The Department was established in 1982 as one of the foundation programmes of the Federal University of Technology Owerri (FUTO). It admitted its first batch of undergraduate students in 1983/84 academic year with eight(s) number students. This first batch graduated in the 1987/88 academic session. Postgraduate programmes started in the Department in the early 1990s. Since then, the Department has been producing graduates with B.Tech degrees, postgraduate Diploma MBA, M.Sc. and PhD degrees in Project Management Technology.
The philosophy of the Project Management Technology Programme is to develop individuals with techno-managerial skills needed to drive and support economic growth and the application of systems approach to the management of projects within the objective constraints of time, cost and programme parameters.
The programme's mission is to train and develop techno-managers who can successfully plan and execute developmental projects within the available resources constraints for the general benefit of the society at large.
The vision of the Department is to develop a Centre of Excellence South of Sahara where quality teaching and research are delivered for the purpose of training professionals in Project Management Technology who will adapt skills and align strategic training to enhance the delivery of quality projects for national development.
The objectives of the department include among others
- 1. To train and hence produce technological managers who can efficiently and effectively manage technological oriented organizations and enterprises in all sectors of the natural economy.
- 2. To train project personnel to be able to understand and appreciate the relationship between project executions and operations in order to achieve the stakeholder’s goals and aspirations.
- 3. To equip students with adequate knowledge and skills that will enhance their performance capabilities.
- 4. To establish appropriate linkages and relationships with other natural and international institution and bodies who are engaged in education, research and development activities in the field of management technology.
- 5. To produce professionals who are equipped with policy formulation and implementation skills.
MODE OF STUDY
The studies can be carried out either on a full time or part-time basis.
- i. B. Tech is on a full-time basis for a minimum period of 10 semesters and a maximum period of 14 semesters.
- ii. MBA runs for a minimum of 4 semesters and a maximum of 7 semesters.
- iii. M.Sc. runs for a minimum of 2 semesters and a maximum of 7 semesters.
- iv. PhD is for a minimum period of 6 semesters and a maximum of 12 semesters
- v. PGD programme runs for 2 semesters
LEADERSHIP OF THE DEPARTMENT
- 1. Dr C.C. Ntamere - Inception to 1991
- 2. Mr F.A. Obiocha - 1991-1993
- 3. Mr C.M. Anyaogu - 1993-1997
- 4. Mr F.A. Obiocha - Jan. 1995-June 1995
- 5. Dr G.E. Nworuh - 1995-2000
- 6. Dr M.U. Anuolam - 2000-2002
- 7. Dr E.O.P. Akpan - 2002-2004
- 8. Dr E.E. Chigbu - 2004-2005
- 9. Dr G.F. Okorafor - 2005-2008
- 10. Dr S.M. Nzotta - 2008-2009
- 11. Dr E.C. Ubani - Jan. 2010-Feb.2011
- 12. Dr O.T. Ebiringa - Feb. 2011-July 2011
- 13. Engr Prof. F.P.O. Ukwuoma - July 2011-July 2016
- 14. Dr K.A. Okorocha - July 2014-July 2016
- 15. Dr C.C. Nwachukwu - July 2016-June 2017
- 16. Prof. G.F. Okorafor - July 2017-Date