Reader, Department of Biotechnology
Dr. Ethelbert U. Ezeji
Dr. Ethelbert Uchechukwu Ezeji started his academic career at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka where he obtained a BSc. (Hons), second class upper division in Biochemistry. He has a Master of Science degree in Biotechnology from Federal University of Technology Owerri and a Doctor of Science (Ph.D.) in Environmental Biochemistry from University of Nigeria, Nsukka. His major research works were: Effects of gari diet on marker enzymes of rat liver mitochondria, Utilization of crude oil by microorganisms isolated from crude oil-polluted soil, and Modeling genetic defects as a molecular biomarker in evaluating the environmental impact of dichlorvos on pullet chicks. He has done extensive work on the use of biomarkers to evaluate the impact of different pesticides on non-target animals and has made a number of publications on this. His current research interests are environmental biotechnology, genetic and ecotoxicology. He is an active member of many professional associations including the Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC), West African Society of Toxicology (WASOT), Biotechnology Society of Nigeria (BSN), and Nigeria Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (NSBMB).
- BSc (Hons) Biochemistry (1990) – University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- MSc, Biotechnology (2002) – Federal University of Technology. Owerri
- Certificate in Basic Molecular Biology Techniques for DNA Technology (2006) – Biotechnology Centre, University of Agriculture Abeokuta (UNAAB) October 2006 Summer Course in Practical Biotechnology.
- Certificate in Basic Molecular Biology Techniques (2009) – Nigeria Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) Yaba, Lagos.
- Certificate in Toxicology (2011) – University of Buea, Cameron.
- Ph.D., Environmental Biochemistry (2013) – University of Nigeria, Nsukka
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Biotechnology Society of Nigeria (BSN)
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC)
- West African Society of Toxicology (WASOT)
- Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (NSBMB)
- Genetic Toxicology Association of Nigeria (GTAN)
- Introduction to Biotechnology (BTC 201),
- Methods in Recombinant DNA Technology I (BTC 202),
- Methods in Recombinant DNA Technology II (BTC 306),
- Molecular Genetics (BTC 304), Technical Writing (BTC 411),
- Physiology and Biochemistry of Microorganisms (BTC 413),
- Pharmacology of Natural Products (BTC 401),
- Process Biotechnology I (BTC 501),
- Process Biotechnology II (BTC 502)
- 2005-2008 – Assistant Lecturer, Department of Biotechnology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- 2008-2011 – Lecturer II, Department of Biotechnology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- 2011-2014 – Lecturer I, Department of Biotechnology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
- 2014-2017 – Senior Lecturer, Department of Biotechnology, Federal University of Technology.
- 2017-2021 – Reader, Department of Biotechnology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri
- Environmental Biotechnology/Toxicology
- Environmental Genetic Toxicology
- Pesticide Toxicology
- Use of Biomarkers in Toxicity Tests.
List of peer-reviewed Publications
- U. Ezeji, B.N. Anyanwu, G.O.C. Onyeze and V.I. Ibekwe (2006). Studies on the utilization of hydrocarbon by microorganisms isolated from oil-contaminated soil. International Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences 1(2): 122-128.
- Ibekwe, V.I., Ubochi, K.C. and Ezeji, E.U. (2006). Effects of organic nutrient on microbial utilization of hydrocarbons on crude oil-contaminated soil. African Journal of Biotechnology, 5(10): 983-986.
- Ubochi, K.C., Ibekwe, V.I. and Ezeji, E.U. (2006). Effect of inorganic fertilizer on microbial utilization of hydrocarbons on oil-contaminated soil. African Journal of Biotechnology, 5(17): 1584-1587.
- I. Ibekwe, E.U. Ezeji and C.J. Anurukem (2006). Prevalence of significant bacteriuria and pyuria among adults in Owerri, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Microbiology, 20(3): 1258-1262.
- I. Ibekwe, E.U. Ezeji and C.J. Amadi (2007). Effect of slaughterhouse waste on the quality of Aba River, Abia State, Nigeria. International Journal of Agriculture and Food Systems, 1(2): 102-105
- Uchechukwu E. Ezeji, Sylvia O. Anyadoh and Vincent I. Ibekwe (2007). Clean up of crude oil-contaminated soil. Terrestrial and Aquatic Environmental Toxicology, 1(2): 54-59
- I. Ibekwe, P.I. Azubuike, E.U. Ezeji and E.C. Chinakwe (2008). Effects of Nutrient Sources and Environmental Factors on the Cultivation and Yield of Oyster Mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus). Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 7(2): 349-351.
- N. Nwachukwu, V.I. Ibekwe, R.N. Nwabueze, U. Ezeji, I. Kalu, E.Chnakwe (2008). Production of high-ethanol-yielding Saccharomyces cerevisiae of palm wine origin by protoplast fusion. Life Science Journal, 5(4):64-68.
- U. Ezeji, O. Obidoa, I.G. Kalu and I.N. Nwachukwu (2009). Effect of gari diet on marker enzymes of mice liver mitochondria. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 8(4): 414-418
- Christopher, M, Duru, Uchechukwu, E. Ezeji and Ernest, A. Anyalogbu. (2009). Phytochemical analysis and antimicrobial activity of the bark extract of Voacanga Africana Stapf. Nigeria Journal of Biotechnology, 20: 60-64.
- Ethelbert U. Ezeji, Ernest A. Anyalogbu and Christopher M. Duru (2011). Use of biochemical biomarkers in the ecological risk assessment of Permethrin pesticide exposure. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Sciences 3(1): 014-017.
- Toochukwu E. Ogbulie, U.J. Udensi and E. Ezeji (2011). Telfaira occidentalis aided Rhizoremediation of agricultural soils subjected to different crude oil contaminated levels. International Journal of Tropical Agriculture and Food Systems, 5(1): 1-7.
- Vincent I. Ibekwe and Ethelbert U. Ezeji (2011). Antimicrobial Activity of Leaf and Root Extracts of Parkia biglobosa (African Locust Bean). The African Journal of Plant Science and Biotechnology, 5(1): 70-72.
- O. Ujowundu, F,N, Kalu, L.A. Nwaogu, E.U. Ezeji and K.O. Igwe (2012). Management of Changes in Liver Chemistry in Male rats Acutely Exposed to Crude Petroleum Oil. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, 2(6): 116-120.
- Ethelbert U. Ezeji, Ernest A. Anyalogbu, Tobias N. Ezejiofor, Justina U. Udensi (2012). Determination of Reduced Glutathione and Glutathione S-transferase of Poultry birds exposed to Permethrin Insecticide. American Journal of Biochemistry 2(3): 21-24.
- Ernest A. Anyalogbu, Ethelbert U. Ezeji and Chiaka J. Nwalozie (2013). Phytochemical Screening and Anti-malaria/typhoid fever Activities of Alsotonia boonei (De Wild) Stem Bark Powder. Medicinal and Aromatic Plant Science and Biotechnology, 7(1): 65-67.
- Tobias I. Ndubuisi Ezejiofor, A.N. Ezejiofor, A.C. Udebuani, U. Ezeji, E.A. Anyalogbu, C.O. Azuwuike, L.A. Adjero, C.E. Ihejirika, C.O. Ujowundu, L.A. Nwaogu and K.O. Ngwogu (2013). Environmental metals pollutants load of a densely populated and heavily industrialized commercial city of Aba, Nigeria. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Sciences, 5(10) : 1-11.
- U. Ezeji, T.E. Ogbulie, I.N.E. Onwurah and C.O. Ujowundu (2014). Effects of Dichlorvos on Reduced Glutathione, Glutathione S-transferase and Lipid peroxidation of Egg-laying Hens. International Journal of Chemical and Biological Sciences 1(1): 46-49.
- Kalu, O. Obasi, Enemchukwu, S, Okereke, J.N., Ezeji, E.U. and Oparaigbo, M.I. (2015). Analysis of Heavy Metals concentration in Prawn (Macrobrachium Sp.) harvested from Gberikoko River, in Sapele Delta State, Nigeria. The International Journal of Science & Technoledge, 3(8): 285-288.
- Kalu O. Obasi, K. Chinedu, Udebuani, A.C., Okereke, J.N., Ezeji, E.U. and Anyadoh N.S. (2015). The concentration of Cadmium, Lead, Arsenic and Mercury in the soft tissue of periwinkle (Tympanotonos fuscatus Radula) in Eagle Inland River, River State, Nigeria, International Journal of Science and Technology, 4(10): 474-478.
- Kalu O. Obasi, K. Chinedu, Udebuani, A.C., Okereke, J.N., Ezeji, E.U. and Anyadoh N.S. (2015). Study on the concentration of selected heavy metals: Cadmium, Lead, Arsenic and Mercury in the soft tissue of periwinkle (Tympanotonos fuscatus Radula) harvested from Brass Inland River, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. International Journal of Science and Technology, 4(10): 451-457
- Ahamefula, Augustus Kelechi and Ezeji, Ethelbert Uchechukwu (2015). Mechanism of microbial resistance to known antibiotics, Science Journal of Public Health, 4(10): 451-457.
- Okereke, J.N., Udebuani, A.C., Ezeji, E.U., Obasi, K.O. and Nnoli, M.C. (2015). Possible Health Implications Associated with cosmetics: A review. Science Journal of Public Health, 3(5-1): 58-63.
- Okereke, J,N., Obasi, K.O., Nwadike, P.O., Ezeji, E.U. and Udebuani, A.C. (2015). Geo-helminthes Associated with pupils in selected schools in Oyi, Anambra State. Science Journal of Public Health. 3(5-1): 45-50.
- Ethelbert Uchechukwu Ezeji, Dominica Ogueri, Angela Chika Udebuani, Josephath N. Okereke and Kalu, O. Obasi (2015). Effect of Dichlorvos on the fertility of adult male albino rats, Nature and Science. 13(12): 1-5.
- Udebuani, A.C., Obasi, K.O., Ezeji, E.U., Okereke, J.N., Anyadoh, S.O., Dike-Ndudim, J.N., and Enekwe, E.C. (2015). Effects of anthropogenic activities on soil carbon storage and compactness in coastal plain soil of the tropical urban area, International Journal of Scientific and Engineering Research, 6(11): 1436-1448.
- Ethelbert Uchechukwu Ezeji, Angela Chika Udebuani, Josephath Okereke, Sylvia Anyadoh-Nwadike, Ikechukwu N.E. Onwurah and Kalu Obasi (2016). Effect of Dichlorvos on Reproductive Performance of Laying hens. Journal of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, 8(4): 34-37.
- Ethelbert U. Ezeji, Ikechukwu N.E. Onwurah, and Angela C. Udebuani (2016). DNA-based assay for pesticides in the environment. International Journal of Sciences, 5(7): 28-33.
- Akujobi, Campbell Onyeka, Anuforo, Henry Uzoma, Ogbulie, Toochukwu Ekwutosi, and Ezeji, Ethelbert Uchechukwu (2017). Study on Generation of Bioelectricity Using Potassium Ferricyanide Electron Acceptor in Microbial Fuel Cell. Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering 2(1): 5-13.
- Henry Uzoma Anuforo, Toochukwu Ekwutosi Ogbulie, Campell Onyeka Akujobi, Ethelbert Uchechukwu Ezeji (2017). Study on the use of Microbial fuel Cell as a waste management option to generate electricity from piggery wastewater. Analcic Universitatii din Oradea, Fascicula Biologie, Tom. XXIV (1): 40-47.
- Ethelbert U. Ezeji and Ikechukwu N.E. Onwurah (2017). Biochemical Effects of Dichlorvos on the liver of poultry birds (Gallus domestica). American Journal of Biochemistry 7(2): 23-26.
- Ujowundu, C.O., Nnanna, C.G., Ndubuisi, E.U., Ngwu, P.C., Uzoma, C.W. and Ezeji, E.U. (2017). Glyphosate-Based Pesticide-Induced Changes in Hepatic and Renal Tissues of Clarias gariepinus. FUTO Journal Series 3(1): 225-235
- Udebuani, A.C., Ezeji, E.U., Agu, R.C., Onwurah, I.N.E. and Abara, P.N. (2018). Bioavailability and Genotoxicity of glyphosate treated soil on Archachatina marginata. Nature and Science, 16(7): 119-125.
- Ahamefule, A.K. and Ezeji, E.U. (2019).Cytotoxic and genotoxic effects of textile effluent dilution on Zea mays (Maize plant). International Research Journal of Environmental Sciences, 8(2): 1-7.
- Ezeji, E. U., Anyanwu C. O., Onyeocha I. O., Chukwudi, P. Ukaoma A. A. and Ukwandu N. C. D. (2019). Effects Of Physical Parameters and Algorithm of Petroleum Hydrocarbons Utilization By Some Bacterial Isolates From Bonny, Rivers State Nigeria. International Journal of Advanced Research (IJAR), 7(9): 1169-1177.
- Ezeji, E.U. and Chukwudi, P. (2019) Effects of Mixtures of Lambda-Cyhalothrin and Dimethoate on Liver and Antioxidant Enzyme Systems of Adult Male Albino Rats. FUTO Journal Series, 5(1): 228-235.
- E. U. Ezeji, C.O Anyanwu, N.C.D. Ukwandu (2019). Evaluation of Heavy Metals and Physicochemical Parameters of Oil-contaminated Soil and Water Samples from Bonny, South-South, Nigeria. Archives of Current Research International, 19(2): 1-11.
- S. N Alozie, and E.U. Ezeji (2019). Acute Toxicity of Fingerlings of Clarias gariepinus exposed to Glyphosate and 2, 4 dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. International Journal of Research and Scientific Innovation (IJRSI), 6 (9): 146- 150.
- Ibeto, A., Onyeocha, I. O., Ezeji, E. U., Anyanwu, C. O., Ahumibe, N. C. & Ukwandu, N. C. D. (2019). Phytochemical and Antimicrobial Analysis of Crude Extracts of Spondias mombin and Neubouldia leaves against Isolates of High Vaginal Swabs. FUTO Journal Series, 5(2): 212-226.
- Ferdinand U. Paschaline, Onyeocha O. Ignatius, Ezeji E. Uchechukwu, Ukwandu C.D. Nnamdi, Engwa A. Godwill and Oparaji E. Henry (2019). Production and Characterization of Hydrocarbon Degrading Peroxidase from Rhizopus and Saccharomyces Species. American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 15(4): 218-229.
- Henry Uzuoma Anuforo, Campbell Onyeka Akujobi, Ethelbert Uchechukwu Ezeji, and Confidence Chiamaka Okehi (2019). Impact of vehicular traffic on concentrations of heavy metals in cassava tubers harvested from roadside in Owerri. Food and Environment Safety, 18(4): 272-278.
- P. Chukwudi, E.U. Ezeji, C.A. Nduka, C.O. Anyanwu, P.U. Ferdinand, and N.C.D.Ukwandu (2020). Effects of mixtures of lamda-cyhalothrin and dimethoate on the reproductive competence of adult male albino rats. International Journal of Chemical and Biological Sciences. 19(2020): 81-85.
- Paschaline U. Ferdinand, Ignatius O. Onyeocha, Ethelbert U. Ezeji, Peter Chukwudi, Godwill A. Engwa (2020). Biodegradation of hydrocarbons in a crude-oil polluted soil using peroxidase from fungal di-culture of Rhizopus and Saccharomyces spp. Journal of Biotech Research, 11: 187-196.