School of Biological Sciences (SOBS) Constitutes various fields of coordinated studies aimed at harvesting the natural biological capabilities of living organisms. The School of Biological Sciences comprises of Department of Biochemistry that studies the natural constitution of living matter and maintenance of living of life in organisms, department of Biotechnology that focuses in developing and improving products and processes made from or for living systems and department of microbiology that studies microorganism and their applications and implications in health and the environment. Department of Forensic Science focuses on the deployment of scientific investigations and other logical methodologies in settling disputes and solving crimes with tasks involving collection and preservation of materials (such as trace/contact evidence from crime scenes), laboratory analysis of samples, accurate interpretation of results and testifying as an expert witness in a court of law.
Indeed, the study of life sciences can take up, most of the productive years of individuals involving fields and laboratory studies.
The SOBS is administered through the committee system. The most important of the committees is the School Board of Studies which is a committee of all academic staff with the Dean of SOBS as chairman. The School Board of Studies is responsible for all decisions making in the school of the SOBS and is responsible to the senate of the University.
PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
The philosophy of the School of Biological Sciences, Federal University of Technology Owerri is to provide adequate opportunity and in-depth training to expose students in Biochemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Microbiology and Forensic Science. This is with a view to equipping the students in inter-disciplinary research work in the natural sciences. The emphasis of the school of Biological Sciences is on developing the skills and knowledge necessary for application in natural science challenges including Bio-engineering, Bio-physics, Biostatics and production processes.
- To expose students to a wide knowledge of natural sciences foundation and the required practical skills.
- To provide training and appreciation of inter and multi-disciplinary study to the solution of natural science challenges.
- To develop in students an appreciation of biological science approach in Industrial, economic, environmental, technological and social improvement.
- To adequately train students on the principles and procedures of inter-disciplinary research work in natural sciences.
- To develop in students an appreciation of achieving, stimulating and satisfying experience of studying and learning.
To produce world-class graduates with exceptionally high competences in Biological Sciences, technology and entrepreneurship, to the benefit of Nigeria and the world at large.
To engender technologically and practically oriented training in Biological Sciences geared towards enhancing creativity, self-employment and transformation of the national economy.