You are welcome to the Department of Computer Science in the School of Computing and Information Technology at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. The department offers a wide range of innovative and challenging programmes intended to produce graduates with balanced knowledge of theory and practice to meet the need for skilled computer professionals for national development. Some of our objectives include the following:
- Provision of a broad-based training in Computer Science with due regard to moral and ethical obligations.
- Provision of a conduce environment for proficiency in effective communication, teamwork skills, out-of-the-box thinking and innovation in the development of computer systems, and applications.
The department of Computer Science offers both undergraduate and post-graduate programmes; Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech), Post Graduate Diploma (PGD), Masters (M.Sc.) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees. The B.Tech curriculum has been revised to include trending topics such as Cloud Computing, Big Data Analytics, Artificial Intelligence, Computer Graphics, Networking, Cybersecurity, Internet of Things (IoT), etc.
The postgraduate programs produce experts with a deeper knowledge in the following areas of specialization:
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Big data and Analytics
- Distributed, Net-centric and Virtual Computing
- Software Engineering and Social Networking
- Smart and embedded systems
- Hardware and Mechatronic systems
- Robotic and Intelligent Systems
The seasoned and dedicated staff of Computer Science Department collaborate extensively with all other departments within the University, with other universities and with the industry to ensure the department is up to date with teaching and research.