (2010)
- National Member, Tetfund R&D Standing Committee
- External Examiner to a number of universities in Nigeria.
Prof Chidi Donatus Okereke was Visiting Academic/Professor to CUTEC and an alumnus of DAAD Germany. He is married to Dr Mrs Stella Ngozi Okereke and their marriage is blessed with 5 children.
B.Eng. (First Class) Agric. Eng., Soil & Water Engineering ABU, Zaria (1980)
M.Sc. Water Resources Engineering, Civil Engineering University of Birmingham, United Kingdom (1983)
PhD Public Health Engineering, Civil Eng. FUTO, Owerri, Nigeria (2002)
- Grantee, International Research Grant from International Foundation for Science (IFS) Sweden 1989
- FUTO Research Grants
- COREN Registered Engineer R4747 Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria
- Fellow, Nigerian Environmental Society (FNES)
Courses Assigned to Teach
- Biowaste & Biomass to energy technology
- Climate change: Carbon sequestration research
- Water Resources
- Environmental pollution control and Public Health Engineering studies
>>Surface water and groundwater quality control technology
>>Septic tanks & wastewater treatment and disposal technology
- Control of ground surface soil erosion by water
- Research and Development of devices /technologies in Env. Eng/Water Resources
- M.Sc. THESIS 1983
- PhD THESIS. Okereke C.D. 2000. PhD Thesis on Performance of 3-Compartment Septic Tank, submitted for Doctor of Philosophy in Public Health Engineering, Civil Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
- Okereke C. D. 1991. Design and construction of automatic Maximum River stage meter. Research and Industry, India. Vol. 36.p.82 – 87
- Okereke C. D. 1993. Design and Testing of Porous pot irrigation system for dry season vegetable farming. NSE Technical Transactions. Vol. 28 pp. 27 – 35.
- Okereke C. D. 1995. Evaluation of Otamiri River sand mine for Filter Media. Advances in Geosciences. Vol. 1, No. 1. pp 64 – 69.
- OkerekeC. D. 1995. Performance of multi-compartment septic tanks in Nigeria. NSE Technical Transactions. Vol. 30. No. 3. pp. 41 – 45.
- Okereke C. D. and Nwankwor G. I. 1995. A case study of Hand pumps in rural water supply in Nigeria. Advances in Geosciences. Vol. 1, No. 1 pp. 29 – 37.
- Okereke C. D. 1995. Chemical quality of water sources for irrigation in the Rain forest zone of Nigeria: Case study of Abia and Imo States. Nigerian Journal of Engineering. Vol. 7. No. 1.
- Okereke C. D. and Okpala K. O. 1995. Oshika Bio-environment pollution by oil spills. Advances in Geosciences. Vol. 1, No. 1 pp 38 – 42.
- Okereke C. D. 1995. Nigerian surface waters and applicability in Irrigation: Imo/Abia States Case study. Advances in Geosciences. Vol. 1, No. 1. pp. 78 – 83.
- Okereke C. D. 1996. Refuse Characterization and Management in a developing economy: Owerri town case study. Environment Protection Engineering. Technical University of Wroclaw, Poland.Vol. 22. No. 3 – 4 pp. 5 – 4.
- Cotton A., R. Reed and C. D. Okereke, 1996. Perception of Septic Tanks in the Environments: An Overview. Environment Protection Engineering, Technical University of Wroclaw, Poland. Vol. 22. No 3 – 4. pp. 15 – 36
- Okereke C. D. 1997. Process kinetics of Septic Tanks. EnvironmentProtection Engineering Wroclaw, Poland. Vol. 23 No 34 pp 25 – 34.
- Nwachukwu, B. A., C. D. Okereke and L. O. Ukpai, 1998. The Pollution Level of Otamiri River, Owerri. Environmental Review ER/. Vol. 2. No. 2 pp. 6 – 15.
- Okereke C. D. 1998. An Evaluation of soil loss from an Agricultural land under various crop geometry. Journal of Agriculture, Science and Technology (JAST).
- Okereke C. D. 1999. On–farm Soil Erosion Rate under Local Management Practices. Journal of Erosion and Env. Degradation Vol. 1. No. 1 pp 94 – 102.
- Okereke C.D. 2003. The Environmental Economics of Multi-compartment Septic tanks. Environment Protection Engineering. Technical University of Wroclaw, Poland. EPE No. 2/3. PP. 1-7.
- Obioma C.P., K.N Nwaigwe, C. D.Okereke. 2014. Development and Evaluation of a Weighable Lysimeter to determine crop Evapotranspiration. IJRET India, Vol. 03, Issue 07.
- Obioma C.P., C.D. Okereke and K.N. Nwaigwe. 2015. Comparative Analysis of Direct and Four Indirect Methods for Determination of Evapotranspiration of Waterleaf (TalinumTriangulare).International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology, IJRET India. Volume- 04, Issue 02. Pp234 – 242. http://www.ijret.org
- Egbujor U., C.D. Okereke and K. N. Nwaigwe 2015. Biogas production from selected Agricultural Waste Materials and Water Hyacinth using a modified Digester. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability.
- Egbujor U. and Okereke C.D. 2016. Determination of Performance of Biogas Production from Blended Agricultural Waste Materials. FUTO JNLS, Vol.2, Issue 1, p.169 – 177.
- Ajiboye O., J. N. Maduako, C.D. Okereke, A.E. Azeke, M.K. Elemasho and C.C. Aneke. 2017. Effects of Processing Temperatures and Moisture Content on the Physico-chemical Properties of Groundnut Oil Expressed Mechanically. Nig. J. Pure & Applied Sci. Vol. 30 (Issue 1, 2017) ISSN 0794-0378.
- Nwaonuma C. N., C. D. Okereke, C. C. Egwuonwu, and K. O. Chilakpu. 2018. Development of Periwinkle Shell Capsule for Control of Water pH for Poultry Farming in Owerri Environs. FUTO Journal Series July 2018 Vol.4, Issue 1.
- Nwagwu O. J., Madubuike C. N., C.D. Okereke, R. Wole and K. O. Chilakpu. 2018. Assessing Vulnerability of Awka South Soil to Gully Erosion. FUTO JNL 2018, Vol. 4. Issue 1.
- Asuzu C. C., C. D. Okereke, S. N. Asoegwu and P.I. Nwachukwu. 2019. Suitability of Agricultural Waste Product (Palm Kernel Shell) as Coarse Aggregate in Concrete: A Review. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Bioresearch, ISSN: 2456-8643 PP. 234 – 240.
- Uchendu E.E., C. N. Madubuike, Okereke C. D. and Okereke N. A. A. 2021. Determination of Contamination Distance for Boreholes in Okigwe Zone in Imo State Nigeria. IJEAST Vol.6, Issue 2, ISSN No. 2455 – 2143 pp. 17 – 25. http://www.ijeast.com
- Nmecha M.I., C.D. Okereke, C.C. Egwuonwu, I. Esomonu and C. Ekweogu. 2023. Drone Development of a Dynamic Drone Device for Surveillance for Agricultural Lands to Detect Crude Oil Spill. Quest Journal. Asia
Books of Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Okereke C. D. 1985. High Test Hypochlorite water treatment device for Agrarian Communities. NSAE Conf. Proc. Vol. 9. P.83 – 99.
- Okereke C. D. 1988. Quality Status of Irrigation water Sources in Nigeria: The case of Imo State. NIWASA conf. Proc. Edited by Prof. K. O. Iwugo. Civil Eng. University of Lagos, Nigeria. pp. 408-423.
- Okereke C. D. 1988. Quality Status of Irrigation water Sources in Nigeria: The case of Imo State. CIGR – NSAE Intersections proc.of international symposium held at Ilorin in Sept. 5 – 10, 1988. pp. 365 – 371.
- Ndubuizu C. D., A. A. Asere and C. D. Okereke. 1988. Environmental pollution and Fire hazard Management in a Developing Economy. An invited paper presented at the Nigeria Society of engineers annual Seminar held at FUT, Owerri 13 – 14 Oct. 1998 proc. pp. 87 – 104.
- Okereke C. D. and G. E. Osuji, 1990. Effect of Raindrop Size and impact on soil splash. Proc. of National Seminar on Erosion Ravages in S. E. Nigeria Held at FUTO, May 29 – 31, 1990 pp. 73 – 81.
- Asoegwu S. N. and C. D. Okereke 1995. Effect of peak irrigation on growth and yield of paw-paw (carica papaya) in Nigeria. NSAE conf. Proc. Vol. 17.pp.163 – 176.
- Okereke C. D. 1997. Laboratory Method for comparative evaluation of the efficacy of farmstead sludge digester. NSAE Conf. Proceedings, Vol. 19. pp. 185 – 190.
- Okereke C. D. 1998. On-farm soil erosion rate under Local Management practices. NSAE Conf. Paper for proc. Vol. 20.
- Okereke C. D. 1998: Irrigation of melon crop using effluent water. Proc. 12th National irrigation and Drainage Seminar on irrigation for sustainable Agriculture, IAR ABU, Zaria, 14 – 18 April, 1998. p. 130 –142.
- Okereke C.D. 2006.Indigenization of Environmental Sciences. Publication of Whelan Research Academy, Owerri. Edited byT.I. Okere and Chukwudi Anthony Njoku Whelan Research Academy, Owerri. p. 209 – 220.
Books and Chapters in Books
- Okereke E. J. and C. D. Okereke. 1995. Information flow and Dissemination in the management of tertiary Institutions. Chap. 3. pp. 34 – 47 of Book on Planning and Management of tertiary institutions in Nigeria edited by C. D. Okereke. Published by Olliverson Publishing House, Owerri. ISBN. 978 – 2747 – 05 – X.
- Okereke C. D. 1995. Integrating Academic and Physical Planning in Management of Tertiary Institutions for Effective Performance. Chap 4. pp. 49 – 58 of Book on Planning and Management of Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria edited by C. D. Okereke. Published by Oliverson Publishing House, Owerri. ISBN – 2747 – 05 – X.
- Okereke C. D. 1991. Introduction to water treatment. Handbook on Industrial Water Treatment. General Relations Professional Development and Research Center (GRPDRC) Owerri workshop. Chap. 1 pp. 4 –8.
- Okereke C. D. and O. E. Okorafor. 1991. Cooling Water treatment. Handbook on Industrial water Treatment. GRPDRC Chap. 3. pp 13 – 17.
- Okereke C. D. and O. E. Okorafor. 1991. Contaminants of concern in Boiler water. Handbook on Industrial Water Treatment. GRPDRC pp. 61-72.
- Okereke C. D. 1991. Water Pollution and Government Regulation. Workshop book on Industrial waste and pollution control by GR Professional Development1and Research Centre p. 1 – 7.
- Okereke C. D. 1991. Pretreatment and primary treatment of wastewater. Workshop book on Industrial waste and Pollution control. GR Professional Development and Research Centre pp. 55 – 57.
- Okereke C. D. and Osuwa J. C. 1991. Pollution control measures. Workshop book on Industrial Waste and pollution control Gr. Prof. Dev. and Res. Centre pp. 80 – 83.
- Okereke C.D. 2006. Environmental Pollution Control, Barloz Publishers Inc. Benin. 350Pages. ISBN: 978 – 34991 – 3 – 5
- Federal University of Technology Owerri FUTO @ 25 (1980 – 2006); a Contributor Edited by Louis C. Asiegbu publisher O’Desy Concerns Nig. Ltd Owerri Nigeria 2006. ISBN: 978 – 219 – 500 – 6.
- Okereke C.D. 2011. Postgraduate Training in the Federal University of Technology, Owerri;a Festschrift in honour of Professor C.O.E Onwuliri.p.277- 295. Treasure Books Nigeria. ISBN: 979 – 978 – 50370 – 2 – 9.
- Okereke C.D.,Eze C.C. and E.C. Igboanusi (Ed.) 2010. Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Postgraduate School PG Theses& Dissertation Abstracts 1992 -2008.Publisher Living Flames Resources, Owerri, Imo State. ISBN: 978 – 2579 – 51 – 03.
- Engineering Education in Nigeria: The Challenges and the Way Forward. A contribution to the book written in honour of Professor T. I. Okere at the Golden Jubilee Ceremony of his Priestly Ordination published by TOTAN Publishers for Whelan Research Academy 2011. p. 409 – 425 of UgoOcha: A Pioneering Voice Edited by Chukwudi Anthony Njoku. ISBN: 978 – 042 – 040 – 1.
- Chidi Donatus Okereke and Theodore Ifeanyichukwu Onyeche. 2020. Environmental Pollution Control. Lambert Academic Publishing, Mauritius printed by Schaltungsdienst Lange o. H.G., Berlin Germany
Editorship of Academic Publications/Research Books
- Editor, Planning, and Management of Tertiary Institutions in Nigeria. Olliverson Publishing House, Owerri ISBN 978 – 2747 – 05 – x.
- Editor, Readings in Environmental Perception being published by Nigerian Environmental Society (NES). Imo/Abia State chapter.
- Editor, Millennium Bug and Practical Remedies. Oliverson Publishing House. ISBN: 979 – 2747 – 19 – x.
- Environmental Pollution Control, Barloz Publishers Inc. Benin. Book of 350 pages. ISBN: 978 – 34991 – 3 – 5.
- Design of automatic maximum River Stage meter CDO model 2. Patent No. RP 11376 of date of sealing, 20/4/93 (in commercial use).
- Computerized Laboratory flow measurement data acquisition system. Patent No. RP 11465 of 1/7/93
Consultancy and Technical Reports
- FUTO Borehole Project: Report on Water Quality of FUTO Borehole 2. A Technical report submitted to FUTO CONSULT, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, May, 1993.
- Infiltration tests on the Ibu Dam project area soils at Arondizuogu. A technical report submitted to Anambra- Imo River Basin Development Authority by Goddy N. Onuoha and C. D. Okereke.
- Owerri Relief Market gully erosion control Project; Rapid Result Approach. A technical design report submitted to Imo State Environmental Protection Agency (ISEPA), Sept., 1994.
- Planning Report for Water supply Scheme in Isiekenesi Parish: Feasibility Study. Vol.1. Jan. 1997.
- Report on Study and Design of Measures for gully Erosion Control at Agbahara Nsu in Ehime-Mbano Local Government Area. Submitted to Imo State Committee on Ecological problems (ISCEP), Ministry of Agriculture and Environment, Owerri, Sept. 2001.
- Final Report on Study and Design of Measures for gully Erosion Control at Uhuala Obibi Ochasi, Orlu Local Government Area. Submitted to Imo State Committee on Ecological problems (ISCEP), Ministry of Agriculture and Environment, Owerri, Sept. 2001.
- Report on Soil/Concrete Test Result of Nkwo-Mbaa Erosion Control Project (Mbano L.G.A.) submitted to Emifan Services Limited (Engineering and Construction), Oct 19, 2001.
- Soil Investigation Report for Plot 5041 within Commercial Action Area Layout, New Owerri, Owerri West LGA covering an area of 3.177 Ha proposed for 7-Storey Hotel Building, 2010.
Research Gate Profile URL:
Google Scholar Page URL: