Andrew Iheanyi Ogbonna
Present Address: School of Engineering, Federal University of
Technology, P.M.B. 1526, Owerri. Imo State, Nigeria.
Engr. A. I. Ogbonna is a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering with over 30 years of teaching and researching experience and has published over 30 papers in both national and international journals and conferences. He has also supervised (successfully) more than 200 undergraduate students in the Department and has written and published 3 chapters in a major text on Manufacturing Technology for graduates and undergraduates. Engr. A. I. Ogbonna has been the Exams Officer in the Department from 1989 to 2015 and has also served as the Chairman School of Engineering and Engineering Technology (SEET) Exams Misconduct Committee for 4 years. He also currently a member of the University Congregational Committee on Students Discipline. Engr. A. I. Ogbonna was awarded the Distinguished Lecturer of the Year 2007 by the National Body of the Nigerian Association of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering Students (NAMMES) as well as an award of Excellence by FUTO chapter in the year 2013. He is also a member of the Nigerian Society of Engineers (MNSE) as well as a member of Foundry Association of Nigeria (MFAN), and a member of the Institute of Materials and Metallurgy, United Kingdom.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATION
Jan 1965 – Dec 1971: WASC, Division 11
Jan 1972: University of London G.C.E O’ Level with Credits in English Language, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
1976-1977: Hounslow Borough College; College Certificate in Glass Technology. Diploma in Scientific Glass Blowing.
1977-1979: Advanced Courses in Science, Glass Technology and Sciences, Glass Technology and Scientific Glass Blowing. Ordinary National Diploma with Upper credit in all subjects studied. Courses include Major Chemistry and Mathematics, Physics Biology and Medical Laboratory Science.
1980-1983: Bachelor of Metallurgy (B. Met) Second Class Honours Lower Division University of Sheffield, U.K.
1983-1984: Master of Metallurgy (M.Met) University of Sheffield, U.K.
1972-1975: Tutor in Mathematics and Physics, Government Secondary School, Etche, Rivers State, Nigeria.
1979: Worked in Ripolin Paint Industry, Southall Middlesex, England.
1980: Vacation jobs with Metallurgical Industries – Industrial Tours of metallurgical Industries in the Midland Region of the U.K.
1985-1986: NYSC, Lecturer in Applied Chemistry, University of Cross River State, Uyo, Nigeria
1986-1987: Part-Time Lecturer, School of Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria.
Courses: – Steel Making Technology
- Process Metallurgy
- Metal forming processes.
- to Engineering Materials
1986-1987: Part-Time Lecturer, School of Engineering, College of Technology, Owerri, Nigeria
Courses: – Physical Metallurgy
- Mechanical Metallurgy
- Extraction Metallurgy.
- Vacuum Techniques
- To Engineering Materials
- Workshop practice for Engineers
August 1987: Full-Time Appointment as Assistant Lecturer in Metallurgy, School of Engineering Technology, Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I was subsequently promoted to Lecturer 11 in August 1990 and to lecturer 1 in 1993. I was promoted to Senior Lecturer six years later, the position I presently hold.
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTEREST
Fracture Mechanics, Foundry Technology of Light Alloys, Advanced Physical and Mechanical Metallurgy, Corrosion and high-temperature oxidation, Composites, Optical fibres as waveguides in communications, Welding Technology and Metallurgy of Engineering Materials generally.
SCHOLARSHIPS AND DISTINCTIONS
1976-1979: Federal Government of Nigeria (Federal Ministry of Education Scholarship Award).
1980-1983: Department of Education and Science, U.K. (Sheffield Education Authority).
2007: Distinguished Lecturer of the year award by the National Association of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering Students (NAMMES) Nationwide.
2009: Coordinator (MME Departmental Courses), Center for Continuing Education (CCE), FUTO
2012: Member, Congregational Committee on Student Discipline, FUTO
2013: Award of Excellence, National Association of Materials and Metallurgical Students, FUTO Chapter
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Member, Institute of Metals and Materials, England and Wales
- Member, Nigerian Metallurgical Society (NMS)
- Member, Foundry Association of Nigeria (FAN)
- Member, Nigeria Society of Engineers (NSE)
- “Aluminized coatings on superalloys” 1982 Research Seminar, University of Sheffield, U.K
- “High-Temperature Fracture in Super Alloys” 1982 Research Seminar, University of Sheffield, UK.
- “Developments in Oxygen Steel Making” 1982 Research Seminar, University of Sheffield, UK
- “Recent Studies in Creep Processes” 1982 Research Seminar, University of Sheffield, UK
- “High Strength Formable Steels” 1982 Research Seminar, University of Sheffield UK
- “Metallurgy in the Manufacture of Auto Components” 1987 Nigerian Metallurgical society conference, University of Ife, Nigeria. I have also carried out independent research works on microstructural evolution during hot rolling.
- 1989 Week Long Course in Fracture Mechanics in the School of Engineering, Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I presented a paper titled ‘Temperature and Rate Effects in Fracture’.
- (1997), A. I. Ogbonna and S. N. Asoegwu; “Corrosivity of specific metals in Melon Mucilage” A paper presented at the Nigeria Society of Agricultural Engineers, FUTO 1997.
- (1993), A. I, Ogbonna; “Fracture Mechanics Approach to Stress Corrosion Cracking”. Nigerian Metallurgical Society Conference, Hotel Presidential, Port-Harcourt, River State.
- Industrial Welding and Fabrication, Nigerian Society of Engineers, Metallurgical, Materials and Mining Division, 23rd – 25th July 2007, Lagos.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRODUCTIVE WORK 1999 – 2011
- (1990) A. I. Ogbonna, Design and Fabrication of Crystal Structure Models for effective teaching of Crystallography and Crystal Chemistry.
- (1997): A. I. Ogbonna, Design Fabrication of Blackboard dusters for use by the University.
- (1992) A.I. Ogbonna, “Design and Construction Heat Treatment Furnace capable of carburizing small and medium section engineering components”. A technical report on this project is enclosed which was carried out with the aid of a research grant from the University.
- I. Ogbonna (1993), Fracture Mechanics Approach to Stress Corrosion” Nigerian Metallurgical Society Conference, Port-Harcourt, River State. This paper was presented during the conferences.
- I. Ogbonna, and G. I. Nwandikom (1999) “Heat Treatment of Farm Tools” Nigerian Society of Agricultural Engineers, University of Maiduguri.
- I. Ogbonna and S. N. Asoegwu (1997), Corrosivity of Specific Metals in a Melon Mucilage Extractor Environment”. This paper was published in the proceedings of the Nigerian society of Agricultural Engineers held at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, 1997. Vol. 19, pp 292 – 296
- I. Ogbonna et al (1999); “Strategic Mineral Deposits in Nigeria – the case of Niobotantalates. This paper has been published in the proceedings of the Nigerian Metallurgical Society held in Abuja, Nigeria.
- I. Ogbonna, O. O. Onyemaobi (2002), “Composites in Nigerian Industry” This paper was published in the proceedings of Nigerian Metallurgical Society held in Enugu.
- I. Ogbonna et al, (2000), “Stability of some Selected Coatings in Simulated Oil Pipeline Environments”. Paper published in the proceedings of the Nigerian Corrosion Association.
- I. Ogbonna (1998); Bursting Pressure and Thermal Shock Tests on Glass Containers”. This paper has been published in the Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology, Vol 6, pp 1455 – 1455.
- I. Ogbonna and S. N. Asoegwu (1998), “Corrosivity of some Metals in Melon Mucilage Extractor Environment. This paper has been published in the Journal of Nigerian Association of Corrosion Engineers.
- I. Ogbonna (1999); Creep Simulation Tests on Low Melting Point Metals. This paper has been published in the Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology.
- I. Ogbonna and O. M. I. Nwafor (1998), “Effect of Injection Timing on the Performance of Rape Seed Oil in Diesel Engine” World Renewable Energy Journal, Reading, U.K.
- I. Ogbonna, S.N. Asoegwu et al (2004); “Corrosion Susceptibility of Squeeze Cast Aluminum based Metal-Matrix Composites” Journal of Corrosion Science and Technology.
- N. Asoegwu, A. I. Ogbonna et al (2004); “Automobile Cooling System: The Effect of Anti-rust Agents”, Journal of Corrosion Science and Technology.
- I. Ogbonna, “Creep Simulation Tests on Low Melting Point Alloys” (2000). Journal of Metallurgy and Materials Engineering; Nigerian Metallurgical Society.
- E. Okorafor and A. I. Ogbonna; Corrosion Detection and Control in Air Craft Structures, Nara Int. Journal on Air Safety (2008), FUTO.
- I. Ogbonna and O. E. Okorafor; Titanium Alloys for Aerospace Applications; Nara Int. Journal on Air Safely (2008), FUTO.
- I. Nwoye, A. I. Ogbonna et al; Model for Quantitative Analysis of Phosphorous Removed during Leaching of Iron Oxide Ore in Oxalic Acid Solution: Journal of Minerals Characterization and Engineering (2010), USA Vol 9, No 4
- I. Ogbonna and E. N. C. Okafor, Treatment Procedures for Itakpe Iron Ore Deposits in Kogi State Nigeria, (2010) Int. Journal of Academic Research, Vol 2, No 4, Azerbaijan.
- E. O. Ovri, A. I. Ogbonna et al, (2010) Corrosion Protection and Control of Steel Reinforcement Rods in Concrete. Global Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol 3, No 3 (2010) pp 559-565.
- C. Ugwuegbu and A. I. Ogbonna (2011) Effect of Microstructural Changes on the Mechanical Properties of Hot Worked C-Mn Steel, Int. Journal of Academic Research, Vol. 3. No. 6, Part 1, Azerbaijan, pp 207-213
- F. Uzoh, A. I. Ogbonna and Z. C. Uzoh (2014) Superior Performance of Fibonacci Title Translation in Database Operations of Modern GSM Network Architecture. International Journal of Computer Engineering and Intelligent Systems, Vol. 5, No. 6, International Institute for Science, Technology and Education (IISTE), USA, pp 17-26
TECHNICAL REPORT/WORKSHOP SEMINAR PAPERS
- (1992); “Design and Construction of a Heart Treatment Furnace”. This work was carried out with a research grant from the University.
- (1993); A. I. Ogbonna and T. Iorna; “Microstructural Evolution during Rolling of Aladja Steels and its Effects on Mechanical Properties.
INVITED PAPERS IN WORKSHOPS AND SEMINARS
- (1999) A. I. Ogbonna, “Corrosion Mitigation and Control Measures”; A paper delivered during the Nigerian Corrosion Association workshop on Corrosion in Manufacturing Industries and Boiler Treatments, Kaduna, Nigeria.
- (1999) A. I. Ogbonna “High-temperature Corrosion” A paper delivered during the Nigerian Corrosion Association workshop on Corrosion in Manufacturing Industries and Boiler Treatment Kaduna, Nigeria.
- (2000), A. I. Ogbonna, “Metallurgy, Solid Mineral Deposits and National Development. A paper delivered during the National Association of Metallurgical Engineering Students’ Conference in the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. This paper was published in the proceedings.
PROF. O. O. ONYEMAOBI
Federal University of Technology,
P. M. B. 1526, Owerri.
PROF. G. I. NWANDIKOM
School of Engineering and Engineering Technology,
Federal University of Technology,
P. M. B. 1526, Owerri.
PROF. C. N. ANYAKWO
Head of Department,
Materials and Metallurgical Engineering,
Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
PROF. V.O. NWOKO (RETIRED)
Federal University of Agriculture
Umudike, Abia State.