Senior Lecturer, Department of Biology
Dr Mrs Olusola O. Ibeh
Dr. (Mrs.) Olusola O. Ibeh is an astute Geneticist who has worked in the correct traditions of Genetics, Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics. She has also participated in different training/workshops both nationally and internationally to further sharpen her skills. She has an in-depth knowledge of the science of Genetics, being a specialist in this unique area of biology and having taught various courses in the field for over three decades. She was a member of the academic staff of the Abia State University, Uturu from 1990 to 2018, where she was involved in teaching all the core Genetics, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology courses. She was an adjunct lecturer at the Imo State University for several years and had also served sabbatical leave tenure at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. She led a TET fund sponsored research on ‘Studies on the genotoxicity potentials of municipal landfill leachate and the impact on groundwater quality’ (TET fund institution-based research) in 2016-2017 and has supervised several students’ projects in different aspects of Genetics. She has served on various University committees at the school and college levels, and also as an academic (and otherwise) staff adviser for students. She is currently a member of the academic staff of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
- PhD. Zoology (Genetics, Molecular Biology and Parasitology), December 2004.
- M.Sc. Zoology (Molecular Genetics), December 1989.
- B.Sc. Zoology, Second Class Honors (Lower Division), June 1986.
- West African School Certificate, July 1982.
- Award of Excellence as a lecturer (2007/2008 academic session), Abia State University, Uturu, Nigeria
- Award of Excellence as a lecturer (2008/2009 academic session), Abia State University, Uturu, Nigeria
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Zoological Society of Nigeria 1995-present
- Genetics Society of Nigeria 1997-present
- Nigerian Society for Parasitology 2004-present
- American Association for Science and Technology 2015-present
- Biotechnology Society of Nigeria 2016-present
- Association for Women in Science 2016-present
Course Code and Courses assigned to teach
BIO 101/103, BIO 301, BIO 309, BIO 413, BIO 509, BIO 511, BIO 201, BIO 104, BIO 206, BIO 312, BIO 504, BIO 513
- Assistant Zoo Manager, Rivers State Tourism, 1986-1987 (NYSC)
- Laboratory Instructor, Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife, 1987-1989.
- Academic Staff, Abia State University (Former Imo State University) Uturu.
- Assistant Lecturer, 1990-1991.
- Lecturer II, 1991-2001.
- Lecturer I, 2001-2007.
- Senior lecturer, 2007- 2018.
- Academic Staff, Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- Senior lecturer, 2019 – date
I am currently working on the cytotoxic and genotoxic effects of landfill leachates from different dumpsites in the Southeast of Nigeria and the impact on life forms, soil, groundwater quality etc., investigations of the effects of effluents from the various industries in the Southeast of Nigeria on vegetation and also the short and long term genetic effects of environmental pollution on living organisms. These investigations are particularly of a great significance in contributing to environmental pollution monitoring, especially with the current global emphasis on a safe environment for humans. I am also working on investigations on the use of dermatoglyphics for population studies, and also as a tool for the rapid diagnosis and possible prevention of some genetic diseases such as hypertension, rheumatoid arthritis, sickle cell anaemia etc.
List of peer-reviewed Publications
- Ibeh, O. O. and Chigbu, N. J. (2019). Digital Dermatoglyphics Survey Among the Osusu Isiala-Ngwa Population of Southeastern Nigeria. Proceedings of the 43rd Annual Conference of the Genetics Society of Nigeria.
- Ibeh, O. O. (2019) Genetic Ecotoxicology: A Subtle Threat to Sustainable National Development. Book of Abstracts of the 1st South East Zonal Conference Biotechnology Society of Nigeria.
- Ibeh O. and Udom I. (2019). Evaluation of Digital Dermatoglyphics Patterns and Sex Distribution Among the Ikot Obong Otoro Population of Akwa-Ibom State, Nigeria. Book of Abstracts of the OWSD CONFERENCE.
- Ibeh, O. O. and Umeham, S. N. (2018). Genotoxicity Assessment of Three Industrial Effluents Using the Allium cepa African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology.12(3):115-122.
- Ibeh, O. O., Faluyi, J. O. and Dinnie, H. (2018). Genotoxicity Evaluation of a Pharmaceutical Effluent from Owerri, Nigeria, Using the Allium cepa International Journal of Research in Environmental Studies. 5(1):10-17.
- Ibeh, O. O., Okafor, I. A. and Udochi, S. (2018). Heavy Metals’ Analysis of Leachate from Municipal Solid Waste Landfill in Nekede, Nigeria. Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics.
- Ibeh, O. O., Okafor, I. A. and Udochi, S. (2018). Assessment of the Concentration of Heavy Metals in a Municipal Solid Waste Dumpsite Leachate at Nekede, Imo State, Nigeria. ABSU Journal of Environment, Science and Technology. (In press).
- Ibeh, O. O., Okafor, I. A. and Udochi, S. (2018). Heavy Metal Contamination of Soil Due to Leachate Migration from a Landfill at Nekede, Imo State, Nigeria. ABSU Journal of Environment, Science and Technology. (In press).
- Etusim, P. E., Uwom, K. U., Melariri, P. E., Ibeh, O. O., Ogbonnaya, C. I. (2013): A Study on the Toxicity of the ethanol extract of Moringa oleifera seed on Simulium Journal of Biological Sciences and Bioremediation.5 (1): 86-91.
- Ibeh, O. O., Adegoke, J. A. and Okechi, O. O. (2009): Determination of Reassociation Pattern of the Genome of the African fruit bat, Eidolon helvum. Nigerian Biomedical Science Journal. 5(2):16-20.
- Ibeh, O. O., Nwoke, B.E.B., Adegoke, J. A. and Okechi, O. O.(2008): Sibling Species Distribution of the Vectors of Human Onchocerciasis in Southeast Nigeria, Epidemiological Implications and the Control of Onchocerciasis in Nigeria. Journal of Biomedical lnvestigation.6(2):19-23.
- Ibeh, O. O., Nwoke, B.E.B., Adegoke, J. A. and Okechi, O. O. (2007): Geographical Distribution and Seasonal Variation of the Vectors of Human Onchocerciasis in Southeast Nigeria. Journal of Biomedical investigation. 5 (1):27-36.
- Ibeh, O. O., Adegoke, J. A. and Nwoke, B.E.B. (2007): Distribution and Ecology of Breeding Sites of Simulium damnosum s.l. in the south-eastern primary health zone of Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Parasitology. 28(1):32-38.
- Ibeh, O. O., Adegoke, J. A. and Nwoke, B.E.B. (2007): Morphological Differentiation of Vectors of Onchocerciasis in Southeast Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Parasitology.29 (1):61-66.
- Ibeh, O. O., Adegoke, J. A., Nwoke, B.E.B. and Mafuyai. H. B. (2006): Cytospecies Identification of Vectors of Human Onchocerciasis in Southeast Nigeria. African Journal of Biotechnology.5(19):1813-1818.
- Ibeh, O. O., Adegoke, J. A. and Okechi, O. O. (2006): Thermal Stability of the Native DNA of Eidolon helvum. Nigerian Biomedical Science Journal. 2 (3):32-34.
- Ibeh, O. O., Adegoke, J. A., Nwoke, B.E.B. and Mafuyai. H. B. (2005): Sibling Species Distribution of the Vectors of Human Onchocerciasis in Southeast Nigeria and the Epidemiological Pattern of the Disease in Nigeria. Proceedings of the 30th Annual Conference of the Genetics Society of Nigeria.
- Oyenuga, O. O. and Adegoke, J. A. (1990): Thermal Elution of the DNA of Eidolon helvum (Kerr). Proceedings of the 15th Annual Conference of the Genetics Society of Nigeria.