Dr Chijioke A. Nsofor
Department of Biotechnology, School of Science,
Federal University of Technology Owerri, Nigeria.
Excellent team player and committed to goal achievement.
Effective interpersonal skills, creating effective working relationships.
Self-motivated with a willingness and ability to take and implement decisions.
Highly analytical with good communication, planning, organizing and troubleshooting skills.
Excellent presentation skills in both verbal and written English.
- Community Services
- Fudan University, China – (2015-2016) Postdoctoral Scholar. Molecular Epidemiology of Drug-Resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Shanghai China.
- The University of Konstanz, Germany – (2014-2014) TWAS-DFG Visiting Scientist. Fellow Virulence Factor Repertoire of Nigerian Isolates of Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
- The University of Nigeria – (2008-2012) PhD Medical Microbiology. Molecular Epidemiology of Drug-Resistant Escherichia coli Isolates of Human and Animal Origin in Nigeria.
- Washington State University, USA – (2010- 2010) WSU-Visiting Research Scholar. Molecular Characterization of Drug-Resistant Escherichia coli Isolates of Human and Animal Origin.
- The University of Nigeria – (2005-2008) M.Sc. Medical Microbiology. Distribution and Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern of Streptococcus pneumoniae among Asymptomatic and Symptomatic Individuals in Nsukka, Nigeria.
- The University of Nigeria – (1999-2003) B.Sc. (Honours) (second class upper division) Microbiology. Isolation and Characterization of Microorganisms Associated with Spoilage of Tomato.
My primary research interests are the use of comparative and functional genomics to understand bacterial diversity, cellular and molecular mechanisms of bacterial pathogenesis and antibiotics resistance, study host-pathogen interactions, identify vaccine candidates and drug targets to cure infectious diseases.
I have supervised more than 30 undergraduates and postgraduate students at Madonna University Elele, Imo State University Owerri and the Federal University of Technology Owerri on different Honours Research Project Topics.
- 2013-present: Department of Biotechnology, Federal University of Technology Owerri: Lecturer I
- 2011-2013: Department of Microbiology, Imo State University Owerri, Nigeria: Lecturer 11
- 2008-2011: Department of Microbiology, Madonna University Elele, Nigeria: Assistant Lecturer
- (2004-2005) Graduate Assistant: Department of Microbiology, Madonna University Nigeria.
- Member, Departmental Postgraduate Committee 2013-present
- Member, Departmental Conference and Seminar Committee 2013-2014
- Member, University Annual Review Committee 2012-2013
- Member, Departmental Curriculum Review Committee, 2014
- Member, Faculty Examinations Committee, 2011-2012
- Departmental Examinations Officer, 2009-2011.
- Prof. C.R Hauck. Department of Molecular Biology, University of Konstanz, Germany. 2014- Present. Virulence Factor Repertoire of Nigerian Isolates of Neisseria gonorrhoeae.
- Prof. Qian Gao, Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University China. 2015- Present. Molecular Epidemiology of Drug-Resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis
- Prof. Douglas Call. Department of Microbiology and Pathology, Washington State University, Pullman USA. Molecular Characterization of Multidrug-Resistant E.coli Isolates of Human and Animal Origin in Nigeria, 2010- 2013.
- Statens Serum Institut Denmark (SSI) Serotyping of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates from Nsukka, Nigeria using pneumococcal pooled sera.2006-2008
- Dr Russell L. Kelvin and Dr Guillermo Pimentel. United States Naval Medical Research Unit 3 (NAMRU-3) Cairo, Egypt: Using the E-test technique to determine the antibiotic susceptibility pattern of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates from Nsukka, Nigeria.2006-2007
- Dr Russell L. Kelvin and Dr Guillermo Pimentel. United States Naval Medical Research Center (NHRC) California, USA: Characterization of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates from Nsukka, Nigeria to strain level using the pneumococcal monovalent factor sera.2007-2007
- Reviewer, Journal of Bacteriology Research 2013-present
- Reviewer, African Journal of Microbiology Research 2013-present
- Reviewer, British Journal of Microbiology Research 2014-present
Honours and Distinctions
- 2015 Postdoctoral Scholar: Shanghai Medical College, Fudan University China.
- 2014 TWAS-DFG Visiting Scientist Fellowship, University of Konstanz, Germany.
- 2011 Guest Lecturer: World AIDS Day Celebration, Madonna University Nigeria
- 2011 Best Undergraduate Teacher, Department of Microbiology, Madonna University Nigeria
- 2010 Visiting Research Scholar, Washington State University Pullman, USA.
- 2010 Oversea Travel Grant: Madonna University, Nigeria.
- 1995 Best graduating student for the 1994/1995 academic session at Secondary Technical School Akokwa, Imo State, Nigeria.
CONFERENCES AND PAPER PRESENTATION
- The Nigeria Society for Microbiology Conference held at Abia State University Uturu, Nigeria 13th -17th October 2008. (Antibiotic Susceptibility Pattern and Serotype Distribution of Streptococcus Pneumoniae among Asymptomatic and Symptomatic Individuals in Nsukka, Nigeria).
- The Nigeria Society for Microbiology Conference held at Osun State University Oshogbo, Nigeria 22nd-26th November 2009. (Extremely High Prevalence of Multidrug-Resistant Escherichia coli among the Birds in Madonna University Poultry, Elele, Nigeria).
- The Nigeria Society for Microbiology Conference held at Federal University of Technology Owerri 11th -22nd October 2010. (The Genetic Diversity of Drug-Resistant Escherichia coli Isolates in Nigeria).
- The Nigeria Society for Microbiology Conference held at Bayero University Kano 9th -13th October 2011 (Nasal Carriage of Multidrug-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus among School Children in Elele Nigeria).
- Foundation for African Development through International Biotechnology (FADIB) 20th Conference/Workshop held at Enugu 6th – 8th August 2014. (Conjugation efficiency of human antibiotic resistant Escherichia coli isolates from different regions of Nigeria).
- Sweden-China VR-NSFC joint program conference on cutting-edge knowledge and innovations for improved MDR-TB control held at Fudan University China 10-12 October 2015
- The International Epigenomics Conference held at Fudan University China 19-20 October 2015
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Nigeria Society for Microbiology (NSM).
- American Society for Microbiology (ASM).
- The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Diseases (The Union).
- Guest Lecturer: World AIDS Day Celebration, Madonna University Nigeria, December 2011.
- Secretary, Isiokpo Town Union Owerri Branch 2013-present
- Volunteer Teacher, Children Religious Education, St. Peeters International Parish Shanghai China.
- Nsofor C.A, Nwokenkwo V.N and Ohale C.U (2016). Prevalence and Antibiotic Susceptibility Pattern of Staphylococcus aureus Isolated from Various Clinical Specimens in South East Nigeria. MOJ Cell Science & Report 3 (2), 00054. DOI: 10.15406/mojcsr.2016.03.000
- Peng Xu, Jie Wu, Chongguang Yang, Tao Luo, Xin Shen, Yangyi Zhang, Chijioke A Nsofor, Guofeng Zhu, Brigitte Gicquel and Qian Gao (2016). Prevalence and transmission of pyrazinamide-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis in China. Tuberculosis 98, 56-61
- Nsofor C.A, Onuchukwu O, and Ohiaeri G (2016). Antibiotic Susceptibility Pattern of Escherichia coli Isolates from Human and Animal Specimens in Owerri, Nigeria. Bull. Env. Pharmacol. Life Sci 5, 33-36
- Nsofor C.A, Obijuru C.E and Ozokwor C.L (2016). Asymptomatic Bacteriuria among Female Students of a Tertiary Institution in Southeast Nigeria. EC Bacteriology and Virology Research 2 (3), 106-112.
- Nsofor C.A and N.C.D Ukwandu (2016). Transfer of Resistance Plasmids between Escherichia coli Isolates from Domestic Livestock. EC Microbiology. 3 (1), 402-408
- Nsofor C.A (2016). Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis (PFGE): Principles and Applications in Molecular Epidemiology: A Review. Int. J. Curr. Res. Med. Sci 2 (2), 38-51
- Chikezie, U. N, Nsofor C.A, Adjeroh L.A, Ogbulie T. E, Udensi, J.U and Oyirioha K.C (2016). An Evaluation of the Phytochemical and Nutritional Compositions of Fresh Leaves of Cnidoscolus Aconitifolius. International Journal of Research Studies in Biosciences 4(6) 21-28
- Nsofor C.A, Okaro C.C, and Nsofor C.M (2015). Antibiotic Susceptibility Pattern of Clinical Salmonella Isolates from Patients Attending Hospitals in Owerri Metropolis Nigeria. Int. J. Adv. Res. Biol. Sci. 2(12): 137-141
- Nsofor C.A, Ohale, C.U. and Nnamchi, C.I (2015). Distribution and Antibiotics Susceptibility Pattern of Staphylococcus aureus Isolates from Health Care Workers in Owerri, Nigeria. Scholarly Journal of Biological Science Vol. 4(4), pp. 29-32,
- Nsofor C.A, Anyanwu N.C and Ogbulie T.E (2015). High Antibiotic Resistance Pattern Observed in Bacterial Isolates from a Tertiary Hospital in South East Nigeria. International Journal of Research in Pharmacy and Biosciences. 2(7):1-6
- Nsofor C.A, Nwokenkwo V.N and Nwaokpa C. (2015). Nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus among apparently Healthy School Children in Owerri Metropolis, Nigeria. MOJ Cell Science & Report 2(4): 00038
- Nsofor C.A, Ogbulie TE and Ugbogu OC (2015). Whole Genome Sequencing: Bacterial Typing Revolutionized. Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology Research. 1 (3) 038-048.
- Nsofor C. A. and Mueller J. (2015). Molecular Cloning and Sequencing of xylanase gene from Penicillium chrysogenum. Global Advanced Research Journal of Microbiology 4(5) 060-063.
- Nsofor C. A. and Ukachukwu S. (2014). Prevalence of Multidrug-Resistant Escherichia coli among the Birds in Madonna University Poultry, Elele, Nigeria. Global Journal of Environmental Science and Technology: 2(8): 083-086
- Nsofor C.A., Chikezie U.N and Azuwuike C.O (2014). Antibacterial activity of Ocimum gratissimum leaves extract on Escherichia coli O157. Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences. 1(2): 15-18
- Nsofor C.A., Ume S.C and Uzor B.C (2014). Isolation and Characterization of Lactic Acid Bacteria from Ogi Sold in Elele Nigeria. Journal of Biological and Food Science Research. 3(2): 19-22
- Nsofor C.A., Ume S.C and Nsofor C.M (2014). Incidence and Antibiotic Susceptibility Pattern of Bacteria Isolated from Patients Admitted with Postoperative Infection at Federal Medical Center Owerri, Nigeria. Sky Journal of Microbiology Research 2(5): 037-044
- Nsofor C.A., Ogbulie T.E and Nsofor C.M (2014). Conjugation Efficiency of Human Antibiotic Resistant Escherichia coli Isolates from Different Regions of Nigeria. J. Pharm. Biomed Sci. 04(07):638-644.
- Nsofor C.A., Kemajou S.T and Nsofor C.M (2014). Incidence and Antibiotic Susceptibility pattern of Vibrio species Isolated from Sea Foods Sold in Port-Harcourt, Nigeria. Journal of Bacteriology Research 6(2) 13-16.
- Nsofor C.A (2014). DNA microarrays and their applications in medical microbiology. Biotechnology and Molecular Biology Reviews 9(1)1-11
- Ogbulie T.E., Nsofor C.A. and Nze F.C. (2014). Bacteria Species Associated with Ugba (Pentaclethra macrophylla) Produced traditionally and in the Laboratory and the Effect of Fermentation on Product of Oligosaccharide Hydrolysis. Nigerian Food Journal. 32(2) 73 – 80
- Nsofor C.A., Iroegbu C.U., Call D.R. and Davies M.A. (2013) Detection of Antibiotic Resistance Genes of Escherichia coli from Domestic Livestock in South East Nigeria with DNA Microarray. Journal of Cell Animal and Biology 7(12) 149- 163
- Nsofor C.A. and Iroegbu C.U. (2013). Plasmid profile of human Escherichia coli isolated from five Major Geopolitical zones of Nigeria. Journal of Microbiology and Antimicrobials 5(9), 97- 105
- Nsofor C. A., Iroegbu C.U., Davis M.A., Orfe L and Call D.R. (2013). DNA Microarray-Based Detection of Antibiotic Resistance Genes of Human Isolates of Escherichia coli in Nigeria. Journal of Bacteriology Research 5(6) 68-75
- Nsofor C. A., Iroegbu C.U., Davis M.A., Orfe L and Call D.R. (2013). The Genetic Relatedness of Drug-Resistant E.coli Isolates of Human and Animal Origin in Nigeria. International Journal of Genetics and Molecular Biology 5(3) 37-41
- Nsofor C.A. and Iroegbu C.U., (2013). Plasmid profile of antibiotic resistant Escherichia coli isolated from domestic animals in South-East Nigeria. Journal of Cell and Animal Biology 7(9), 109-115
- Nsofor C.A. and Iroegbu C.U, (2013). Antibiotic Resistance Profile of Escherichia coli Isolated from Five Major Geopolitical Zones of Nigeria. Journal of Bacteriology Research 5(3) 29-34
- Nsofor C.A., Olatoye I.O., Amosun E.A., Iroegbu C.U, Davis M.A., Orfe L and Call D.R. (2013). Escherichia coli from Nigeria exhibit a high prevalence of antibiotic resistance where reliance on antibiotics in poultry production is a potential contributing factor. African Journal of Microbiological Research 7(38) 4646-4654
- Anyanwu, N.C.J., John, W. C. and Nsofor C. A. (2013). Distribution and Multi-drug Resistance Pattern of Escherichia coli Isolated from Patients in Federal Medical Center, Owerri. Journal of Science 3 (1), 205-211.
- Nsofor C.A, Iroegbu C.U., Eze I.O and Nwabia B.C (2013). Nasal Carriage of Multidrug-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus among School Children in Elele Nigeria. International Journal of Microbiology and Immunology Research 1(2), 16-21
- Duru Majesty, Amadi Chioma, Amadi Benjamin, Nsofor Chijioke and Nze Humphrey (2013). Effect of Different Storage Vessels on Water Quality. Global Research Journal of Science. 2(2):9-13
- Nsofor C. A. and Iroegbu C.U., (2012). Antibiotic resistance profile of Escherichia coli isolated from apparently healthy domestic livestock in South East Nigeria. Journal of Cell and Animal Biology 6(6), 2445-2450.
- Nsofor C. A., Iroegbu C.U., Russell K.L. and Guillermo P. (2012) Antibiotic Susceptibility Pattern and Serotype Distribution of Streptococcus Pneumoniae among Asymptomatic and Symptomatic Individuals in Nsukka, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Microbiology 2245-2250.
- Nsofor C. A (2011). Studies on The Molecular Epidemiology of Antibiotic Resistant Nigerian Ecovariants of Escherichia coli from Animal and Human Sources. PhD. Thesis University of Nigeria Nsukka. Available online at http://www.unn.edu.ng/publications/files/images/Nsofor%20A.pdf.
- Nsofor C. A., and Iroegbu C.U., (2009).The carrier rate of Streptococcus pneumoniae among Apparently Healthy Individuals in Nsukka, Nigeria. Tropical Journal of Biomedical and Allied Sciences Research. 3(1) 335-340.
- Nsofor C. A., (2007). Studies on Distribution and Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern of Streptococcus pneumoniae Among Symptomatic and Asymptomatic Individuals in Nsukka, Nigeria. .MSc. Thesis University of Nigeria Nsukka.