Prof. Uzomah Abimbola
Abimbola Uzomah is a Food Chemist and an Associate Professor in the Department of Food Science and Technology, School of Engineering and Engineering Technology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri Imo State Nigeria.
She had her first degree (BSc.) Honours degree in Chemistry from the University of Ibadan, Nigeria, MSc from the University of Reading, Whiteknights Reading, United Kingdom, in 1983 and PhD. from University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt, Nigeria in 1991. She has about 20 years of teaching experience at the tertiary Institution. During this period, she supervised more than 10 postgraduate studies (both MSc and PhD students) and over 60 undergraduate research projects.
She has held different administrative positions in the University. She served as the Acting Head of Department, Food Science and Technology, (2002-2006); Member, University Senate, (2002-2006); Member, University entertainment committee 2006/2007; Member, University Committee on Personnel Issues 2007 amongst others. During her sabbatical leave (2007/2008) at Sheda Science and Technology Complex, Federal Ministry of Science and Technology, Abuja, she actively participated in the research project for the enhanced use of cassava flour in new product development.
She has served as a resource person at different workshops (on the enhanced use of agricultural produce) organised by the Owerri Municipal Council for various stakeholders within the agricultural sector. She also served as the team leader in a survey study by International Institute of Tropical Agriculture on “Needs Assessment Survey on Processing of Cassava and Marketing of Cassava/Cassava Products in Imo State of Nigeria. Cassava Mosaic Disease (CMD) Integrated Cassava Project”.
Academic and Professional Qualification
- B.Sc. Honours degree in Chemistry, University of Ibadan, Nigeria,
- M.Sc, University of Reading, White knights Reading, United Kingdom, in 1983
- PhD University of Port Harcourt, Port Harcourt, Nigeria in 1991.
Oyo State scholarship for post graduate studies in the UK (1982)
Membership of professional bodies
- Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (Fellow).
- Institute Of Public Analyst of Nigeria (Member).
- Nutrition Society of Nigeria (Member).
- Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSDW Formerly TWOWS) (Member/President FUTO Chapter).
- National Treasurer and member of the National Council of the Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology in 2000-2002 and a
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Nigerian Food Journal (NIFOJ) (2000 till date) and currently the Deputy Editor-In-Chief.
- Uzomah, A. and Ihekoronye, A. I. (2010). The effect of sprouting on the characteristic properties of Colocasia esculenta starch. Nigerian Food Journal. 28: 389 – 400.
- Uzomah, A and Ibe, C. (2011). The functional properties, pasting and baking behaviour of chemically modified sour cassava starches. African Journal of Food Science. 5(12), pp. 686-694,
- Uzomah, A. and Odusanya, O. S. (2011) Mucuna sloanei, Detarium microcarpum and Brachystegia eurycoma seeds – A preliminary study of their starch-hydrocolloids system. African Journal of Food Science 5(13), 733 – 740
- Ihekoronye, A. I. and Uzomah, A. (2011). MANUAL ON SMALL SCALE FOOD PROCESSING – A Guide to Opportunities for Enterprise Development in Small Scale Food Processing. Tropical Publishers Nigeria, pp 1 – 133. ISBN 978-2739-62-X.
- Member of various committees in the University Community.
- Vice Chairman of Council of the All Saints Chapel, (Protestant Chapel), FUTO.