Prof. Samuel O. Onyekuru
Professor Samuel Okechukwu Onyekuru hails from Umuorii-Uratta in Owerri North Local Government Area of Imo State. After his primary and secondary schools education, he had a brief stint at Government Secondary School, Owerri for an Advanced level Certificate. Thereafter, he proceeded to the erstwhile Anambra State University of Technology (ASUTECH), Enugu, for his B.Sc. Certificate, and emerged as the Best Graduating Geoscience Student in the 1990/1991session.During the National Youth Service Corps programme in 1992, Professor Onyekuru worked as a Project Geologist with Kwara Water Corporation, Ilorin and later, Corps Liaison Officer, Ilorin West Local Government Area. He successfully mapped Ilorin and its Environs and was rewarded by the Ilorin West Local Government and NYSC with Honours Award and Commendation Certificate respectively. His first teaching experience was a short stint as a Physics teacher at Irete Girls Secondary School, Owerri from 1993 to 1994. He was later employed as a Hydrogeologistfor Jagal Nig. Limited, Lagos (1994 -1997); Borehole Water Services Limited (BOWASEL) Lagos and its parent company, China Geo-engineering Corporation (CGC) Kaduna (1998-2002), where he rose from Senior Hydrogeologist to Chief Hydrogeologist/Project Manager in the Expansion of Gombe Township Water Project, between 1998-2002. Within these periods he completed the Petroleum Trust Fund Rural water projects in Abuja, FCT, Cross River including Bakassi, Kogi, Benue, Kaduna, Kano, Maiduguri, Sokoto and Zamfara States. Due to his love for academics, Professor Onyekuru resigned his job with CGC on February 19, 2002, to join the Federal University of Technology Owerri as an Assistant Lecturer. Within a period, he rose to the position of Senior Lecturer after obtaining a PhD degree in Petroleum/Sedimentary Geology from the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (FUTO) in 2010. With over 70 publications in various core geosciences disciplines, more than 18 years of lecturing experience under his belt and active participation in various software and field training here in Nigeria and abroad, Professor S.O. Onyekuru is an accomplished academician.
He had held some key positions in the University and Imo State, having served out a tenure as the Deputy/Ag. Director (2017), Institute of Erosion Studies, Head of Department, Department of Geology FUTO (2017-2019) and Electoral Commissioner Imo State Independent Electoral Commission, Owerri. Beyond the classroom and university administration, Professor. Onyekuru is an active member of several professional bodies including but not limited to NAPE, AAPG, NMGS, COMEG, etc. where he regularly brings his research findings to the industrial sector as a paper presenter and judge/panellist. He is also an external examiner to many Nigerian Universities. Professor Sam Onyekuru is a member of the order of Knight of St. Christopher (K.SC.), Owerri Council and is happily married to Lady Joy Chisom Onyekuru. They are blessed with 5 children.
- B.Sc. (GEOLOGICAL SCI.);
- M.Sc. (HYDROGEOLOGY);
- PhD (SEDIMENTARY/PETROLEUM GEOLOGY)
- Recipient, 2nd (Runner’s Up) Best Presenter Award at the NAPE/NMGS 9th Mini-Conference PTI/FUPRE Effrun Delta State, 2018
- Recipient Prize for Community Development, at the 2016 World Owerri Peoples’ Congress (WOPC) Marriot, Maryland, USA
- 3rd Position Imperial Barrel Award For Nigerian Universities, Lagos-Nigeria, 201
- 1st Position/Winner 2014 African SEG Challenge Bowl, Kumasi, Ghana
- Recipient, Prize For The Best Graduating Student Award, For The Department Of Geological Sciences, Anambra State University Of Technology (ASUTECH), Enugu (1990/1991 Session).
- Recipient National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) Honors Award for Ilorin West Local Government Area Kwara State (1992).
- Recipient National Youth Service Corps(NYSC)Commendation Certificate for Kwara State (1992).
- Recipient, 1STPrize NMGS Thesis Award (Okezie Award), NMGS Conference and Exhibition Port Harcourt 2000.
Membership of Professional bodies
- Member, Nigerian Association Of Hydrogeologists, MNAH
- Member, Nigerian Mining And Geosciences Society, MNMGS
- Member, Nigerian Association Of Petroleum Explorations, MNAPE
- Geoscientist, Council Of Mining Engineers And Geoscientists, (COMEG)
- Member, American Association Of Petroleum Explorations (MAAPG)
Courses Assigned to Teach
- GLY 201 Introduction to Geology I
- GLY 208 Principles of Sedimentology and Stratigraphy
- GLY 305 Sedimentary Geology
- GLY 306 Sedimentary Petrography
- GLY 515 Chemical Hydrogeology
- GLY 502 Petroleum Hydrogeology
- GLY 821 Geochemistry
- GLY 825 Petroleum Geology I
- GLY 824 Advanced Sedimentology
- GLY 826 Petroleum Geology II
- GLY 827 Sedimentary Petrology
- GLY 830 Sequence Stratigraphy
- GLY 829 Advanced Organic Geochemistry
- GLY 841 Basics of Geological and Sedimentological Field Techniques
- GLY 905 Current Problems in Geosciences
- GLY 913 Advances Sedimentology
- GLY 914 Field and Laboratory Techniques
- GLY 915 Petroleum/Coal Geology
- GLY 916 Fossil Energy Resources
- 1994-1998 – JAGAL NIGERIA LIMITED, LAGOS
- 1998-2002 – CHINAGEOENGINEERING CORPORATION KADUNA
- 2002-DATE – FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY OWERRI
SEDIMENTARY AND PETROLEUM GEOLOGY WITH SPECIAL INTEREST IN THE SEDIMENTARY SUCCESSIONS IN THE ANAMBRA AND AFIKPO BASINS
(List of peer-reviewed Publications)
- Ibe, K.M., Nwankwor, G.I. And Onyekuru, S.O., 2001. Assessment Of Groundwater Vulnerability And Its Application To The Development Of Protection Strategy For The Water Supply Aquifer In Owerri, Southeastern Nigeria, Environmental Monitoring And Assessment. 67, Pp. 323-360.
- Onyekuru, S.O. And Iwuagwu, C.J., 2010. Depositional Environments And Sequence Stratigraphic Interpretation Of The Campano-Maastrichtian Nkporo Shale Group And Mamu Formation Exposures At Leru-Okigwe Axis, Anambra Basin, Southeastern Nigeria, Australian Journal Of Basic And Applied Sciences. Vol. 4, No. 12. Pp. 6623 – 6640.
- Onyekuru, S.O., Ibelegbu, E.C., Iwuagwu, C.J., A. G. Essien and Akaolisa, C.Z., 2012. Sequence Stratigraphic Analysis Of “XB Field”, Central Swamp Depobelt, Niger Delta Basin, Southern Nigeria, International Journal Of Geosciences, Vol. 3, Pp. 237-257.
- Onyekuru, S.O., C.J. Iwuagwu, and Nwankwor, G.I., 2013. Dispersal Patterns Of The Late Cretaceous To Early-Tertiary Sediments In The Southern Anambra Basin, Southeastern Nigeria, International Journal Of Geosciences, 2013, Vol. 4, Pp. 588-604.
- Onyekuru, O., Opara, K.D., Iwuagwu, C.J. And Opara, A.I., 2015. Diagenetic Study of Sandstone Sediments in Parts of Anambra and Afikpo Basins, Southeastern Nigeria. FUTO Journal Series (Futojnls), Vol. 1, Issue 2. Pp. 316 – 321.
- OnyekuruO., Oluoma Chinonyerem Fortune, Adikwu Stephen Onum, Okoro Eze Martins, Obaje Enejo Christian., 2017. 3d Seismic Interpretation And Petrophysical Analysis Of “Olu Field” Onshore Niger Delta. International Journal of Geophysics and Geochemistry; 4(6): 73-82
- OnyekuruO., Iwuoha P. O., Iwuagwu C. J., Nwozor K. K. And Opara K. D., 2018. Mineralogical and Geochemical Properties of Clay Deposits in Parts of Southeastern Nigeria International Journal of Physical Sciences. 13 (14),
- OnyekuruO., Alexander I. Opara, Ikechukwu O. Njoku, Emmanuel O. Bassey and Cyril E. Ukaonu. 2019. Sequence Stratigraphic Interpretation Of Late Cretaceous-Early Paleogene Sediments In The Central Part Of Southern Anambra Basin, Nigeria Journal Geological Society Of India Vol.93, Pp.713-726
- OnyekuruO., Chukwuma Julian Iwuagwu, Joy Okenyi, Kelechi Denis Opara, Ukamaka Nwachiani Nwigbo. 2019. Characterization of The Upper Cretaceous Sediments In The Ikpankwu-Ihube Axis, Okigwe, Southeastern Nigeria. International Journal Of Geosciences, 2019, 10, 724-744
- Onyekuru S.O., A. I. Opara, E. O. Obiukwu, K. D. Opara, C. J. Iwuagwu. 2019. An Evaluation Of The Source Rock Properties Of The Campanian-Maastrichtian Sediments In The Leru-Agbogugu Axis, Anambra Basin, Southeastern Nigeria, Pet Coal; 61(5): 1252-1267pp.