Lecturer II, Biochemistry Department
Ms. Amanda U. Ezirim
Teaching is my forte. It is highly dependent on continuous learning and I have enjoyed the journey so far. While gaining more research skills, I have had opportunities to supervise students in interesting projects. I have also presented papers at participated conferences of my regional professional bodies and have participated in molecular biology-themed workshops. These have undoubtedly enhanced my research interests. Through scientific collaborations, I do hope to strive in contributing my quota for the benefit of our communities.
- MSc Biomedical Science, Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom – 2019
- MSc Biochemistry, University of Lagos, Nigeria – 2011
- BSc Biochemistry, Madonna University, Nigeria – 2006
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Member, FADIB – Foundation for African Development through International Biotechnology
- Member, NSBMB – Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Member, NISEB – Society for Experimental Biology of Nigeria
- Member, OWSD – Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World
- Member, WASOT – West African Society of Toxicology
- BCH 511 Cell and Tissue Culture Techniques
- BCH 405 Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering
- BCH 309 Introduction to Immunology and Immunochemistry
- BCH 201 Biochemistry of Carbohydrates and Lipids
- Lecturer II – Nov. 2013 – to date
- Department of Biochemistry, Federal University of Technology Owerri, FUTO Imo State, Nigeria.
- Assistant Lecturer – Sept. 2012 – Oct.2013
- Department of Biochemistry, Madonna University Elele Campus, Rivers State, Nigeria.
- Medical biochemistry, medicinal plant research and cancer biology.
- Ms. Ezirim’s primary research focuses on the effects of medicinal plant extracts on key biological systems during normal and diseased states.
- Ezirim A.U., Udenze, E.C., Ihedimbu, C.P., Ukairo, D.I. and Iheme, C.I. (2016) Chelation potential of aqueous leaf extracts of Vernonia amygdalina and Phyllanthus amaruson kidney functions in lead-intoxicated albino Wistar rats. International Journal of Biochemistry Research. 12 (2):1-10.
- Ukairo D.I., Nzelibe, H.C., Iheme, C. I., Udenze, E. C., Ihedimbu, C. P., Ezirim A.U and Drisu, S. (2016) Raw grain characteristics and endoglucanase activity of Sorghum (S. bicolour) and Millet (Pennisetumtyphoides &
Digitariaexilis) Malts. International Journal of Biotechnology and Biochemistry, 2(6):14-19.
- Ukairo D.I., Nzelibe, H.C., Iheme, C. I., Udenze, E. C., Ihedimbu, C. P. and Ezirim A.U. (2015) Purification and Characterization of Endoglucanase from Sorghum (S. bicolour) and Millet (Pennisetumtyphoides&
Digitariaexilis) Malts. International Journal of Biochemistry Research and Review. 8(4): 1-11.
- Iheme, C.I., Nwaoguikpe, R.N., Abanobi, S.E., Igwe, E.C., Udenze, E.C., Ezirim, A U., Ihedimbu, C. P. and Ukairo, D.I. (2015) Changes in enzymes activities of soil samples exposed to electromagnetic radiations (EMR) from a mobile phone. African Journal of Biochemistry Research, 9(1): 1-8.
- Iheme, C.I., Nwaoguikpe, R.N., Igwe, C.U, Udenze, E.C., Ezirim, A U., Ukairo D.I and Ihedimbu, C. P. (2015) Total colony counts of some microorganisms in soil samples exposed to electromagnetic radiations from mobile phones. International Journal of Biochemistry Research and Review, 8 (4): 1-11.
- Udenze, E.C., Ezirim, A.U., Ihedimbu, C.P. and Iheme, C. I. (2014) Effects of oral administration of Garcinia kola seeds on haematological and defence parameters of diabetic rats. American Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 4 (4): 167-175.
- Ezirim, A.U., Okochi, V.I., James, A.B., Adebeshi, O.A., Ogunnowo, S., Odeghe, O.B. (2013) Induction of apoptosis in myelogenous leukemic K562 cells by ethanolic leaf extract of Annona muricata. Global J Res Med Plants Indigen Med. 2 (3):142-151.