Professor, Biochemistry Department
Prof. Mrs Gloria N. Okwu
Prof Mrs Gloria Nkiruka Okwu is a Professor of Biochemistry in the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO). She obtained her Bachelor’s Degree in Biochemistry from the University of California, Los Angeles, M.Sc in Biochemistry from the University of Colorado, Boulder and PhD in Nutritional/Medical Biochemistry from FUTO. With over 35 years of teaching and research experience, she has several scholarly publications to her credit in International and local journals. Her research interests are in the areas of Nutrition, Child and Maternal Health, Medicinal plant research and Environmental Toxicology. Her research findings have resulted in notable and significant contributions in the area of pharmaceutical biochemistry and Environmental Toxicology. Some of these findings were presented at the Global Biotechnology Congress, Boston USA in 2014 & 2015 and International Conference on Environment and Natural Science, Washington DC, USA in 2019. She has held several administrative positions in the University including Director of Office for University Development ( 2012 – 2015 ) and has been the Director of the Institute of Women, Gender and Development Studies from 2015 to date. She is also the Editor-in-chief of the International Journal of Gender and Development Issues (IJGDI).
- PhD in Nutritional Biochemistry, Federal University of Technology, Owerri – 2008
- M.Sc in Biochemistry, University of Colorado, Boulder – 1978
- B.Sc in Biochemistry, University of California, Los Angeles – 1976
- West African School Certificate, Grade 1 – 1971
- Nigerian Electricity Supply Corporation Ltd. Scholarship – 1964 – 1968
- (A competitive scholarship open only to children of employees and which covered total secondary school expenses for five years).
- Was in the Honours Programme at the – 1973 – 1975.
- The University of California, Los Angeles (an academic programme for undergraduates with a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or above out of a possible maximum of 4.00 points).
- University of California Jean Cook’s Scholarship, – 1974.
- American Association of University Women – 1977 –1978.
- (AAUW) Fellowship, A highly competitive International Fellowship for post-graduate studies for women from countries other than the U.S.
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) – 2004 – 2008.
- Study fellowship,
- Award of honour as “Star Mother” by Catholic Women – 2012
- The organization, CKC Chaplaincy, A.I.F.C.E., Owerri
- Award of Excellence by Federal University of Technology – 2017
- Women Association (FUTOWA)
MEMBERSHIP OF RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Member, Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (NSBMB) – 2002 to present
- Member, Nutrition Society of Nigeria (NSN) – 2004 to present
- Member, Nigerian Society of Biological Conservation (NSBC) – 2004 to present
Courses Assigned to Teach
- BIO 101Biology for Agric and Biological Sciences
- BCH 201Chemistry of Carbohydrates and Lipids
- BCH 202Chemistry of Proteins and Nucleic Acids
- BCH 301Enzymology
- BCH 307Membrane Biochemistry
- BCH 308Biosynthesis of Macromolecules
- BCH 403Advanced Enzymology
- BCH 407Bioinorganic Chemistry
- BCH 409Metabolic Regulation
- BCH 502Applied Enzymology
- BCH 503Plant/Phytobiochemistry
- BCH 504Biochemical Reasoning
- BCH 505seminar
- BCH 507Project Supervision
- BCH 509Biochemistry of Foods & Nutrition
- BCH 512Xenobiotics & Forensic Biochemistry
- BCH 602/702Advanced Biochemical Techniques and Instrumentation
- BCH 605/705Enzyme Technology
- BCH 607/707Food and Nutritional Biochemistry
- BCH 610/710Genetic Engineering
- BCH 616/716Biochemical Aspects of Agriculture and Food Industry
- BCH 617/717Seminar
- BCH/PD 604Biochemistry of Foods and Nutrition
- BCH/PD 609Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
TEACHING AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Orthodontist’s Assistant – 1973 (part-time).
- Laboratory Assistant in the Bacteriology Department, University of California, Los Angeles, – 1974.
- Research Assistant to Professor R. Martinez, University of California Los Angeles, – 1975.
- Graduate Teaching Assistantship, University of Colorado Boulder. – 1976 – 1977.
- Lecturer 11 – Principal Lecturer in chemistry Dept, Alvan Ikoku Federal College of Education (A.I.F.C.E.), Owerri, – Jan. 1979 – Feb. 1999.
- Head, Dept of Chemistry A.I.F.C.E., Owerri, – March 1997 to October 1998.
- Lecturer 1, Dept of Biological Sciences, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, – Feb. 1999 to Jan 2003.
- Senior Lecturer, Dept of Biochemistry, FUTO, – Oct 2008-2012.
- Associate Professor, Dept of Biochemistry, FUTO, – Oct 2012- 2015.
- Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, FUTO – Oct. 2015 – present
Areas of Research Interest include:
- Child and Maternal Health
- Medicinal Plant Research
- Environmental Toxicology
- Gender-Based Violence
- Okwu, G. N.; (1982). Isolation of a Transcriptionally Active Chromosome From Chloroplasts of Zea Mays. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Sciences, vol 6 No1 pg 43 – 49
- Okwu, G. N.; (1995). Lead Pollution as a Public Health Hazard in Nigeria. Journal of Review in Physical, Health Education and Recreation, Vol 1 No1 Pg 39 – 42. http://www.ojhas.org/issue 23/2007-3-1.htm
- Okwu G.N.; Ilobinso, A.C.; Onoh, C.N. and Igwe, C.U. (2011). Assessment of Protein Energy Malnutrition Among Pre-School Children Attending Well Baby Clinic at Federal Medical Centre, Owerri. International Journal of Biochemistry Vol 3 (1) 61-65.
- Okwu, G.N (2011) Studies on the Predisposing Factors of Iron Deficiency Anaemia Among Lactating Women in Owerri, Nigeria. International Research Journal of Biochemistry and Bioinformatics Vol 1 (11) 304-309 (http://www.interesjournals.
- Igwe, C.U.; Ujowundu, C.O., Nwogu, L.A. and Okwu, G.N. (2011) Chemical Analysis of an Edible African Termite, Macrotermes Nigeriens is a Potential Antidote to Food Security Problem. Biochemistry and Analytical Biochemistry 1: 105 doi: 10.4172/2161-1009.1000105
- Nwaogu. L.A.; Ibegbulem, C.O., Igwe, C.U. Emejulu, A.A.; Okwu, G.N. and Belonwu, D.C. (2012) Iodine and Goitrogen Content of Some Selected Food Seasonings Consumed in Nigeria. Journal of Research in Biochemistry vol 1 No 1 36-41
- Okwu, G.N., Onwuliri, V.A.; Iwueke, A.U., Ihejirika, I.N., Nwaogu, L.A. and Ujowundu, C.O. (2012). Incidence of Protein Energy Malnutrition and Iron Deficiency Anaemia Among Lactating Women in Owerri, Nigeria. African Journal of Medical Sciences Vol 5 (1) pg 71-77.
- Okwu, G.N.; Onyeze, G.O.C.; Nwaoguikpe, R.N.; Ihejirika, I.N.; Iheanacho, K.M.E. and Alisi, C.S. (2012) Incidence of Protein Energy Malnutrition Among Pregnant Women in Owerri and Environs. African Journal of Medical Sciences, Vol 5 (2) pg 45-51.
- Alisi, C.S.; Ojiako, O.A., Igwe, C.U.; Ujowundu, C.O,; Anugweje, K. and Okwu, G.N. (2012). Antioxidant Content and Free Radical Scavenging Activity of Honeys of Apis Mellifera of Obudu Cattle Ranch. International Journal of Biochemistry Research & Review 2 (4) 164-175.
- Okwu, G.N.; Agha, N.C. Ojiako, O.A.; Ene, A.C. Ihejirika, I.N. and Ibegbulem, C.O. (2013). Studies on Some Predictors of Protein Energy Malnutrition Among Lactating Women in Owerri Nigeria. African Journal of Medical Sciences, Vol 6 No 1 73-79.
- Ibegbulem, C.O.; Igwe, C.U.; Okwu, G.N.; Ujowundu, C.O,; Onyeike, E.N. and Ayalogu, E.O. (2013). Total Amino Acid Profiles of Heat Processed Fresh Elaeis Guineeniss and Raphia Hookeri Wines. Food Chemistry Vol 138 (2) pg 1616-1620.
- Ene, A.C.; Obika, C.J.; Okwu, G.N.; Alisi, C.S. and Edeh, N.G. (2013). In Vivo Anti-malarial Effect of Methanol and Aqueous Extracts of Picralima Nitida Plant Parts. Journal of Research in Biochemistry 1 (2) 95-105.
- Nwaoguikpe, R.N.; Ujowundu, C.O. and Okwu, G.N.(2013). The Antisickling potentials of Four Curcubits (T. Occidentalis, C. Maxima; C. Sativus and C. Lonatus). Scholars Journal of Applied Medical Sciences (SJAMS) 1 (3); 191 -198.
- Igwe, C.U.; Ibegbulem, C.O., Nwaogu, L.A., Ujowundu, C.O. and Okwu, G.N.(2013) Calcium, Zinc and Phytate in Interrelationship in Four lesser-known African seeds processed into Food Condiments. Journal of Advances in Chemistry 4 (1) 288 – 294
- Ujowundu, C.O., Nwaoguikpe, R.N.; and Okwu, G.N. and Ene A.C. (2014). Crude oil Induced Oxidative Changes and Chemoprotective Roles of Ocimum gratissimum and Gongronema Iatifolium Formulated Diet. Journal of Advances in Biology (2) 645-650.
- Okwu, G.N., Ogbonna, C.U., Ujowundu, C.O., Igwe, K.O., Igwe, C.U. and Emejulu, A.A. (2014). Protective Effect of Ethanol Leaf Extract of Combretum Zenkeri on Liver functions of Albino Rats following Benzo (A) Pyrene Exposure. Biological and Chemical Research 1 (1) 16-25.
- Ujowundu, C.O., Ogbede, J.U., Igwe, K.O.; Okwu, G.N.; Agha, N.C. and Okechukwu, R.I. (2014). Quantitative Assessment of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons and Heavy Metals in Fish Roasted with Firewood, Waste Tyres and Polyethylene Materials. Biochemistry Analytical Biochemistry 4:162. (doi: 10.4172/2161.1009.1000162).
- Ujowundu, C.O., Ogbonna, C.U., Okwu, G.N., and C.S. Alisi (2015). Free radical scavenging and neuroprotective effects of ethanolic leaf extract of Combretum Zenkeri Leaf. Annual Research & Review in Biology 6 (2): 133-141.
- Okwu, G.N., Abanobi, S.E., Nnadi, U.V., Ujowundu, C.O., and Ene, A.C. (2015). Hypolipidemic Properties of Ethanol extract of Cyperus rotundus rhizome. International Journal of Biochemistry Research and Review 7 (3): 132 -138.
- Akunne, P.N., Ene, A.C., Ihenacho, K.M.E., Okwu, G.N., Nwaogu, L.A. and Ene, C.U. (2015). Acute toxicity of methanol extract of picalima nitida in Swiss Albino Rats World Journal of Biology and Medical Science vol 2 (3) 22-28.
- Okwu, G.N.; Asiabaka, I.P., Ihejirika, I.N., Nnosiri, C.N., Ikeji, C.N. and Ezirim, U.A. (2015). Studies on the Predisposing Factors of Protein Energy Malnutrition Among Lactating Women in Aboh Mbaise General Hospital, International Journal of Gender and Development Issues Vol 2 no 5, 41-48
- Ene, AC, Ezeji Chigbu NGN, Emejulu, AA, Ene CU, Okwu, GN, Ujowundu CO (2018). Antiplasmodial and Antioxidant Evaluation of the Methanol and Aqueous Extracts of Sarcocephalus latifolius. SciFed Journal of Analytical Biochemistry, 1:1 1 – 9.
- Ihejirika, I.N., Okedare, A.O., Adebayo, A.M., Joel-Medewase, V.I., Anih, I.A. and Okwu, G.N. (2018). Utilization of Oral Rehydration Therapy/Zinc Among CareGivers of Under Five Children Presenting at a Secondary Health Institution in Ibadan, South-West Nigeria. International Journal of Gender and Development Issues vol 1 no 8 55-66.
- Okwu, G.N., Ujowundu, C.O. and Ezema, J.C. (2019). Oxidative Stress Biomarkers in Male Clarias gariepinus (African Catfish) Exposed to Sublethal Concentrations of Glyphosate. International Journal of Advances in Science Engineering and Technology (IJASEAT) vol 7 issue 4