Samuel Chidi Iwuji,
Dr Iwuji held several academic and administrative leadership positions in the University. The recent ones included: Ag. Head and Chairman, Academic Board of Physiology Department (2016-17); Post Graduate Coordinator, Department of Biomedical Technology (2014-16); School (SOHT) SIWES Coordinator (2014 –17); Chairman, SOHT Lecture Series Committee (2015 -17); Coordinator, SOHT Physiology Courses (2005 –16); Chairman, Finance Committee, 2016 SOHT International Conference (2016); Chairman, NIBE- FUTO Linkage Programme Coordinating Committee (2010-16), among others.
He is a Member of The Physiological Society based in UK and Physiological Society of Nigeria; a Member, College of Fellows, Nigeria Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Technology (affiliated to International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering and the National Secretary, Association of Biomedical Engineers and Technologists.
He has supervised two postgraduate (M.Sc.) projects and over 30 undergraduate projects with technological designs/productions and over 30 publications. He has attended over 30 conferences and learned society activities
He remains a community leader at home and abroad with different portfolios of responsibilities. He is happily married with children.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Dr Iwuji coordinated the postgraduate programme of Biomedical Technology (BMT) till 2016 when he was appointed to head the current Department of Human and Applied Physiology, School of Basic Medical Science (SBMS). He was the first BMT Examination/ Timetable Officer/Staff Adviser for about six years. He was a former Coordinator BMT Continuing Education programme and for the School of Health Technology (SOHT) Students’ Industrial Work Experience Scheme.
He teaches/coordinates physiological and pharmacological courses since 2004. He has supervised more than thirty students’ projects; including M.Sc. works. He has been very active in academic curricula development of programmes in SOHT and SBMS.
He is a Biomedical Scientist and Fellow of the College of Biomedical Engineering and Technology (CBET). He is also a consultant in Environmental Health and Safety, licensed by the Environmental Health Officers’ Registration Council of Nigeria (EHORECON). He was the first Environmental Health Officer (EHO) / Field Supervisor (Temporary) in Imo State Environmental Protection Agency, Owerri from 1993 – 1995 before leaving for further education.
RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT INTERESTS:
- Environmental Health Physiology & Toxicology (Impact assessments)
- Ethnopharmacology & Disease control (Herbal Research & Development)
- Iwuji, S.C., Egenonu, C. A., Ndubuka, G.I.N., Azeez, T.O., Ekezie, J., Dozie, I.N.S and Ohadoma, S. C. (2016). Comparison of the Phytochemical Constituents and Antibacterial Activities of Aqueous and Hydromethanolic Leaf Extracts of Chaya (Cnidoscolus aconitifolius.) Federal University of Technology Owerri Journal Series (FUTOJNLS). 2, 1, pp- 195 – 204 . e-ISSN: 2476-8456 p-ISSN: 2467-8325.
- Iwuji SC and Nwafor A (2015). Phytochemical Identification in the Chloroform Fraction of Aqueous-Methanol Extract of Cnidoscolus aconitifolius Leaves. British J. Pharmaceut. Res. 5(6): 437-441.
- Ohadoma SC, Osuala FN, Amazu LU, Iwuji SC (2017).Comparative Analysis of the Anticonvulsant activity of Crinum jagus and Solanum indicum in Mice. UK Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biosciences Vol. 5(3), 31-34.
- Ndubuka GIN, Ekezie J., Okafor WC., Samuel Uzoechi, Iwuji SC, Worgu Faith, Nkuma-Udah KL, Ngwogu KO and Chikezie JN. (2017). Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology Aided by Skinfold Caliper in the Diagnosis of Lymphoadenopathy in the Tropics. International Journal of Forensic Sciences: 2 (1).
- Ndubuka GIN, Jervas E, Ngwogu KO, Okafor WC, Nkuma-Udah KI, Iwuji SC, KO Ejeta, CI Kamanu, Ezejiofor TIN and Faith W1 (2017). The Occurrence of Uterine Benign Diseases and their Histomorphologic Characters. Journal of Forensic Pathology: 2:1.
- Sylvester C. Ohadoma, Louis U. Amazu, Felix N. Osuala, Samuel Iwuji (2016). Assessment of Antimicrobial Activity of Ethanol Extracts of Commiphora Africana and Boswellia dalzielii. UK Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biosciences. 4(3): 1-5. ISSN: 2347-9442.
- Wilson Chimaobi Okafor, Gideon Ihebuzo Ndubuka, Ekezie Jervas, Iwuji Samuel Chidi, Okeke Chukwubuike Udoka, Osuchukwu Ikechukwu, William (2016) Effects of Immature Coconut Water on the Hepato-Cytoarchitecture Against Carbontetrachloride-induced Liver Damagein Wistar Rats. Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences. 15 (7) 1: 60-65. (IOSR-JDMS) www.iosrjournals.org.
- Agbai, E. O., Mounmbegna, P. P. E., Njoku, C. J., Nwanegwo, C. O., Awemu, G. A. and Iwuji C. . Effect of annona muricata Seed Extract on Blood Glucose, Total and Differential White Cell Count after Repeated Exposure to Clozapine. Research in Neuroscience. 4(1): 10-15. DOI:10.5923/j.neuroscience.20150401.02.
- Gideon Ihebuzo Ndubuka, Wilson Chimaobi Okafor, Ekezie Jervas, Iwuji Samuel Chidi, Okeke Chukwubuike Udoka, Osuchukwu Ikechukwu Williams (2015). Protective Effect of Immature Coconut Water on Hepatocytes against Carbontetrachloride-induced Liver Damage in Wister Rats. International Journal of Science and Research Volume 4 Issue 12 (IJSR) ISSN (Online): 2319-7064 Index.
- Iwuji, S.C., Nwafor, A., Egwurugwu, J. and Chikezie, H. (2014). Antihyperglycaemic Efficacy of Cnidoscolus aconitifolius compared with Glibenclamide in Alloxan-induced Diabetic Wistar Rats. International Research Journal of Medical Science. 2 (3): 1-4.
- Nwaokoro, J.C., Okorie, E.A., Emerole, C. O., Ibe, S.N.O., Amadi, A.N., Dozie, I.N.S., Iwuji, S.C. and Nwaokoro, A.A. (2014). Study on the effect of smoking on Type 2 Diabetic Patients in Federal Medical Center Owerri, South-eastern Nigeria. Asian Journal of Medical Science. 5 (3): 63-71.
- Iwuji S C, Nwafor A, Egwurugwu J. Ejeta K. and Akpan U. (2013). Comparative Characterization of the Phytomedicinal Constituents of Cnidoscolus aconitifolius Leaf Extracts. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Technology. 3(1):779-784.
- Iwuji, S. C., Nwafor, A., Azeez, T. O., Nwosu, E. C., Nwaokoro, J. C., Egwurugwu, J., Danladi, N. B. (2013). Nutritional and Electrolyte Values of Cnidoscolus aconitifolius (Chaya) leaves consumed in Niger Delta, Nigeria. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Technology. 3(6) 138-147.
- Egwurugwu J.N., Nwafor A., Oluronfemi O.J., Iwuji S.C. and Alagwu E.A. (2013). Impact of Prolonged Exposure to Oil and Gas Flares on Human Renal Functions. International Research Journal of Medical Science. Vol. 1(11), 9-16.
- Iwuji S C, Nwafor A, Chike, C P R, Iwuji N G and Nwaokoro J C. (2013). Interactive Effect of Combined Aqueous Leaf Extracts of Ocimum gratissimum and Vernonia amygdalina on Fasting Blood Glucose in Rabbits. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Technology. 3 (5): 359-369.
- Azeez T. O, Onukwuli O. D., Araromi D. O., Arinkoola A. O., Salam K. K, IwujiC, Ejeta K.O., Dawodu B. F., Ayinde K.A, Nwacha R. and Azeez F.O(2013). Optimization of Bioremediation of Cheese Whey with the Activity of Klebsiella Pneumonia Using Response Surface Methodology. International Journal of Science and Emerging Technologies with Latest Trends. 11(1): 10-21.
- Iwuji, S., Nwafor A., Azeez T. O., Nwosu, E. C., Egwurugwu, J. and Danladi, N. B. (2013). Nutritional Evaluation of Medicinal Cnidoscolus aconitifolius (Chaya) leaves Used in Nigeria. (Accepted on Sept. 06, 2013 by African Journal of Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering and Sciences.).
- Nkuma-Udah, K.I., Agoha, E.E.C., Ndubuka, G.I., Osuagwu, C.G., Iwuji, S.C. and Ejeta, K. (2012). Strengthening of Developing Countries Biomedical Engineering by the Developing Countries: The Engineering World Health Experience. M. Long (Ed.). World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering. IFMBE Proceedings pp 1704-1707.
- Nwosu, E.C., Iwuji, S.C., Nkuma-Udah K.I., Orakwue, C., Mbagwu K. and Okoye, G.C (2012). Design and Fabrication of a Local Colorimeter for the Developing Countries. African Journal of Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering and Sciences. 3, 58 – 62.
- Egwurugwu, J.N., Nwafor, A., Chike, C.P.R. Ufearo, C.S., Uchefuna, R.C., Iwuji, S.C., Okwara, J.E. and Alagwu, E.A. (2011). The relationship between body mass index, semen and sex hormones in adult males. Nigerian Journal of Physiological Science. 26 (1): 29-34.
- Adienbo, O.M, Nwafor, A. and Iwuji, S. (2011). Effects Of Aqueous Fruit Extract Of Xylopia Aethiopica On Reproductive Hormones In Male Guinea Pigs. Global Journal of Pure and Applied Science. 17. (2): 137-139.
- Iwuji, S.C., Adeoye, G.O., Iwuji, N.G., Lamina, S., Opara, K.N. and Iwueke, G.C. (2010). Comparison of the Knockdown Effects of Citrus sp. And Platostoma sp. Extracts For Safer Malarial Vector Control. Journal of Health Science and Technology. 1: 17-22.
- Iwuji, S. C., Nwafor, A., Adienbo, O. M., Egwurugwu, J., Iwuji, N.G. and Oodo, O.M. (2010). Hypoglycaemic Potential of Aqueous Leaf Extract of Vernonia amygdalina: An animal study. African Journal of Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering and Sciences. 2: 9 – 13.
- Iwuji, S. C., Nkuma-Udah, K.I., Onwuchekwa, A. I., Onuoha, C. K., Osuji, H.A. and Okoye, G. C. (2010). Design of a Digital cardiotachometer. African Journal of Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering and Sciences.2: 134-137.
- Azeez, T.O., Lamina, S and Iwuji, S.C. (2010). Correlation of cardio-respiratory fitness and gait parameters of young undergraduate subjects. Journal of Health Science and Technology.1: 140-146.
- Iwuji, S.C, Nkuma-Udah, K.I., Adeoye, G.O., Iwuji, N.G., Iwueke, G.C. and Siminialayi, I.M. (2010). Insecticidal Efficacy of Lambda-cyhalothrin, Cyfluthrin, Citrus Sp. Peel oil And Platostoma Sp. Leaf Extract on Anopheles Mosquitoes. J. Nat. & Appl. Sc.6 (3): 317-320.
- Iwuji, S.C., Ekeh, N.G., Agbaje, E.O. and Siminialayi, I. M. (2009). Hepatic Safety of Enantia chlorantha used as Antimalarial: An Animal Study. African Journal of Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering and Sciences. 1, 71 – 74.
- Egwurugwu, J.N., Obaji, N.N., Ufearo, C.S., Olorunfemi, O.J., Adienbo, O.M., Uchefuna, R.C., Iwuji, S.C., Chinko, B. And Akpan, E. (2009). The Effects Of Crude Extracts Of Pterocarpus Soyauxii On The Haematology Of Albino Wistar Rats. International Journal of Natural and Applied Science. 5 (4): 361-364.
- Ekeh, N.G., Adeoye, G.O. and Iwuji, S.C. (2008). The insecticidal effectiveness of pyrethroids and orange peels for malaria vector control. Journal of Medical Research and Technology. 5 (1): 3-8.
- Iwuji, S.C., Ekeh, N.G and Agbaje, E.O. (2007). Haematological Effects of Antimalarial Enantia chlorantha Using Animal Model. Journal of Medical Research and Technology. 4. (2).
- Ofuya, Z.M. and Iwuji, S.C. (2002). The Growth Pattern of Infants (0-12 Months) In a Rural area of River State, Nigeria Journal Applied Science and Environmental Management. 6 (1) 87-90.
- Iwuji C., Nnadiekwe C. A., Ndubuka, G. N., Nwaokoro, J.C., Agbai, E. O., Oparaku M. I. and Nwankwo P. U. Design and Fabrication of SMS-Based Blood Pressure and Temperature Tele-Monitor. ISCA- Research Journal of Engineering Sciences (RJEngS) -2015-011 Date: 08-03-2015 by Iwuji S. C. [Accepted paper].
- Iwuji, S.C., Okoro, I. A., Ndubuka, G.I., Agbasi, P.U., Ekezie, J., Agbai, E.O. and Siminialayi, I.M. Comparison of the In vitro Antibacterial Activities of Cnidoscolus aconitifolius and Ocimum gratissimum Hydromethanolic Leaf Extracts. Biomedical and Pharmacology Journal, vol. 09 no.2. (Accepted paper).
- Iwuji, S. (2016). Basics of Human Physiology. Milestone Publishers Ltd. Owerri, Nigeria. pp: 1-125. ISBN: 978-978-54170-5-0.
- Iwuji, S.C. (2014). Environmental Toxicology: EHS 405 Course. Ibrahim, O.S. and Adebanjo, A. (Eds.). The National Open University of Nigeria. Lagos. Pp 1-229. ISBN: 978-058-818-1. For detail, please visit nou.edu.ng/NOUN_OCL/pdf/SST/EHS405.pdf.
- Iwuji, S.C. (2011). Essential Drug Profiles with Nursing & Safety Considerations. ABC Publications Inc., an imprint of Directories of African Biography Ltd, Aba, Nigeria. ISBN: 978-978-50518-8-9.
- Iwuji, S.C. (2010). Basics and Applications of General Pharmacology. Milestone Publishers Ltd. Owerri, Nigeria. ISBN: 978-978-49004-3-1.