The Federal University of Technology, Owerri, was established in 1980 primarily to ensure the technological development of Nigeria. The University has pursued this mandate with vigour. The School of Management Technology has programmes in Project Management Technology, Financial Management Technology, Information Management Technology, Maritime Management Technology, Transport Management Technology, and Management Technology.
Technology is the central and most significant element for effective operations management in today’s organizations. It is a body of knowledge used to create tools, develop skills, extract or collect materials that would substantially reduce human labour and significantly enhance the wellbeing of people. It is also the application of science (the combination of scientific methods and materials) to meet an objective or solve a problem. Therefore, Management Technology is the integration of policies and practices, organisational and leadership theories, communication processes and deployment of technological advances in the context of organisational growth and development. The undergraduate B. Tech. curriculum in Management Technology is the creative and innovative activities designed to expose students to learning experiences that would position them adequately for managerial tasks in public and private sector organisations. Management Technology is a multidisciplinary programme that prepares managers in organisations to manage their technological fundamentals to create competitive advantage. It involves integrated planning, design, optimization, operation and control of technological products, processes and services.
Furthermore, humanity is facing numerous environmental, social, economic, political, health, educational, conflict/war, religious and poverty challenges. This is where management comes in because the real difference between an organisation that achieves its goals efficiently and effectively and the other that fails to do the same is management. The short and long term devastating consequences hitherto facing humanity make the training of the 21st-century managers very imperative. This revision has, therefore, become very necessary to ensure that; (1) the science, technology and engineering components of the curriculum are satisfied and (2) students are exposed to knowledge, skills and tools needed in the 21st-century knowledge economy.
The philosophy is the belief that training in this discipline will develop the mind, impart both theoretical and practical knowledge on the individual student, develop self-confidence, help to be innovative and self-reliant in the field of Management Technology.
To produce trained manpower in the field of Management Technology who are able to contribute to the management of the production industry and public institutions.
The objectives of the degree programme in Management Technology include:-
- ♣ To produce graduates with technological knowledge and skills needed for the understanding and analysis of problems in the management of industrial, commercial, public and other human organizations.
- ♣ To produce graduates with entrepreneurial spirit and skills needed for recognizing, defining and solving problems for re-engineering of the Nigerian economy.
- ♣ To develop in students, leadership and interpersonal relations skills for effective and efficient management of 21st-century organizations.
- ♣ To produce competent middle and upper-level managers who will contribute in planning, policy-making and management of organizations in the globalized knowledge economy.
- ♣ To establish linkages and partnerships with other national and international organizations engaged in education, research and development activities in the field of management technology.