Philosophy and Objectives of the programme
- (i) Philosophy of programme:
The Philosophy of the first degree programme of this Department is aimed at producing self-reliant graduates in Information Management Technology, who possess requisite high academic standard integrated with superior practical training in Information Technology (IT) and Information Technology Management specializations, and who are immediately productive in self or other gainful (industrial/government) employment in IT area.
- (ii) Objectives:
The general objective of IMT department is to produce graduates of proven ability who are equipped with knowledge and skills in Information and Communication Technology (ICT), decision making, especially those needed for recognizing, defining and solving Information Technology problems in the world. For now, the Department of Information Management Technology offers the Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) Degree in Information Management Technology.
The specific objectives of the Department of Information Management Technology are:
- • To provide basic knowledge and skills for the understanding of problems in Information Technology and Management for a scientific, industrial and public application.
- • To equip students with knowledge and skills in decision making, especially those needed for recognizing, defining, and solving information technology problems in the industry.
- • To foster the proper application of information technology in the solution of management problems, and help create the entrepreneurial ability necessary for self-employment.
- • To train technocrat-managers who can manage effectively the information systems of many organizations in Nigeria and abroad.
- • To provide the training of the technocrat-managers locally since overseas training is not cost effective. This training is to assist, among other things, the Federal Government's effort in the repositioning of the Nigerian economy.
- • To produce graduates with proven ability who would acquire the capability of making an effective contribution at the management level to the overall planning, policy-making and management of information technology in Nigeria.
- • To contribute to the development of Information Technology in Nigeria through a joint research seminar and workshop activities with national and international organizations and firms.
- (i) UTME Entry Requirements:
5 'O' Level credits including English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and anyone other subject such as Economics, Geography, Computer Science, Further Mathematics, Biology, Agricultural Science, at not more than 2 sittings (with possible combinations as WAEC/WAEC, WAEC/GCE, WAEC/NECO, GCE/GCE, GCE/NECO, NECO/NECO, NABTEB – at one sitting only).
- (ii) Direct Entry Requirements:
- • HSC/GCE 'A Level credits in 3 relevant subjects with SC/GCE 'O' Level credits (including English Language) and 2 other subjects at not more than 2 sittings.
- • Holders of good National Diploma (ND) / Higher National Diploma (HND) or their equivalents in Computer Science, Computer Engineering and any other science or Technology, are eligible for admission into year two/year three respectively.
- • In addition to fulfilling the conditions stipulated in (ii) bullet points (1) and (2) above, their holders must obtain 5 ‘O’ level credit passes as specified in UTME entry requirements in (i) above.
(To include the period of formal studies, Industrial Training, Project etc.):
- (i) Expected Duration of the Programme
A student will not be allowed to exceed an additional 50 per cent of the duration of the programme if he fails to graduate within the minimum number of years.
- (ii) UTME
Five years is the minimum for UTME candidates.
MBA Programme Structure
The MBA in Information Management Technology requires a minimum of 62 credit units made up as follows:
Eighteen core courses - 62
One elective course - 2
MBA seminar - 2
MBA dissertation - 6
TOTAL - 62