Prof. Kenneth Ogugua Okpala
An outgoing personality with excellent oral and written communication skills. An effective team member, with experience of working in a multidisciplinary environment. Self-motivated, resourceful and versatile, always seeking to provide solutions to problems and challenges in the Chemical Industry and the environment. First language Ibo, fluent in written and verbal English. An active member of the Deeper Christian Life Ministry.
Academic and Professional Qualification
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Chemical Engineering (June 1975), Loughborough University of Technology
- M.Sc.(Tech.), Chemical Engineering (Oct. 1977), University of Sheffield, UK
- PhD Chemical Engineering (1981), University of Sheffield, UK.
- Team Leader, Raw Materials and Research and Development Council, (RMDRC) Eastern Zone Development of Software Package for Industrial Equipment (2002)
- Appointed by the NUC to serve on the panel to accredit Chemical Engineering Programme at the Federal University of Technology, Yola, Nigeria (1996)
- Appointed by NBTE to serve on the panel to accredit Chemical Engineering Programme at the Federal Polytechnic, Nekede, Owerri, Nigeria (1987).
- Appointed by the Council of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers to serve on the Examination Committee of the Society (1992-1997)
- Appointed as a reviewer of Technical Papers (in Chemical Engineering) presented for publication in the Nigerian Journal of Technological Research (1992)
- Appointed by the Anambra State Government as a member of the study group on the Industrialization of Anambra State (1992)
- West German Scholarship for undergraduate studies in Chemistry, University of Nigeria, Nsukka (1971- 1972)
- Federal Government of Nigeria Scholarship for studies in Chemical Engineering, Loughborough University of Technology, UK (1972-1975)
- Federal Government of Nigeria Scholarship Award for a PhD programme, University of Sheffield (1977-1981)
- Appointed (twice) to serve on the Interview panel for lecturers and instructors at the Federal Polytechnic Nekede, Owerri, Nigeria (1986).
Membership of professional bodies
- Member, Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers
- Member, COREN
- Member, Nigerian Society of Engineers
- Member, The British Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- Okonkwo, S.I, Okpala K.O, Effiong, E.E (2010); Isolation and Identification of Active Principles Responsible for Inhibitory Microbial Attack on ‘solanum aubergine’ and ‘solanum gile’; Global Journal of Engineering & Technology, Vol. 3, No. 4 pp757 – 762
- Onyelucheya, O.E, K.O Okpala and E.E Effiong (2008) “Dispersion Characteristics of Alkali Produced From Empty Fruit Bunches of Three Different Species of Oil Palm”, Journal of Engineering & Applied Sciences, Vol.4 (Nos. 1 & 2) pp38 – 42
- Kuye A.O, Ayo D.B, K.O Okpala, T.O Folami, F.O Chukwuma, A.S Ahmed, S.N Mumah (2006) “A Review of Spray Dryer Design” Nigerian Drying Symposium Series, Volume 2, pp 35-46
- Kuye A.O, Ayo D.B, K.O Okpala, T.O Folami, F.O Chukwuma, A.S Ahmed, S.N Mumah (2006) “Computer Aided Design of Hydrocyclones” Technical Transaction on Software Engineering, IPS Applied Technology Series, Vol. 1, 2006, pp 79-89
- Kuye A.O, Ayo D.B, K.O Okpala, T.O Folami, F.O Chukwuma, A.S Ahmed, S.N Mumah (2006) “Design of Gas Cyclones” Monograph published by the Raw Materials Research & Development Council, Abuja, pp 1-63
- Osoka E.C & Okpala K.O (2006) “A Theoretical Model for the Drying Kinetics of Fermented Cassava Mash” Nigerian Drying Symposium Series, Volume 2, pp 105-109
- Okpala, K.O, E.E Effiong and O.E Onyelucheya, (2003) Infusion of Crude Oil sludge with Kernel Chaff as a Calcined Adsorbent for Deodorisation of Kerosene “J. Chemical Society of Nigeria, Vol. 28 (2)”
- Okpala K.O, A.C Orga, O.E Onyelucheya (2003) “Drying Kinetics of Cassava Slices, Proceedings of the first National Drying Symposium Series, pp 183-192
- Nwandikom, G.I and Okpala K.O (2000) “Effects of Soaking Methods in Farm-Gate Rice Processing” Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 7 (2) pp 2339-2348.
- Effiong E.E and Okpala K.O (2000) “A Generalized Material Balance Program for Staged Processes with Bypasses and Recycle Streams”, Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol. 7 (1) pp 2123-2217.
- Okereke, C.D and Okpala K.O (1999) “Oshika Bio-Environmental Pollution” Advances in Geosciences, Vol. 1 (1) pp 38-42.
- Okpala K.O (1996) “The Nigerian Oil Industry and Environmental Pollution: Environmental Protection Engineering, Vol. 22 (No. 1-2) pp 16-30
- Effiong E.E and Okpala K.O (1993) “Calculation paths for Staged Process with Recycle”, Journal of Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 12, pp 16-30
- Nwankwo G.I and Okpala K.O (1993) “Self Purification Potential of Small Tropical Urban Stream: A case study of the River Nworie in Imo State, Nigeria”, Environmental Protection Engineering, Vol. 19 (no. 1-4) pp 5-17
- Arririatu, L.E and Okpala, K.O (1993), “The Role of Telecommunication in The Development of Science and Technology in Nigeria”, pp 182-187, edited by Nwachukwu, M.A, Ejimanya and Oguwde, I.C
- Okpala K.O and Nwankwo G.I (1992), “Industrial and Agricultural Contribution to Water Pollution in Otamiri and Aba Rivers”, Journal of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers, Vol. 11 (No. 1 & 2) pp 91-96.
- Okpala K.O and Effiong E.E (1992), “Optimal Condenser Design using Alternative Univariable Search Methods”, Journal of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers, Vol. 11 (No. 1 & 2)
- Okpala, K.O (1989), “Factors Affecting the Gaseous Hydrogen Yields in an Entrained Coal Flow Reactor”, Journal of Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers, Vol. 8, (No. 2), pp 129-133
- Okpala K.O and Nwoke M.N (1989), “Comparative Palm Oil Bleaching of Some Characterised Nigerian Clay Deposits”, International Journal of Food Science and Technology, Vol. 24, pp 647-651.
- Academic Experience Professor of Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Owerri (Oct 2000)
- Reader in Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria (1996 – 2000)
- Senior Lecturer in Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria (1989-1996)
- Lecturer 1, Chemical Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Owerri (1983-1989)
- Lecturer 1, Chemical Engineering, Anambra State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (1982-1983)
- Research Fellow, Health and Safety in Mines, Department of Health and Safety Executive, Buxton, England (1979-1981)
- Team Leader (Eastern Zone) and Committee Member on the “Development of Computer Software Packages on Industrial Equipment (such as dryers, gas cyclones, hydro-cyclones, etc.)”
- Participated in the drawing up of Undergraduate Degree Programme in Chemical Engineering (Anambra State University of Technology, Enugu, 1982), Undergraduate and Postgraduate Degree Programme, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria.
- Actively involved in research activities involving raw material sourcing and utilization, treatment of industrial wastes and environmental pollution and methods of abatement.
- Member Consultancy Group for Raw Material Research And Development Council (RMRDC), Abuja – Development of Software packages.