Reader, Department of Biology
Dr Nkechi E. Ahamefula
Dr Nkechi Esther Ahamefula
BSc., MSc., PhD
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Nkechi Esther Ahamefula (nee Onyedineke) is a Reader in the Department of Biology of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State Nigeria. She had her university education at the University of Benin, Benin city Nigeria where she obtained her B.Sc., M.Sc and PhD in Zoology. Her doctoral research was on the ecology and distribution of freshwater catfishes. She had lectured and supervised several undergraduate and graduate student research at the Edo State University and joined FUTO in April 2002. She had served as an administrative head in the department of Biotechnology and in several University committees. Dr Ahamefula had completed several international courses in Aquaculture and also learned the protocols for the identification of North American invertebrates from the Canadian Rivers Institute.
She served as a visiting scientist on sabbatical leave at the University of Rhode Island, USA. She is involved in teaching, supervision of students” projects and Research.
- Project Manager Certificates in the Canadian Aquatic Biomonitoring Network (CABIN) Program. Canadian Rivers Institute, in association with the College of Extended Learning, University of New Brunswick, Canada. May 2013 – Dec 2014.
- Post-Graduate Certificate in Aquaculture: Production and Management. The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot Campus. Israel. 15/12/2003 – 8/1/2004.
- PhD. Zoology, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria. 8th May 1997.
- M.Sc. Zoology, University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria. April 1985.
- B.Sc. Honours. Zoology. University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria. July 1982.
Best Graduating Postgraduate Student, Graduate School, University of Benin, Benin City. 1997.
Membership of professional bodies
- The Nigerian Environmental Society
- International Research Group on Ostracoda (OSTRACON)
- Organization for Women in Science in the Developing World (OWSD)
- Environmental and Water Resources (EWRI of the ASCE)
- Zoological Society of Nigeria (ZSN)
- Member, Nigerian Association for Aquatic Sciences (NAAS)
University of Rhode Island, Rhode Island, United States of America.
- Visiting Scientist on Sabbatical Leave. (2014 – 2015).
- Fisheries Center, Department of Fisheries, Animal and Veterinary Sciences. College of the Environment and Life Sciences.
Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria.
- Reader (Associate Professor) – Teaching, Research, Undergraduate and Postgraduate Supervision. (October 1, 2011 – Present.)
- Senior Lecturer –Teaching, Research, Undergraduate and Postgraduate Supervision, Administrative work. (November 2005 –October 1, 2011).
- Lecturer I – Teaching, Research, Undergraduate and Postgraduate Supervision. (April 2002 – November 2005).
Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma. Edo State, Nigeria.
- Lecturer I – Department of Zoology, – Teaching, Research, undergraduate and postgraduate supervision. (1998 – 2002).
- Lecturer II – – Teaching and Research – 1988 – 1998
- Assistant Lecturer – – Teaching and Research -May 1986 – 1988
University of Benin, Benin City. Nigeria.
- Graduate Assistant – Teaching, Research Assistant-, January 6, 1985 – January 6, 1986.
National Youth Service Corps (NYSC)
- Science Tutor in Biology and Chemistry – Bioku Grammar School, Lanlate. Oyo State, Nigeria. August 20, 1982 – August 19, 1983.
- Acted Head, Department of Biotechnology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri. December 9, 2010 to July 12, 2012.
- Acted Head, Department of Biology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri. October 4 to November 8, 2010.
- Acted Head, Department of Biotechnology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri. July 19 to August 27, 2010.
- Acted Head, Department of Biotechnology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri. June 14 -17, 2010.
- Acted Head, Department of Biotechnology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri. June 8 to July 12, 2009.
- Member, Postgraduate curriculum development, Department of Biological Science.
- Supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students’ seminars and research work.
- Student Registrar and Course Adviser. Department of Biotechnology, FUTO. 2003 – present
- Course Adviser, Final year students. Department of Zoology. Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma. 1986 – 2002.
- Taxonomy, ecology and distribution of Nigerian freshwater ostracods. Aquaculture. Ecotoxicology. Parasitology.
- My research has aimed to investigate the taxonomy, distribution ecology and impacts of environmental activities on aquatic invertebrates and fish.
- Dube S., Onyedineke, N.E. & Aisien, M.S.O., 2013, ‘Ceylonocotyle, Bothriophoron, and Calicophoron species Parasitic in some Nigerian Cattle’, Advances in Bioresearch 4 (2), 38-43.
- Duru, C.M. & Onyedineke, N. E., 2010, ‘In Vitro Study on the Antimicrobial Activity and Phytochemical Analysis of Ethanolic Extracts of the Mesocarp of Voacanga africana’ American Journal of Plant Physiology 5(4), 163 – 169.
- Duru, C.M. & Onyedineke, N. E., 2010, ‘In Vitro Antimicrobial Assay and Phytochemical Analysis of Ethanolic Extracts of Voacanga Africana seeds’, Journal of American Science 6 (6), 119 – 122.
- Mgbemena, I.C., Obiajuru, C., Onyedineke, N.E., Ebe, T., Okeke, U.E. & Udensi, U.J., 2011, ‘Evaluation of bacterial and parasitic load of Clarias species from River Niger and an artificial habitat in Onitsha, Anambra State, Nigeria’, Nigerian Journal of Parasitology 32(1), 117 -122.
- Ofoegbu, P.U. & Onyedineke, N.E., 2011, ‘Fascioliasis in cattle in Nsukka, Enugu State’, International Journal for Environmental Health and Human Development 12 (1), 49-52.
- Ofoegbu, P. U., Onyedineke, N. E., Nwokeji, C., Esie, N. G. & Isibor, N. G., 2012, ‘Laboratory evaluation of ethanolic and methanolic extracts of Ocimum gratissimum against larva of Anopheles gambiae and non-target organisms’, Munis Entomology & Zoology, 8 (1), 185-190.
- Okechukwu, R. I., Onyedineke, N. E., Mgbemena, I.C. & Emejulu, A.A., 2012, ‘Effect of different Cassava varieties on ethanol production’, International Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development. 15(1), 886-890.
- Okechukwu, R.I., Onyedineke, N.E., Mgbemena, I.C., Opara, F.N. & Ukaoma, A.A., 2012, ‘Inhibition of pathogenic microorganisms by ethnobotanical extracts of fruit peels of Musa paradisiaca’, Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2 (4), 1 – 3.
- Okechukwu, R. I., Okereke, J. N., Onyedineke, N. E. & Obi, R. K., 2011, ‘Microbial and nutritional qualities of mushroom’, Asian Journal of Experimental Biological Science. 2(4), 746-749.
- Onyedineke, N.E., 2000, ‘A New species of the genus Parastenocypris (Ostracoda) from Nigeria’, Crustaceana 73 (4), 385- 391.
- Onyedineke, N.E., 2005, ‘The Taxonomy and Distribution of Nigerian catfishes’, Journal of Sustainable Agricultural Research 16, 122-130.
- Onyedineke, N.E., 2007, ‘Aspects of the biology of Chrysichthys furcatus Gunther, 1864) (Siluriformes: Bagridae) in Ikpoba River, Southern Nigeria’, International Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences 3(3), 396-401.
- Onyedineke, N.E., 2008, ‘Aspects of the growth and reproductive biology of Sarotherodon galilaeus (Cichlidae) from the lower Niger River at Illushi, Nigeria’, Advances in Science and Technology 2(2), 93-96.
- Onyedineke, N.E., Azuamuya, L. & Ofoegbu, P.U., 2010, ‘Acute Toxicity Tests of Brewery Effluent on the Ostracoda Strandesia prava Klie, 1935(Crustacea, Ostracoda)’, International Journal of Tropical Agriculture and Food Systems 4(1), 1 – 6.
- Onyedineke, N. E., Nwigwe, H.C. & Emeronye, R. U., 2009, ‘Physical and Chemical hydrology of Abadaba lake, Imo State, Nigeria’, Advances in Science and Technology 3(1), 50-55.
- Onyedineke, N. E; Obi, U.; Ofoegbu, P.U. & Ukogo, I., 2010, ‘Helminth Parasites of some Freshwater Fish from River Niger at Illushi, Edo State, Nigeria’, Journal of American Science 6 (3), 16 – 21.
- Onyedineke, N.E., Odukoya, A.O. & Ofoegbu, P.U., 2010, Acute Toxicity Tests of Rubber and Cassava Effluents on the Ostracoda Strandesia prava Klie, 1935 (Crustacea, Ostracoda)’, Research Journal of Environmental Sciences 4 (2), 166-172.
- Onyedineke, N.E., Otuogbai, T.O.S. & Okoebor, C., 2000, ‘Distribution and some aspects of Morphological Variability in Cyclestheria hislopi (Baird, 1895) (Branchiopoda: Conchostraca) From Agbede, Nigeria’, Tropical Freshwater Biology 9, 67-76.
- Otuogbai, T.O.S., Elakhame. L.A., Onyedineke, N.E. & Erekaife, J.O., 2002, ‘Seasonal changes in the ovary of the African lungfish Protopterus annectens (OWEN) (Pisces, Sarcopterygii) in the Floodplains of River Niger in Etsako East Local Government Area of Nigeria’, Journal of Aquaculture 15 (1), 43-48.
- Otuogbai, T.O.S., Elakhame. L.A., Onyedineke, N.E. & Ofoni, C., 2001, ‘Testicular development in the lungfish Protopterus annectens (OWEN) (Pisces, Sarcopterygii) in the flood plains of River Niger in Udaba- Ekperi in Nigeria’, Journal of Aquaculture 14(2), 73-79.
- Ukogo, I. & Onyedineke, N.E., 2012, ‘Physico-chemical analysis of the upper reaches of the Imo River, Nigeria’, Journal of Aquatic Sciences 27(1), 9 -14.
Aquatic report: Environmental Impact Assessment for the Utorogu Nag wells project; for The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited. HSW – ENVE; SPDC 2003-170b Version: 03.