Professor of Food Science and Technology
Ngozika C Onuegbu has BSc, MSc and PhD degrees in Food Science and Technology. She is actively involved in research at both national and international levels. She is a member of the Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST), Nutrition Society of Nigeria (NSN), Organisation for Women in Science and Development (OWSD), International Food Data Systems (INFOODS), Nigerian Food Data Systems (NIFOODS), Consultative Committee on Biofortification for improved Nutrition organised by WHO/FAO. State Committee on Food and Nutrition.
Academic and Professional Qualification
- BSc. 1987, Food Science and Technology, Imo (now Abia) State University Uturu, Abia State, Nigeria
- MSc. 1991, Food Science and Technology, University of Nigeria Nsukka, Nigeria.
- PhD, 2004, Food Science and Technology Federal University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria.
Membership of professional bodies
- Member, Nigeria Institute of Food Science and Technology
- Member, Nutrition Society of Nigeria
- Member, Third world Organization for Women in Science.
Determination of bioactive compounds in indigenous foods and their behaviour/properties under different processing conditions. Flavour profiles and identification of flavour. Determination of the impact of ingredients in the flavour of foods.
Assumed duties in the Department of Food Science and Technology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria in 2002. Engaged in teaching Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses as well as supervision of students’ projects and research. The courses taught include: Total Quality management in the Food Industry, Sensory evaluation of Foods, Organoleptic Properties of Foods, Experimental Nutrition, Food Chemistry and Food Analysis.
- Onuegbu, N.C. (1997): The effects of malnutrition on brain development among children. Journal of Review in physical, Health Education and Recreation (JRPHER) 3 (1) 58-65
- Onuegbu, N.C. (1998): The effects of processing on the haemagglutinating activity of Lima bean (Phaseolus lunatus.) Journal or Review in Physical Health Education and Recreation (JRPHER) 4 (1) 79-84
- Onuegbu, N.C. (2001): The role of women towards providing adequate nutrition in the rural community Occupation and Training1 (1) 37-43
- Onyemaobi G.A and Onuegbu N.C. (2000): Highlights on Vitamin A deficiency in Southern Nigeria. African Journal of Science and Technology 1 (2) 170-174.
- Onuegbu N.C and Onyemaobi G.A (2001): Vitamin A deficiency in Nigeria. Journal of Sustainable Tropical Agricultural Research 2, 84-92.
- Ubbaonu, C.N, Onuegbu, N.C., Banigo E.O.I. & Uzomah, A. (2003): Physico-chemical changes in Ubene (Maesobotrya barteri) berries during fruit development. Nigeria Food Journal 21, 151-154
- Ubbaonu, C.N, Onuegbu, N.C., Banigo E.O.I. & Uzomah, A.(2005): Physico-chemical changes in velvet tamarind (Diallium genuineness Wild) during fruit development and Ripening. . Nigeria Food Journal 23, 133-138
- Onyeka E.U., Onuegbu N.C., Onuoha N.U. and Ochonogor F.(2005): Effect of Extraction pretreatment on the Composition and Characteristics of seed and pulp Oil of African Black Pear (Dacryodesedulis Nigerian Food Journal 23, 13-20.Nigerian Food Journal 23, 13-20.
- Onuegbu, N.C. (2006): Total Cyanogen content of Garri from South-Eastern Nigeria.Cassava Cyanide Disease Network (CCDN) News (8) P2-3.
- Onuegbu, N.C. (2007): Some properties of market samples of Garri from Owerri Nigerian Journal of Nutritional Science 28(2) 177-180
- Onuegbu N.C.,Onyeka E.U. and Agbayi (2007): Evaluation for the potentials of African pear pulp and pulp oil in bread manufacture. Nigerian Food Journal 25(2):171-175.
- Onuegbu N.C. and Ihediohanma N.C. (2008): Some proximate analysis of African pear (Dacryodes edulis).Journal of Applied Science and Environmental Management.12(1):83-85.
- Ihediohanma, N.C., Duruna, A.I. and Onuegbu, N.C.(2009): Functional properties and performance of alum-treated African breadfruit (Treculia Africana) as a composite flour in cake production Nigerian Food Journal 27(2) 159-167
- Nwosuagwu, U.H., Onuegbu, N.C. and Nkwoala, C (2009): The chemical properties of African pear pulp at different stages of development International NGO Journal 9 Pp380-385
- Nwosu, J.N., Onuegbu, N.C., Kabuo, N.O. and Okeke M.O.(2010): The effect of steeping with chemicals (alum and trona) on the proximate and Functional Properties of Pigeon pea (Cajanuscajan) flour. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 9(8):962-968.
- Onuegbu, N.C., Iwuoha, C.I., Owuamanam, C.I. and Ihadiohanma N.C. (2011): Effect of boiling solution (trona) concentration and time on the proximate composition and physicochemical properties of flour from three-leaved yam (Dioscorea dumetorum) tubers. African Journal of Food Science 5(1):1-5
- Onuegbu N.C., Adedokun, I.I., Kabuo, N.O. and Nwosu J.N. (2011): Amino acid profile and micronutrient composition of African pear (Dacrodesedulis) pulp. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition. 10(6):555-557
- Adedokun I.I. and Onuegbu N.C. (2011): The physical properties of pulp and chemical characteristics of edible oil extracted from the pulp of African pear (Dacyodesedulis). Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 10(6): 558-560
- Nwosu J.N; Ogueke, C.C., Owuamanam, C.I. and Onuegbu N.C. (2011): The effect of storage Conditions on the proximate and rheological properties of soup thickener Brachystegiaenrycoma (Achi). Report and Opinion 3(5):52-58
- Onuegbu N.C., Ubbaonu C., Ajoku N. and Ihediohanma N.C. (2011); Effect of Developmental Stages on some Maturity Parameters of Plantain. Nature and Science 9(9):68-70
- Onuegbu N.C., Nwosuagwu U.C., Kabuo N.O., Nwosu J.N. and Ihediohanma N.C. (2011). The Physical Properties of Ube (Dacryodes eclulis) at different Stages of Fruit Development, Nature and Science 9(9): 71-75
- Onuegbu, N.C., Ihediohanma N.C., Okorafor U.C. and Nwankwere, A. C.(2011): Evaluation of the Potentials of African Pear (Dacryodes edulis) pulp as an ingredient in biscuit-making Nigerian Food Journal 29(1): 78-82
- Osuji, C.M., Onyeka, E.U., Onuegbu, N.C and Udofia, U.S. (2011): Stability, yield and chemical properties of soymilk whey from sprouted soybeans (Glycine max) of different varieties. Nigerian Food Journal 29(2):78-85
- Nwosu, J.N., Owuamanam, C.I., Onuegbu N.C., Ogueke, C.C. and Ojukwu M. (2012): The Anti-nutritional properties of African Yam Bean (Sphenostylis stenocarpa) as affected by chemical treatment. International Journal of Life Sciences 1(3): 79-85.
- Onuegbu, N.C., Nworah, K.O., Essien, P.E., Nwosu, J.N. and Ojukwu, M. (2013): Proximate, functional and anti-nutritional properties of boiled ukpo seed (Mucana flagellipes) flour. International Journal of Life Sciences.Vol 2, No 1.Pp 1– 4.
- Onuegbu, N.C., Ubbaonu, C.N., Ajoku, N.G., Kabuo, N.O. and Nwosu, J.N. (2013): Effects of pre-peeling treatments on ease of peeling of whole plantain fingers and functional properties of plantain flour. Int. Journal of Environmental Sciences. Vol. 2, No 1, pp 40 – 43.
- Onuegbu, N.C., Onwuka G.I. and Clifford H. (2013): Development of extraction protocol for phenolic compounds in African pear (Dacryodes edulis) seed. Int. Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences 2(5):1044-1066.
- Onwuka G.I., Clifford, H. and Onuegbu N.C. (2013): The evaluation of Extraction efficiencies of different solvent mixtures and extraction procedures on the phenolics in African pear (Dacryodes edulis) pulp. Int. Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences 2(5):1010-1023.
- Onuegbu N.C., Kalu H., Ihediohanma N.C. and Bede, N.E.(2013): Effects of Different Pretreatments on the Nutritional and Sensory Qualities of tomato (Lycopersicumesculantum) powder. Int. Journal of Life Sciences. 2(3): 121-123
- Kabuo N.O., Udeozor, L, O., Onuegbu, N.C., Nwosu, J. N. and Eme, M. U. (2013): Effect of wrapping materials on the proximate composition and organoleptic properties of usu (indigenous meat analogue) produced from big mushroom (Lentinus tuber regium) and melon seed(Colocynthis citrullus L). International Journal of Food and Nutrition Science.2(1):38-46
- Onuegbu, N.C., Ihdiohanma, N.C., Odunze O.F and Ojukwu M (2013): Efficiency of wheat: maize composite flour as affected by baking method in bread and cake production. Sky Journal of Food Science. 2(8): 005-013.
- Nwosu, J. N., Udeozor, L.O., Ogueke, C.C., Onuegbu, N.C., Omeire, G.C. and Egbueri, I.S. (2013); Extraction and Utilization of pectin from purple star apple. (Chrysophyllum delevoji) in Jam Production. Austin Journal of Nutrition and Food Science. 1(1):6
- Kabuo N.O., Onuegbu, N.C., Nwosu, J.N., Peter-Ikechukwu, A.I., Udeozor, L.O. and Howells-Nworie, I.C. (2014). Effects of Sugars on the Drying Of Some Local Fruits and Their Importance on Baked Products-Bread and Cake IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology, (IOSR-JESTFT). 8(1):99-106
- Nwosu, J.N., Onuegbu, N.C., Ogueke, C.C., Kabuo, N.O. and Omeire, G.C. (2014): Acceptability of moin-moin produced from blends of African yam bean. (Sphenostylis stenocarpa) and cowpea (Vigna ungiculata). Int Jn of Current Microbiology and Applied Science. 3(5):996-1004
- Owuamanan C.I., Iwuoha, C.I., Onuegbu, N.C., Ogueke, C.C. and Nwosu, J.N. (2013): Quality Characteristics of Processed Flours from Trifoliate Yam (Dioscorea dumetorum) as influenced by steeping and boiling in varying concentration of Trona solution over time. American Journal of Food Technology 8(3): 162-172
- Okafor, D., Ihediohanma, N., Abolude D.S., Onuegbu, N., Osuji, M.M. and Ofoedu, c.E. (2014): Physico-chemical and Sensory Acco[ptability of soursop (Annona muricata) wine. International Journal of Life Sciences. 3(4):163-169
- Bede, E.N., Obi, A.U. and Onuegbu N. (2014): Anti-diabetic effect of a herbal tea processed from ‘Nchanwu’(Occimum gratissimum) leaves on Alloxan-induced diabetic rats. IOSR Jn of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Tech. (IOSR-JESTFT). 8(8);36-40
- Ihediohanma, N., Okafor, D., Osuagwu, P. and Onuegbu, N. (2014):Proximate composition and carotene content of three cultivars of Xanthosoma sagittifolium. IOSR Jn of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Tech.(IOSR-JESTFT). 8(8);17-22
- Ihediohanma, N., Ojimba N.. Onuegbu, N. and Okafor, D.(2014): A study on the concentration of Tartrazine in plantain chips commonly sold within South-Eastern Nigeria. IOSR Jn of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Tech.(IOSR-JESTFT). 8(8);51-57
- Akajiaku, L O, Nwosu, J.N., Onuegbu, N.C., Njoku N.C. and Egbeneke C.O(2014) Proximate, , Mineral and Anti-nutrient Composition of Processed (Soaked and Roasted) Tamarind (Tamarindus indica) Seed nut Current Research in Nutrition and Food Science Vol. 2(3), 136-145
- Ijioma B, C.; Ihediohanma N, C.; Onuegbu N. C. and Okafor D. C.(2015) Nutritional composition and some anti-nutritional factors of three edible mushroom species in southeastern Nigeria. European Journal of Food Science and Technology. Vol.3, No.2, pp.57-63.
- Onuegbu, N.C., Ihediohanma N. C., Nwosu J.N.,Iloka M, and Harrison, A. L., (2015): Production and stabilization of coconut-carrot drink using gum Arabic as stabilizer. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences Vol. 3 (3), pp. 034-037.
- Onuegbu, N.C., Nwuka, M. U., Ojukwu, M.O. and Kabuo, N.O. (2016): Nutritional Properties of African pear Seed and Performance of Defatted Cake in Poultry Feed Formulations. International Journal of Life Sciences. 5 (3): 149-151