PHILOSOPHY OF THE PROGRAMME
The philosophy underlying the B.Tech, Software Engineering programme is training of students to achieve high academic and ethical standards and adequate practical exposure for self-employment as well as being of immediate value to the software industry and the community in general. This is to be achieved through:
- Broad-based foundation in Computing, Science, Engineering and Technology as well as specialized knowledge and practice in Software Engineering.
- Practical exposure to application of Engineering to problem solving.
- Adequate training in human and organizational behaviour and management in the software development life-cycle.
- Developing entrepreneurial knowledge for self-reliance.
- Creating an awareness and understanding of the moral, ethical, legal, and professional obligations to global society as regards the development and use of software applications.
- Creating an awareness and understanding of the need to develop leadership and team building skills to maximize the benefits of Software Engineering Education and its application to solving problems.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The aim of the programme is to produce graduates with a broad and balanced Software Engineering knowledge and practical skills. The general objectives are that the graduates must be resourceful, creative, innovative, and able to perform the following functions:
- Appreciate the importance of computer science (as a base) in such areas as principles of programming, algorithm, data structures, database and programming languages.
- Develop and utilize the practical skills acquired in software architecture and design, software metrics, verification and validation, requirements and analysis and the software engineering process to produce software-based systems.
- Develop expertise in programming in several different languages with emphasis on the production of robust, reliable, cost-effective, and secure codes that are based on sound design and development principles and adapted to the needs of a developing and emerging economy such as Nigeria in a technically professional manner.
- Exercise original thought, have good professional judgement and be able to take responsibility for the execution of important tasks as programmers, system analysts, software developers, web developers, software consultants, system administrators, IT project managers, system engineers and entrepreneurs, etc.
- Produce and manage high-quality software-based solutions with long life-cycles especially for large or complex systems.
- Develop the entrepreneurial skills needed to become self-employed.
- Have the requisite knowledge and skill base for further academic and professional development so that they can join in teaching and research in Software Engineering departments.
Our graduates can work in any organization that use or develop software. Some of the organizations include Oil companies, Telecommunication companies, Banks, Airline and Ground transportation companies, Software Development companies, E-commerce firms, and Government Ministries. Some of the job roles open to graduates of Software Engineering Programme include but not limited to:
- Systems Analyst – analyzes requirements for an application, may also do business case analysis.
- Software Designer – designs the solution structure.
- Software Architect – designs the overall structure of the application.
- Software Programmer – implements the design using software development tools.
- Software Tester – does independent verification and validation.
- Software Project Manager – plans, organizes, directs, coordinates and controls a software project.
- Software Configuration Manager – does change control, status accounting, audits and reviews.
- Software Quality Manager/Engineer – software reliability modeling, statistical quality control, defect analysis.
- Systems Administrator – administers user accounts, technology refreshment and software deployment to users.
- DevOps Engineer.
- Database Administrator – administers the database (installation, maintenance, backup, refreshment, etc.).
Staff List with Areas of Specialization
|Engr. Dr L.O. Uzoechi
|Dr. C. O. Ikerionwu
|Software process improvement, Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, BPO-IT and DevOps
|Mr I. G. Aguwa
|Machine Learning, Programming (Python, Java, C++), Development (Web, Mobile, Game), Oracle SQL/PLSQL
|Mr. S. O. Ajakwe
|Software Engineering, Programing, IT-crowdsourcing, Artificial Intelligence/Knowledge Management
|Engr. Dr. (Mrs.) F. O. Elei
|Web Development and Communication
|Mr. I. C. Nwandu
|Software Engineering, Quality Assurance, Data Mining, Computer Networks
|Engr. A. I. Erike
|Electrical Electronics and Computer Engineering (Intelligent Systems Engineering)
|Engr. Dr. R. E. Ogu
|Embedded Systems, Internet of Things, Cloud Computing, Web Development and Management
|Engr. U. M. Yusuf
|Software Engineering, Quality Assurance, Informatics
|Mr. C. D. Okoronkwo
|Computer Networks and Network Design, Internet of Things
|Rev’d A. O. Ovwonuri
|Miss U. U. Nwandikom
|Software Engineering, Web and Mobile Application Design/Development (Progressive), Programming, UI/UX Design, Graphic Design, IT Project Management
|Mrs. J. O. Chinyere
|Mrs. C. O. Uneze
|Mr I. C. Azubuike
|Mrs U. O. Nwonkoko
|C. P. Anyogu
|Mrs C. A. Ihenachor
|Assistant Registrar/ Departmental Administration Officer
|Mrs C. M. Uzor
|Mr J. C. Agwamenwere
Candidates may be admitted into the degree programme in Software Engineering through the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) or Direct Entry.
The minimum academic requirement for admission into the 5-year degree programme is credit level passes in five subjects which must include English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and any other science subjects at O’level in nationally recognized examination obtained in not more than two sittings. In addition, an acceptable pass in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) with the following subject combination: English Language, Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry
In addition to fulfilling the UTME Entry requirements, candidates seeking admission through direct entry into 200 level must possess one of the following: OND in relevant ICT course with a minimum of Upper Credit or a minimum of ‘A’ Level passes in three science subjects which must include Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry.
Candidates seeking admission through direct entry into 300 level must possess HND in relevant ICT course with a minimum of Upper credit.
Occasionally, advanced placements are offered to students who transfer from other universities after a careful review of their transcripts by the Departmental Board of Studies.
The program is of a five-year duration leading to the award of B.Tech degree in Software Engineering. The special areas handled in the department includes: Artificial Intelligence, Cloud Computing, Computer Graphics, Computer Hardware, Computer Networks, Database Management Systems, Cybersecurity, Internet of Things (IoT), Software Engineering, etc.
In the first two years, the programme is blended with Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Engineering based technological skills. In the subsequent years, a wide range of Core Computer Science courses are covered to meet the need of the various specializations. A nine month Students’ Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) is an integral part of the program – (3 months in the second year and 6 months in the fourth year). In the fifth year every student undertakes a research project under the special areas mentioned above.
- The Department is presently working round the clock to put the necessary structures in place for its smooth take off and get prepared for the Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC).
- Setting up of structures such as formation of the following Committees – Strategic Planning Committee, Resource Mobilization Committee and Departmental Handbook Committee.
- Set up the Departmental Research Committees which meets every 2nd Monday of the month.
- The Department received a One million naira (1,000,000) grant attracted by the Ag. HOD, Engr Dr Laz Uzoechi from FUTO Alumni Association courtesy of Jimcol Resources Ltd on December 5, 2019.