Prof. Adolphus I. Njiribeako
Engine oils, generally referred to as lubricating oils, are liquids used to reduce friction or prevent contact of parts or surfaces in relative motion, that is, sliding, rolling or rubbing surfaces as in automotive engines. By so doing, they prevent severe wear, rust and corrosion of the engine parts. Other auxiliary functions include; cooling/temperature regulation of the engine parts and prevention of particle deposition on close-fitting parts.
During usage, these oils undergo degradation, which turns them black, less viscous and hence ineffective and unfit for further lubrication. Consequently, numerous gallons of these used engine oils are thrown away every day as “spent” thereby posing serious environmental problems.
The major thrust of Professor Njiribeako’s research is concerned with the resource recovery of these oil wastes including those from industrial machinery. Thus he is involved in the applied research of treatment/regeneration processes of spent engine/industrial oils and development of the prototype pilot plant units for eventual scale –up to the industrial plant.
In recent times, Professor Njiribeako and his co-workers have deployed tools and developing new ones for modelling and simulating these waste regeneration processes/systems for optimal control.
Academic and Professional Qualification
- Dottore Ingegneria Chimica (DR. OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING) STATE UNIVERSITY OF ROME, ROME ITALY
- Master of Applied Science, M.Sc. (UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO, WATERLOO CANADA)State Engineers Professional Certificate (ROME ITALY)
- Diploma, Management of Technical & Vocational Training Institutions. ILO INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR ADVANCED TECHNICAL AND VOCATIONAL TRAINING, TURIN, ITALY
- Higher School Certificate (1961) UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE; ENGLAND, UK.
- Cambridge school certificate (1958) Grade 1 WEST AFRICAN EXAMINATION COUNCIL.
- Nigeria-Agip Oil Company scholarships State University of Rome, Rome, Italy.
- Imperial oil company of Canada, Research fellowship Grant, Dept. of Chemical Engineering, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
- Maclaugling Fellowship Grant, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
- ILO Fellowship BIT International Institute of Management, Turin, Italy
- JULY-OCTOBER 1983 Tour of Hungarian Chemical and Food Processing industries Under the Sponsorship of Metrimpex of Metrimpex, Budapest, Hungary.
Membership of professional bodies
- Member, Nigerian, Society of Chemical Engineers (1968 – till date)
- Member, Chemical Society of Nigeria (1978-1991)
- Member, Science Association of Nigeria (1987)
- Member, Italian Association of Chemical Engineers (Milan Branch) (1972).
- Member, Nigerian Society of Engineers (1998-till date).
- I.A. NJIRIBEAKO, P.L. SILVESTON AND R.R HUDGINS “A Laboratory stirred catalyst basket reactor for 3-phase contacting” 5th CANADIAN SYMPOSIUM ON CATALYSIS, CALGARY, ALBERTA, P.170 (1977).
- I.A. NJIRIBEAKO, P.L. SILVESTON AND R.R HUDGINGS. “Involvement of free radicals in the aqueous Phase Catalytic Oxidation of Phenol over CuO”. CANADIAN JOURNAL OF CATALYSIS Vol. 49, No. 2, p. 244 (Aug. 1977).
- I.A. NJIRIBEAKO AND A.C. ORGA “Used Engine Oil: A potential raw material for Excellent, Multi-grade Lube Oil Production PROCEEDINGS OF THE 13T h INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE SOCIETY OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERS, BABAGRY, NIGERIA. PP.143-249 (1989)
- C.I ANUNUSO and I.A NJIRIBEAKO “Irradiation techniques in Food Processing”. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 16TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF THE NIGERIAN SOCIETY OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERS ENUGU. PP.130-139 (1986).
- I.A. NJIRIBEAKO, J.U. OZURUMBA, AND A.C ORGA “Newsprint paste ink from asphaltic Resins” JOURNAL OF THE NIGERIAN INSTITUTION OF PRODUCTION ENGINEERS, VOL.1, NO. 2 PP. 34-40 (December 1993)
- I.A. NJIRIBEAKO AND E.E EFFIONG “A Solution of coupled non-linear, first order O.D.E BY THE MODIFIED R.K.M. METHOD” PROCEEDINGS OF THE 3RD UNIBEN CONFERENCE OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT pp.212(1991).
- I.A. NJIRIBEAKO “A. preliminary design of a pilot mixer-settler Equipment for the production of resinous Asphaltene sulfonate from used lubricating oils” N.S.E TECHNICAL TRANSACTIONS (THE JOURNAL OF THE NIGERIA SOCIETY OF ENGINEERS) Vol. 29, No. 2 pp. 42-47 (1994)
- I.A. NJIRIBEAKO “Bleaching powders from the pyrolysis of solid Wastes” PROCEEDING OF THE 16TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF THE C.S.N BOOK OF ABSTRACTS p.4 (1991)
- J.A NJIRIBEAKO AND A.C. ORGA “Prospects of pyrolysis in the Safe Disposal of waste PVC” PROCEEDING OF THE 28TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF THE SCIENCE ASSOCIATION BULLETIN OF THE S.A.N Vol. 13, No. 1, p.7 (1987)
- I.A. NJIRIBEAKO AND A.C. ORGA “The effect of process parameters on the yield of sludge during Used Engine oil Regeneration”. PROCESSING OF THE (25TH) SILVER JUBILEE CONFERENCE OF THE NIGERIAN SOCIETY OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERS. PP 75-77 (NOV. 1995).
- I.A. NJIRIBEAKO AND J.A AMASEIMOGHA “Disposal of Non-Biodegradable solid was Materials in Nigeria”. PROCEEDINGS OF THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON 3RD, WORLD STRATEGIES. FOR TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT, YOLA, NIGERIA
- I.A. NJIRIBEAKO AND L.N NWANYA “Enhancing the adsorptive performance of Natural Bleaching Earths form Limestone/Clay Mixtures” JOURNAL OF THE CHEMICAL SOCIETY OF NIGERIA. VOL. 25 (March 2000).
- Njiribeako I. A & Kamalu, C.I.O: Sodium-based lubricating grease, from sulfonation residues of used engine oil, international Research in Engg; Sci. and Tech. (IREJEST) vol. 1, No. 3, 2004
- Njiribeako I.A and Kamalu, C.I.D: Electroless plating of carbon steel wires with copper and nickel, Nigerian V. of Engg. Research and dev., Vol. 4, No. 3, 2005
- Olebunne F.L and Njiribeako I.A “Design and construction of Pilot plant for production 25Lit/batch of soap-base lubricating grease. International Research Journal in Engineering, Science and Technology. Vol. 1, No. 2, 2004, page 70-80.
- Osoka, E.C; Njiribeako I.A “Rate modelling of starch gelatinization under strong alkali conditions”. Journal of Emerging Trends in Engineering, scholar link Research, U.K Letter of acceptance (Journal in Press) 2011.
- O.C.N Ndukwe and I.A Njiribeako “The Raw material potentials of resinous asphaltene sulphonate” Global Journal of Engrg. And Technology, Vol. 3, No. 4 (2010)
- O.C.N Ndukwe, I.A Njiribeako and I.C Anyanwu, “Resource recovery from bottom-of-the-barrel petroleum sludge. International Journal of Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3 (2010) 365-371
- A.C Orga, I.A.Njiribeako, K.B.Oyoh, E.E.Effiong “Empirical Modeling and Optimization of a Novel Spent Engine Oils Regeneration Process” Proceedings of annual conference of IRDI research and development network, vol.1, no.4, June 28-29 2006, conference centre, Unical, Nigeria.
- A.C Orga, I.A.Njiribeako, K.B.Oyoh, E.E.Effiong “Empirical Modeling and Optimization of a Novel Spent Engine Oils Regeneration Process” Journal of Research in Engineering, vol.3, no.4, pp54-61, IRDI, Nov.2006.
- POLYTECHNIC ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE Member, Planning & Development Committee (!980-1985)
- Member, Curriculum implementation and Examination Board (1980-1985)
- Member, Management Committee (1981-1985)
- Member, Rector’s Advisory Committee (1980-1985)
- Membership, of Academic Board (1980-1985)
- Membership, of Executive Committee (1980-1985)
- Chairman of, School Board (1984-1985)
- UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATIVE EXPERIENCE Member Governing Council of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri (1987-1991)
- Member, Senate of FUT Owerri (!985-1992)
- Senate Representative on the Committee for the Appointment of Vice Chancellor (1987)
- Member, F&GPC (A committee of the Governing Council) FUTO (1990-1991)
- Member, Advisory Committee on Students Discipline (1988-1991)
- Member, SEET Board of Studies (1988 till date)
- Member, Congregation (1985-till date)
- Member, Senate Business committee (1990-91)
- Member, Board of the Post Graduate School, FUT. Owerri (1994-till date)
- Member, Tenders Board, FUT. Owerri (1989-1991)
- Member, Planning Committee SEET, FUT. Owerri (1988-1999)
- Member, SEET Exams Committee (1988-till date)
- Chairman, Student’s Welfare Committee (1988-1991)
- Chairman, Departmental Curriculum Development Committee for the B.Eng., M.Eng. and PhD Chemical Engineering programmes, FUT. Owerri (1988-1995).
- Chairman, Advisory Committee on Student Feeding (1988-1990)
- Chairman, Departmental Research Committee (1988-1991).
- FEDERAL POLYTECHNIC YOLA, NIGERIA. Ag. H.O.D, Dept. of Food and Chemical Tech (1980)
- H.O.D, Dept. of Food and Chemical Tech (1981 June 1984)
- Ag. Director, School of Science & Tech (July 1984 March 1985)
- Director, School of Science & Tech (March 1985 –Oct.)
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI, NIGERIA Co-ordinator, Chem-Pet. Tech. programme, SNAS (1985-1988)
- Ag. H.O.D Dept. of Chemical & Petroleum Eng., SEET (1988-1992).