Barr. Akujobi Campbell
- Academic Staff
- Other Schools
- Our Resources
In recent years, bacterial resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics has risen dramatically. Contributing to this increase has been the spread of extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs), enzymes that hydrolyze the expanded-spectrum cephalosporins, like ceftazidime and cefotaxime, and/or the monobactam and aztreonam. Dr Akujobi’s research is geared towards isolation of bacterial species with the inherent capability to produce these enzymes and elucidation of the different classes of these. Efforts are made to use phytochemicals isolated from local plants to combat the antibiotic resistance in these organisms. In a recent time in Nigeria, there has an increase in the menace of environmental pollution caused by oil exploration and transportation. This has caused tremendous hardship on the host communities of exploration oil companies and has led to constant friction between the members of these communities and the oil companies. There is a need to find an environmentally friendly approach to remedy this situation. Dr Akujobi’s work has been able to discover that the oil-polluted soil can be remediated within a very short time by the use of pollutant-adapted microorganisms with the help of different types of organic nutrient supplements. Due to constant soil nutrient depletion, desert encroachment and indiscriminate environmental pollution in Nigeria, plants especially crop plants are always under environmental stresses which affect their yields. We are trying to identify some plant growth promoting rhizobacteria that would be able to ameliorate these stresses and improve plant yield.
American Society for Microbiology (ASM) Certificate of Recognition as an ASM Minority Mentor (2011).
Quality Control Manager, Up-Dike Industries Limited, Owerri, Imo State.
- C.O. Akujobi, J.N. Ogbulie, S.I. Umeh, N.U. Abanno and I.N. Nwachukwu (2009). Asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnant women at the outpatient clinic of some Government hospitals in Imo State, Nigeria. International Journal of Biological and Chemical Sciences, 3(3): 617-622.
- C.O. Akujobi, H.O. Njoku, N.U. Abanno, S.I. Okorondu and J.N. Ogbulie (2009). Effect of different organic nutrient supplements on the total heterotrophic counts and diesel oil degradation in diesel-polluted soil. International Journal of Biological and Chemical Sciences, 3(6): 1480-1490.
- C.O. Akujobi, V.O. Nwaugo and N.U. Abanno (2009). Effects of animal wastes treatments of diesel polluted soil on hydrocarbon-utilizing microbial counts and diesel oil degradation. International Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences, 5(2): 157-163.
- C.O. Akujobi, J.N. Ogbulie and H.O. Njoku (2010). The effect of extracts of Ocimum gratissimum on the dehydrogenase activities of clinical isolates of Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. International Journal of Agricultural Technology, 6(1): 57-65.
- S.I. Okorondu, T.G. Sokari, M.M. Okorondu and C.O. Akujobi (2009). Phytochemical and antibacterial properties of Acalypha wilkesiana plant. International Journal of Tropical Agriculture and Food Systems, 3(3): 208-211.
- S.I. Okorondu, I.V. Nedosa, B. Wesley and C.O. Akujobi (2009). Ethanol production from cassava. Current Topics in Biotechnology, 5: 65-70.
- H.O. Njoku, C.O. Akujobi and J.N. Ogbulie (2010). Inhibition of dehydrogenase activity in bacterial isolates from palm wine by extracts of Vernonia amygdalina. International Journal of Biological and Chemical Sciences, 4(4): 1093-1101.
- C.O. Akujobi and H.O. Njoku (2010). Bioassay for determination of microbial sensitivity to Nigerian honey. Global Journal of Pharmacology, 4(1): 36-40.
- S.I. Okorondu, T.G. Sokari, C.O. Akujobi and W. Braide (2010). Phytochemical and antibacterial properties of Musa paradisiaca stalk. International Journal Biological Science, 2(3): 128-132.
- H.O. Njoku, C.O. Akujobi and J.N. Ogbulie (2010). Effect of traditional preservatives on the biochemical and shelf life stability of palm wine. Nigerian Journal of Microbiology, 24(1): 2056-2061.
- N.N. Odu, S.N. Maxwell, A.R. Nte and C.O. Akujobi (2010). Helminthiasis among school children in rural communities in Rivers State, Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Microbiology, 24(1): 2219-2223.
- S.I. Okorondu, T.G. Sokari, C.O. Akujobi, and J.N. Ogbulie (2011). Gari extract agar as a culture media for mycological studies. Current Topics in Biotechnology, 6: 35-39.
- C.O. Akujobi, N.N. Odu, S.I. Okorondu and I.N. Nwachukwu (2010). Growth inhibition of AmpC ß-lactamase producing Escherichia coli and metallo ß-lactamase producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa by components of Aloe vera. Current Trends in Microbiology, 6: 35-40.
- A.E. Ejele and C.O. Akujobi (2011). Effect of secondary metabolites of Garcinia kola on the microbial spoilage of Cajanus cajan extract. International Journal of Tropical Agriculture and Food Systems, 5(1): 8-14.
- C.O. Akujobi, R.A. Onyeagba, V.O. Nwaugo and N.N. Odu (2011). Effect of nutrient amendments of diesel polluted soil on plant growth parameters. Current Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 3(4): 421-429.
- C.O. Akujobi, N.N. Odu and S.I. Okorondo (2012). Detection of AmpC beta lactamases in clinical isolates of Escherichia coli and Klebsiella. African Journal of Clinical and Experimental Microbiology, 13(1): 51-55.
- N.N. Odu, H.O. Njoku, N.J.P. Igwiloh and C.O. Akujobi (2011). Bacterial contamination of some edible shellfish harvested from Kalarugbani creek, Rivers State, Nigeria. Animal Production Research Advances, 7(2): 141-148.
- C.O. Akujobi, R.A. Onyeagba, V.O. Nwaugo and N.N. Odu (2011). Protein and chlorophyll contents of Solanum melongena on diesel oil polluted soil amended with nutrient supplements. Current Research Journal of Biological Sciences, 3(5): 516-520.
- C.O. Akujobi, R.A. Onyeagba, V.O. Nwaugo and N.N. Odu (2011). Diesel-oil degrading potentials of bacterial isolates from diesel polluted soil. Current Topics in Biotechnology, 6: 93-101.
- N.N. Odu, C.O. Akujobi, S.N. Maxwell and A.R. Nte (2011). Impact of mass deworming of school children in rural communities in Rivers State, Nigeria: option for programme sustainability. Acta Parasitologica Globalis, 2 (2): 20-24.
- C.O. Akujobi, N.N. Odu, S.I. Okorondu and G.N. Ike (2012). Production of protease by Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus isolated from abattoir environment. Journal of Research in Biology, 2: 77-82.
- C.O. Akujobi, N.N. Odu and S.I. Okorondu (2012). Bioaccumulation of lead by Bacillus species isolated from pig waste. Journal of Research in Biology, 2: 83-89.