Office: Food Science and Technology Department.
Phone: (+234) 8033914609, (+234) 8118518155
A lecturer in the Department of Food Science and Technology, School of Engineering and Engineering Technology, Owerri, Imo State believes Nigeria has a wealth of indigenous foods in which some are only now becoming known to the western world, and there are likely many others remaining to be discovered and studied. These indigenous diets often lack variety, nutritive value and sensory attributes due to underdevelopment of processing method.
One major method of processing and preserving food is fermentation and Nigeria is endowed with a wide range of indigenous fermentable food stuff ranging from tubers, cereals, legumes, beverages and animal proteins. Fermentation contributes significantly to food technological processes in developing countries like Nigeria, where it markedly improves digestibility, nutritive value, enhances flavours of the food stuff and extends the shelf-life of the products.
Isolation and characterization of a wide range of microorganisms involved in the fermentation have been researched on extensively, yet the techniques employed in the cottage industries in Nigeria remain traditional. There is still a great reliance on the use of natural inocula under uncontrolled fermentation conditions. The use of non-sterile materials leads to contamination and varied sensory characteristics of the products. The unattractive packaging also helps to shorten the shelf-life and gives the products poor presentation. It is therefore imperative that modern biotechnological techniques be integrated into the traditional processing procedures to upgrade their efficiency and optimization of productivity.
Academic and Professional Qualification
- National Diploma, 1988, Food Technology, Federal Polytechnic Bauchi, Bauchi State.
- B-Tech, 1995, Food Science and Technology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
- MSc, 2006, Food Science and Technology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
- PhD, 2015, Food Science and Technology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
Class adviser (2007 -2012) academic sessions
- Development of indigenous food processing and nutrition
- Food Microbiology and Preservation
- Food fermentation
- Biotechnology of food processing
- Quality evaluation and Microbial Assessment of locally processed foods (fruits, cereals, tubers, dairies, etc)
Primary Teaching Area
- Food Microbiology and Food Preservation
- Food fermentation
- Food Processing and Nutrition
- Food Chemistry and Analysis
Membership of professional bodies
- Member, Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST)
- Member, Nutrition Society of Nigeria (NSN)
- Member, Organisation of Woman in Science for the Developing World (OWSD)
- Member, Third World Organisation for Women in Science (TWOWS)
- Member, FST PGD program Curriculum Development for Continued Education Committee (2006/2007).
- Special Ad-hoc Committee to develop the result from the submission of FST program optioning committee, 2007 (Assistant Secretary in attendance).
- Assistant Coordinator SIWES FST Department, 2006-2009.
- 2007/2008 academic session course adviser.
Selected Journal Publications
- Uzuegbu, J. O. and Durunna, A. I. (2000). Quickening Accetification in Modified Orlean’s Process. A Simple Method of Producing Vinegar in Homes. Journal of Applied Science 1, 770 – 781
- I. Durunna and J. O. Uzuegbu (2007). Comparative study on the leavening powers of palm wine yeasts isolates. J. of Sustainable Agriculture and Environment. 9 (2): 176 – 184.
- Ihediohanma, N. C, Durunna, A. I. and Onuegbu, N. C. (2009). Functional Properties and Performance of alum treated African breadfruit (Treculia Africana) as a composite flour in cake production. Nig. Food J. vol. 27 (2): 159-167.
- Braid, S. Oranusi and A. I. Peter-Ikechukwu (2012). Perspectives in the hurdle techniques in the preservation of a non alcoholic beverage, zobo. African Journal of Food Science and Technology vol. 3(2):46-52.
- C. Ihediohanma, N. C. Onuegbu, A. I. Peter-Ikechukwu and N. C. Ojimba (2012). A Comperative Study and Determination of Glycemic Indices of Three Yam Cultivars (Dioscorea rotundata, Dioscorea alata and Dioscorea domentorum). Pakistan J. Nutr. 11(6): 547-552
- Braid, S. U. Oranusi, C.K. Akaluka, R.N.Nwaoguikpe, C.I.Akobundu and A. I. Peter-Ikechukwu (2012). Antibacterial efficacy of crude and diluted honey on four wound isolates. Global Advanced Research Journal of Microbiology. Vol. 1(1):001-004
- Peter-Ikechukwu, A. I., Kabuo, N. O. and Akaeze, Q. N. (2012).Effect of some chemical Food Additives on the Shelf-life Stability of plantain chips stored at Ambient Temperature. Nig. J. of Nutritional Sciences. Vol. 33 (2): 20-24.
- Chika C. Ogueke, Clifford I. Owuamanam, Anne I. Peter-Ikechukwu and Ihuoma Ahaotu. (2013). Free and Attached cells of Bacillus subtilis as starters for production of a soup flavouring (“ogiri egusi”). Malaysian J. of Microbiology Vol.9 (1): 103-110.
- Chika C. Ogueke, Ada I.Okoli, Clifford I. Owuamanam, Ann Peter-Ikechukwu and Jude O. Iwouno. (2013). Production of soup condiment (ogiri ugu) from Fluted Pumpkin seeds using Bacillus subtilis. International Journal of Life Sciences. Vol 2 (3): 113-120.
- Chika C. Ogueke, Clifford I. Owuamanam, Anne I. Peter-Ikechukwu ,Jude O. and Nneamaka Ahaotu. (2013). Castor seed Fermentation using Free and Attached Cells of Bacillus subtilis for Production of a soup flavouring. International Journal of Life Sciences. Vol 2 (3): 150-155
- E.N. Bede, A.I. Peter-Ikechukwu, N.O. Kabuo and C.Amandikwa (2013) Effect of sprouting on cookability of cocoyam tubers and physicochemical properties of cocoyam flour. American Journal of Food and Nutrition. 3(4): 188-194
- Kabuo, N.O., Onuegbu, N.C., Nwosu, J.N., Peter-Ikechukwu, A.I., Udeozor, L.O. and Howells-Nworie, I.C.(2014) Effects of sugars on the drying of some local fruits and their importance on baked products-bread and cake. IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT) Vol. 8, Issue 3 Ver. 1pp 99-106
- Chika C. Ogueke, Clifford I. Owuamanam., Ijeoma A. Olawuni., Jude O. Iwouno and Anne I. Peter-Ikechukwu (2014).Addition of Inulin and Manganese Chloride Increased Antibacterial Metabolites in Yoghurt. Pakistan J. Nutr. 13(1): 12-16.
- Peter-Ikechukwu, I. Anne, Olawuni Ijeoma, Kabuo, O.Ngozi, Omeire C.Gloria, Bede N. Evelyn, Osobie C. Charle, Osuigwe Confidence (2014) Effect of wrapping material on proximate and sensory qualities of ogiri, a fermented melon seed (Citrullus vulgaris L. series). Trade Science Inc. Natural Products.An Indian Journal 10 (5) 136-141
- Olawuni Ijeoma, Osobie C. Charle, Peter-Ikechukwu, I.Anne, Kabuo, O.Ngozi, Bede N. Evelyn, Odimegwu Nkiru (2014). Physicochemical and functional properties of flour from dehulled white African Yam Bea (Sphenostylis sternocarpa) grown in Anambra State, Nigeria Trade Science Inc. Natural Products.An Indian Journal 10 (6) 171-177.
- A.I. Peter-Ikechukwu, N.C. Ihediohanma, E.N. Bede and J.C. Ibeabuchi. (2014) Effects of Physical Characteristics of Polyethylene Packaging Materials on Storage Stability of Preservative Free Plantain Chips. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 13 (12): 716-721.
- N.O. Kabuo, S.N.Asoegwu, G.C. Omeire, E.N.Bede, A.I.Peter-Ikechukwu, L. O. Akajiaku and C.V. Nwanesi (2015). Effect of leaf-Type on the Nutritive and Organoleptic Properties of Ogiri-Egusi (Fermented Citrullus vulgaris) seeds. Asian J. of Agric. and Food Science. Vol. 03 Issue 01 p 61-67
- Uzoukwu, A.E; Ubbaonu, C.N; Peter-Ikechukwu, A.I; Ibeabuchi.C.J; Okafor, D.C and Okorie, I.G. (2015). Efect of Treatment Methods on the Proximate Composition and the Anti-Nutritional Components of normal and Late Harvest Trifoliate Yam (Dioscorea dumetorium). World J. of Agronomy, Food Science & Technology. 2(1) 1-14
- Ngozi O. Kabuo, Sunday A.Dialoke, Ngozika Onuegbu, Justina N Nwosu, Ann I. Peter-Ikechukwu and Ifeyinwa R. Ogbu (2015). Utilization of Tender Pigeonpea (Cajanus cajan (L) Millsp.) in Nigeria. Food Science and Quality Management. Vol. 37 p 110- 115
- Peter-Ikechukwu, I. Anne, Olawuni Ijeoma, Osobie C. Charle, Odimegwu N. Euphresia, Uzoukwu E.Anthonia and Eluchie Chioma (2015). Effect of wrapping material on the chemical and microbiological qualities of fermented melon seed (Citrullus vulgaris L. Series). Trade Science Inc. Analytical Chemistry.An Indian Journal 15 (2) 74- 82.
- Kabuo, N.O., Omeire, G.C., Peter-Ikechukwu, I. A., Bede, E.N., Olawuni, I.A, Iwuji, F.C. (2015). Effect of Parboiling temperature, Drying methods on Dehulling efficiency, Quality and Storageability of Breadfruit (Treculia Africana) seeds. International J. of Basic and Applied Sciences 4 (2): 34-40
- Omeire, G.C., Kabuo, N.O., Nwosu, J.N., Peter-Ikechukwu, A. and Nwosu, M.O. (2015). Enrichment of Wheat/Cassava Noodles with Partially defatted Protein-Rich flours. J. Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology (IOSR-JESTFT), Vol. 9. Issue 5, p 121-125
- Ngozi O. Kabuo, Sunday A.Dialoke, Gloria C. Omeire, Evelyn N. Bede, Ann I. Peter-Ikechukwu and ThankGod E. Irekpita (2015) Comparison of Proximate Composition of Some Cultivars of Chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) Cultivated in Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria. Food Science and Quality Management. Vol. 37, p 103 – 109
- Eluchie, C.N., Njoku, N.E., Alagbaoso, S.O., Umelo, M.C., Peter-Ikechukwu, A.I. and Amandikwa, C. (2015) Effect of Phytol on Bacterial Isolates from Grilled meat. European Journal of Food Science and Technology. Vol. 3 (5) 1-14
- Bede, E.N., Mnuoasinam, B.C., Kabuo, N.O., Peter-Ikechukwu, A.I. and Amandikwa, C. (2015) Habitual Green Tea Intake and Effects on Blood glucose and Blood lipids of Diabetic rats. International Journal of Life Sciences Vol. 4 (3) 192-196
- Peter-Ikechukwu, A.I., Omeire, G.C., Okafor, D.C., Eluchie, C., Odimegwu, N.E., Nze, S.N., Anagwu, F.I. and Okeke, K.C. (2015). Assessment of the Quality of Borehole water samples in Federal Housing Estate and Sites and Services Areas of Owerri, Imo State, Nigeria. Food Science and Quality Management Vol. 42, pp 5-12
- D.C. Okafor, A.I. Peter-Ikechukwu, R.O. Enwereuzoh, A.E. Uzoukwu, S.M. Nze, M.I. Agunwa and C. Onyemachi (2015) Effect of Fermentation on the Anti-Nutritional Factors and Mineral Composition of Melon Seed Varieties for Ogiri Production. Food Science and Quality Management Vol. 43, pp 98-111
- Peter-Ikechukwu, A.I., Kabuo, N.O., Bede, E.N., Enwereuzoh, R.O., Amandikwa, C., Okafor, D.C., Alagbaoso, S.O. and Okposen, I. (2015). Physicochemical and Microbiological Quality of Borehole Water samples in Owerri North- West Local Government Area, Imo State, Nigeria. European Journal of Food Science and Technology. Vol. 3 (3) 17-29
- Anne I.Peter-Ikechukwu, Ngozi O.Kabuo., Serah O. Alagbaoso, Njideka E. Njoku, Chioma N. Eluchie and Williams O. Momoh (2016). Effect of Wrapping Materials on Physico-chemical and Microbiological Qualities of Fermented Melon Seed (Citrullus colocynthis L.) used as condiment. American Journal of Food Science and Technology Vol. 4 (1) 14-19
- Peter-Ikechukwu, Ann, Ojukwu, Moses, Kabuo, N.O., Omeire, G.C.,Bede, E.N. (2016) Comperative Evaluation of Proximate Compositions, Functional and Physicochemical Properties of Raw Melon Seeds of Five Members of Cucurbitaceae Family. American Journal of Food Science and Nutrition. 3 (1) 8-17