Mr Umelo Munachiso Chukwuma
Lecturer II (Department of Food Science and Technology)
Umelo Munachiso Chukwuma assumed duties in the Department of Food Science and Technology (FST), FUTO, Owerri in 2014. He is an Assistant Lecturer in the same Department. He earned his B.Tech. Degree (Year 2000) in FST from FUTO, His Master’s of Science in the same Department and Institution (Year 2006). He is also working towards his PhD in the department of FST- FUTO.
He has worked in Industries as Production Manager and Assistant Production Manager in water bottling company and wine and distilleries industries respectively. He obtained a Diploma Certificate in Computer Appreciation, Desktop Publishing and the use of internet in May 2000 and a Certificate in Advanced Digital Appreciation Programme for Tertiary Institution (ADAPTI) in FUTO, June 2016. He was a Staff Adviser of students of Imo State University, a post he held till his resignation, and during this time exposed his students to various industries for a practical experience such as Ama Breweries (NBL) Enugu, Flour Mills Port-Harcourt, and Coca-Cola Company Owerri Depot. He equally served as a member of the Local Organizing Committee of NIFST and ASUU National Executive Council Meeting (NEC) Conferences held in Owerri. He is a member of Nigerian Institute of Food Science and Technology (NIFST).
Academic and Professional Qualification
- B. Tech. Honours Degree in Food Science and Technology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Imo State- Nigeria, in 2000.
- M Sc. in Food Science and Technology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri 2006.
- PhD in Food Science and Technology, FUTO, Owerri (in view).
Membership of Professional bodies
- Nigeria Institute of Food Science and Technology – NIFST (Member)
- Member, European Centre for Research Training, and Development (UK 2833).
- Brewing and Beverage Technology
- Fermentation Technology
- Process Engineering
- Food Product Development
- Exogenous Enzyme application Technology
- Food Machinery
- Post Harvest Preservation Technology
- Food Glycemic Index
Teaching And Professional Experience
He has more than 10 years of teaching experience having taught for more than 1 year in Post Primary Education, about 8 years at Imo State University, Owerri and presently at FUTO from 2014 to date.
- Onyeka E.U and Umelo M.C., (2008). Effect of Enzymes hydrolysis on Saccharification and consumer acceptability of banana fig “malt” drink. Global Journal of Pure and Applied Science. Vol.14 N0 1, pp 55-58.
- Umelo .M.C, (2012). Production of malt flavoured low sugar drinks from Banana (Musa sapientum) fig using amyloglucosidase. NIFOJ Vol. 30 No.2 nifst.org, pp. 89-94.
- Okorie S.U, Ehirim, F. Umelo, M.C., Ihemeje A., and Ekwe, C.C (2013). Evaluation of quality characteristics of composite diet prepared from sprouted and fermented millet and breadfruit seed flours. Global Advanced Research Journal of Agricultural Science. Vol.2 (4) garj.org, pp. 109-115.
- Ehirim, F.N and Umelo, M.C. (2014). Supplementary effect of plantain flour on dough characteristics and bread quality. European International Journal of Applied Science and Technology. Vol. 1.No.2 eijast.org.uk, pp. 61-73.
- Udeogu, E., Onyeka, E.U and Umelo .M.C. (2014). Potentials of using Cowpea-wheat composite flour in noodles products. European International Journal of Applied Science and Technology. Vol.1 No.5 eijast.org.uk, pp. 195-206.
- M.C, Odimegwu E.N, Uzoukwu, A.E., Eluchie, C.N., Nwachukwu C.N., Nwaobi, C.C., Amaraegbulem, K.U and Nwakwalam N.C. (2014). Effects of pasteurization on the physicochemical, nutritional and sensory properties of watermelon (Citrullus lanastus) juice. European International Journal of Applied Science and Technology. Vol 1. No.6 www.eijast.org.uk, pp.48-60.
- M.C., Nsofor, A.E, Akajiaku, L.O., Odimegwu E.N., Uzoukwu, A.E., Agunwah, I.M, Eluchie, C.N., Alagbaso, S.O and Njoku, N.E. (2014). Effect of different dough improvers on the proximate composition, minerals, vitamins and sensory properties of wheat bread. International Journal of Scientific Research and Innovation Technology.Vol.1 No.3 www.ijrist.com, pp. 112-126
- M.C., Uzoukwu, A.E., Odimegwu E.N., Agunwah, I.M., Njoku, N.E, and Alagbaso, S.O. (2014). Proximate, physicochemical and sensory evaluation of ice cream from blends of cow milk and tiger nut (Cyperus esculentus) milk. International Journal of Scientific Research and Innovation Technology. Vol.1.No.4 www.ijrist.com pp. 63-76.
- Uzoukwu, A.E, C.N Ubbaonu, R.O Enwereuzor, L.O Akajiaku., C Umelo., and S.O Okereke. (2015). The functional properties of plantain (Musa sp) flour and sensory properties of bread from wheat-plantain flour as influenced by blanching treatments. Asian Journal of Agriculture and Food Science Vol.3, Issue1 www.ajouronline.com pp.1-12.
- Njideka E.N., Ubbaonu C.N., Alagbaso, S.O., Eluchie, C.N and Umelo, M.C. (2015). Amino acid profile and oxidisable vitamin content of (Synsepalum dulcificum) berry (miracle fruit). Journal of Food Science and nutrition, Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Vol.3 Issue 3-Thompson Reuters 252-256.
- Odimegwu, E.N., Nwosu, J.N., Umelo, M.C., Olawuni, A.I., Akajiaku, L.O and Oga, B.N. (2015). Effect of processing on the proximate and functional properties of “Akparata” (Afzella Africana) flour. European Journal of Food Science and Technology Pub. By the European Centre for Research Training and Development, UK. eajournals.org. Vol.3. No.1 pp. 48-60.
- Alagbaso, S.O., Nwosu, J.N., Njoku, N.E., Umelo M.C., Eluchie, C.N, and Agunwah, I.M, (2015). Effect of processing on the nutritional and antinutritional properties of (Cannavale plagiosperma piper) European Journal of Food Science and Technology Pub. By the European Centre for Research Training and Development, UK. Vol.3. No.3 pp. 45-69.www.earjournals.org.
- Nwoke, F.U, Umelo, M.C, Okorie, J.N., Ndako., K.J and Maduforo., A.N (2015). Nutrient and Sensory Quality of Soymilk produced from different improved varieties of soybean. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, (Vol 14 No. 12). pp 898-906.