Dr Mrs Akunna I. Duru
Started a successful academic career in 2005 as a Graduate Assistant and now holds a Masters and Doctors degree in Organic Chemistry with substantial publications in both local and International Journals. The extensive experience and research-oriented exposure to training, workshops and conferences alongside with the professional qualifications have contributed to my being a highly motivated, enthusiastic, dedicated and goal-driven educator with a solid commitment to academic growth and development of students with proven abilities in research problem solving to deliver expected results
Ijeoma Akunna Duru has been actively engaged in organic chemistry synthesis and modelling of bioactive compounds. She has collaborated with several researchers from other universities to isolate and characterize organic compounds. She drives a culture of excellence and detailed in research. Her publications are in peer-reviewed international journals and received several citations. She has worked with some companies on natural product simulation and development and trained on specialized analytical instruments.
- PhD, 2014
- M.Sc., 2008
- B.TECH -2001
PROFESSIONAL BODY MEMBERSHIP
- Member, Institute of Chartered Chemists of Nigeria (ICCON)
- Member, Chemical Society of Nigeria
- Member, Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSDW formerly TWOWS)
Course Code and Courses Assigned to Teach
CHM 101, CHM 102, CHM 104, CHM 305,CHM 308,CHM 310,CHM 315,CHM 401,CHM 501, CHM 503, CHM 507, CHM 508.
- Lecturer and Researcher undergraduate courses
- Lecturer and Researcher Postgraduate courses
- Lecturer and Researcher Masters students
- Lecturer and researcher PhD students
- Modelling, Simulation and Conformational Studies of Organic Molecules.
- Design, Synthesis and Characterization of New Organic Materials of Industrial and Biological Potentials.
- Design, Synthesis and Modification of Novel Heterocyclic-Based Molecules for Drug Development.
- Treatment /Remediation of Metal Polluted Water using Organic Molecules.
- Extraction, Isolation and Modification of Bioactive Compounds from Natural Products.
- P. C. Njoku, G. O. Onyedika, C. O. Akalezi, I. A. Obiji, C.K. Enenebeaku, I. C. Iwu, R. N. Oze (2009) ‘A Comprehensive Approach to University Organic Chemistry’, ISBN: 978-2514-81-0, Ihem Devis Press LTD, Owerri, Nigeria.
- Duru I A. and Akalezi C. (2016) ‘Chemistry of Paints and Adhesives’, ISBN: 978-219-740-8, Benzene Concepts Publishers, Owerri, Nigeria
- M. Ogwuegbu, L. Agwaramgbo. J. Alinnor, C. Ogukwe, C, Enenebeaku, F. Owumere (2018) Duru I. – Chapter 12- in ‘General Organic Chemistry and Applications’, ISBN: 978-53654-0-9, Supreme Publishers, Nigeria.
- C. E. Duru and I. A. Obiji (2008), Determination of the Rate Law for the Oxidation of Ascorbic Acid Solution; International Journal of Physical Science, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp 63-67. (Nigeria)
- C. E. Duru, A. A. Ayuk and I. A. Obiji (2008), Estimation of the Relative Number of Active Sites for D-(+)-glucose and D-(-)-fructose on the Enzymes of Saccharomyces cerevisiae; International Journal of Biochemistry, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp 49-52. (Nigeria)
- I. J. Alinnor and I. A. Obiji (2010), Assessment of Trace Metal Composition in Fish Samples from Nworie River; Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 9 (1) pp 81-85. (Pakistan)
- C. E. Duru, V. O. Njoku, A. A. Ayuk, I. A. Obiji and B.O. Isiuku (2010), Chloroquine As Corrosion Inhibitor For Mild Steel In 1 M Sulphuric Acid. J. Chem. Soc. Nigeria, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp 89-93. (Nigeria)
- C. E. Duru, I. A. Duru and N. P. Ebosie (2010), Heavy Metal Levels in Surface Soils within Owerri Capital City of Imo State, Nigeria. International Jour. Chem. (India) Vol.20, No.4, pp 211-216. (India)
- C. E. Duru, I. A. Duru and N. K. Nwagbara (2012), Potency of 5-hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF) against Bacillus cereus and Proteus mirabilis. BioCHEMISTRY: An Indian Journal, Vol. 6, Issue 2, pp 41-44. (India)
- C. E. Duru, I. A. Duru and N. K. Nwagbara (2012), Glucose Conversion to 5-hydroxymethylfurfural – pH Enhanced Product Formation using CrCl2 in Liquid Water. Macromolecules: An Indian Journal, Vol. 8, Issue 1, pp 24-27. (India)
- Ejele, A. E., Duru, I .A, Oze, R. N., Iwu, I .C. and Ogukwe, C. E (2012), Comparison of Antimicrobial Potential of Piper umbellatum, Piper guineense, Ocimum gratissimum and Newbouldia laevis extracts. International Research Journal of Biochemistry and Bioinformatics, Vol. 2(2), pp 35-40. (USA)
- Ejele, A. E., Duru, I. A., Ogukwe, C. E. and Iwu, I. C. (2012), Phytochemistry and Antimicrobial Potential of Basic Metabolites of Piper umbellatum, Piper guineense, Ocimum gratissimum and Newbouldia laevis extracts. Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering and Applied sciences (JETEAS), Vol. 3(2), pp 309-314. (UK)
- C. E .Duru and I. A. Duru (2013), Dual Catalytic Function of CrCl2 in D-glucose Conversion to 5-Hydroxymethylfufural in Water. J. Chem. Soc. Nigeria, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp 34-37. (Nigeria)
- I. A. Duru, C. E. Duru and R. I. Ngochindo (2013), Molecular Mechanical Simulation Studies of Carbonyl Band Multiplicity in Decalin Esters. J. Chem. Soc. Nigeria, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp 1-5. (Nigeria)
- I. A. Duru, C. E. Duru, F. C. Ibe and C. A. Nweze (2013), Comparison of Antimicrobial Properties of Chemically Modified and Unmodified Flower oil of Ageratum conyzoides. J. Chem. Soc. Nigeria, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp 88-90. (Nigeria)
- Duru C. E., Duru I. A., Ikpa C. B. C. and Ibe F. C. (2014), Chemical and Spectra Studies of the Alleged killer Seed of Berlina Grandiflora; International Organization of Scientific Research, Journal of Applied Chemistry (IOSR JAC) Vol. 7, Issue 1 ver II, pp 14-18. (India)
- Duru I. A., Ngochindo R. I. and Duru C. E. (2014), Enhancement of the Bioactivity of 4,5-dibromoimidazole by its Cobalt(II) Complex; International Organization of Scientific Research, Journal of Applied Chemistry (IOSR JAC) Vol. 7, Issue 9 ver. 1, pp 28-32. (India)
- Duru I. A., Ngochindo R. I., Duru C. E. Ogukwe C. E. and Orji I. (2014), Chlorinated Imidazole Complex as Potent Antifungal Agents; International Organization of Scientific Research, Journal of Applied Chemistry (IOSR JAC) Vol. 7, Issue 9 ver. II, pp 20-23. (India)
- C. E Duru, I.A. Duru, F. C. Ibe, I.O. Achinihu and L. Ukiwe (2015), Functional Group Analysis and Antibacterial Studies of Column Chromatography Eluates from the Seed of Garcinia Kola; International Organization of Scientific Research, Journal of Applied Chemistry (IOSR JAC) Vol. 8, Issue 9 Ver. I, pp 35-38. (India)
- Nkwoada A., Alisa C and Duru I. (2016), Public Participation in Solid Waste Management Practices within Owerri Urban of Imo State, Nigeria; International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) Vol. 5, Issue 3, pp 1749-1754. (India)
- C. E Duru, I. A. Duru, Nweze C. A and Ukiwe L. (2016), Dependence of Storage Material Surfaces on the Oxidative Rancidity Kinetics of Peanut Oil; International Letters of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy Vol 65, pp 22-31. (Switzerland)
- I. A. Duru, C. E. Duru, R. Ngochindo and L. Ukiwe (2016), Synthesis, Characterization and Antimicrobial Activity Studies of Triiodoimidazole and its Transition Metal Complexes; JCSN Vol. 41 No 1, pp 1-5. (Nigeria)
- Duru, C. E. and Duru I. A. (2016), Comparative Study of the Efficiency of Mineral Acid Catalysts in the Conversion of Starch to Glucose; FUTO Journal Series (FUTOJNLS) Vol. 2, Issue 2, pp 136-143. (Nigeria)
- Chidi Edbert Duru and Ijeoma Akunna Duru (2017), Studies of Sorbent Efficiencies of Maize Parts in Fe(II) Removal from Aqueous Solutions; International Letters of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy Vol. 72, pp 1-8 (Switzerland)
- Chidi Edbert Duru, Ijeoma Akunna Duru, Frances Chizoruo Ibe and Margaret Chinyelu Enedoh (2017), Profiling of Zn2+ Ion Sorption in Modeled aqueous Solutions by Different Parts of Maize Biomass; International Organization of Scientific Research, Journal of Applied Chemistry (IOSR JAC) Vol. 10, Issue 3 ver. 1, pp 70-75. (India)
- Duru Chidi Edbert and Duru Ijeoma Akunna (2017), Adsorption Capacity of Maize Biomass Parts in the remediation of Cu2+ Ion Polluted Water; World News of Natural Sciences (WNOFNS) Vol. 12, pp 51-62 (Poland)
- I. A. Duru and C. E. Duru (2017), Infrared Studies and Mineral Element Analysis of Leaf of Vernonia amygdalina, World News of Natural Sciences (WNOFNS) Vol. 13, pp 1-9. (Poland)
- C.E. Duru, M.A. Nnabuchi and I.A. Duru (2019). Adsorption of Cu onto Maize Husk Lignocelluloses in Single and Binary Cu-Zn Solution Systems: Equilibrium, Isotherm, Kinetic, Thermodynamic and Mechanistic Studies. Egyptian Journal of Chemistry, 62(7), 1695-1705.doi:10.21608/ejchem.
2019.6377.1539. (Egypt) (Elsevier) (Scopus)
- Duru Chidi Edbert, Margaret Chinyelu Enedoh, Duru Ijeoma Akunna (2019), Physicochemical Assessment of Borehole Water in a Reclaimed Section of Nekede Mechanic Village, Imo State, Nigeria; Chemistry Africa, 2(4), 689-698. (Tunisia) (Springer) (Scopus)
- C.E. Duru, I.A. Duru, C.E. Ogbonna, M.C. Enedoh and P. Emele (2019). Adsorption of Copper Ions from Aqueous Solution onto Natural and Pretreated Maize Husk: Adsorption Efficiency and Kinetic Studies. J. Chem. Soc. Nigeria. Vol. 44, No. 5, pp. 798-803. (Nigeria)
- I.A. Duru and C.E. Duru (2019). Identification and Quantification of Phytochemicals from Carica papaya Linn (Caricaceae) Root Extract using GC-FID. J. Chem. Soc. Nigeria, Vol. 44, No. 7, pp. 1291-1297. (Nigeria)
- C.E. Duru and I.A. Duru (2020). Mobility of Aluminum and Mineral Elements between Aluminum Foil and Bean Cake (Moimoi) Mediated by pH and Salinity during Cooking. SpringerNature Applied Sciences, 2:348 (Springer)