The Palpable infiltration of Mathematics into the ranks and files of current Chemical Engineering practice is by no means accidental. The increasing needs of a world whose resources are slowly diminishing mean that practioners have to employ increased ingenuity in the development of new processes. The inevitable result is that at least in the Chemical and Petroleum industries, there has been a noticeable shift towards a more quantitative approach to the problems of both design and operation of the industrial processes. Mathematical modelling and analysis is now a prominent feature in many industrial endeavours F.N. Uzondu and E.C. Osoka have modelled the sand drying plant of typical sheet/hollow glass plants and came up with a model whose solution predicted excellently the design of various units of the plant. The model solution also predicted the behaviour of the plant – i.e. prediction of the humidity of sand from inlet wet end to the – dry output end. The allowable humidity of sand used in making batch for glass making is 0.1%. The model solution predicted this and the analysis in glass making laboratory for this output sand conforms to 0.1%. In the petroleum industries the paradigms as above are in vogue.
Academic and Professional Qualification
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Chemistry, 1978, University of Ibadan – Ibadan
- P.G.D. Chemical Engineering, 1985, University of Lagos Akoka
- M.Sc. Chemical Engineering, 1987, University of Lagos Akoka
- Diploma, Sheet Glass Manufacturing and Processing, 1988, Hungarian Glass Works. Budapest.
International Glass Industries Ltd. Aba, Award of excellence in Batch making and glass furnace operations, 1997
Membership of professional bodies
Member of NSChE
- Olebunne F.L. 2Opebiyi S.O. and 3Uzondu F.N.“Effect of silica gel support on clay–catalysed vapour phase dehydrogenation of Ethanol” –Centre Journal –Hinka – Premo Co, No3 Emmause, 2nd Close labonne – Accra Ghana, 2009
- A.P. Uzoije, 2 F.N. Uzondu and 3 P.C. Agu, “Vapourisation models of Varying Crude Oil Characteristics”Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 4(2): 150 – 157, 2011, ISSN 1994 – 7887 /DOI: 0.3923/jest 2011, 150 – 157 © Asian Network for Scientific Information.
- F.N. Uzondu and 2 E.C. Osoka “Modelling of Sand Drying Process in a Sheet / Hollow Glass Plant”Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences c/o Faculty of Engineering, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka. 2009
- Olebunne F.L, 2Oghome P.T, 3Uzondu F.N and Nkwocha C.A.“Modelling of montomorllonite clay – cata Iysed Esterification reaction using factorial Design Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences Minna (In-Press) 2011