Lecturer II, Department of Biotechnology
Mrs Chinonyelum Ogwunga
I am a lecture in the Department of Biotechnology, Federal University of Technology Owerri. I am currently running my PhD program in the University of Benin, obtained my Master of Science in Biotechnology from Glasgow Caledonian University, Scotland, United Kingdom and Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLS) from Madonna University Elele Campus. I specialized in animal Biotechnology and interested in Regenerative Medicine (Stem Cell) research which is a promising field that can be used for the restoration of structure and function of damaged tissues and organs. I also have a keen interest in Animal Biotechnology which involves the application of genetic engineering in the modification of living organism. I am a member of some professional association including; Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria, Association of Medical Laboratory Scientist Nigerian, Foundation of African Development through International Biotechnology (FADIB) and Organization of Women in Science for Developing World (OWSD). I have attended some workshop training and conferences and have some publications with foreign journals.
- MSc. Biotechnology – Jan. 2013
- GLASGOW CALEDONIAN UNIVERSITY GLASGOW, SCOTLAND
- Concentrations: Molecular Aspect of Medicine, Biomolecular Studies, Microbial Biotechnology, Molecular and Plant Biotechnology, Integrated Cell biology, Biomolecular microbiology and Skills for Professional Bioscience Practice.
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science – Sept. 2009
- MADONNA UNIVERSITY ELELE RIVERS STATE, NIGERIA
- Concentration: Haematology, Clinical Chemistry, Medical Microbiology, and Histopathology.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria
- Association of Medical Laboratory Scientist Nigerian
- Foundation of African Development through International Biotechnology (FADIB)
- Organization of Women in Science for Developing World (OWSD)
Courses Assigned to Teach
BTC 303, BTC 403, BTC 517, BTC 513, BTC 202 and BTC 306
- Lecturer – June 2014- Present
- Federal University of Technology Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria.
- As a Lecturer, I teach undergraduate students courses which include; Cell Biology, Methods in Recombinant DNA Technology, Cell and Tissue Culture, Plant Gene Transfer and Plant Physiology in the Department of Biotechnology. I also supervise undergraduate seminars, project works and assist in Laboratory practicals. In summary, as an academic I teach, do research and community development.
- Medical Laboratory Scientist (NYSC) – March 2013 – March 2014
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Enugu State Nigeria
- Assigned to the microbiology department where I assisted students in their practicals and research work as well as carried out a medical analysis on patients’ samples.
- Intern Medical Scientist – Jan. 2011 – Jan. 2012
- Majored in chemical pathology where the analysis was based on the biochemistry of the body and disease condition such as diabetes, liver disease as well as lipid level. These were done using techniques such as Elisa, immunocytochemistry, enzymes activity (using glucose oxidase and glycated haemoglobin to assay for diabetes). Also passed through other sections of the laboratory which include: Microbiology, Hematology and Histopathology during my internship.
Areas of Research Interest/Specialization
Animal Biotechnology, Regenerative Medicine (Stem Cell), Malaria and Cervical Cancer.
List of peer-reviewed Publications
- Okoro, C.I., Ihenetu, F.C., Ogwunga, C.C. & Dunga K.E. 2017, “Study on the Antibacterial Properties of Probiotic Bacteria Isolated from Human Breast Milk”, Journal of Scientific Research and Studies, Vol. 4(10), pp. 264-268.
- Ogwunga, C.C., Ahumibe, N.C., Ogwunga, J.N & Iwunze, F.N. 2019, “Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices Towards Malaria Prevention among Pregnant Women Attending Federal Medical Centre Owerri,” International Journal for Research and Development in Technology, Vol 12(2), PP. 73-85.
- Ogwunga, C.C., Anyadoh-Nwadike, S.O., Ahumibe, N.C. & Nwakwasi, E.U. Knowledge and Attitude of Female Students of Tertiary Institutions in Imo State, Nigeria Towards Cervical Cancer and Its Screening, Journal of Community Health (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-020-00892-y