Mrs Damaris C. Okafor
Lecturer II (Department of Food Science and Technology)
Damaris Okafor is a Food Scientist and Technologist and an Assistant Lecturer in the Department of Food Science and Technology, School of Engineering and Engineering Technology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri. Imo State Nigeria.
She had her first degree (BSc.) Honours degree in Food Science and Technology from Imo State University Owerri, Nigeria and MSc. from Federal University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria in 2003 and 2012 respectively. She has about 3 years of teaching experience at the tertiary Institution. During this period, she supervised more than 7 undergraduate research projects.
She has served as a Project Assistant for Cassava Value Chain Analysis Expert for Kogi State Staple Crop Processing Zone (SCPZ) of Kogi State, Nigeria sponsored by Africa Development Bank (AFDB) in 2013.
She has also served as a member of various committees in the University Community.
Academic and Professional Qualification
- B.Sc. Honours degree in Food Science and Technology, Imo State University Owerri, Nigeria, in 2003
- M.Sc, Federal University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria, in 2012
- PhD. In view.
Membership of professional bodies
- Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (Member).
- Nutrition Society of Nigeria (Member).
- Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSDW Formerly TWOWS) (Member FUTO Chapter).
- Financial Secretary and member of the Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology Owerri zone in 2012- date.
- Member and Chairman Publicity on the Local Organizing Committee of the 39th Annual Conference/ AGM (Owerri 2015) of Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST).
- Beverage Technology
- Brewing Science
- Enzymes in Biotechnology
- Food Safety
- Value Chain Addition
- Enzyme Hydrolysis and Molecular Breakdown in Foods
- Food Safety Management
- Food Commodity Value Chain Development
- Exogenous Enzyme Application Technology
- Soy/Legumes Cell Wall Enzymic Degradation Optimization.
- She has more than 3years of teaching experience in the tertiary institution.
- She has supervised more than 7 undergraduate students.
- Abolude, D.S.; Adelanwa, M.A.; Adelanwa, E.B.; Adamu, S.M. and Okafor, D.C. (2012) Morphological effect of Sodium Azide on Soya Beans (GLYCINE MAX (L) Merr). International Journal of Scientific Research India. 2(3): 115 -123.
- Abolude D. S.; Chia.A. M.; Yahaya A.S. and Okafor D. C. (2012) Phytoplankton Diversity and Abundance as a Function of Water Quality for Fish Production: A Case Study of Two Manmade Reservoirs in Zaria, Nigeria. Journal of Tropical Freshwater Biology, 21 (2) 41-58.
- Abolude D.S.; Barak Z.; Tanimu Y.; Bingari M. S.; Opabunmi O.O. and Okafor D.C. (2013) Assessment of the Concentration of Metals in a Sewage Treatment Pond of the Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Nigerian Journal of Aquatic Science 28 (1):24-34
- Abolude D.S.; Chia M.A.; Bamidele A. and Okafor D.C. (2013) An Assessment of the Biological and Physio-Chemical Characteristics of two Inland Streams Zaria, Kaduna State. Journal of Aquatic Science 28 (1):35 -40
- Osuji C.M. and Okafor D. C (2013). Effect of Combined Cell Wall Degrading Enzyme Treatment on The Total Dissolved Solids and Sugars of Soymilk The Annals of the University Dunarea de Jos of Galati Fascicle VI – Food Technology 37(1) 50-60
- Abolude, D.S.; Opabunmi, O.O.; Okafor, C.D.; Dambo, A and Barak, Z (2013) Assessment of the Protein Nutritional Composition in the Body Component Parts of Scaly Fresh Water Fish Species (Citharinus Citharus, Distichodus Rostratus and Alestes Brevis) from Zaria, Nigeria. Biological and Environmental Sciences Journal for the Tropics (BEST) Journal 10(4): 6 – 10.
- Ihediohanma N.C.; Okafor D.C. and Adeboye A. S. (2014) Sensory Evaluation of Jam Produced from Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus) International Organization of Scientific Research– Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science (IOSR-JAVS). Vol 7 of issue 5 (version II) Pp 41-43.
- Ihediohanma N.C.; Ojimba N.C.; Onuegbu N.C.and Okafor D.C. (2014) A Study On The Concentration Of Tartrazine In Plantain Chips Commonly Sold Within South-Eastern Nigeria. International Organization of Scientific Research – Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT) Volume 8 Issue 8 (version I). Pp 51-57
- Ihediohanma N.C; Okafor D. C. and Osuagwu P. U. (2014) Proximate Composition and Carotene Content of three Cultivars of Xanthosoma sagitifollum. International Organization of Scientific Research – Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT) Volume 8 Issue 8 (version II). Pp 17-22.
- Okafor D. C.; Ihediohanma N. C. Abolude D. S.; Onuegbu N.C.; Osuji C.M. and Ofoedu E. (2014) Physico-Chemical and Sensory Acceptability of Soursop (Annonamuricata) Wine. International Journal of Life Sciences 3 (4) 163 – 169.
- Ihediohanma, N.C., Ofoedu, C.E., Ojimba, N.C., Okafor, D.C. and Adedokun, A.O. (2014).Comparative Effect of Milling Methods on the Proximate Composition and Functional Properties of Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata). International Journal of Life Sciences 3 (4) 170 – 177.
- Ibe A. E., Onuoha G. N., Adeyemi A. A., Ogueri C. U., Ibe M. A. and Okafor D. C., (2014) Assessment Of Ecological Status And Tree Diversity In Ohaji/Egbema Watershed, South- Eastern, Nigeria. International Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences, 10(1): 21 – 33
- Enwereuzoh, R. O.; Okafor, D. C.; Uzoukwu, A. E.; Ukanwoke, M. O.; Nwakaudu, A.A. and Uyanwa, C. N. (2015) Flavour Extraction From Monodora Myristica And Tetrapleura Tetraptera And Production Of Flavoured Popcorn From The Extract European Journal of Food Science and Technology 3 (2): 1-17 (eajournals.org)
- Ijioma B. C.; Ihediohanma N C.; Onuegbu N. C. and Okafor D. C. (2015) Nutritional Composition and some Anti-Nutritional Factors of Three Edible Mushroom Species in South Eastern Nigeria. European Journal of Food Science and Technology 3(2): 57-63. (eajournals.org)
- Alagbaoso, S. O.; Ihediohanma N. C.; Enwereuzoh, R. O.; Okafor, D. C.; Nwakudu, A. A.; and Agunwa, I. M (2015) Effect Of pH and Temperature on Functional Physico-Chemical Properties of Asparagus Bean (Vigna Sesquipedalis) Flours and Moin-Moin Production From the Flour. European Journal of Food Science and Technology 3(2): 85-105 (eajournals.org)
- Nwosu, J. N., Ndukauba, O.E., Olawuni, I.A., Okafor, D.C., Enwereuzoh, R.O. and Ojukwu, M. (2015). The Mineral and Vitamin Compositions of Black Walnuts using Roasting Toasting and Cooking International Journal of Life Sciences 4( 2): 58-65
- Okafor, D. C., Enwereuzoh, R. O.; Ibeabuchi, J. C.; Uzoukwu, A. E. Alagbaoso, S. O. and Udenkwo, C. (2015). Production of Flour Types from Black Bean (Phaseolus Vulgaris) and Effect of pH and Temperature on Functional Physico-Chemical Properties of the Flours European Journal of Food Science and Technology 3 (2): 64-84. (eajournals.org)
- Uzoukwu, A.E; Ubbaonu, C. N; Perter-Ikechukwu, A.I; Ibeabuchi, C.J, Okafor, D.C and Okorie I.G (2015) Effects of Treatment Methods on the Proximate Composition and the Anti-Nutritional Components of Normal and Late Harvest Trifoliate Yam (Dioscorea Dumetorum) World Journal of Agronomy, Food Science & Technology 2(1): 1- 14
- Igwe, K., Ofoedu, C.E., Okafor, D.C., Odimegwu, E.N., Agunwah, I.M. and Igwe, V.S. (2015) Comparative Proximate Analysis of Some Green Leafy Vegetables from Selected Communities of Rivers and Imo State, Nigeria International Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences 4(2): 55-61
- Peter-Ikechukwu, A; Kabuo N.O.; Bede, N.; Enwereuzoh, R. O.; Amandikwa, C.; Okafor, D. C.; Alagbaoso S. O. and Okposen I. (2015) Physicochemical and Microbiological Quality of Borehole Water Samples in Owerri North – West Local Government Area, Imo State, Nigeria European Journal of Food Science and Technology 3 (3) 17 – 29. Available online at www.eajournal.com
- Peter-Ikechukwu, A; Omeire G.C; Okafor D.C.; Eluchie, C.; Odimegwu N. E.;.Nze S.M. ; Anagwu F. I. and Okeke K. C. (2015) Assessment of the Quality of Borehole Water Sample in Federal Housing Estate and Sites and Services Areas of Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria Food Science and Quality Management 42 5 – 12 Available online at: iiste.org
- Okafor D. C.; Peter-Ikechukwu A.; Enwereuzoh R. O.; Uzoukwu A. E; Nze S. M.; Agunwa M. I.; Anagwu F. I and Onyemach C.(2015) Effect of Fermentation on the Anti-Nutritional Factors and Mineral Composition of Melon Seed Varieties for Ogiri Production Food Science and Quality Management 43 98 – 111 Available online at: iiste.org
- Enwereuzoh R.O.; Okafor D. C.; Obasi S.C.; Ihediohanma N. C.; Ebiriekwe S. C. and Ome T. C. (2015) Effect of Extraction Method on Tetrapleura tetraptera (Oshorisho) Flavoured Pawpaw and Pineapple Juices. Journal of Raw Materials Research (JOMAR) 9 (1) 21 – 36.
- Serah O. Alagbaoso*, Justina N. Nwosu, Njideka E. Njoku, Moses Ojukwu, Damaris C. Okafor and Chioma N. Eluchie (2015). Growth performance and haematology of albino rats fed varying inclusions of autoclaved canavalia plagiosperma piper seed meal based-diets American Journal of Food and Nutrition (AJFN) 5 (2) 35-49 http://www.scihub.org/AJFN.
- Uzoukwu A. Ubbaonu C.; Okafor D. C. Nweze C.C.; Nwosu J. C.; and Nweje N.O.(2015) Processing and Shelf-life Assessment of Mixed-fruit Juice from Pineapple (Ananas comosus) Orange (Citrus sinensis) Paw-Paw (Carica papaya) and Guava (Psidium guajava) International Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences 4 (4) Pp. 235-242.
- Ijioma, B. C; Ihediohanma, N. C; Okafor, D. C; Ofoedu C. E. and Ojimba N. (2016) Physical, Chemical and Sensory Attributes of Tapioca Grits from Different Cassava Varieties. Asian Journal of Agriculture and Food Sciences.4 (1)46 -53 (www.ajouronline.com).