Prof. James Ejenike Ogagorojo Ovri
Professor of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering
Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering,
The Federal University of Technology, P.M.B. 1526, Owerri, Nigeria.
The fabrication, characterization and fracture of the behaviour of new engineering materials which are used for high integrity applications such as the gas turbine engine, the wing of an aeroplane and other high strength and temperature applications(Emerging Technology) is the main focus of Prof. Ovri’s research interest. The basic interest in these materials stems from their lightweight, high-temperature strength retention, hardness and inertness under severely corrosive/aggressive environments. However, these materials often present difficulties in their fabrication to high density whilst maintaining sufficiently high purity. This difficulty is thought to be associated with the covalent bonding and the lack of diffusive processes to provide material transport for densification. Prof.Ovri is interested in the fabrication of these materials. Especially the liquid phase pressureless sintering and the bonding of the naturally occurring elements (Nano-technology). The fracture behaviour of these materials at room and elevated temperatures are also of prime interest to Prof.Ovri.
Prof. Ovri is currently working on the biaxial strength testing of these materials with a view of establishing a biaxial strength testing method for brittle materials. The current world attention on climatic condition has caught Prof.Ovri’s attention, but here we are looking at the effect of corrosion on the environment. We are interested in pipeline integrity management, taking into account all the statutory requirements to ensure pipelines do not fail while in service thereby avoiding oil spills with its devastating effects on the environment- pollution of air, surface and underground water, destruction of flora and fauna, fire outbreak, and fatality. Prof.Ovri has also worked on cathodic protection and microbial corrosion of mild, medium, high carbon steels and aluminium at room temperatures.
To view or download CV highlight the link, right-click to copy, then paste and enter it on a new page –> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BytJJ6Jl8UOYOXltQXlqc3JXNWs
Academic and Professional Qualification
- B.Sc. (Hons.), Applied Physics(Materials Option), University of Benin, Benin-City, Nigeria
- M.Sc., 1982, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Brunel University, Uxbridge-London, UK.
- PhD, 1986, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, University of Manchester, Institute of Science and Technology, Manchester, UK.
- Bendel State Secondary School Scholarship Award, 1972-1974.
- Bendel State Postgraduate Scholarship Award, 1980-1982.
- Federal Government of Nigeria Scholarship Award, 1984-1986.
- Materials and Metallurgical Engineering.
- Fabrication and Mechanical Property Evaluation of
- Engineering Materials
- Corrosion Science and Engineering
- Failure Analysis and Mechanical Testing.
Positions and Employment
- Federal University of Technology, Owerri, Professor/Former HOD, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering Department
- The government of Delta State, Rector, Delta State Polytechnic, Ogwashi-Uku, 2002-2006
- Member, Board of Directors, Bendel Steel Structures Ltd, Warri, 1994-1995
- Senior Corrosion Engineer, Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria limited, Warri, 1999-2000
- HSE/ISO 14001 Trainer, Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria limited, Warri, 2000-2002
- Post Doctoral Research Fellow, University of Manchester, Institute of Science and Technology, 1986-1987
- Senior Research Metallurgist, Delta Steel Company Limited, Warri, Nigeria, 1982-1987.
- Member, Nigeria Society of Engineers (In View) Member, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, London.
- Member, Nigerian Corrosion Association.
Membership of professional bodies
- Member, Nigeria Society of Engineers (In View)
- Member, Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, London
- Member, Nigerian Corrosion Association
- Chartered Engineer, C.Eng (R608902)
- J. E. Ovri and T. J. Davies. 1988. ‘Uniaxial and Biaxial J. E. O. Ovri and T. J. Davies. ‘Effect of Composition on the Fracture Strength of Sintered Silicon Stride” Published in Science of Ceramics 14, 607 – 613.
- Onuoha and J.E.O. Ovri, (2015) “Characterization of Some Nigerian Clays for Electrical Porcelain Applications”. International Journal of Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 1, No. 3, July 2015, pp. 113-119.
- J.E.O. Ovri and O.P. Umukoro, (2015) “Compressive and Flexural Strength of Self-Compacting Concrete using Rice Husk Ash”, International Journal of Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 1 No. 3, July 2015, pp. 80-85
- Iroh, J.E.O. Ovri, and U. Unachukwu (2016). “The Compressive and Flexural Strength of Self Compacting Concrete using Rice Husk and Lime Stone”, International Journal of Min. Sci. (IJMS), Vol. 2, Issue 2, 2016, pp. 1-5.
- J.E.O. Ovri and M.Iroh,2013: Corrosion Effect of Gas Flaring on Roofing Sheet in Imo State, Nigeria, Inter. Journ.Eng. Sci., (IJES), Vol. 2 Issue 1, PP339-346.
- A.C. Iyasara and J.E.O.Ovri,2013: Corrosion Inhibition of Stainless Steel (314L) Using Molasses, Inter. Journ.Eng. Sci., (IJES), Vol. 2 Issue 1, PP346-352.
- J.E.O.Ovri, S.I.Okeahialam, O.O. Onyemaobi, 2013: Microbial Corrosion of Mild and Medium Carbon Steels, Vol.8, Issue 3.
- J.E.O. Ovri and M.Iroh, 2011: Design and Installation of a Cathodic Protection System Using a Magnesium Anode, Intern. Journ. of Acad. Res., Vol.3 No.1, Jan. 31st, 96-101.
- C.I.Nwoye and J.E.O. Ovri, 2010: Model For Calculating the Concentration of Dissolved Iron Relative to the Weight-Input of Iron Oxide Ore And Final Solution pH During Nitric Acid Leaching, Journal.Eng.Sci.andTechn.,Vol.5,No.2, Jun.,151-164.
- J.E.O.Ovri, A.I. Ogbonna and O.O.Akinyemi, 2010: Corrosion Protection And Control Of Reinforcing Steel Rods In Concrete, Glob. Journ.Of Eng. And Tech., Vol.3 No. 3,559-565.
- J. O. Ovri. 2000. ‘A parametric study of the Biaxial Strength Test for Brittle Materials’ Materials Chemistry and Physics 66, 1- 5.
- J. E. O. Ovri and T. J. Davies. 1987. ‘Effect of Surface Condition on the Flexural Strength of Sintered Silicon Nitri J. Mater. Sci.: Letts. 847 – 850.
- J. O. Ovri and T. J. Davies. 1987. ‘Diametral-Compression of Silicon Nitride’. J. Mater Sci. Eng. 96, 109 – 116.
- J. E. O. Ovri and T. J. Davies. ‘Effect of Composition on the Fracture Strength of Hot-Pressed Silicon Nitride’. J. Mater, Sci. 23, 1817 – 1824.
- Strengths of a Sintered Ferrite’ Published in Science of Ceramics 14, 599 – 60.
- J. E. O. Ovri. & H. Ovri. 2008. “Effects of Microstructure on the Corrosion Behaviour of Medium Carbon Steel”. GJPAS, Vol. 14, No. 2, 209 – 212.