Assistant Lecturer, Microbiology Department
Mr Chima C. Ngumah
Mr Chima Ngumah has been involved in designing, developing, and executing many research projects in different areas of microbiology; with a special interest in environmental microbiology, agricultural microbiology, industrial microbiology, food microbiology, and microbial ecology. Recently, he has been working on: improving bio methanation of bio-wastes, microbial nitrogen fixation, developing novel techniques, and on microbial interactions and response dynamics.
- B.Sc. (Microbiology) – 2000
- M.Sc. (Industrial Microbiology) – 2010
- Member, Nigerian Society for Microbiology (NSM)
- Member, American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
- Member, International Natural Hygiene Society (INHS)
- Member, World Environmental Organization (WEO)
- Member, International Society for Infectious Diseases (ISID)
- Member, Ocean Futures Society, USA (OFS)
- Member, British Science Association (BSA)
Federal University of Technology Owerri (Academic Staff)
Environmental, Industrial, Food and Applied Microbiology – Bioenergy, Agricultural Microbiology, Process Optimization.
- (2009): Ogbulie J.N.; Ibe, I.J.; and Ngumah, C.C. The Microbial Associates of Unexpired and Expired Paediatric Syrups. Nigerian Journal of Microbiology. 23(1): 1816-1820.
- (2012): Chima Ngumah. Antifungal Potencies of Leaf Extracts of Carica papaya on Fungi Implicated in Soft Rot of Yam. Annals. Food Science and Technology. 13(2): 202-209.
- (2013): Chima Ngumah, Jude Ogbulie, Justina Orji, Ekperechi Amadi. Potential of Organic Waste for Biogas and Biofertilizer Production in Nigeria. Journal of Environmental Research, Engineering and Management. 63(1): 60 – 66.
- (2013): Chima Ngumah. Biomethanation of Gastro-Intestinal Content of Slaughtered Beef Cattle: A Viable Waste Management Option for Abattoirs. Journal of Applied Technology in Environmental Sanitation. 3(3): 129-134.
- (2013): Chima Ngumah, Jude Ogbulie, and Justina Orji. Antifungal Potencies of Leaf Extracts of Glyphaea brevis and Spondias mombin on Fungi Implicated in Dry Rot of Yam. Annals. Food Science and Technology, 14(2): 330-335.
- (2013): Chima Ngumah, Jude Ogbulie, Justina Orji, Ekperechi Amadi. Biomethanation of Carpet Grass (Axonopus fissifolius). Journal of Environmental Research, Engineering and Management, 66(4): 34–37.
- (2013): Chima Ngumah, Jude Ogbulie, Justina Orji, Ekperechi Amadi. Effects of Initiating Anaerobic Digestion of Layer Hen Poultry Dung at sub-atmospheric Pressure. Ambiente & Agua – An Interdisciplinary Journal of Applied Science, 8(3): 33-42.
- (2015): Chima Ngumah, Jude Ogbulie, Justina Orji, Ekperechi Amadi. Impact of Dry/Wet Seasons on Biogasification of Abattoir Waste in Owerri (Nigeria). Annals. Food Science and Technology, 16(2): 236-241.
- (2015): Chima Ngumah, Sarah Umeh, Etienne Chinakwe, Jane Ngumah. Antifungal Potencies of Ethanol Leaf Extracts of Four Plants Found Around Traditional Yam Barns in South Eastern Nigeria on Five Yam Pathogens Implicated in Postharvest Yam Rot. The All Results Journals, 2(6): 24-29.
- (2016): Chima Ngumah, Sarah Umeh, Etienne Chinakwe, Nnenna Onyemekara, Jane Ngumah, MaryJoan Ngumah. Antibacterial Activities of Dried Leaf Extracts of Carica papaya, Pterocarpus soyauxii, and Vernonia amygdalina on Clinical Isolates of Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumonia, Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus subtilis. Annals of West University of Timisoara, ser. Biology, 19(1): 35 – 40.
- (2017): Chima Ngumah, Jude Ogbulie, Justina Orji, Ekperechi Amadi, Christian Nweke, Jude Allino. Optimizing Biomethanation of a Lignocellulosic Biomass using Indigenous Microbial Cellulases Systems. Bio-Technologia, 98(3): 245 – 255.
- (2018): Justina Orji, Chima Ngumah, Hanna Asor, Anulika Anuonyemere. Effects of Cobalt and Manganese on Biomass and Nitrogen Fixation Yields of a Free-Living Nitrogen Fixer – Azotobacter chroococum. European Journal of Biological Research, 8(1): 7 – 13.
- (2018): Chris Nwoko, Chinwe Ngumah, Chinedu Ihejirika, Chima Ngumah. Arbuscular Mycorrhizal Fungi Diversity in Selected Heavy Metal Contaminated Soils in Owerri Nigeria. Research & Reviews: Journal of Ecology and Environmental Sciences, 5(4): 38 – 45.
- (2019): Ngumah, C; Orji, J; Akubuokwuoma, J; and Anoliefoh, U. Impacts of Different Concentrations of Copper and Zinc on in vitro Responses of Azotobacter chroococum in Biomass and Nitrogen Fixing Outputs. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Contamination, 13(1): 79 – 83.
- (2019): Chinakwe, Etienne; Mberede, Chidimma; Ngumah, Chima. Plant Growth Promoting Rhizobacteria From Local and Hybrid Maize (Zea mays) Varieties. Annals. Food Science and Technology, 20(1): 387-392.