The objectives of the postgraduate diploma programme in Civil Engineering are as follows:
- To prepare students for further postgraduate studies in Civil Engineering and develop in the critical understanding of the subject and broaden their knowledge of professional engineering.
- To provide a bridge between HND and the Bachelor’s degree programmes and ensure that graduates of some physical or chemical sciences could be convertible to registrable engineers via the PGD programme.
Civil Engineering is the oldest branch of the Engineering profession. It involves an application of the laws of nature (forces and materials) to the design, construction operation and maintenance of facilities that serve our needs in an efficient and economical manner. Typical Specialties within Civil Engineering includes Structural, Transportation, Environmental (including water/wastewater treatment and water resources), geotechnical, surveying and Construction Engineering. Civil Engineers assume a great deal of responsibility in practice because of the nature of their work.
The Department of Civil Engineering in FUTO was established in the 1982/1983 academic year in the School of Engineering and Engineering Technology (SEET). Since its establishment in 1982, the department has grown from strength to strength due to inputs from qualified and highly experienced Academics, Technologists and Administrative Staff.
Presently, the department has three options, namely:
- Structural Engineering Option
- Water Resources Engineering Option
- Public Health Engineering Option
These options represent the major professional thrust of the Department and both teaching and research efforts are focused on these areas. The Postgraduate programme in the department started in the 1991/92 session. Presently, the department has M. Eng. and PhD programmes in Water Resources and Structural Engineering and PGD in Civil Engineering.
The vision of the department is to be the fountainhead of new ideas and innovations in Civil Engineering and to produce graduate-entrepreneurs who are job creators in their areas of specialization. The mission of the Department is to offer world-class undergraduate and Postgraduate education, research guidance, professional consultancy, outreach and manpower training as well as leadership in Civil Engineering.