Lecturer I, Department of Biotechnology
Mrs. Catherine O. Azuwike
Catherine Ogechi Azuwike lectures full-time in the Department of Biotechnology at Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State. She obtained her B.Sc. in Microbiology at the Abia State University, Uturu in 1993 and M.Sc. in Environmental Health Biology at FUTO in 2005. She is currently concluding her Ph.D. program in Microbiology at ABSU. Her research interest is on Environmental Management and Microbiology. She is a member of such professional bodies as Nigerian Society for Microbiology, (NSM), Foundation of African Development through Biotechnology (FADIB); Biotechnology Society of Nigeria (BSN) and Organization for Women in Science for Developing World (OWSD). She has co-authored publications in both local and international journals, apart from serving as an Academic Adviser in the department from (2013 till date), she has supervised many undergraduate research projects in Biotechnology, presented papers and attended many conferences and workshops. She lives in Owerri, Nigeria, with her family.
List of Academic & Professional Qualifications with dates
- Ph.D. (Microbiology) (In-view);
- M.Sc. (Environmental Health Biology) (2005),
- National Youth Service Certificate (1994-1995),
- B.Sc. (Microbiology) (1993);
- WASCE (1986-1987);
- FSLC (1981).
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Nigerian Society of Microbiology (NSM)
- Member, Biotechnology Society of Nigeria (BSN)
- Secretary, Women in Science for Developing World, (OWSD) FUTO Chapter
Course Code and Courses assigned to teach
- BTC 303 (Cell Biology),
- BTC 407 ( Comparative Virology),
- BTC 511 (Bio-resources Management,
- BTC 517 (Plant Physiology)
- BTC 514 (Seed Plant);
- Lecturer I,
- BTC 312 (Embryology)
- Assistant Lecturer Biotechnology Dept. FUTO (6th April – 30th September, 2002)
- Lecturer II, Biotechnology Dept., FUTO (1st October 2012 – 30th 2015)
- Lecturer I, Biotechnology Dept. FUTO (1st October 2015 – till date)
- Microbiology Quality Control Analysts, Encristo Pharmaceutical Company, Enugu (1996-1999).
- Microbiology Quality Control Analysts Mikerson Pharmaceutical Company, Owerri (1999-2000)
- Microbiology and Environmental Management
List of peer-reviewed Publications
- Azuwike, C.O., Ahumibe, N.C., Mgbemena, I.C., Nwanaforo, M. and Braide, W. (2020). Hydrocarbon degradation potential by soil bacteria using vapor-phase and spectrophotometric methods. International Journal of Advanced Research in Biological Sciences, 7(4):116-125. ISSN: 2348-8069.
- Azuwike C.O., Ekwerike, C.U., Ajuruchi, V.C. and Braide, W. (2019). Antibacterial Susceptibility Pattern of Biofilm Producing Bacteria Isolated from Packaged Drinking Water Sold in Owerri Metropolis, Imo State, Nigeria. European Journal of Pharmaceutical and Medical Research, 6(3)33-38. ISSN 2394-3211.
- Azuwike Catherine O. Ihejirika Chinedu E, Ajuruchi Vivian Maria C, Ononiwu Ezinne Z. (2015). Antibacterial and Antifungal Potentials of Extract of Caladium Biolor (Spotted Cocoyam) Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Healthcare. ISSN (Paper) 2224 – 3208 ISSN (online) 2225-093x.
- Ogoamaka, Ann. I. and Azuwike Catherine O. (2015). Microorganisms and Man.. in: Ogbulie, T.E. and Nwakanma C. (ed), Essential Analytical Methods in Biotechnology. WEBS Media Communication Ltd Owerri, Imo State.
- N. Okechi, C.O. Azuwike, J.C. Nnokwe, N. Chiegboka, N. Ukagwu and F.N. Ezenekwe. (2015) mycological Contamination of Snuff Sold in Local Market in Imo State. Nigeria. International Journal of Environmental Health and Human Development. 15(2).
- Ogbulie T.E., Nwanjo, G.O. and Azuwike, C.O. (2015). Culture-Based and Molecular Detection of the Microbial Quality of Borehole Water used in some Hostels in Ihiagwa, Imo State. Nigeria Journal of Microbiology (29) 3116-3126 nsmjournal.org.
- Tobias I.N. Ezejiofor, A.N. Ezejiofor, A.C. Udebuani, E.U. Ezeji, E.A. Anaylogbu C.O. Azuwike, L.A. Adjero, G.E. Ihejirika, C.O. Ujowundu, L.A. Nwaogu and K.O. Nwogu. (2013): Environmental Metals Pollutants Load of a Densely Populated and Heavily Industrialized Commercial City of Aba, Nigeria, Journal of Technology and Environmental Health Science. ISSN 2006-9820 (online) 5(1):1-11. http://www.academic Journals.org/JTEHS.
- Okechukwu R.I.OparaF.N. Iwu, G.I., Tony Chiegboka N.A. Amaka, G.E. and Azuwike C.O., (2012). Processing and Characteristics of Soya Bean Oil for Biodiesel. International Journal of Applied Biotechnology and Biochemistry. ISSN 2248-9886 2(3):255-263.
- Azuwike C.O, (2011). Public Health Implications of Aspects of Fashion. In Onuoha J.I (ed.). Issues in Contemporary Social Discourse. Liu House of Excellence Owerri.
- Ihejirika, C.E; Ogbulie, J.N., Nwabueze, R.N., Orji, J.C., Ihejirika, O.C., Adieze, I.E., Azuwike, O.C., and Ibe, I.J. (2011). Seasonal Influence on the distribution of Bacteria Pathogens and Waterborne Diseases Transmission Potentials of Imo River, Nigeria. Journal of Research in Biology, 1(3):163-172.
- Ihejirika, C.E; Ogbulie, J.N., Ihejirika, O.C., Azuwike, O.C., and Ibe, I.J. (2011). “Contributory pattern of Papermill effluents on the population and distribution of Enteric pathogens in Owerrinta River Eastern Nigeria”. International Journal of Bioscience ISSN 2220-6655 1(4):74-79.
- Okechukwu R.I., Mgbemana., I.C., Tony Egboka, N.A., Azuwike, C.O., L.A. Adjeroh and F.N. Opara (2011). Microorganisms Associated with the Fermented and Non-Fermented African Oil Bean “Ugba” (Pentaclethra marcophylla Benth) Current Trends in Microbiology, 7:87-92.
- Okechi, R.N., Chukwura, E.I., Azuwike C.O., and Ihejirika, C.E. (2011). The Impact of Cassava Mill Efficient on the total aerobic bioload and physicochemical properties of the Soil. Journal of Biodiversity and Environmental Science (JBES). 1(6):112-117. ISSN 2220-6663 (print) 2222-3045 (Online) http://www.innspub.net.