Reader, Microbiology Department
Dr Mrs Chinwe I. Chikwendu
Dr Chinwe Chikwendu got her first degree in Microbiology in 1989 from the prestigious University of Benin, Benin City, Edo State, with a Second Class (HONS) Upper Degree. She went on to earn her PhD from the University of Portharcourt, Choba, Rivers State Nigeria. She joined the Department of Microbiology in 2002 and is currently an Associate Professor of Microbiology.
She is an active and senior member of the Department and has held many responsibilities including Student Academic Adviser, Departmental Examination Officer, Course Coordinator and currently the Departmental Post Graduate Coordinator. She has also served as a member of different committees including Curriculum Development and Departmental Appraisal committees. These are all in addition to her teaching, research and community development responsibilities.
Dr Chikwendu’s current research interests are in the areas of antimicrobial resistance in both clinical and environmental bacterial isolates, including mechanisms of resistance, resistance factors and alternative antimicrobial chemotherapy, particularly as they relate to public health and the environment. She has attended many conferences and workshops, both local and international. She believes very strongly in the education of the girl child and guiding her in her process of becoming what God has purposed for her, giving her a voice and a platform, even to taking her place among her peers and contributing her quota to the development of her environment She is a bible believing Christian who believes that Jesus Christ is Lord and Saviour, and that guides her actions and life.
Dr Chikwendu is happily married with children.
- PhD Environmental Microbiology, Portharcourt, 2012
- MSc Industrial Microbiology, FUTO, 2005
- MBA Project management FUTO, 1997
- BSc Microbiology (HONS), Benin, 1989
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Member, Nigerian Society for Microbiology (NSM)
- Member, Society for Applied Microbiology (SfAM)
- Member, American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- Member, Organisation for Women in Science in the Developing World (OWSD)
- Member, Nigerian Environmental Society (NES)
I’ve been involved in teaching so many courses at the undergraduate level at different times including:
- MCB 201: General Microbiology 1
- MCB 202: General Microbiology 2
- MCB 301: Bacteriology
- MCB 305 Introductory Virology
- MCB 302: Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- MCB 308: Microbial Genetics and Molecular Biology
- MCB 411: pathogenic Microbiology
- MCB 409: Genetic Engineering
- MCB 405: Microbial Physiology and Metabolism
- MCB 515: Public Health Microbiology and Epidemiology
- MCB 519: Biodegradation and Bioremediation
From 2002 to date, Lecturer, Department of Microbiology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State.
- Medical microbiology
- Public Health Microbiology
- Environmental microbiology
- C. I. Chikwendu, C. E. Okere, R. K. Obi and N. U. Nwogwugwu (2019). The Effect of Moringa oleifera and Ocimum gratissimum Essential Oils and Extracts on Antimicrobial Resistant Enterobacteriaceae from Environmental Sources. Journal of Advances in Microbiology 19(4): 1-9
- A. C. Ifediora, R. N. Nwabueze, E. S. Amadi and C. I. Chikwendu (2019). Methicillin and Inducible Clindamycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus Isolates from Clinical Samples in Abia State. Microbiology Research Journal International 29(4): 1-9
- Chikwendu, C. I. (2018). Microbe-Human Interactions In: Amadi, E. S., Ugbogu, O. C. and Ogugbue, C. J. (Eds) Principles of General Microbiology (1st Edn). WEBSmedia Communications Ltd. Owerri, pp519-545
- Chikwendu, C. I., Obi, R. K., Okeke, J. A. and Amdi, E. S. (2018). Comparative Antimicrobial Studies of Loranthus micranthus (African Mistletoe) from Different Host Trees against Urinary tract Infectious Bacterial Isolates FUTO Journal Series 4(2): 189-201
- Chikwendu, C. I., Obi, R. K., Amadi, E. S., Shenge, J. A. and Ogbulie, J. N. (2018). Prevalence of Hepatitis B Surface Antigen among Healthy Asymptomatic Students of a Tertiary Institution in South Eastern Nigeria FUTO Journal Series 4(1): 255-262
- Obi, R. K., Shenge, J. A., Chikwendu, C. I., Amadi, E. S. and Ogbulie, J. N. (2018). Risk factors and Ser – Prevalence of Hepatitis C Virus Antibody among Undergraduate Students of Federal University of Technology, Owerri FUTO Journal Series 4(1): 326-333
- Chikwendu, C. I., Egbadon, E. O., Amadi, E. S., Ibe, S. N. and Okpowasili, G. C. (2017). Beta-Lactamase genes in multi-Resistant Aeromonas spp. Isolated from River and Aquaculture Water Sources in Nigeria. Nig. J. Microbiol. 31(2): 3970-3978
- Chikwendu, C. I., Ikeme, C. O. and Amadi, E. S. (2017). Efflux Activity in Multi-drug Resistant Enterococci from Environmental Samples. FUTO Journal Series (3): 187-199
- Chikwendu, C. I., Ikeme, C. O., Egbadon, E. O. and Amadi, E. S. (2017). Antimicrobial-resistant Enterococci Isolated from Aquaculture (Fishpond) in Owerri, Imo State Nigeria. Nig. J. Microbiol. 31(1): 3775-3781
- Ohalete, C. N., Obiajuru, I. O. C., Chikwendu, C. I., Nwabueze, R. N., Amadi, E. S., Okorondu, S. I., Nwaofor, C. N., and Nwaehiri, U. I. (2016). The Effects of Medicinal plant Extracts on extended Spectrum Beta-Lactamase producing Bacterial Isolates. Nig. J. Microbiol. 30(2): 3572-3579
- Onyido, A. E., Dike, J. O., Obiukwu, M. O., Amadi, E. S. and Chikwendu, C. I. (2016). Man-Biting Mosquitoes in a Tropical Rainforest Zone of Nigeria. Nig. J. Microbiol. 30(2): 3452-3458
- Chikwendu, Chinwe I., Egbadon, Emmanuel O., and Okuma Blessing. (2016). Antibacterial Potentials of Vernonia amygdalina against Antibiotic-Resistant Salmonella Specie Isolated from Nworie River, Imo State, Nigeria. Intl. Letters of Natural Sciences. 56: 82-89
- Chikwendu, C. I., Obi, R. K. and Amadi, E. S. (2015). Assessment of the microbiological status of some commercial yoghurt brands sold in Owerri metropolis, Imo State, Nigeria. Nig. J. Microbiol. 28: 2872-2877
- Ikemeh, C. O., Chikwendu, C. I. and Amadi, E. S. (2015). Antimicrobial resistance in Enterococci isolated from poultry in Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria. Nig. J. Microbiol. 28: 2860-2871
- C. I. Chikwendu, S. N. Ibe and G. C. Okpokwasili. (2014). Multiple Antimicrobial Resistance in Vibrio spp Isolated from River and Aquaculture Water Sources in Imo State, Nigeria. British Microbiology Research Journal 4(5): 560-569.
- I. L. Nwosu, E. S. Amadi, C. E. Nwanyanwu, C. I. Chikwendu, C. L. Madu (2014). The prevalence of extended beta-lactamase (ESBLs) among Escherichia coli and Klebsiella species urinary isolates from Abia State University Teaching Hospital (ABSUTH), Aba, Abia State Nigeria. Intl J. Microbiol. Mycol. 2(3). 20-28
- Chikwendu, C. I. and Orji, J. C. (2013). Climate change and increases in an infectious spread. A paper presented at the 2nd Africa Regional Conference of the Organisation for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD), held in Sunyani, Ghana, 15th – 18th October 2013. 2nd Africa Regional Conference Technical proceedings, 485 -495
- Orji, J. C. and Chikwendu, C. I. (2013). Harnessing microbial resources for energy production. A paper presented at the 2nd Africa Regional Conference of the Organisation for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSD), held in Sunyani, Ghana, 15th – 18th October 2013. 2nd Africa Regional Conference Technical proceedings, 102 – 118
- Amadi, E. S., Oguoma, O. I., Ibekwe, V. I., Abanobi, S. E., Chikwendu, C. I. and Egbadon, O. E. (2013). Prevalence and the Effect of Plant Extracts on Community-Associated Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria. Journal of Research in Biology 3(4): 967-976.
- Amechi B.O., Osagie R.N. and Chikwendu C.I. (2012). Evaluation of False Positivity and Cross-Reactivity in the Investigation of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Antibodies. International Journal of Community Research. 1(2): 54-59.
- F. C. Nwanebu, R. K. Obi and C. I. Chikwendu. (2011). Implications of Parasitosis as a Healthcare Index Among Indigenes of Umueze 11 Community, Ehime Mbano. International Journal for Environmental Health and Human Development. 12(2): 20-24.
- Onyido, A. E., Amadi, E. S., Olofin, I., Onwimma, A. A., Okoh, I. C. and Chikwendu, C. I. (2011). Prevalence of Entamoeba gingivalis and Trichomonas tenax among Dental Patients Attending Federal School of Dental Technology and Therapy Clinic, Enugu, Nigeria. Nature and Science 9(9): 59-62.
- Chikwendu, C. I., S. N. Ibe and G. C. Okpokwasili. (2011). Detection of blaSHV and blaTEM Beta-lactamase Genes in Multi-resistant Pseudomonas Isolates from Environmental Sources. African Journal of Microbiology Research 5(15): 2067-2074.
- Amadi, E. S., Ononiwu, C. E., Aballa, N., Oladimeji, S.A., Sofoluwe, K. B., Omale, J. J., Anake, F. A., Chikwendu, C. I. and Onyido, A. E. (2011). Hepatitis B and C Virus Co-infection among Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infected Patients in Enugu Nigeria. New York Science Journal. 4(6): 72-76.
- F. C. Nwanebu, O. A. Ojiako, R. K Obi, C. I. Chikwendu and C. R. Igwiro. (2011). Microbial Succession in Meat Spoilage. International Journal for Environmental Health and Human Development. 12(1): 33-38.
- Obi, R. K., Nwanebu, F. C., Chikwendu, C. I., Ndubuisi-Nnaji, U. U., Okangba, C. C., Orji, N. M. (2011). Concurrent Parasitosis in the Liver of Seropositive HIV Patients. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 5(5): 599-609.
- Chikwendu, C. I., Amadi, E. S. and Obi, R. K. (2010). Prevalence and Antimicrobial Resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Klebsiella pneumoniae Isolated from Non-Clinical Urine Samples. New York Science Journal 3(1): 194-200.
- Chikwendu, C.I. (2010). Vancomycin and Methicillin Resistance in Staphylococcus aureus isolated from Animal Wastes and Aquatic Samples. A paper presented at the 18th Annual Conference/Workshop of the Foundation for African Development through International Biotechnology (FADIB), held in Enugu, 23rd – 26th November 2010. 18:127-131.
- O. C. N. Ndukwe and C. Chikwendu (2010). Bioleaching of Silica-Sand with the Fungi Fusarium oxysporium, Penicillium notatum, Aspergillus niger and Rhizopus. Advances in Science and Technology. 4 (2): 125-130.
- Ogueke, C. C., Chikwendu, C. I., Iwouno, J. O and Ogbulie, J. N. (2010). Effects of Crude Ethanol Extract of Nauclea latifolia on some Clinical Isolates of Food Importance and its Toxicological Potentials. New York Science Journal. 3 (9): 97-105.
- Orji, J. C., Nwabueze, R. N., Chikwendu, C. and Ogwude, D. (2009). Effects of Phenolic Compounds on Periplasmic Nitrate reductase and Dehydrogenase Enzymes of Escherchia sp. TWOWS Regional Conference Proceedings, 499 – 508.
- Chikwendu, C. I., Anyanwu, B. N. and Nwabueze, R. N. (2008). Antibiotic resistance profile of Escherichia coli from clinically healthy pigs and their commercial farm environments. African Journal of Microbiology Research 2: 012 – 017.
- Dozie, I. N. S., Chukwuocha, U. M., Nwoke, B. E. B., Anosile, J. C., Ukaga, C., Obiukwu, C. U., Onwuliri. C. O. E., Chikwendu, C. I., Nwanguma, B. C., Njemanze, P. C. and Okoro, I. C. (2007). Satellite technology and the control of parasitic diseases in Africa: An overview. Nigerian Journal of Parasitology 28 (1): 47 – 53.
- I. N. S. Dozie, C. O. E. Onwuliri, B. E. B. Nwoke, U. M. Chukwuocha, C. I. Chikwendu, I. Okoro and P. C. Njemanze (2006). Onchocerciasis and epilepsy in parts of the Imo River basin, Nigeria: A preliminary report. Public Health 120 (5): 448 – 450.