Mrs Ijeoma A. Olawuni (Nee Osuji)
Department of Food Science and Technology,
Federal University of Technology Owerri.
P.M.B. 1526 Owerri, Imo State.
As the use of local foods is becoming limited in urban areas. Olawuni Ijeoma’s research interest is aimed at proving that these local foods are very beneficial and should not be relegated by studying their functional and beneficial properties. One goal of the current research is that these local foods can function well in food systems.
Institutions Attended with Dates:
- Orji Town Primary School, Owerri | 1976-1982
- Owerri Girls’ Secondary School, Owerri | 1982-1987
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri | 1989-1995
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri | 2002-2006
- Federal University of Technology Owerri | 2006-2016
Academic and Professional Qualification
First School Leaving Certificate | Distinction
West African School certificate | Four Alphas, Three Credits & 1 pass
B.Tech., Food Science and Tech. 2nd class (upper honours)
Certificate of National Service | 1996
M.Sc Food Science and Technology, FUTO. | 2006
PhD | 2016
Primary Teaching Area
Food Processing and Engineering
Oyo State scholarship for postgraduate studies in the UK (1982).
Food Processing and Engineering
- Organization for Women in Science for the Developing World (OWSDW Formerly TWOWS) (Member/President FUTO Chapter).
- National Treasurer and member of the National Council of the Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology in 2000-2002 and a
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Nigerian Food Journal (NIFOJ) (2000 to date) and currently the Deputy Editor-In-Chief.
Membership of professional bodies
- Member, Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST) (Fellow).
- Member, Nutrition Society of Nigerian (NSN)
- Member SEET Board of studies 2002-present
- Member FST Board of Studies 2002-present
- Member, FST PDG Curriculum development for continued education (2006-2007) committee.
- Undergraduate seminar coordinator. (2008-2013).
- Student Adviser 2008/2009-2013/2014 session.
- Institute Of Public Analyst of Nigeria (Member).
- Osuji, I.A and Uzomah, A. (2007). Physicochemical properties, culinary and functional properties of a lesser-known variety of cowpeas seeds ‘Akidi Elu’. Int J. Agric. Rural development, 10:7-14.
- F.O Uruakpa, I.A. Osuji and Banigo, (2006). Dehulling treatment impact on the sensory/nutritional characteristics of Africa yam beans (Sphenostylis stenocarpa). IUFOST Congress in Nantes, France.
- Olawuni Ijeoma (2011). Physical, chemical, functional and sensory properties of the white variety of African yam beans (Sphenostylis sternocarpa). Int.J. Agric rural Dev. 14(2): 619-629.
- Ibeabuchi, C. and Olawuni, I. (2011). Isolation and identification of spoilage fungi associated with rice, millet and soybean. Int. J. Agric and Rural Dev. 14(2):614-618.
- Ijeoma O. Osuji, Florence O. Uruakpa and Uduak O. Ikot (2012). Characterization of the three varieties of brown cowpeas (Vigna unguiculata) grown in Nigeria. NPAIJ 8(3):89-95.
- Olawuni, I.A., Ojukwu, M. and Eboh Bright (2012). Comparative study on the physicochemical properties of pigeon pea (Cajanus cajan) flour and protein isolate. Int. J. of Agricultural and Food Science 2:121-126.
- Ojukwu, M., Olawuni, I.A., Ibeabuchi, C and Amandikwa, C. (2012). Physical, proximate and functional properties of ‘Nsama’ a local variety of African yam bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa) grown in southern states of Nigeria. African J. of Food Science and Tech. 3:260-267.
- Olawuni, I., Ojukwu M, Iwouno, J.O., Amandikwa C., Ibeabuchi, C and Kpaduwa, S. (2013). Effect of pH and temperature on the functional, and physicochemical properties of Asparagus Bean (Vigna sesquipedalis) flours. Int .J. of Basic and Applied Science. 2:1-16.
- Olawuni, I., Ojukwu, M., Nwakaudu, A., Ibeabuchi, C., Ahaotu, N.N, Onyeneke, E.N and Igboanugo, C.O. (2013. Effect of pH and temperature on functional physicochemical properties of African Yam Bean (Sphenostylis sternocarpa) flour. Int. J. of Agricultural and Food Science. 3:34-38.
- C. I. Owuamanam, I.A. Edom, C.C. Ogueke, J.O. Iwouno and I.A. Olawuni (2013). Quality characteristics of some tropical Legume flour for steamed paste (moin moin) production as affected by seed sprouting. Pakistan J. Biol. Sci. 1-6.
- Chika C. Ogueke, Chisom Ehirim, Clifford I. Owuamanam, Ihuoma Ahaotu and Ijeoma A. Olawuni (2013). Quality characteristics and HCN in Garri as affected by fermentation variables. Int. J. Life Sciences. 2:21-28.
- Charles C. Osobie, Ijeoma Olawuni, Angela Nwakudu, Nwokeke Blessing, Nwokenkwo Emilia and Amandikwa Chinyere (2013). Effect of temperature and pH on the functional properties of flour and protein isolate from Dehulled black crowder cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) seeds. NPAIJ 9(10): 403-411.
- Ijeoma Olawuni, Abimbola Uzomah, Florence Uruakapa, I.M. Mejeha and M. O. Edema (2013). Effect of maturation and pretreatment on the physico-chemical properties of plantain flour. NPAIJ 9(5):217-222.
- Chika C. Ogueke, Clifford I. Owuamanam, Ijeoma A. Olawuni, Jude, O. Iwouno and Ann I. Peter Ikechukwu (2014). Addition of inulin and manganese chloride increased antibacterial metabolism in Yoghurt. Pakistan J. of Nutrition 13(1): 12-16.
- J.N. Nwosu, C.C. Ezegbe, A. Uzomah, J.O. Iwouno and I.A. Olawuni (2014). Evaluation of the antinutritional properties of the seed of Chinese fan palm (Livistona chinensis) Int. J. of current microbiology & Applied Sciences 3(5):962-974.
- Olawuni Ijeoma, Charles C. Osobie, Anthonia E. Uzoukwu, Onyeneke N. Esther and Nwokenkwo Emilia (2014). The effect of different pretreatments on the functional properties of unripe mature green horn plantain flour (Musa paradisiaca). NPAIJ.10 (2): 37-43.
- Ijeoma Olawuni, Charles C. Osobie, Daniel Ebiringa, Chinyere Amandikwa, Chidi J. Ibeabuchi and Anthonia E. Uzoukwu (2014). Effect of pH and temperature on selected functional properties of flour samples and protein isolate of Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) Seeds. ACAIJ. 14(7): 247-258.
- Peter-Ikechukwu A. Anne, Olawuni Ijeoma, Osobie C. Charles, Odimegwu N. Euphersia, Uzoukwu, E. Anthonia and Eluchie Choima (2015). Effect of wrapping material on chemical and microbiological qualities of fermented melon seed (Citrullus vulgaris L.series) ACAIJ 15 (2): 74-82.
- Uzoukwu, A.E., Olawuni, I.A., Ojukwu, M Odimegwu, N., Agunwa, I.M. and Eluchie C. (2015). Microbiological status of mixed fruit juice preserved with different concentrations of sodium benzoate IJBAS 4(2): 94-99.
- Nwosu, J.N., Ndukauba, O.E., Olawuni, I.A. Okafor, D.C., Enweruzoh, R.O and Ojukwu M. (2015). The mineral and vitamin compositions of black walnuts using roasting, toasting and cooking IJLS 4(2):58-65.
- Kabuo, N.O., Omeire, G.C., Peter-Ikechukwu, A.I., Bede, E.N. Olawuni., I.A. and Iwuji, F.C. (2015). Effect of parboiling temperatures, drying methods on dehulling efficiency, quality and storage ability of breadfruit (Treculia africana) seeds. IJBAS 4(2): 33-40.
- Odimegwu, E.N., Nwosu, J.N, Umelo, M.C., Olawuni, I.A., Akajiaku, L.O and Oga, B.N. (2015). Effect of processing on the proximate and functional properties of “Akparata” (Afzelia africana) flour. European J. of Fd.Sc. & Tech 3 (1):48-60.
- I.A. Olawuni, A. Uzomah, I.M. Mejeha, J.N. Nwosu and C. Amandikwa (2016). The effect of drying method and maturity time on the functional properties of unripe plantain flour. Advances in Science and Technology 10:1 & 2 5-8.
CONFERENCE AND LEARNED SOCIETIES ACTIVITIES
- Durunna, A.I. and Osuji, A. (2005). The effect of three dehulling wet treatments on the sensory quality of moin moin made from African yam beans (Sphenostyles stenocarpa). In proceeding of the 29th annual conference of Nigeria Institute of Food Science and Technology. Pp 173-174.
- Osuji, I.A. and Durunna, A. (2015). Comparative study on the efficiency of three wet dehulling methods for African yam bean (Spenostyles stenocarpa). In proceeding of the 29th annual conference of Nigeria Institute of Food Science and Technology. Pp. 175-176.
- Uzomah, A. and Osuji, I.A. (2015). Chemical composition and physicochemical properties of a rare variety of cowpea (Vigna unguiculata): as affected by storage time and processing. In proceeding of the 29th annual conference of Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology. Pp 181-182.
- Osuji, I. A and Uzomah, A. (2006). Effect of NaCl ionic strength on the gelation and foaming capacity of ‘Akidi Elu’ (Vigna unguiculata) flour. In: Proceedings of the 30th annual conference of Nigeria Institute of Food Science and Technology. Pp. 276-277.
- Nwakaudu A.A., Olawuni I.A. and Nwakaudu, M.S. (2007). Performance profiles of selected coagulants used in H2O treatment. In Proceedings of the 31st annual conference of Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology. Pp. 20-21.
- Amandikwa, C., Bede E.N., Olawuni, A.I., Nwokeke, B.C., and Aneneyeonwu, U (2015). Effect of processing method on the functional properties of Deuterium microcarpum seed flour. In proceeding of the 39th Annual conference of Nigeria Institute of Food Science and Technology pp. 235-236.