Candidates to be admitted into the B. Tech Biotechnology programme must possess the following qualifications;
Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) Requirement:
- An acceptable level of a pass in the UTME in the following subject combination: English Language, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Credit level pass in at least five subjects in SSCE (or WASCE/GCE Ordinary Level/NECO examination) in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
Direct Entry (DE) Requirement:
- An acceptable level of pass in’ at least two subjects in General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level or Higher School Certificate (HSC) in Biology (Botany or Zoology) and Chemistry or This is in addition to O’level pass in the relevant subjects listed above.
- Holders of National Diploma (ND/OND) certificate with a minimum of Upper Credit in the above subject combination will be eligible for admission provided the candidates have passed at credit level in relevant subjects in at least 5 (five) GCE 0′ Level! WASCE/ NECO/SSCE.
DURATION OF B.TECH DEGREE PROGRAMME
Normally the duration of B.Tech. Biotechnology degree programme is five years for UTME (Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination) candidates admitted into 100 level, and four years for DE (Direct Entry) candidates admitted into 200 level.
Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) degree programme is for a duration of five years. The first two years (l00 and 200 levels) give students foundation in general biology, allied natural sciences and general studies. The last three years (300 -500 levels) expose students to different perspectives of Biotechnology. Throughout the five years of study, students undergo well-planned practical and field classes and excursion. In addition, students go for industrial training two times during the programme:
- Long vacation at the end of the 200 level;
- Six-month Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) in the Rain semester of 400 level.
In the final year, each student gives a seminar based on supervised library research and carries out a double- semester supervised research project on which a report is submitted and viva-voce conducted.